WHERE IS NCC1701-B?

1 view

ousu...@msu2.oscs.montana.edu

Sep 10, 1991, 5:28:31 PM9/10/91
Hey all you trek fans out there, I have a question that my friends and I have
been debating all summer.

Here goes...

As we all know, the Enterprise is numbered NCC 1701 in the original series.

In Star Trek I, the Enterprise (as I remember) is NOT a new Enterprise, but
an enhanced one.

In Star Trek III the Enterprise is destroyed. (or self-destructed)

In Star Trek V, A new Enterprise appears. I believe this is the Enterprise B;
but my friend rented the movie and told me that it was labeled NCC 1701-A
still.

In addition, there is a classic episode of The Next Generation where Tasha Yar
comes back. In this episode there is both the Enterprise C and, of course, the
Enterprise D.

SO WHAT OR WHERE IS ACTUALLY THE ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-B?

Does it really exist??? In any Movie??? TV show??? Book???

My philosophy on this question (which everybody says is wrong) is that the
FIRST original Enterprise in the old series was "enhanced" in the first movie.
I would think that they gave it the inherent NCC 1701-A designation at that time
even though it didn't show up in the movie.

That would make the Enterprise in Star Trek V the B Enterprise, and still in
operation in the movies.

I'd really like some input into this.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Thomas
Montana State University

Dave Schaumann

Sep 10, 1991, 8:04:41 PM9/10/91
In article <0094E71C...@Msu2.oscs.montana.edu>, oususajt@Msu2 writes:
>SO WHAT OR WHERE IS ACTUALLY THE ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-B?
>
>Does it really exist??? In any Movie??? TV show??? Book???

Who cares? I mean really. Sit back n watch the show.
Try not to get excited about tangential things left unexplained.
--
_
_ //\miga! | Dave Schaumann | Pretend you are playing Adventure.

Robert A Seace

Sep 11, 1991, 1:01:57 PM9/11/91
In article <0094E71C...@Msu2.oscs.montana.edu> ousu...@Msu2.oscs.montana.edu writes:

>As we all know, the Enterprise is numbered NCC 1701 in the original series.
>In Star Trek I, the Enterprise (as I remember) is NOT a new Enterprise, but
>an enhanced one.
>In Star Trek III the Enterprise is destroyed. (or self-destructed)
>In Star Trek V, A new Enterprise appears. I believe this is the Enterprise B;
>but my friend rented the movie and told me that it was labeled NCC 1701-A
>still.
>In addition, there is a classic episode of The Next Generation where Tasha Yar
>comes back. In this episode there is both the Enterprise C and, of course, the
>Enterprise D.
>
>SO WHAT OR WHERE IS ACTUALLY THE ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-B?

NCC-1701 TOS
NCC-1701 (refit) TMP
NCC-1701 (refit) TWOK
NCC-1701 (refit) TSFS
NCC-1701-A TVH
NCC-1701-A TFF
NCC-1701-C TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise"
NCC-1701-D TNG

That is a list of all of the Enterprises which have been shown and
where they have been seen. Noticable missing from the list is NCC-1701-B,
which has NEVER been shown (except, perhaps, as one of Picard's models of
all of the Enterprises). You must remember that quite some time has passed
between the movies and TNG; enough time in which to have 2 new Enterprises
built and lost/destroyed/whatever. Just because we've never seen NCC-1701-B,
doesn't mean that it never existed; it simply was built and lost/destroyed/
whatever during the period between the movies and TNG (who knows, maybe Kirk
and co. will have NCC-1701-B in ST6 :-).

||======================================================================||
|| Robert A. Seace || Junior at UNH || E-mail: r...@kepler.unh.edu ||
||======================================================================||
"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us
about this script for 'Hamlet' they've worked out." - THGTTG

Live long and prosper.

Eric Kuhnen

Sep 11, 1991, 2:03:15 PM9/11/91
ousu...@Msu2.oscs.montana.edu writes:
>Hey all you trek fans out there, I have a question that my friends and I have
>been debating all summer.

