[NEWS] - Enterprise Fate Uncertain

Stan Jensen

Feb 13, 2004, 4:29:54 PM2/13/04
Enterprise Fate Uncertain

Leslie Moonves, the CBS chief who also oversees sister network UPN,
told the Scripps Howard News Service that the fate of UPN's struggling
Star Trek: Enterprise is uncertain and will remain so for the next
several months. Despite a change in the series' storyline and the
addition of Star Trek to its title, Enterprise has seen its ratings
languish without improvement from the previous season, UPN
entertainment president Dawn Ostroff told the news service.

"We just picked up three drama pilots. We'll pick up a few more after
that," Moonves said. "You see the new stuff, you see the old stuff,
and you compare and say, 'What is the better schedule?' So it's not
like, 'Gee, if Enterprise is up 10 percent between now and May, it
will get picked up.' ... It's, 'All right. How do we build Wednesday
better?' 'Does it include Enterprise?' Very possibly. 'Does it not?'
Possibly as well."

It's possible that, instead of being canceled, Enterprise could move
to Friday nights, Moonves added.

Feb 13, 2004, 5:21:24 PM2/13/04
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:29:54 GMT, Stan Jensen <sp...@wonderful.Spam>
wrote:

Oh, boy Friday nights! Why not save a step and cancel it now?

Sooner or later, all of our names wind up on a Post-It.

Silent Stalker

Feb 13, 2004, 5:44:29 PM2/13/04
X-Files did fairly well on Fridays when it first came out. If a show is good
enough, people will "make a date" to see it, no matter when it's scheduled.
For the record I don't think Enterprise, as it stands now, is of the same
calibre as X-Files, but it could be.

"Avatar" <ava...@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message

®Matthew-The Resurrected©

Feb 13, 2004, 5:51:20 PM2/13/04
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:44:29 GMT, "Silent Stalker" <t...@can.com>
wrote:

>X-Files did fairly well on Fridays when it first came out. If a show is good
>enough, people will "make a date" to see it, no matter when it's scheduled.
>For the record I don't think Enterprise, as it stands now, is of the same
>calibre as X-Files, but it could be.

If all the little geeks stop their crying the show will last.
It's far better than the Next Retardation and Deep Sleep Nine.

Mike (ODO)

Feb 13, 2004, 7:29:09 PM2/13/04

"®Matthew-The Resurrected©" <be...@boys.com> wrote in message

It's interesting that some people just don't "get" DS9. I've always loved
it as much as TOS, and after having watched the entire run on DVD, I've come
to appreciate a lot of things I didn't before.

DS9 rocks!

Enterprise is...OK. I enjoy it.

Mike (ODO)

greg brown

Feb 13, 2004, 7:40:09 PM2/13/04

"Avatar" <ava...@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:29:54 GMT, Stan Jensen <sp...@wonderful.Spam>
> wrote:
>
> >Enterprise Fate Uncertain
> >

> >It's possible that, instead of being canceled, Enterprise could move
> >to Friday nights, Moonves added.
> >

> Oh, boy Friday nights! Why not save a step and cancel it now?

Agree. After being moved to Friday nights, the next step is the street.

Sliders, Dark Angel, Firefly, and soon Boston Public...

Greg

The Merry Piper

Feb 13, 2004, 9:46:15 PM2/13/04
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:51:20 +1100, ®Matthew-The Resurrected©
<be...@boys.com> wrote:

>If all the little geeks stop their crying the show will last.
>It's far better than the Next Retardation and Deep Sleep Nine.

I was a lukewarm fan of TNG but I thought DS9 was a fine show.

--
Piper
http://tmpiper.livejournal.com/

Numan

Feb 13, 2004, 10:09:01 PM2/13/04

"Mike (ODO)" <mik...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

I agree 100%

William Kornegay Jr.

Feb 13, 2004, 10:31:57 PM2/13/04
Complainers do not get a show cancelled, people not watching gets a show
cancelled.

--
Visit the Beautiful Shana Kai Lani @
http://www.spirit88.com

"Be Someone's Favorite" SKL '88

Eric Newman

Feb 13, 2004, 11:23:59 PM2/13/04
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:46:15 -0600, The Merry Piper
<merry_p...@coat.yahoo.com> had this to say:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:51:20 +1100, ®Matthew-The Resurrected©
><be...@boys.com> wrote:
>
>>If all the little geeks stop their crying the show will last.
>>It's far better than the Next Retardation and Deep Sleep Nine.
>
>I was a lukewarm fan of TNG but I thought DS9 was a fine show.

I thought DS9 was dreary. Klingon politics, Bajoran nuns, Ferengi
popes... not interesting.

ASDR

Feb 14, 2004, 2:04:23 AM2/14/04
LOL! "Ferengi Popes". Sounds like a great name for an industrial techno
band!

