Essential recordings

1 view

brenda j austin

Feb 11, 1995, 9:24:16 AM2/11/95
Ok, here are mine.

1. The Phantom of the Opera
2. Les Miserables
3. The Secret Garden
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Crazy for You
6. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
7. Sweeney Todd
8. Miss Saigon
9. Into the Woods
10. Gypsy
11. Cats
12. Oliver

These are in no special order, and there are still many I hope to
buy. (I.E. J+H, Damn Yankees, Assasins, The Music Man, and many more) I'd
also like some suggestions along the same line of music I've listed
-Jessica
"It takes a man who knows no fear to wrestle with a goat"
Joesph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Jessica Austin
(bau...@biddeford.com)

Marc Gonzales Escuro

Feb 11, 1995, 5:26:43 PM2/11/95

Ok here are mine.
OBC = Original Broadway Cast
OLC = Original London Cast
NBC = New Broadway Cast
OMC = Original Movie Cast
CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording

1) Miss Saigon (OLC)
2) Les Miserables (CSR)
3) Beauty and the Beast (OBC)
4) Grease (OMC)
5) South Pacific (OBC)
6) Sound of Music (OMC)
7) The King and I (OMC)
8) Phantom of the Opera (OLC)
9) Evita (OLC)
10) Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (NBC - M.Damian)
11) A Chorus Line (OBC)
12) 42nd Street (OBC)

These are in no particular order (with the exception of 1-3). There are
others, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Marc
UC, Santa Cruz

George Yuhasz

Feb 11, 1995, 6:56:08 PM2/11/95

Let's see, we've got:

Scarlet Pimpernel
Jekyll and Hyde -- both
Assassins
Les Miserables -- CSR
Man of La Mancha -- OBC
Beauty and the Beast
Colm Wilkinson -- Stage Heroes
Evita -- OBC

These are the ones that I'm currently listening to all the
time. My roommates are about to throw me out so if anyone knows of cheap
housing where the people don't mind loud musical theatre, please let me
know ;)

Budd

Marc Gonzales Escuro

Feb 12, 1995, 8:23:03 PM2/12/95

In article <1995Feb12.171234.115840@daniel> mjo...@daniel.drew.edu (Grand Old Show Queen) writes:

>In article <3hjdj3$t...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, bas...@cats.ucsc.edu (Marc Gonzales Escuro) writes:
>> Ok here are mine.
>> OBC = Original Broadway Cast
>> OLC = Original London Cast
>> NBC = New Broadway Cast
>> OMC = Original Movie Cast
>> CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording
>>
>> 1) Miss Saigon (OLC)
>> 2) Les Miserables (CSR)
>> 3) Beauty and the Beast (OBC)
>> 4) Grease (OMC)
>> 5) South Pacific (OBC)
>> 6) Sound of Music (OMC)
>> 7) The King and I (OMC)
>> 8) Phantom of the Opera (OLC)
>> 9) Evita (OLC)
>> 10) Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (NBC - M.Damian)
>> 11) A Chorus Line (OBC)
>> 12) 42nd Street (OBC)
>
>Does it bother anyone else that there's no Sondheim on this list?
>And, call me a snob if you will, but GREASE (the movie recording)
>butchered the score of the stage version and is fairly bubblegum besides!
>
>*sigh* At least there's some golden oldies on the list, even if Herman,
>Kander & Ebb, and Cy Coleman are completely ignored.
>
>> Marc
>> UC, Santa Cruz
>
>Michael
>--
**********

At the risk of getting flamed (again), I will say it again. I am not a
big fan of Stephen Sondheim. I have not really heard any full album
of his that I thoroughly enjoy. There are certain songs in muscials
(Pacific Overtures) that I enjoy, but the thread state FULL ALBUM, so
I cannot count it. I would put "I'm Breathless: Music from and Inspired
by the Film Dick Tracy," but it's a movie. Sorry.

I do have both the NBC and OMC versions of GREASE, and I really do
prefer the movie version. At least in the movie, EVERYONE can sing, and
I don't have to listen to Rosie O'Donnel squeak.

Have you listened to the New B'way Cast Recording of GREASE? Listen
to track 10. Listen to Rosie do the finale of the song.

Cast: Smoke
Rosie: I can't!
Cast: Beer
Rosie: I can't
Male: ME!!
Rosie: I can't!!

Rosie: I caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't...I'm Sandra...DEE!!

SHE IS FLAT! *cringe* *cringe* *cringe*

Marc
UC, Santa Cruz

Grand Old Show Queen

Feb 12, 1995, 7:12:34 AM2/12/95
In article <3hjdj3$t...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, bas...@cats.ucsc.edu (Marc Gonzales Escuro) writes:
> Ok here are mine.
> OBC = Original Broadway Cast
> OLC = Original London Cast
> NBC = New Broadway Cast
> OMC = Original Movie Cast
> CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording
>
> 1) Miss Saigon (OLC)
> 2) Les Miserables (CSR)
> 3) Beauty and the Beast (OBC)
> 4) Grease (OMC)
> 5) South Pacific (OBC)
> 6) Sound of Music (OMC)
> 7) The King and I (OMC)
> 8) Phantom of the Opera (OLC)
> 9) Evita (OLC)
> 10) Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (NBC - M.Damian)
> 11) A Chorus Line (OBC)
> 12) 42nd Street (OBC)

Does it bother anyone else that there's no Sondheim on this list?

And, call me a snob if you will, but GREASE (the movie recording)
butchered the score of the stage version and is fairly bubblegum besides!

*sigh* At least there's some golden oldies on the list, even if Herman,
Kander & Ebb, and Cy Coleman are completely ignored.

> Marc
> UC, Santa Cruz

Michael
* Michael Barret Jones | ++++++++++++ | "I chose and my world was shaken- *
* MJO...@DREW.DREW.EDU | ++++++++++ | So what? *
* MJO...@DREW.BITNET | ++++++++ | The choice may have been mistaken, *
* P.O. Box 802, CM 461 | ++++++ | The choosing was not. *
* Madison, NJ 07940 | ++++ | You have to move on." *
* (201) 408-4479 | ++ | -Sondheim, "Sunday in the Park..." *