All summer?

>As we all know, the Enterprise is numbered NCC 1701 in the original series.
>In Star Trek I, the Enterprise (as I remember) is NOT a new Enterprise, but
>an enhanced one.
>In Star Trek III the Enterprise is destroyed. (or self-destructed)
>In Star Trek V, A new Enterprise appears. I believe this is the Enterprise B;
>but my friend rented the movie and told me that it was labeled NCC 1701-A
>still.

Why don't you believe your friend? It would have saved a summer of debate,
since he's right.

>In addition, there is a classic episode of The Next Generation where Tasha Yar
>comes back. In this episode there is both the Enterprise C and, of course, the
>Enterprise D.
>SO WHAT OR WHERE IS ACTUALLY THE ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-B?

It has never officially appeared anywhere in any TV show or Movie.

>My philosophy on this question (which everybody says is wrong) is that the
>FIRST original Enterprise in the old series was "enhanced" in the first movie.
>I would think that they gave it the inherent NCC 1701-A designation at that time
>even though it didn't show up in the movie.

Jeff, my man, you should trust your friends more. I mean, Doubting Thomas the
Apostle had some understandable difficulty with believing in a resurrected
Christ, but your friends have irrefutable proof that takes only a few minutes
of fast-forward on the VCR to present. I'm sure that you would be the last
person on Earth to accept wooden nickels, but I don't think anyone is trying to
slip you a "mickey." :-)

"Q"

J. Scott Farrow

Sep 11, 1991, 1:56:36 PM9/11/91
The Enterprise at the end of STVI and in STV is CLEARLY labeled NCC-1701A !!
I can't understand how anyone who has watched the movie could mistake that.

The theories on the Enterprise-B seem to derive from the wall sculpture on
Captain Picard's wall showing all of the ships named Enterprise. The third
starship looks just like the Excelsior from STIII.

As far as I know, there are no other official sources of info on the
Enterprise-B. Anyone else know more or anything different?

Scott

* J. Scott Farrow far...@spot.Colorado.EDU
* Student Systems Programmer FARR...@CUBLDR.COLORADO.EDU
* University of Colorado at Boulder
* Computing and Network Services "We're only immortal
* for a limited time." - RUSH

Paul Stacy

Sep 11, 1991, 10:20:58 PM9/11/91
I've heard that it was testing a new propulsion system and blasted out
of the Galaxy. (I heard that on here some time ago.)

I've never heard anything on an episode about it.

Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy (not net.police) Buffalo State College, New York
STA...@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (Buffalo State College VAX) JUST THE
jfr...@ada.stat.uga.edu (Univ. of Georgia, Athens UNIX) "VAX", MA'AM!
Disclaimer: This isn't the opinion of the school, police, Chief of Detective
Staff Brown, Planet Spaceball, Starfleet Command, or the Pentagon.

Ferenc Szabo

Sep 12, 1991, 8:13:32 PM9/12/91
>SO WHAT OR WHERE IS ACTUALLY THE ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-B?

The answer to this has been answered to death but you are forgiven since
nobody can know everything that has been asked. The answer to this
question should definitely be on the FAQL (frequently asked questions list)

The 1701-B has never been seen in any movie or episode. On the conference
room (or was that the ready room?) wall there appears brass-like models
of various ships that have had the name Enterprise. The ship that appears
between the refitted 1701/1701-A and the 1701-C is clearly an excelsior
class ship.

The NCC 1701-B is an excelsior class ship, of course looking exactly like
the USS Excelsior from STIII:TSFS.

Oh, by the way.....greetings newcomer to r.a.s. !!!!!!!!!!!
Some grizzled ras veterans might get nasty at your faq, but just tell them
to get a life.....IT'S JUST A BBS

ferenc

A.J.Madison

Sep 16, 1991, 1:38:10 PM9/16/91
In article <1991Sep11.1...@nic.unh.edu>, r...@kepler.unh.edu (Robert A Seace) writes:

> That is a list of all of the Enterprises which have been shown and
> where they have been seen. Noticable missing from the list is NCC-1701-B,
> which has NEVER been shown (except, perhaps, as one of Picard's models of
> all of the Enterprises). You must remember that quite some time has passed
> between the movies and TNG; enough time in which to have 2 new Enterprises
> built and lost/destroyed/whatever. Just because we've never seen NCC-1701-B,
> doesn't mean that it never existed; it simply was built and lost/destroyed/
> whatever during the period between the movies and TNG (who knows, maybe Kirk
> and co. will have NCC-1701-B in ST6 :-).

