rec.arts.theatre.* Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): part 2/3

Andrew Chia-Tso Ku

Jul 26, 1994, 4:04:15 AM7/26/94
Archive-name: theatre/part2
Last-modified: 1994/7/25

TABLE OF CONTENTS
FAQ Part II: Composers and Frequently discussed musicals

# = new or significantly revised

6. COMPOSERS
6.1 CLAUDE MICHEL SCHOENBERG [SP]
6.1.1 Shows to Date
6.1.2 Current Projects
6.1.3 Recordings, Videos, Books, etc.
6.1.4 Les Miserables Tour Dates
6.1.5 Miss Saigon Mailing List and Magazine
6.2 ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER [SP]
6.2.1 Shows to Date
6.2.2 Current Projects
6.2.3 Recordings of Shows
6.2.4 Other Recording/Compilations [ML/SP]
6.3 STEPHEN SONDHEIM [JAC]
6.3.1 Shows to Date
6.3.1.1 Lyrics and Music
6.3.1.2 Lyrics only
6.3.2 Current Projects
6.3.3 Recordings, Awards, Additional Info.
6.3.3.1 Shows (as composer and lyricist)
6.3.3.2 Revues, Concerts, etc.
6.3.4 Newsletters/Journals
6.3.4.1 The Stephen Sondheim Society
# 6.3.4.2 The Sondheim Review

7. FREQUENTLY DISCUSSED MUSICALS
7.1 CHESS versions/recordings [ELN]
7.2 JEKYLL AND HYDE [HN]
7.3 CARRIE [AK]

8. PERFORMERS ON RECORD AND VIDEO
8.1 Michael Ball [RS]
8.2 Sarah Brightman [SP]
8.3 Michael Crawford [SP]
8.4 Frances Rufelle [SP]
8.5 Lea Salonga [SP]
8.6 Colm Wilkinson [RS]
8.7 Julie Andrews [HG]

** 6. COMPOSERS ********************************************************

For foreign recordings, try Footlight or Dress Circle (see section 4.1)

Symbols for the Recordings Listings:

* = show
> = audio recording (running time) - label, if known
V> = video
B> = book

6.1 CLAUDE MICHEL SCHONBERG [SP]

6.1.1 SHOWS TO DATE

LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE - Boublil and Schonberg's first musical,
produced in the early 1970's. Very rock beat and completely in
French. About the French Revolution. Even has Schonberg in a
singing role.

LES MISERABLES (1985) - Musicalization of the Victor Hugo novel. Won
the Tony Award for best musical in 1987.

MISS SAIGON (1989) - Madame Butterfly-type story taking place during
and after the Vietnam War. Nominated for best musical Tony Award in
1991.

6.1.2 CURRENT PROJECTS

Boublil/Schonberg are currently working on a musical version of the movie
THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE (recently remade as SOMMERSBY). Cameron
Mackintosh will produce, with an opening scheduled for spring 1995 in
London. No cast has been announced but the director will be Declan
Donnellan and the designer Nick Ormerod. The Boublil/Schonberg
production is not to be confused with MARTIN GUERRE, the Ames/Harrington
musical produced at Hartford Stage in 1993 starring Patrick Cassidy
and Judy Kuhn, or THE HOUSE OF MARTIN GUERRE a musical produced in Toronto
in the spring of 1993.

LES MIS movie info: Alan Parker [FAME, BUGSY MALONE, PINK FLOYD THE
WALL, BIRDY] was initially chosen by Cameron Mackintosh to direct the
movie for Tristar Pictures. Parker pulled out, and was replaced by
Bruce Beresford [DRIVING MISS DAISY, BLACK ROBE]. Beresford has since
dropped out, and as of April 1993, the movie was in pre-production at
TriStar Pictures with the following creative team:

Producers: Cameron Mackintosh, David Matalon, Chris Kenny
Director: Richard Attenborough
Screenwriters: Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schonberg

6.1.3 RECORDINGS, VIDEOS, BOOKS, ETC.

*LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE

>Original French Cast - First Night

*LES MISERABLES

>Original 1980 French Concept Album (90 min.) - First Night
- Before this was the musical as it is known now. Much more rock/disco
with some different music and extra characters.
>London Cast Recording (100) - First Night
- First english production. Contains "Little People" and "I Saw Him
Once' which were cut for the Broadway version.
- Cast: Colm Wilkinson Valjean
Roger Allum Javert
Patti LuPone Fantine
Michael Ball Marius
Rebeccah Caine Cosette
Frances Ruffelle Eponine
David Burt Enjolras
>Broadway Cast Recording (100) - Geffen
- Production as it is now. Includes Tony Award Winners Frances Ruffelle
and Michael Maguire. Won Grammy Award as well.
- Cast: Colm Wilkinson Valjean
Terrence Mann Javert
Randy Graff Fantine
David Bryant Marius
Judy Kuhn Cosette
Frances Ruffelle Eponine
Michael Maguire Enjolras
>Symphonic Recording (165) - First Night
- This is the only recording of the entire show. Cast members come
from different productions from all over the world including London,
New York, Sydney, Los Angeles and Tokyo. Won Grammy.
- Cast: Gary Morris Valjean New York
Phillip Quast Javert Sydney
Debbie Byrne Fantine Sydney
Michael Ball Marius London
Tracy Shayne Cosette New York
Kaho Shimada Eponine Tokyo
Anthony Warlow Enjolras Sydney
>Hungarian Cast (60)
>Austrian Cast (100)
>Israeli Cast (45)
>Japanese Single
- 2 songs: "On My Own" sung by Kaho Shimada and "Do You Hear the
People Sing"
>Swedish Cast (70)
>Manchester Cast Highlights
- Cast: Ria Jones Fantine
Philip Quast Javert
Meredith Braun Eponine
Jeff Leyton Valjean
Mike Sterling Marius
- 5 songs: "I Dreamed a Dream", "Stars", "On My Own", "Bring Him Home",
"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"
>Dutch Cast (Mercury Records 120)
>1991 Original Paris (Trema Records 120)
>Prague Cast
>Danish Cast
>Korean Cast
>Spanish Cast
>"On My Own" rock single with Frances Ruffelle
V>Stage by Stage: Les Miserables
- Video with clips of show around the world plus clips of
production team.
B>The Complete Book of Les Miserables - Edward Behr

