When did they start talking about the Eugenics Wars???

Phaneron

Feb 10, 2004, 11:46:10 PM2/10/04

ST-TOS talked like by some Magic the earth had been spared global war and shares had been plowed into nail clippers or however that goes.

But in TNG shows they talk about "Eugenics Wars"... ominous sounding.

Any one know why this change? What was the most important effect of the Eugenics Wars?

\\ erratic ST viewer \\

ToolPackinMama

Feb 11, 2004, 12:02:01 AM2/11/04

The Eugenics Wars were first mentioned in TOS: Space Seed.

Tyralak

Feb 11, 2004, 3:55:12 AM2/11/04
ToolPackinMama <la...@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in

As far as I can tell, they didn't really affect the whole planet.

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,

Tyralak,
Supreme Commander Of The Imperial Romulan Warbird, Psionax

Official ASVS Token Trekkie

Michael Anderson

Feb 11, 2004, 8:28:16 AM2/11/04
The Eugenics Wars took place over all of Earth during the late 20th century.
Khan himself controlled over 3/4 of earth.

// Michael Anderson (Darkthunder)

"Tyralak" <tyr...@SecureUndisclosedLocation.com> wrote in message

ToolPackinMama

Feb 11, 2004, 8:28:54 AM2/11/04
Tyralak wrote:

> ToolPackinMama <la...@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in
>
> > Phaneron wrote:
> >>
> >> ST-TOS talked like by some Magic the earth had been spared global
> >> war and shares had been plowed into nail clippers or however that
> >> goes.
> >>
> >> But in TNG shows they talk about "Eugenics Wars"... ominous
> >> sounding.
> >>
> >> Any one know why this change? What was the most important effect
> >> of the Eugenics Wars?
> >
> > The Eugenics Wars were first mentioned in TOS: Space Seed.
> >

> As far as I can tell, they didn't really affect the whole planet.

In real life, they didn't effect us at all. In the TOS universe it was
pretty serious.

Tyralak

Feb 11, 2004, 9:52:10 AM2/11/04
ToolPackinMama <la...@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in

Unless you count that damn sheep...... :)

David Johnston

Feb 11, 2004, 1:10:38 PM2/11/04
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:46:10 -0500, "Phaneron" <pn...@therixon.com>
wrote:

> ST-TOS talked like by some Magic the earth had been spared global =

>war and shares had been plowed into nail clippers or however that goes.
>

> But in TNG shows they talk about "Eugenics Wars"... ominous =
>sounding. =20
>
> Any one know why this change? What was the most important effect of =
>the Eugenics Wars?

The most important effect of the Eugenics Wars is that it produced
Khan so that Captain Kirk could abandon him on Ceti Alpha whatever.
I realise this contradicts your opening sentence, but that's because
your opening sentence is wrong. TOS contained references to both
the Eugenics Wars and World War III (which may or may not have
been the same thing.

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 12, 2004, 2:44:00 PM2/12/04

"David Johnston" <rgorma...@telusplanet.net> schreef in bericht

The Eugenic wars took place between 1992 and 1996. This was mentioned in the
TOS ep 'Space Seed'.
WWIII took place in the 2050s (2051 or 2053, something like that).

There was a problem with the death toll of WWIII.
'Bread and Circuses mentioned some 30 million.
'First Contact' mentioned some 600 million.
Could be a difference between the actual war and it's aftermath though.

--
Wouter Valentijn

www.zeppodunsel.nl

With fanfics and essays. Some in Dutch. Some in English.

www.nksf.nl

De Nederlandstalige Nieuwsgroep voor SF, Fantasy en Horror.

"It's not about right, not about wrong... ...it's about power."
- The First Evil in "Lessons"

Chris Wayne

Feb 24, 2004, 12:12:27 AM2/24/04
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:10:38 GMT, rgorma...@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

> TOS contained references to both
>the Eugenics Wars and World War III (which may or may not have
>been the same thing.

I always thought that WWIII came in the aftermath void of the Eugenics
Wars (over the next 50 or so years). In much of the same way the void
after the fall of Rome plunged Europe into the Dark Ages, but on a
totally global scale. The immediate years after, you see warlords
vying for power. Widespread genocide is occurring like what happened
in Rwanda, Yugoslavia (except there wasn't a UN to stop the atrocities
- cough cough) or the threat of what could happen in Iraq if Democracy
doesn't take hold. With no controlling factor in this environment,
WWIII takes place.

chris

The Chief

Mar 22, 2004, 4:54:35 PM3/22/04

"Michael Anderson" <mac...@telia.com> wrote in message

> The Eugenics Wars took place over all of Earth during the late 20th
century.
> Khan himself controlled over 3/4 of earth.

It was said on the show that Kahn and his cohorts controlled 1/4, not 3/4.

Fitzdraco

Mar 24, 2004, 2:11:48 AM3/24/04

"The Chief" <zorinwe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
For those who are interested there are a couple of books about this. The
books take place in the 20th century and explain the eugenics war as they
happened using the events as various battles. The books include Gary Seven
and the guy that Scotty gave the transparent alluminum to in STIV

GMAN

Apr 8, 2004, 8:50:11 PM4/8/04
Oh cute, a nerd with an apple computer. Exciting reading??? NOT!!!