Soundtracks - OCRs & CSRs?

Dawn Merlyn Lee

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I was reading a couple of posts, and
I have no idea what these two abbreviations stand for and what they are.
Could someone, uh, help?
So sorry....

Dawn.

Dawn Merlyn Lee
gl...@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au

"[As a therapist] I am supposed to be the agent of happiness as well
as the agent of truth. But maybe truth and happiness antagonize each
other." - Martin E.P. Seligman

"Lunatic Asylum, n.: The place where optimism most flourishes."
- taken off the RMIT Minyos student server

Michael Yee

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

OCR = Original Cast Recording
CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording
OBC = Original Broadway Cast
OLC = Original London Cast

And just a warning that the word "soundtrack" if used to describe a Cast
Recording can potentially get you flamed by somerelentless hardcore
posters here (don't worry... I'm not one of them!).

Mike :)
me...@ucdavis.edu

-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-
-, ,-
-, "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes ,-
-, an even bigger man to laugh at that man." ,-
-, ,-
-, - Jack Handey ,-
-, ,-
-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-

Adara Rose

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

>Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I was reading a couple of posts,
and
>I have no idea what these two abbreviations stand for and what they are.
>Could someone, uh, help?
>So sorry....

Original Cast Recording and Complete Symphonic Recording.

....And then there's what I call CIRs (Complete Illegal Recordings) which
also tend to come up in conversation around here.

Sharon
adar...@aol.com

Joseph Marchese

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Original Cast Recording
Complete Symphonic Recording

to my knowledge

CSR is in reference to the Les Mis and Miss Saigon sets

JMarc...@gnn.com

Byron...@aol.com

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

> CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording

What is a Symphonic Recording of a musical?

Byron

Joseph Marchese

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

This refers to the recordings of LES MIS and MISS SAIGON made by
First Night Records with an international cast and a large symphony
orchestra.

JMarc...@gnn.com

Karen Mercedes

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96
to Dawn Merlyn Lee

OCR = Original Cast Recording

CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording (a new beast)

OLC = Original London Cast

OBC = Original Broadway Cast

soundtrack = the recorded music from a film, including a filmed musical

cast recording = the recorded music from a stage production (though
usually filmed in a studio, rather than live)

studio recording = the recorded music from a musical by people who are not
in a production of that musical...at least not in a product that is going
on at/near the time the studio recording is made. For example, Nelson
Eddy did a studio recording of OKLAHOMA! in 1952, but was never in any
stage or film production of that musical; more recently, Sony brought out
a studio recording of Placido Domingo, Julia Migenes, and Mandy Patinkin
in MAN OF LA MANCHA; none of those stars has ever been in a production of
that show, on stage or on film.

concept recording = the recorded music from a show not yet produced,
usually "floated" to get listening audience feedback and potential
producer/investor interest going in anticipation/hopes of a production.
This kind of thing used to be handled in what were known as "backers'
auditions", but I guess backers who will listen to new shows by unknown
writers are getting harder to find. A concept recording is an expensive
form of advertisement; it gets the show and its writer(s) enough exposure
that they can pretend they've actually been in the business successfully
for a while, rather than being nobodies from Podunk who just happen to
have written a show. Of course, one does have to find a backer to produce
the concept album.... On the other hand, the concept album may be a way
of finding someone to do one's work for one, in the case of a certain
composer I know who managed to inspire a writer I know to totally rework
the problematic lyrics on one of his concept albums; I'm not sure if he is
actually going to pay her, or just take advantage of her labour of love.

Karen Mercedes
merc...@access.digex.net

=====

Karen Mercedes

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96
to Byron...@aol.com

It is a studio or concert performance that uses a full symphony orchestra,
such as the London Philharmonic, in place of the theatre orchestra
(theatre orchestras tend to be smaller than full symphony orchestras).
The "Complete" means they are recording the entire score, not just
excerpts, as they do on "Highlights" and "Selections" cast recordings.

Karen Mercedes

=====

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996 Byron...@aol.com wrote:

> > CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording

Amanda Chesterton

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Byron...@aol.com wrote:

>> CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording
>
>What is a Symphonic Recording of a musical?
>
>Byron

Using the Les Miz CSR as an example:

Comparing it with the orchestra used in the actual show, you'd see that
the CSR orchestra is much larger with a larger proportion of 'real'
instrments to synthesisers. A lot of the parts are taken by real
violins, trumpets etc instead of synthesised versions therof.

Amanda