*MISS SAIGON

>London Cast (120) - Geffen
- Cast: Lea Salonga Kim
Jonathan Pryce Engineer
Simon Bowman Chris
Peter Polycarpou John
Claire Moore Ellen
>Japanese highlights
-7 songs including "I'd Give My Life for You" twice by 2 Kims.
>Complete Japanese Cast recorded live
V>The Heat is On: The Making of Miss Saigon
B>The Story of Miss Saigon book by Mark Steyn and Ed Behr

6.1.4 LES MISERABLES TOUR DATES

The following is from The Barricade, a LES MISERABLES newsletter.
For subscription information, send email to:
val...@cs.stanford.edu

OPENING DATE CITY

July 13, 1994 Baltimore, Maryland
August 9, 1994 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
August 23, 1994 Regina, Saskatchewan
September 6, 1994 Kitchner, Ontario
September 20, 1994 Hartford, Connecticut
September 27, 1994 Providence, Rhode Island
October 4, 1994 State College, Pennsylvania
October 11, 1994 Cincinatti, Ohio
October 18, 1994 Toledo, Ohio
October 25, 1994 Indianapolis, Indiana
November 1, 1994 Springfield, Missouri
November 8, 1994 Omaha, Nebraska
November 15, 1994 Des Moines, Iowa
November 22, 1994 Witchita, Kansas
November 30, 1994 Chicago, Illinois
January 10, 1995 New Orleans, Louisiana
January 17, 1995 Houston, Texas
January 24, 1995 Austin Texas
January 31, 1995 San Antonio, Texas
February 7, 1995 Fort Worth, Texas

6.1.5 MISS SAIGON mailing list

To join the Internet MISS SAIGON mailing list, send
a message to: majo...@world.std.com
with the command: subscribe miss-saigon
in the body of the message.

See FAQ section 2.2 for details.

6.2 ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER [SP]

6.2.1 SHOWS TO DATE

Each title is followed by name of lyricist.

JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT (Tim Rice)
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (Tim Rice)
JEEVES (Alan Ayckbourn)
EVITA (Tim Rice)
CATS (T.S. Eliot)
SONG AND DANCE (Don Black)
STARLIGHT EXPRESS (Don Black and Richard Stilgoe)
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe)
CRICKET (Tim Rice)
ASPECTS OF LOVE (Charles Hart and Don Black)
SUNSET BOULEVARD (Don Black and Christopher Hampton)

6.2.2 CURRENT PROJECTS

SUNSET BOULEVARD - ALW's musical version of the Billy Wilder movie
opened July 12/93 at the Adelphi Theatre in London to mixed reviews.
It starred Patti LuPone and Kevin Anderson (SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY),
but Anderson has since left and LuPone has been replaced by Betty
Buckley. The Los Angeles production opened December 9/93 at the
Shubert Theatre, and featured Glenn Close (Norma), Alan Campbell (Joe),
George Hearn (Max), and Judy Kuhn (Betty). The LA version differed
from the original London production in several ways, including
the addition of a new song ("Every Movie's a Circus"), more musical
underscoring, driving a Bentley onstage, etc. These changes have since
been incorporated into the London production. Close will play Norma
on Broadway, which begins previews at the Minskoff Nov. 1/94 and
opens Nov. 17/94. Campbell will follow Close to NY, but not Kuhn.
Close's successor in the LA production was to be Faye Dunaway,
but the producers closed down the show with Close's final performance
June 26/94, claiming that Dunaway was not up to the vocal demands
of the role. The creative team for SUNSET BOULEVARD includes
Christopher Hampton, who wrote the book (although it appears to have
been taken mostly from the movie), Trevor Nunn (direction), and John
Napier (sets). The LA cast recording is to be released September 13,
to coincide with the opening of the Minskoff box office.

EVITA movie - This project has a long history. There have been rumors
of them wanting Meryl Streep (directed by Oliver Stone; Streep pulled
out at the last moment, citing exhaustion from her previous movie),
Barbra Streisand (listen to Forbidden Broadway for this version),
Sarah Brightman and Madonna to play the lead. Supposedly Touchstone/
Disney was going to produce the movie, to be directed by Glen Gordon
Caron (writer/producer of TV's MOONLIGHTING and director of CLEAN
AND SOBER) and wanted Madonna to play Eva but Lloyd Webber didn't
like the idea (for one thing, Madonna wanted some new songs written
for her). Oliver Stone had reactivated the project in 1994, to
star Michelle Pfeiffer, Antonio Banderas (Che) and Raul Julia (Peron)
but Stone pulled out in mid-July after budget disagreements with
Hollywood Pictures. The studio is looking for a replacement director.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA movie - This is another one that has been
rumored for quite a while yet never seems to get made. Rumored leads
have been Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman and one would assume
Steve Barton. Joel Schumacher (ST. ELMO'S FIRE, THE CLIENT, BATMAN
FOREVER) was initially scheduled to direct but he pulled out. Still
nothing happening yet.

ASPECTS OF LOVE movie - This is another rumored project that hasn't
begun filming yet. Supposedly Lloyd Webber wants Brightman as Rose
and this wouldn't be surprising since he has had her playing Rose on
Broadway, London and for part of the American tour.

CATS animated movie - Supposedly Steven Spielberg is to produce this,
with script by Tom Stoppard, although there have recently been
reports of a creative falling out between ALW and Spielberg.

