Soundtracks - OCRs & CSRs

Jun...@aol.com

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <Pine.OSF.3.94.96070...@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU>,
Dawn Merlyn Lee <gl...@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU> writes:

>Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I was reading a couple of posts, and
>I have no idea what these two abbreviations stand for and what they are.
>Could someone, uh, help?
>So sorry....
>
>Dawn.

A Soundtrack refers to a film or TV version of a show. (Even though TV shows
don't literally have "soundtracks", and many film "soundtracks" are actually
studio recordings of the show with the movie cast).

OCR - An Original Cast Recording of a stage show. Some shows have several -
the OBCR, or OBC - Original Broadway Cast Recording, the OLC or OLCR -
Original London Cast Recording, or the OBRC or ORC - Original Broadway
Revival Cast, Original Revival Cast. (Again, almost no stage shows are
actually recorded live - most are recorded in a studio using the original
cast.)

CSR is Complete Symphonic Recording - A fairly new designation referring to
new studio albums released featuring the entire scores of Miss Saigon and Les
Miserables.