Several times it has been mentioned that the 1/2-vessels in the briefing room
are the more outstanding historical versions of the Enterprise. We have some
support of this notion, if only because of the inclusion of the 20th century
aircraft carrier model and NCC-1701-D. There is a *historical* precedent of
the ST:TMP where all ships (was that the word Decker used?) named Enterprise
were pictured in the Rec Room. However, it occured to me that the lineage in
the breifing room is NOT Enterprises, but Flagships of the Service(s) that has
come to be known as Star Fleet.

Has there been an explicit mention in the show (dare I say it, canon?) that
explains the thread of the 1/2-models? That if it is just flagships up there
on the wall, that NCC-1701-B might very well NOT be an Excelsior class vessel?
And in fact, the final detailed design of -B could be anything?

Can anyone back me up? Does the USN have/had a flagship(s) that was an
Aircraft Carrier and what is/was its name? Anyone have evidence to the
contrary? For instance, something in the Writers Guide or an episode?

--
when everyone is out to get you, being paranoid is just good thinking.
- Dr. Johnny Fever <in other words, standard disclaimer>

duf...@woods.ulowell.edu

Sep 20, 1991, 2:28:08 PM9/20/91
In article <1991Sep13....@intacc.uucp>, zero...@intacc.uucp (Ferenc Szabo) writes:
> The 1701-B has never been seen in any movie or episode. On the conference
> room (or was that the ready room?) wall there appears brass-like models
> of various ships that have had the name Enterprise. The ship that appears
> between the refitted 1701/1701-A and the 1701-C is clearly an excelsior
> class ship.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Enterprise-C is Ambassador-Class. Its design was almost a perfect
'half-way point' in he evolution between the Excelsior-class and
he Galaxy-class... I believe (contrary to fandom's very visible
ALASKA-CLASS BATTLECRUISER from FASA or wherever) that it was
actually called Ambassador-Class (the class for Captain
Walker Keil's "Ambassador-class heavy cruiser, USS HORATIO" and for
the USS ZUKHOV, which dropped off Vulcan (Romulan) Ambassador T'Pel.
(I get this from the fact that the Enterprise-C and the Zukhov were
the same model used in filming, and that one of the STAR TREK:
THE NEXT GENERATION-official-Fan-Magazine by Starlog listed the
Zukhov as Ambassador-class...))

> The NCC 1701-B is an excelsior class ship, of course looking exactly like
> the USS Excelsior from STIII:TSFS.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So I guess this would make the ships now:

ENTERPRISE: 1701 -- Seen in TOS and uprated for TMP. Eventually toasted
over Genesis. Constitution-class, but most of fandom seems to
call the uprated Enterprise from TMP "ENTERPRISE-CLASS" due to the
extensive revisions...

1701-A -- Introduced in ST4:TVH. Was a clunker in ST5:TFF. Probably
live on for a few more decades after Star Trek 6... Enterprise-class
(or Constitution-class... whichever you believe....)

1701-B -- Excelsior-class. (Sorry... that's about it....)

1701-C -- Ambassador-class. Commanded by Capt. Rachel ("Go-Get-'Em")
Garret... Toasted at Norendra III... (or so we're led to believe...)

1701-D -- Galaxy-class... Third Galaxy-class ship commissioned,
commanded by Jean-Luc Picard...

1701-E -- Nova-class... still under design. (Was this the model
on Captain Riker's desk in FUTURE IMPERFECT?)

Forgive any breaches in nettiquette, for "I here am new"...

-Dooder
(no .sig yet....)