6.2.3 RECORDINGS OF SHOWS

*JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT

This is the first musical that Lloyd Webber and Rice had produced.
Originally it started off as a piece for a Children's choir and later
became a Broadway musical. The original production was only 15 minutes
long (the first recording ran about 1/2 an hour) but as the years went
by more songs were add to it so that the Broadway production of the early
80's ran for 60 minutes. In 1991 a new production was staged in London
which is currently running. This show now lasts about 2 hours with the
introduction of more dance sequences and the repeating of songs. A
production with Donny Osmond is touring the United States and Canada and
a production with Michael Damian is currently running at the Minskoff
Theater on Broadway (closes May 29/94)

>Original 1968 Cast (25 min)
-This has Tim Rice playing Pharoah. It is very 60's rock and similar
to the new production.
>1974 London Cast
>1979 London Cast
>1982 Broadway Cast (60) - Chrysalis
-Stars Bill Hutton as Joseph and Laurie Beechman as the Narrator.
This is a much more musicalized version of the show. It was nominated
for a Tony Award and runs about 60 minutes.
>1991 London Cast (72) - Polydor
-Stars Jason Donovan as Joseph and Linzi Hately as the Narrator. This is
a very modernized, rock version of the show.
>1992 Toronto Cast (72)
-Stars Donny Osmond as Joseph and Janet Metz as the Narrator. Same
production as the 1991 London.
>1993 Los Angeles Cast
-Stars Michael Damian as Joseph and Kelli Rabke as the Narrator. This
is the cast that will play on Broadway.
>South African Cast
>Irish Cast
>Israeli Cast
>Mexican Cast

*JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

This is Lloyd Webber's and Rice's musical detailing the last days of Jesus.
Some argue that this should have been called Judas Iscariot Superstar
since the show is basically detailing Judas's dilemma in betraying
Jesus. There have been a lot of new recordings and productions coming out
to celebrate its 20th year Anniversary. Some music from this show came
from the Original Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

>Original Concept Recording (90)
- Cast: Ian Gilliam Jesus
Murray Head Judas
Yvonne Elliman Mary Magdalene
- This is the original studio version before this became a musical.
Very rock and features the voices of Rice and Lloyd Webber as
chorus members.
>Original London Cast
>Original Broadway Cast (45)
- Cast: Ben Vereen Judas
Yvonne Elliman Mary Magdalene
>Motion Picture Soundtrack (100)
- Cast: Ted Neely Jesus
Carl Anderson Judas
Yvonne Elliman Mary Magdalene
>Hungarian Cast
>German Cast
>French Cast
>Russian Cast
>Original Australian Cast(45)
>Japanese Cast
>Mexican Cast
>Danish Cast
>Brazilian Cast
>Swedish Cast
>20th Anniversary Recording(100)
- Cast: Paul Nicholas Jesus
Keith Burns Judas
Claire Moore Mary Magdalene
>Australian Cast(60)
- This is an even more rock version of the show in the same manner of
the new Joseph production. Features among other performances, a
heavy metal "Herod's Song" and a very Top-40 "I Don't Know How to
Love Him."
V> Movie directed by Norman Jewison

*JEEVES

>Original London Cast(50)
- There is indeed a recording for Lloyd Webber's only flop. This is
based on the Jeeves novels by P.G. Wodehouse. One of the criticisms
of this show is that the book dragged it down and the Jeeves was
just a background character. Sadly, the record is out of print.
Some rare record store might have it but expect to pay up to $200
if you are lucky enough to find it. The recording is missing some
of the show's songs but in the end proves to be a pretty good listen.

*EVITA

Musical of the life of Eva Peron. Winner of Best Musical and Best Actress
Tony Awards among others. Started off as a concept recording like Jesus
Christ Superstar and was later turned into a staged musical.

>Original Concept Recording - MCA(120)
- very rock and contains the song "The Lady's Got Potential" as well as
Che's insecticide plot line which were eventually dropped for staged
production.
- Cast: Julie Covington Evita
C.T. (Colm) Wilkinson Che
Paul Jones Peron
>Original London Cast(60)
- They only released a highlights recording of this cast.
- Cast: Elaine Paige Evita
David Essex Che
Joss Ackland Peron
>Original American Cast(110)
- Cast: Patti Lupone Evita
Mandy Patinkin Che
Bob Gunton Peron
>Spanish Cast(110) - Epic
>American Touring Company
>Australian Cast
>New Zealand Cast
>Korean Cast
>Brazilian Cast
>Hungarian Cast
>Mexican Cast
>South African Cast
>German Cast
>Israeli Cast
>Japanese Cast

*CATS

>Original London Cast(120)
- This recording has Elaine Paige, Paul Nicholas, Brian Blessed, and
Sarah Brightman among others. It has a different version of
"Mungojerrie and Rumpleteaser" from the future productions and
includes the song the "Ballad of Billy McGraw".
>Original Broadway Cast(120)
- This recording has Betty Buckley, Terrence Mann, and Ken Page among
others. In order to make fun of those who claimed he had stolen from
Puccini, Lloyd Webber wrote "Growltiger's Last Stand" to replace the
"Ballad of Billy McGraw" as a Puccini parody.
>Australian Cast(90)
- This is the only english recording with the "Pekes and the Pollicles"
on it.
>German Cast(60)
>German Cast live(120)
>Japanese Cast
>Dutch Cast
>French Cast(120)

*SONG AND DANCE

Song and Dance is a combination of Tell Me on a Sunday and Variations.
Unexpected Song was added for the Broadway version.

>London Cast with Marti Webb(100)
- This was recorded live and contains both the Song and Dance portions.
>Broadway Cast with Bernadette Peters, songs only(60) - RCA
>London with Sarah Brightman
>German Cast
V>BBC broadcast with Sarah Brightman

*STARLIGHT EXPRESS

>Original London Cast - Polydor(100)
-with Frances Ruffelle as Dinah
>American Concept Recording - MCA
>German Cast(60)
>German Cast live
>German Cast - 1993
>Australian/Japanese Touring Company (in English)(45)
>1993 London Starlight Express

*THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

This is Andrew Lloyd Webber's biggest hit yet. One of the most often
talked about subjects is who is the best Phantom. Phantoms that a large
number of people appear to like include Michael Crawford, Colm
Wilkinson, Davis Gaines, and Dave Willetts. This show has played to sell
out crowds on London and Broadway since it opened in 1987 and 1988
respectively. Alan Jay Lerner was going to write the original lyrics for
this show but died before he could begin work. This is also relevant
because a lot of people accuse Lloyd Webber of having stolen "Music of the
Night" from "Come to me, Bend to me" from Brigadoon, but this does not
appear to have attracted notice from that show's lyricist.

