Mirror Universe stories (was: Re: [ANDROMEDUH] "The Plot From An Invisible Script")

Phillip Thorne

Feb 17, 2004, 5:42:55 PM2/17/04
Written in rec.arts.sf.tv:

(NG distribution altered to match new topic. Why is there no group
devoted to Trek novels? There are certainly *enough* of the things.)

William December Starr, Keeper of the Purple Twilight and Mac Breck
wrote, in sequence:
>>> But--but-- Bad-Kira-on-Good-Kira action!
>> Mirror Leeta sent to "debrief" Mirror Ezri!
>Mirror Leeta sent to "debrief" Mirror Jadzia!

I think it's possible these gentlemen have independently invented the
premise of "Star Trek: Dark Passions" novels by Susan Wright, but I'm
not sure, as I fear to touch anything with the word "Passions" in the
title. I briefly met Ms.Wright at Balticon 2003 (among other Trek
authors), and she self-promoted along the lines of "Seven-of-Nine
girl-on-girl action! What's not to like?"

http://flashmarket.com/a/B00007K3YP/Star_Trek_Dark_Passions_Book_One_.html
http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/detail/4457

Aside from TOS and multiple forays in DS9, the Mirror Universe also
plays a major role in the second trilogy of William Shatner's "Kirk
returns! gets married! becomes a luddite!" books: _Spectre_, _Dark
Victory_, and _Preserver_ -- wherein we again meet Mirror-Spock, plus
a bunch of Mirror-Voyager people, and also Mirror-Kirk, aka the
deposed Emperor Tiberius I.

http://www.williamshatner.com/

(The series is co-written by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and
you can easily see the welds -- J&G are capable of paragraphs with
more than one sentence. I don't know if this means the Kirk books lie
in the same authorial sub-continuity as _Memory Prime_, _Prime
Directive_, _Federation_, etc.)

Parallel universes are, of course, one of the Overused Premises of
written and media SF (_The Infinite Worlds of Maybe_, "Sliders"); but
Trek excels at the "number of familiar faces per cubic parsec" metric.

Fortunately, "Enterprise" hasn't yet used that entry in the Chinese
Menu of Plots.

/- Phillip Thorne ----------- The Non-Sequitur Express --------------------\
| org underbase ta thorne www.underbase.org It's the boundary |
| net comcast ta pethorne site, newsletter, blog conditions that |
\------------------------------------------------------- get you ----------/

Barry Margolin

Feb 17, 2004, 5:47:45 PM2/17/04
In article <is4530lpri99s46fv...@4ax.com>,
Phillip Thorne <tho...@underbase.org> wrote:

> Fortunately, "Enterprise" hasn't yet used that entry in the Chinese
> Menu of Plots.

Don't give them any ideas....

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Steve Coltrin

Feb 18, 2004, 3:10:19 AM2/18/04
begin Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <is4530lpri99s46fv...@4ax.com>,
> Phillip Thorne <tho...@underbase.org> wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, "Enterprise" hasn't yet used that entry in the Chinese
>> Menu of Plots.
>
> Don't give them any ideas....

Five quatloos says the Mirror Universe turns out to be a product of
the Temporal Cold War.

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org WWVBF?
Kill your gods.

elsworth

Feb 20, 2004, 8:23:33 AM2/20/04
Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org> wrote in message news:<87u11oa...@hrothgar.omcl.org>...

> begin Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <is4530lpri99s46fv...@4ax.com>,
> > Phillip Thorne <tho...@underbase.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Fortunately, "Enterprise" hasn't yet used that entry in the Chinese
> >> Menu of Plots.
> >
> > Don't give them any ideas....
>
> Five quatloos says the Mirror Universe turns out to be a product of
> the Temporal Cold War.

I always thought the Mirror Universe was created by the events in "The
City on the Edge of Forever". The Empire is a direct result of the
Nazis conquering Earth then later moving into space.