TITANIC Question: About the Original Staging

David Fick

Apr 21, 2001, 2:32:47 AM4/21/01
Hi everyone.

For those of who who don't know me, I'm from South Africa and, obviously,
don't (*very often*) get to see productions in their runs on Broadway or in
London. So I generally live vicariously through cast recordings with the odd
description of what happens on stage here and there.

Here's this week's obsession!

I was wondering if anyone who saw the original production could remember how
they staged "The Proposal/The Night Is Alive"? What did the set for this
section look like? And costumes - was Barrett in his coal shoveling clothes,
or dressed more "formally" like he was in the opening scene? And, in the
script, is there dialogue before the song begins? And is this song a
springboard for a friendship between Barrett and Bride - is Bride actually
talking to Barrett with his song, or was it more of a soliloquy? Any other
information about this scene would also be welcomed!

Thanks in advance
David

Matthew Murray

Apr 21, 2001, 8:37:28 AM4/21/01
"David Fick" <davi...@freemail.absa.co.za> wrote in message

> I was wondering if anyone who saw the original production could remember
how
> they staged "The Proposal/The Night Is Alive"? What did the set for this
> section look like?

It was staged very simply. There was a mini set for the radio
room that came on, and Barrett and Bride were just in there singing. (In
case you were wondering, the same set was used for a scene in the second
act, but tilted a few degrees.)

> And costumes - was Barrett in his coal shoveling clothes,
> or dressed more "formally" like he was in the opening scene?

No, he's still dressed in his coal-shoveling clothes.

> And, in the
> script, is there dialogue before the song begins?

Yes, there is quite a bit of dialogue. Basically, he comes up
there wanting to send a message, they talk a bit, and then the song starts.
But once the song begins, it progresses as heard on the CD.

> And is this song a
> springboard for a friendship between Barrett and Bride - is Bride actually
> talking to Barrett with his song, or was it more of a soliloquy?

Bride is talking to Barrett, yes.

--Matthew

AArborGWM

Apr 21, 2001, 12:51:43 PM4/21/01
While there is somewhat of a friendship implied in this scene, it is more along
the lines of "here we are,both working on this ship" and not of the "we are
going to meet later in the show" variety.

The staging was very much soliloquey...the two never look at each other during
the entire number...Barratt is singing to his imagined beloved, and Bride is
singing about his wireless. The only interaction they had was with the dialogue
both leading into the song, and a simple "message sent" at the end of the song.

Chris Connelly

Apr 23, 2001, 11:09:09 AM4/23/01

"AArborGWM" <aarb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Actually, their "relationship" begins in the opening sequence, where they
meet are are joined by Lookout Fleet. Stone/Yeston grouped their characters
in groups of three (as in "bad luck comes in") throughout:

Big-wigs - Captain Smith/Ismay/Andrews
Workers - Barrett/Bride/Fleet
3rd Class - The Three "Kates"
Couples to give a damn about - The Beales/The Strauses/the eloping couple in
2nd class

etc.

BTW - the radio room set is used in the second act for "The Blame" (a.k.a
"Your Fault") where the big-wigs scream at each other while poor Bride
desperately tries to morse code another ship to rescue them.

Fsoliii

Apr 23, 2001, 10:01:39 PM4/23/01
It was staged very simply. Kudos to the director for trusting enough to just
let the material and the performers provide what was the most magical moment in
that show.

Chris Connelly

Apr 24, 2001, 5:07:39 PM4/24/01

"Fsoliii" <fso...@aol.com> wrote in message

I don't think it was brilliance - he staged the whole show like an opera.
With a more musical theatre-savvy director I think the show would have been
embraced by a lot more people.

But yes - the park-and-bark staging for this scene worked - with more credit
going to the performances and the material than the simplicity of its
staging.