>London Cast (100 min.) - Polydor
- Cast: Michael Crawford Phantom
Sarah Brightman Christine
Steve Barton Raoul
- This is the same cast that went to Broadway.
>Toronto Cast (70) - Polydor
- Cast: Colm Wilkinson Phantom
Rebeccah Caine Christine
Byron Nease Raoul
- This is a highlights recording but it does include the Hannibal opera
which was not on the London Cast Recording.
>Hamburg Cast Highlights(50 min)
>Vienesse Cast(120)
>Swedish Cast(110)
- Basically the whole show recorded live.
>1988 Japanese Cast(120)
>1992 Japanese Cast(120)
>Dutch Cast Highlights

*ASPECTS OF LOVE

Lloyd Webber's musical based on the David Garnett novel. This show has
met mixed success. It played 3 years in London but didn't even last one
year on Broadway. It is currently touring the United States in a revamped
Robin Phillips production. Some people complain that this show consists
of 1 song others are quick to point out the many musical themes in this
show. There has been debate about the relationship between the beginning
and ending of the play and it has been generally resolved that the
beginning takes place right after Alex has left Rose and Jenny and has met
Giulietta. In the touring production this means that it is actually
George's body in the casket.

>Original London Cast(137) - Polydor
- Cast: Michael Ball Alex
Ann Crumb Rose
Kevin Colson George
Kathleen Rowe McAllen Giullieta

*SUNSET BOULEVARD

Musical version of the Billy Wilder movie, which opened in London
July 12, 1993. The London Cast Recording (a.k.a. World Premiere
Recording) was released in England in August 1993, and is now
available domestically in the U.S. The LA cast has been recorded,
and the CD will be released September 13.

>Original London Cast - Polydor
-Cast: Patti LuPone Norma Desmond
Kevin Anderson Joe Gillis
Meredith Braun Betty Schaeffer
Daniel Benzali Max von Mayerling
>Sunset Boulevard Single (Michael Ball)
>The Perfect Year Single (Glenn Close)

6.2.4 OTHER RECORDINGS/COMPILATIONS [ML/SP]

>The Premiere Collection (50) - MCA
- 14 singles from Superstar to Phantom, including the Phantom rock
version with Steve Harley and Sarah Brightman.
>The Premiere Collection Encore (60) - Polydor
- 16 singles from Evita to the new production of Joseph, including
"Amigos Para Siempre", the 1992 Summer Olympics theme.
V>The Premiere Collection Encore (90) - Polydor
- 16 videos based mostly on songs found in the two Premiere
Collection recordings.
>Requiem (70) - EMI
- A Latin mass written in tribute to ALW's late father. Features
Placido Domingo, Sarah Brightman, and Paul Miles-Kingston.
>Variations, 1978 (40) - MCA
- These variations on Paganini's 24th caprice in A minor were
written for Julian Lloyd Webber's cello/rock band. This work was
later adapted into the dance portion of Song and Dance.
>Variations, 1986 (40) - Philips
- A reworking of the original Variations for full orchestra.
>The Magic of Andrew Lloyd Webber
>The Magic of Andrew Lloyd Webber II
>The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber (60) - First Night
- 15 songs from Superstar to Phantom, featuring Paul Nicholas
and Stephanie Lawrence
>Andrew Lloyd Webber Love Songs (50) - Silva
- Somewhat of a misnomer--after all, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"
can hardly be called a love song. Dave Willetts is one of the
featured singers.
>Ovation
>Essentials (70) - Koch
- 17 songs from Evita to Aspects. One of the featured singers is
is Claire Moore
>The Odessa File soundtrack
>Gumshoe soundtrack
>"Amigos Para Siempre"
-Lloyd Webber was commissioned to write this theme for the 1992 Summer
Olympics in Barcelona. It is sung by Sarah Brightman and Jose Carreras
and has lyrics by Don Black in English and Gloria Estefan in Spanish.

*Artists who have put out Andrew Lloyd Webber collections:

Sarah Brightman
Michael Crawford
Marina Prior
Jose Carrerras
Stephanie Lawrence

6.3 STEPHEN SONDHEIM [JAC]

6.3.1 SHOWS TO DATE

6.3.1.1 LYRICS AND MUSIC

Broadway musicals unless otherwise indicated. Each title is followed
by year of first production and name of librettist.

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM (1962; Burt
Shevelove & Larry Gelbart after Plautus)
ANYONE CAN WHISTLE (1964; Arthur Laurents)
EVENING PRIMROSE (1966; James Goldman after Collier)
television musical
COMPANY (1970; George Furth)
FOLLIES (1971; James Goldman)
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC (1973; Hugh Wheeler after Bergman)
THE FROGS (1974; Burt Shevelove after Aristophanes) play
with music, Yale School of Drama
PACIFIC OVERTURES (1976; John Weidman)
SWEENEY TODD, THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (1979; Hugh
Wheeler after Bond)
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG (1981; George Furth after Kaufman &
Hart)
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE (1984; James Lapine)
INTO THE WOODS (1987; James Lapine)
DICK TRACY (1990) songs for film
ASSASSINS (1991; John Weidman) off-Broadway
PASSION (1994; James Lapine)

6.3.1.2 LYRICS ONLY

Composer listed first, then librettist.