"Eric Newman" <nava...@myway.com> wrote in message

The Merry Piper

Feb 14, 2004, 5:54:33 AM2/14/04
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:23:59 GMT, Eric Newman <nava...@myway.com>
wrote:

I guess that is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors. :-)

Paul Brown

Feb 14, 2004, 7:28:43 AM2/14/04

"ASDR" <rkls...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> LOL! "Ferengi Popes". Sounds like a great name for an industrial techno
> band!

He was obviously referring to the way the Bajoran religion was organised,
but got a bit confused referring to *Ferengi* Popes. There were no Bajoran
Nuns, but there were Bajoran Cardinals and Popes. It seems to me that Bajor
was based on Poland after the Soviet occupation ended. In both Poland and on
Bajor almost everyone was of the same religion, their religion was very
important during the occupation and helped unite them against the occupiers.
The office of Kai is obviously based on the office of Pope, while the Vedeks
are obviously equivalent to Cardinals. I don't remember a lower rank than
Vedek, though. Some or all of the Vedeks are members of an electoral
college, like the College of Cardinals, who elect a new Kai when needed. Kai
Winn was obviously corrupt right from the beginning, like the Borgias, a
family which included at least one Pope. One big difference is that the
Bajorans have a caste system like under Hinduism, but this is no longer
enforced. Another difference is that Vedeks and Kais can have relationships
and sex, but that was also the case in the Catholic Church until about the
12th Century.

> "Eric Newman" <nava...@myway.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:46:15 -0600, The Merry Piper
> > <merry_p...@coat.yahoo.com> had this to say:

> > >I was a lukewarm fan of TNG but I thought DS9 was a fine show.
> >
> > I thought DS9 was dreary. Klingon politics, Bajoran nuns, Ferengi
> > popes... not interesting.

I think people should have faith and stop saying that Star Trek: Enterprise
will be cancelled in the near future. TOS was usually in trouble and look
what happened to that! I'd like to point out to Paramount Pictures, UPN and
anyone with influence who may be reading this that like TOS and ST:TNG, Star
Trek: Enterprise will flourish at some time in the future, then new viewers
will be interested in watching the earlier episodes, so your investment will
pay off. It doesn't really matter what day of the week it's on, or what
people are doing on that day of the week, because of DVD recorders or even
VHS VCR's. On Sky Digital in Britain it's shown on Mondays at 8PM, then
repeated on Sundays at 9PM. On Channel 4 it's shown on Sundays at 4:40PM and
repeated on Wednesday mornings at 1:55AM, but this is Season 2 for people
who can't be bothered to subscribe to Sky Digital, because they "don't watch
much TV". It's not currently showing on Germany's SAT.1, but I think Friday
evenings at 7:15PM has been a traditional new Star Trek slot for them.

I think Star Trek: Enterprise season 3 is getting more like a serial or a
soap. Every episode has something to do with the Xindi, and clips from
various recent episodes have been shown at the beginning of at least one of
the episodes. This is a similar technique to the doomed British soap
"Brookside" which finished a 21 year run in November 2003, but they only
started doing that after the decision to cancel was made. If they'd made
some of the changes *before* being cancelled, then it may still be running.
--
"Steve Smith"

Eric Newman

Feb 14, 2004, 11:08:46 AM2/14/04
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:28:43 -0000, "Paul Brown"
<ar015...@blueyonder.co.uk> had this to say:

>"ASDR" <rkls...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> LOL! "Ferengi Popes". Sounds like a great name for an industrial techno
>> band!
>
>He was obviously referring to the way the Bajoran religion was organised,
>but got a bit confused referring to *Ferengi* Popes. There were no Bajoran
>Nuns, but there were Bajoran Cardinals and Popes.

No I wasn't. Call me a reductionist if you want -- hell, it's only
fiction -- but I saw the Bajoran religious women as nuns and the Grand
Negus as the Ferengi Pope.

Eric Newman

Feb 14, 2004, 11:10:23 AM2/14/04
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:54:33 -0600, The Merry Piper

<merry_p...@coat.yahoo.com> had this to say:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:23:59 GMT, Eric Newman <nava...@myway.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:46:15 -0600, The Merry Piper
>><merry_p...@coat.yahoo.com> had this to say:

>>>I was a lukewarm fan of TNG but I thought DS9 was a fine show.
>>
>>I thought DS9 was dreary. Klingon politics, Bajoran nuns, Ferengi
>>popes... not interesting.
>
>I guess that is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors. :-)

That's Howard Johnson.

(In Blazing Saddles, which is set in 1874, a scene showing the main
drag of a frontier town has a hilarious sight gag: "Howard Johnson's
Ice Cream Parlor. 1 Flavor.")

Mark Nobles

Feb 14, 2004, 3:34:42 PM2/14/04
Paul Brown <ar015...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> TOS was usually in trouble and look
> what happened to that!