WEST SIDE STORY (1957; Leonard Bernstein; Arthur Laurents)
GYPSY (1959; Jule Styne; Arthur Laurents)
DO I HEAR A WALTZ? (1965; Richard Rodgers; Arthur Laurents)
THE EXCEPTION AND THE RULE (project abandoned 1968; Leonard
Bernstein; John Guare after Brecht) also known under the
working titles THE ROAD TO URGA and A PRAY BY BLECHT
CANDIDE (additional lyrics for 1973 revision; Leonard
Bernstein; Hugh Wheeler after Voltaire)

6.3.2 CURRENT PROJECTS

PASSION (1994; James Lapine)

The new Sondheim-Lapine collaboration was initially announced
to be 2 one-act musicals sharing the theme of physical beauty:
one based on the book MUSCLE, about bodybuilding, and the
other based on FOSCA, a 18th century Italian novella by Iginio
Tarchetti (already filmed as PASSIONE D'AMORE.) Since then,
PASSION has been expanded into a full-fledged show, and in
October 1993, a workshop was held at Lincoln Center Theater.
PASSION began previews March 24, 1994 at the Plymouth Theater
in New York and opened May 9, 1994 to mixed reviews. The cast
includes Donna Murphy, Jere Shea, Marin Mazzie, Gregg Edelman,
Tom Aldredge, Francis Ruivivar, Chris Groenendaal, and Matthew
Poretta. The show was recorded by Angel-EMI on May 29/94 and
the recording will be released August 16/94. The Italian novel
FOSCA has just been translated into English and published
by Mercury House under the title of PASSION (ISBN NUMBER:
1-56279-064-1, 224 pp. $12.95)

INTO THE WOODS film (19--; Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel)

SINGING OUT LOUD (1995?; William Goldman)
A film musical project to be directed by Rob Reiner.

6.3.3 RECORDINGS, AWARDS, ADDITIONAL INFO.
(OC = original cast)

6.3.3.1 Shows (as composer and lyricist)

*SATURDAY NIGHT

Sondheim's first Broadway musical, abandoned when its producer
died. Several of its songs have been recorded in anthologies
(see below).

*A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM

A fast-paced farce in which the songs serve as interludes.
The film dropped many of the songs and was overproduced, but
does preserve the performances of Mostel and Gilford.

>OC: Bay Cities CD (scheduled also for reissue on Broadway
Angel).
- Cast: Zero Mostel, Jack Gilford.

*ANYONE CAN WHISTLE

A 9-performance flop.

>OC: CBS CD; the CD adds music omitted from the LP.
- Cast: Angela Lansbury (her first musical), Lee Remick, Harry
Guardino.

*EVENING PRIMROSE

Based on a short story; score comprises only 4 songs. No
recording except for a medley of the songs on Mandy Patinkin's
"Dress Casual" CD (Bernadette Peters as guest artist).

*COMPANY

The show that established Sondheim's stature, a mixture
of musical and revue with urban life and personal commitment
as the themes.

Tony awards: Musical, Music, Lyrics, Book, Director, Scenic
Design
>OC: CBS CD.
- Cast: Dean Jones, Barbara Barrie, Elaine Stritch, Donna
McKechnie, Beth Howland, Charles Kimbrough, George Coe.
- There is also a "London Cast" album which is the OC with
Dean Jones's voice tracks replaced by those of his
replacement, Larry Kert (to be reissued on CD on English CBS).
V>Video documentary of recording session: RCA Video.

*FOLLIES

None of the three recordings conveys the full stature of
this score and show, arguably Sondheim's finest. The first
is too truncated, the second inattentive to dramatic values,
the third unwisely revised; all are seriously incomplete.

Tony awards: Music and Lyrics, Director, Choreographer,
Scenic Design, Costumes, Lighting, Actress (Alexis
Smith)
>OC: Broadway Angel CD.
- Cast: Alexis Smith, Dorothy Collins, Yvonne De Carlo,
Gene Nelson, John McMartin, Mary McCarty, Ethel Shutta.
- CD contains 1 song not on LP.
>Concert cast: RCA, 2 CDs.
- Cast: Barbara Cook, Lee Remick, Carol Burnett, George
Hearn, Mandy Patinkin, Elaine Stritch, Comden & Green,
Liz Callaway, Howard McGillin.
>1987 revision, London cast: First Night, 2 CDs.
- Cast: Julia McKenzie, Diana Rigg, Delores Gray, Daniel
Massey.

*A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

Based on the Bergman film SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT, with an
operetta score based on variants of triple meter.

Tony awards: Musical, Music and Lyrics, Book, Actress
(Glynis Johns), Supporting Actress (Patricia Elliott)
Academy award [film version]: Adaptation Score
>OC: CBS CD.
- Cast: Glynis Johns, Hermione Gingold, Len Cariou,
Patricia Elliott, Victoria Mallory, Laurence Guittard.
V>The film version is too poor to be worth much attention.
V>The NY City Opera production televised on PBS is better,
but not commercially available.

*THE FROGS

Originally done in and around a swimming pool. No recording;
2 songs ("Invocation and Instructions" and "Fear No More"--
lyrics by Shakespeare) have been recorded in compilations.

*PACIFIC OVERTURES

A depiction of the recent history of Japan in modified Kabuki
style, with an all-male (till the finale), originally
all-Asian cast.

Tony awards: Costume Design, Scenic Design

>OC: RCA CD.
- Cast: Mako, Soon-Teck Oh, Sab Shimono, Gedde Watanabe,
Isao Sato.
>English National Opera production: TER, 2 CDs (complete
including dialog).

*SWEENEY TODD, THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET

Sondheim's closest approach to opera, a large-scale piece
in which all but about 15 minutes is set to music, and which
has been done by opera companies.

Tony awards: Musical, Book, Score, Actor (Len Cariou),
Actress (Angela Lansbury), Director, Scenic Design,
Costume Design

>OC: RCA, 2 CDs (highlights on 1 CD).
- Cast: Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury, Victor Garber.
V>Video of LA stage performance (RKO Video)
- Cast: Lansbury, George Hearn, Cris Groenendaal, Betsy Joslyn.

*MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG

A Broadway failure which has often been performed by schools
and universities, and which has been repeatedly revised by its
authors.

>OC: RCA CD.
- Cast: Jim Walton, Ann Morrison, Lonny Price, Jason
Alexander.

*SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE

An examination of the artist's changing role in terms of
the painter Georges Seurat and a modern counterpart.

Tony awards: Scenic Design, Lighting Design
Pulitzer Prize for Drama (1985)

>OC: RCA CD.
- Cast: Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters, Charles Kimbrough,
Dana Ivey, Cris Groenendaal, Barbara Bryne, Robert Westenberg,
Brent Spiner.
V>Video of stage performance: original cast. (Karl-Lorimar Video)

*INTO THE WOODS

This combination of 4 traditional fairy tales with a new one,
examining the aftereffects of their stories, provided Sondheim
with his longest Broadway run since FORUM.

Tony awards: Score, Book, Actress (Joanna Gleason)

>OC: RCA Victor CD.
- Cast: Bernadette Peters, Joanna Gleason, Chip Zien, Tom
Aldredge, Robert Westenberg, Chuck Wagner, Kim Crosby,
Ben Wright, Danielle Ferland.
>London cast: RCA Victor (one new song in this version).
- Cast: Julia McKenzie, Imelda Staunton.
V>Video of stage production: Original cast.

*DICK TRACY

Academy award: Original Song ("Sooner or Later")

- 5 "period" songs. 3 sung by Madonna (one as a duet with
Mandy Patinkin); they are performed by her (not the
soundtrack performances) in her album "I'm Breathless."
The other 2, background choral numbers in the film, can
be heard on the Carnegie Hall concert recording.
V>Film available on video (Touchstone/Buena Vista)

*ASSASSINS

A 90-minute one-act show, an examination of the role of
assassins in American history in revue-like nightmarish
format.

>Original cast: RCA Victor CD.
- Cast: Victor Garber, Jonathan Hadary, Terrence Mann, Annie
Golden, Debra Monk.

6.3.3.2 Revues, Concerts, etc.

SONDHEIM: A MUSICAL TRIBUTE (1973; tribute concert), RCA
Victor, 2 CDs
SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM (1976; revue), RCA, 2 LPs, not
reissued on CD
MARRY ME A LITTLE (1981; revue), RCA CD
A STEPHEN SONDHEIM EVENING (1983; concert), RCA, 2 LPs;
program available for performance as YOU'RE GONNA LOVE
TOMORROW
SONDHEIM (1985; newly recorded anthology), Book-of-the-Month
records, 2 CDs
A COLLECTOR'S SONDHEIM (1985; reissue anthology), RCA, 3 CDs
SONDHEIM: A CARNEGIE HALL CELEBRATION (1992; tribute
concert), RCA, 2 CDs. Abbreviated (90-minute) version on
RCA Video
PUTTING IT TOGETHER (1993; revue), RCA 2-CD recording

6.3.4 Newsletters/Journals

6.3.4.1 The Stephen Sondheim Society

The Stephen Sondheim Society, based in Britain, was formed
in 1993 to promote the works of the composer. US membership is
20 pounds, and benefits include a newsletter listing British
professional and amateur productions of Sondheim shows, reviews
of new recordings, and other Sondheim-related articles. This is
a "sanctioned" appreciation society. For more information,
write to:

The Stephen Sondheim Society
c/o Dress Circle, 57/59 Monmouth Street
Upper St. Martin's Lane
London WC2H 9DG
UK

6.3.4.2 The Sondheim Review

The Sondheim Review is a quarterly journal devoted to Sondheim's
works. The cost is $19.95 for 4 issues.

The Sondheim Review
Box 11213
Chicago, IL 60611-0123

or phone 1-800-584-1020

** 7. FREQUENTLY DISCUSSED MUSICALS ************************************

7.1 CHESS versions/recordings [ELN]

The "original" CHESS recording is the black & white "London" CHESS.
This is the concept album, recorded when they were touring with the
show in England as a concert to raise money to stage it. They got the
money, songs became top 10 hits, and they put it on as a musical with
Michael Bennett as the director. They ended up with most of the
touring singers as the actors, so they did not record the London Cast
Album even though there were changes to the show. Michael Bennett
died shortly before the show went up, and Trevor Nunn was hired. He
did not like Bennett's work, and when the show moved to Broadway he
took the opportunity to re-work the show in his own style. Likewise,
the politics of the show were updated to reflect the current
situation. The Broadway version, with a new director, new cast, plot
changes, and some songs added and dropped, was recorded as "the
Original Broadway Cast Recording". This recording has the red, white
and blue logo with the figures running. The show didn't do as well as
hoped (closing after running only a few months), so the next few
productions did more plot changes and more song re-arranging. None of
these productions has been officially recorded.

Andrew Lloyd Webber often released albums of the music in order to
gauge the reaction and raise money. JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR and EVITA
were handled this way. Since Tim Rice had worked with ALW, he knew
the "Original Concept Album" was a Good Thing.

Current licensed productions of CHESS are based on the Broadway
production. Changing the show to be more like the London Concept
Album is considered a breech of copyright, and the show will be shut
down. (see archives on CHESS)

7.2 JEKYLL AND HYDE [HN]

JEKYLL AND HYDE was first issued as a concept recording on BMG
featuring Colm Wilkinson and Linda Eder. The stage production had its
world premiere in Houston (see below). J&H has never played New York
or London. A Broadway production, directed by Vivian Matalon (THE TAP
DANCE KID) and starring Terrence Mann, was not mounted in the spring
of 1993, as was planned. Wildhorn's concept album THE SCARLET
PIMPERNEL, featuring Eder, was released in 1993.

>From Hung K.M. Nguyen [ngu...@paranet.com], Nov 1991:

Jekyll and Hyde has music by Frank Wildhorn (previously best known as
a pop composer--he has penned hits for the likes of Whitney Houston)
and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse, who has won virtually every award in
the business. The show previewed here in Houston, where it became
immensely popular and held over twice. The stars are Chuck Wagner (one
of the princes in the orig. cast of Stephen Sondheim's INTO THE WOODS)
and Linda Eder, a newcomer with a marvelous voice which reminds many
folks of Streisand.

I saw the show twice and found it terrific. The Houston cast sang it
as well as I've ever seen any show performed (and i've seen many). The
characterizations are good, Wagner making an imposing figure on stage
with his rich voice and 6'5" frame. The actor (can't recall the name)
playing the villain nearly steals the show with his outstandingly
slimy portrayal. Eder, while still needing much seasoning as an
actress, is an absolutely marvelous singer (Bricusse calls her the
best he's worked with in his 22 years of winning oscars and emmys and
tonys) who gets all of the best (sad) songs and uses them well to melt
the audience in her role as the prostitute/victim. There is an amusing
barroom scene.