Yeah, look. It got cancelled after 3 seasons.

graham

Feb 14, 2004, 4:11:40 PM2/14/04

"Stan Jensen" <sp...@wonderful.Spam> wrote in message

No big loss if it gets cancelled. I have yet to see any episode which is
worth the electric which powers my TV.

Graham

The Merry Piper

Feb 14, 2004, 4:56:57 PM2/14/04

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/index.shtml

>(In Blazing Saddles, which is set in 1874, a scene showing the main
>drag of a frontier town has a hilarious sight gag: "Howard Johnson's
>Ice Cream Parlor. 1 Flavor.")

Blazing Saddles ... great flick! That's HEDLEY!!!

Boris Zakharin

Feb 14, 2004, 7:00:49 PM2/14/04
Having just finished watching the entire DS9 run I have to agree that it was
a great show. But The reason I waited so long is that you really have to
watch all the way from the beginning to have any clue as to what;s going on.
I first tuned into Voyager for real in mid-season 3 and could watcj it from
then on without a problem and then seeing (most of) the earlier eps later.

ASDR

Feb 14, 2004, 8:31:09 PM2/14/04
I knew you meant the Grand Negus. But I still think "Ferengi Pope" is a
great phrase.

"Eric Newman" <nava...@myway.com> wrote in message

EvilBill

Feb 15, 2004, 7:31:22 AM2/15/04
"Boris Zakharin" <zakh...@alumni.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> Having just finished watching the entire DS9 run I have to agree that it
was
> a great show. But The reason I waited so long is that you really have to
> watch all the way from the beginning to have any clue as to what;s going
on.
> I first tuned into Voyager for real in mid-season 3 and could watcj it
from
> then on without a problem and then seeing (most of) the earlier eps later.

DS9 is *the* best Trek series IMHO, but of course that's what *can* turn off
new viewers, is that you can't just jump into it anywhere.

* "Assimilation turns us all into friends." - Borg Queen

Remove COLLECTIVERECTUM to e-mail.
Web: http://www.evilbill.co.uk
AIM: EvilBill1782
MSN: dev...@agqx-imperium.fsnet.co.uk

The Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

eepeep

Feb 16, 2004, 3:35:26 AM2/16/04
"William Kornegay Jr." <dan...@comcast.nett> wrote:
> Complainers do not get a show cancelled, people not watching gets a show
> cancelled.

Actually, network execs get shows cancelled. Considering how small of a
sample the Nielsen company actually uses to determine their "ratings", it's
not really measuring whether people are watching or not. Writing letters
to the network and to the advertisers supporting the show is probably the
best way to keep a show on the air, since they consider each letter as
worth a large group of people, just like they do with the ratings. And it
certainly doesn't hurt you any, other than 5 minutes of your time and less
than 50 cents for the stamp, envelope, ink, and paper.

EepEep

J44xm

Feb 22, 2004, 12:20:53 PM2/22/04
["The Merry Piper"; Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:46:15 GMT]

> I was a lukewarm fan of TNG but I thought DS9 was a fine show.

I like both, but DS9 was fantastic. Some very well developed storylines --
the thinking person's Trek. ^_^;
--
J44xm

Charles Franklin

Feb 22, 2004, 8:53:14 PM2/22/04

"J44xm" <w44kz@friragl8.a_g> wrote in message

Overall, DS9 was the best Trek. I wish they would start playing them again.

Chris Wayne

Feb 24, 2004, 12:29:36 AM2/24/04
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:46:15 -0600, The Merry Piper

I must add that DS9 was and is the better of the sequel series.
Enterprise can be as good, there is so much material for it to pull
from and different formats to play with.

Dreary?! Klingon Politics, Kais (sp?) and Grand Nagusi (??) and a
Founder or two :-) All this intrigue is what made it exciting!!! I
guess you dodn't get the excitement of the world events going on IRL?

chris

Eric Newman

Feb 24, 2004, 2:47:44 AM2/24/04
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:29:36 GMT, cwa...@nmia.com (Chris Wayne) had
this to say:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:23:59 GMT, Eric Newman <nava...@myway.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:46:15 -0600, The Merry Piper
>><merry_p...@coat.yahoo.com> had this to say:

>>>I was a lukewarm fan of TNG but I thought DS9 was a fine show.
>>
>>I thought DS9 was dreary. Klingon politics, Bajoran nuns, Ferengi
>>popes... not interesting.
>
>I must add that DS9 was and is the better of the sequel series.
>Enterprise can be as good, there is so much material for it to pull
>from and different formats to play with.
>
>Dreary?! Klingon Politics, Kais (sp?) and Grand Nagusi (??) and a
>Founder or two :-) All this intrigue is what made it exciting!!! I
>guess you dodn't get the excitement of the world events going on IRL?

Main Entry: non se-qui-tur
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, it does not follow
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically
: a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal
affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and
its consequent
2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from
anything previously said