The "Concept album" features Eder with the great Colm Wilkinson (of
Les Miserables fame; he's the orig. Valjean) and features most of the
songs used in the shows I saw (a couple of whiny/wimpy cuts have been
wisely trimmed from the show).

7.3 CARRIE [AK]

[Most of the following information comes from Ken Mandelbaum's
book "Not Since Carrie: 40 Years of Broadway Musical Flops"
St. Martin's Press, ISBN 0-312-06428-4. An entertaining read, and
highly recommended.]

Yes, there indeed was a musical based on Stephen King's 1974 novel.
A workshop of the musical was done in 1984, with book by Lawrence D.
Cohen (who also wrote the screenplay of Brian DePalma's movie),
music by Michael Gore (FAME, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT), and lyrics by
Dean Pitchford (FAME, FOOTLOOSE). The Broadway production was
financed by Friedrich Kurz, a West German producer famous up to
that point for producing German productions of ALW hits, and co-
produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company (they had no financial
stake in the show). The Anglo-American cast, headed by Linzi
Hateley as Carrie and Barbara Cook as Mrs. White, had a brief
sold out run at Stratford upon Avon in February 1988. Cook was
nearly decapitated by the set on opening night, and left after the
show finished its Stratford run. When the show began previews on
Broadway on April 28, 1988, Mrs. White was played by Betty
Buckley. After two weeks of previews, CARRIE opened May 12, 1988 to
horrible reviews (but praise for Hateley and Buckley) and closed on
May 15, 1988, four performances later. The production lost $8 million.

Audience reaction was reportedly wildly mixed, ranging from boos to
cheers and wild applause. Those who have heard the show's music
have said that it compares favorably with modern pop/middle-of-the-road
scores, most partcularly, CHESS. Sadly, a cast recording was never
made, as was initially planned. A concert version of the show,
to be recorded, also fell through, although the song "When There's
No One" appears on Betty Buckley's solo album "Children Will Listen".
At the end of 1993, there was renewed talk of a cast recording being
made.

** 8. PERFORMERS ON RECORD AND VIDEO ***********************************

Please note that some recordings may have been deleted from
catalogs or be available only as imports. Try Footlight Records or
Dress Circle (see section 4.1)

Explanation of Categories:

Cast Recordings: lists all cast recordings, including studio recordings
Solo Recordings
Singles: the release of singles for radio airplay is more common
in the UK, so many recordings listed here may only be
available as imports
Other Recordings: this list includes compilation recordings (where
the singer in question may have included only
a single track), "guest appearances" on
the solo recordings of others, and movie soundtracks.
Music Video: like Singles, more of a UK phenomenon, so these may
be difficult to find in the US. Note that the
North American and European video standards (NTSC and
PAL, respectively) are NOT compatible, and converting
between the two is expensive.
Other Video: full length concert or theatrical performance; some
may have only aired on PBS or the BBC, and may not be
available commercially.
Movies
Fan Club: We do not vouch for the quality of any clubs listed below.

8.1 MICHAEL BALL [RS]

Cast Recordings
Les Miserables - London recording (1986 First Night)
Les Miserables - Symphonic Recording (1988 First Night)
Rage of the Heart - London (1989 First Night)
Aspects of Love - London (1989 Really Useful Group)

Solo Recordings
michael ball (1992 Polydor Ltd. UK)
Always (1993 Polygram TV, Polydor Ltd UK)

Singles
Love Changes Everything
It's Still You
One Step Out of Time (includes two songs not found in other
recordings: No More Steps to Climb and We Break Our Hearts)
If I Can Dream (4 songs from Always)
Sunset Boulevard

Other Recordings
Andrew Lloyd Webber Premiere Collection (Love Changes Everything,
Seeing is Believing, The First Man You Remember)
Save the Children: Christmas Carols (When a Child is Born)
West Side Story - Studio Recording (1993 IMG records)

Video
michael ball - video collection, with interview
Save the Children Christmas Spectacular video
Andrew Lloyd Webber Primiere collection video (Love Changes
Everything, The First Man You Remember)

Miscellaneous

Television appearance in the 1988 (?) and 1992 Royal Variety
Showcases.
Has a new television series beginning late summer/93

Fan Club
Organized by Maureen Wilkinson-Rouse and Gill Oakley. PO
Box 2073, Colchester, UK CO4 4YN. Membership is 15 GBP a
year, and includes up to date information, biographical
facts, a personal welcoming letter and autographed photo,
as well as the newsletter "On the Ball". Very well organized,
and highly recommended

Mailing list:
To join the Internet Michael Ball mailing list, send
a message to: majo...@world.std.com
with the command: subscribe michael-ball
in the body of the message.
See FAQ section 2.2 for
details.

8.2 SARAH BRIGHTMAN [SP]

Cast Recordings
Cats - London
Phantom of the Opera - London
Carousel - studio

Solo Recordings
As I Came of Age
Songs that Got Away
Sarah Brightman sings Andrew Lloyd Webber
Dive
Song and Dance

Singles
Amigos Para Siempre
I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper
Captain Nemo
Phantom of the Opera

Other Recordings
The Nightingale - children's operetta
Grandpa
Benjamin Britten Folk Songs
Andrew Lloyd Webber Premiere Collection
Andrew Lloyd Webber Encore Collection
Save the Children - Christmas Songs
Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem

Music Video
Phantom of the Opera single
Music of the Night
All I Ask of You
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
Pie Jesu
Andrew Lloyd Webber Encore Collection
Save the Children - Christmas Songs

Other Video
Song and Dance
Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem
Captain Nemo

Movies
Tell Me on a Sunday

Fan Club
Sarah Brightman Fan Club(SASE for info)
c/o Jay Brightman
Britania House
Glenthorne Road
Hammersmith
London W6 OLF

8.3 MICHAEL CRAWFORD [SP]

Cast Recordings
Billy - London
Flowers for Algernon - London
Barnum - London
Phantom of the Opera - London

Solo Recordings
Phantom Unmasked/With Love
Songs from the Stage and Screen
Michael Crawford Performs Andrew Lloyd Webber

Singles
Waltzing Round
The Knack
Lady from LA/I Missed the Last Rainbow
Disney Girls/True Love Ways
The Music of the Night
Only You

Other Recordings
Andrew Lloyd Webber Premiere Collection
Andrew Lloyd Webber Encore Collection
Save the Children - Christmas Songs
Barry Manilow - Showstoppers
Barbara Streisand - Back to Broadway
The Little Sweep soundtrack as Michael Ingram - 12 yrs old
Hello Dolly soundtrack
Once Upon a Forest soundtrack
The Knack...and How to Get It soundtrack
The Games soundtrack

Music Video
Music of the Night
Only You
Andrew Lloyd Webber Encore video collection
Save the Children - Christmas Songs

Other Video
Barnum
Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em - 1st 6 on PAL
Torville and Dean

Movies
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Hello Dolly
Condorman
Once Upon a Forest
Soapbox Derby
Blow Your Own Trumpet
Two Living are Dead
The War Lover
Two Left Feet
The Knack...and How to Get It
The Jokers
How I Won the War
The Games
Hello-Goodbye
Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland

Fan Club
MCIFA - Michael Crawford International Fan Association
7605 Santa Monica Blvd, Dept 644
West Hollywood, CA 90046
$25 per year. Send name, address, phone(home and work), and
date of birth. Members receive packet which includes bio,
pictures, newsletters, and telephone hotline phone number.
Supports several charities including Sick Children's Trust of
which Crawford is president.

8.4 FRANCES RUFFELLE [SP]

Cast Recordings
Starlight Express - London
Les Miserables - London
Les Miserables - Broadway
Apples - London
Children of Eden - London

Singles
On My Own
Stranger to the Rain
Children of Eden
Only You

Other Recordings
Save the Children - Christmas Songs
Mack and Mabel in Concert
Christopher Cross - Back in My Mind
Michael Crawford Performs Andrew Lloyd Webber

Music Video
Children of Eden
Stranger to the Rain
Only You
Save the Children Christmas Special

Movies
P'tang Yang Kipperbang
The Wild Cats of St Trinian's

8.5 LEA SALONGA [compiled by SP]

Cast Recordings
Miss Saigon - London
Little Tramp - studio
The King and I - studio

Solo Recordings
Small Voice - 1980
Lea Salonga - 1988
Lea Salonga - 1993

Other Recordings
Aladdin soundtrack
"Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal" or "Why Do I Love You So Much" soundtrack

Movies
"Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal" or "Why Do I Love You So Much"
Aladdin

Other Video
The Heat Is On - The Making of Miss Saigon
Philippines Tourist Video

Fan Club
LEA - Lea Salonga newsletter
It comes out every two months, and it has two versions: e-mail and US
Mail. The newsletter's purpose is to promote Lea's career and will have
news that all Lea fans must know! It's free! Submissions are welcome! If
you want more information about the LEA, please contact Erin Blair via
e-mail - ebl...@nermal.santarosa.edu

US Mail: Erin Blair
c/o LEA
420 Arlen Drive
Rohnert Park, CA 94928

To join the Internet Lea Salonga mailing list, send
a message to: majo...@world.std.com
with the command: subscribe lea-salonga
in the body of the message.
See FAQ section 2.2 for
details.

8.6 COLM WILKINSON [RS]

- to be submitted

8.7 JULIE ANDREWS [HG]

Cast Recordings
The Boy Friend - Original Broadway Cast (1954)
My Fair Lady - Original Broadway Cast (1956)
My Fair Lady - Original London Cast (1959)
Camelot - Original Broadway Cast (1960)
Putting It Together - Original Off-Broadway cast (1993)

Soundtrack Recordings
High Tor (TV; 1956)
Cinderella (TV; 1957)
Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall (TV; 1962)
Mary Poppins (1964)
The Sound of Music (1965)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)
Star! (1968)
Darling Lili (1970)
Julie and Carol at Lincoln Center (1971)
10 (1979)
Victor/Victoria (1982)
Julie and Carol Together Again (1989)

Studio Show Recordings
Rose-Marie (1958)
The King and I (1992)

Solo Recordings
The Lass With The Delicate Air (1957)
Julie Andrews Sings (1958)
Broadway's Fair Julie (1961)
Don't Go In The Lion's Cage Tonight (1962)
A Christmas Treasure (1967; Originally under Firestone Series, 1966))
An Evening With Julie Andrews (Live Japanese Import; 1977)
The Secret Of Christmas (1972)
Love Me Tender (1983; additional songs on UK version)
Love, Julie (1988)
The Sounds Of Christmas (1990)

Other Recordings:
Starlight Roof (Revue cast includes 12-year old JA singing
"Je Suis Titania"; 1948)
Tell It Again (Nursery Rhymes, with Martyn Green; 1958)
The Pink Panther Strikes Again (JA performs
"Until You Love Me" as a male drag singer; 1976)

Videos:
Julie Andrews Sings Her Favorite Songs (Concert performance, 1989)

Movies:
Mary Poppins (1964)
Americanization of Emily (1964)
Sound of Music (1965)
Hawaii (1966)
Torn Curtain (1966)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)
Star! (1968)
Darling Lili (1970)
Tamarind Seed (1974)
10 (1979)
Little Miss Marker (1980)
S.O.B. (1981)
Victor/Victoria (1982)
Man Who Loved Women (1983)
That's Life! (1986)
Duet For One (1986)
Our Sons (TV; 1991)
A Fine Romance (originally, Tchin-Tchin; 1992)

TV Series:
The Julie Andrews Hour (24 episodes, 1972-23)
Julie (5 of 6 episodes broadcast, 1992)

Fan Clubs:
c/o Andrew-Ian-Bertie
Fridkullagatan 19 C
41262 Goteberg, Sweden

US-UK club: none known, but if interested in forming one,
please contact Harry Gold at go...@netcom.com