Voyager/Intrepid Design Observation/Question

35 views
Skip to first unread message

Ryan McReynolds

unread,
Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce <jan...@vic.com> wrote in message
news:371e63c1...@news.vic.com...
> Please don't tell me I'm the only one to notice this.

You're not, people have noticed it all the way from season one. =)

> Does this mean that at first the Voyager was MEANT to have a Runabout
> as an integral component, and this concept was discarded at the last
> minute...

The concept was never dropped, the craft is indeed docked at the bottom of
the primary hull. It is not a runabout, though it was designed to use the
same sets and thusly has a similar size and shape. It is basically a large,
aerodynamic shuttle, previously known by a variety of names. One of those
names was the Aerowing, for what it's worth. In any case, the aero-shuttle
was intended to be seen in season five, but plans were scrapped when the
producers came up with the idea for the Delta Flyer.

> or that maybe the Maquis craft would have been grafted on to the
> underside of the hull had it not been destroyed?

Not likely. The Maquis raider was roughly 85 meters long, compared with
around 25 meters for the aero-shuttle.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

David C. Baker

unread,
Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
to

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce wrote in message <371e63c1...@news.vic.com>...
>I was looking at my still unassembled Voyager model kit and took
>interest in the underside of the saucer section...in particular a
>formation of shapes in the very middle of the part (#2) on the kit. I
>went ahead and measured it...It's the same length a Runabout would be
>in that scale--and is even SHAPED like one! (Aside from the "wings" on
>either side.)
>
>Please don't tell me I'm the only one to notice this. Does this mean

>that at first the Voyager was MEANT to have a Runabout as an integral
>component, and this concept was discarded at the last minute...or that

>maybe the Maquis craft would have been grafted on to the underside of
>the hull had it not been destroyed?
>
>BTW, I'm going to remodel this area of my own craft too. I'm
>designing a new ship, based on the Runabout but much
>larger...patterned after the Yukikaze/Palladin torpedo boat from Space
>Cruiser Yamato/Star Blazers. It will retain the Runabout command
>module, but mounted amidships on a new hull with heavy photon torpedo
>tubes forward, crew quarters below the helm and bigger engines than
>the Runabout. I'll build this model both as part of my Denkoutei and
>as a conversion of the Runabout kit.
>
>Stephen Bierce
>
>nWMo

I think what you are talking about is the "Aerowing" shuttle. It has never
been seen on screen, but it is supposed to be like a runabout, but made for
atmospheric flight.

David C. Baker
to...@frontiernet.net


Stephen FPilot Bierce

unread,
Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
to

SrTHORius

unread,
Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
to
Hearing about the comment about that it was planned as a sort of atmospheric
shuttle before the Delta Flyer idea was introduced. Now that Insurrection has
premeired, should they wish to they could say that it's hte captain's yacht.
Since there's never been anything canon about exactly what it is, and it could
be assumed that this was the preliminary design that was introduced and the
Soverign class just took it from there. And since they haven't had time for a
lot of diplocatic runs or captain's vacations, of course there would have been
no reason to use it. Or so the excuse could go...

Andrew Wright

unread,
Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
to
> The concept was never dropped, the craft is indeed docked at the bottom of
> the primary hull. It is not a runabout, though it was designed to use the
> same sets and thusly has a similar size and shape. It is basically a large,
> aerodynamic shuttle, previously known by a variety of names. One of those
> names was the Aerowing, for what it's worth. In any case, the aero-shuttle
> was intended to be seen in season five, but plans were scrapped when the
> producers came up with the idea for the Delta Flyer.

How incredibly silly. They've had this special shuttle attached to
their ship all along, and have never once used it... ::groan::

Derek Clarke

unread,
Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99
to
In article <371ECEED...@itis.com>, ajwr...@itis.com (Andrew Wright)
wrote:

There's a precedent. There was a Captain's Yacht on the Enterprise-D which
never got used either.

Derek Clarke

unread,
Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99
to
In article <19990422021826...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,
srth...@aol.com (SrTHORius) wrote:

Or more likely since everyone on Voyager knows how long shuttles last,
they never dared use it in case there's something vulnerable in that part
of Voyager's real hull...

Andrew Wright

unread,
Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
to
> There's a precedent. There was a Captain's Yacht on the Enterprise-D which
> never got used either.

Yeah, I know. Of course, it had no warp capabilities. It's only real
use was to land on planets for diplomatic missions... of course,
transporters are really better in most cases. You can materialize
directly in ceremonial positions. Does it get any better than that?

The aerowing is supposed to have warp capability, so it'd be much more
useful.

Rick Sternbach

unread,
Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
to

Before I read the replies to this post, let me say that it's *awfully*
late in the game to have just noticed the AeroShuttle under the forward
hull. Gee, where have you been? ;)

Anyhow, the idea was to provide Voyager with a Captain's Yacht type of
shuttle/escape vehicle with out having to go too far away from an existing
set, namely the Runabout, which we had over on Deep Space 9. Yes, the
AeroShuttle (formerly called AeroWing but that name is TM'ed to a Mighty
Ducks toy aircraft) was very much like a runabout with aerosurfaces and
lift engines for VTOL ops. Foundation Imaging has done a test CGI clip of
the launch, and it looks ever so cool.

Rick

--
Rick Sternbach "We've been doing so much for so long with so
Senior Illustrator little, that we're now qualified to do anything
Star Trek Voyager with nothing."
Paramount Pictures --Remove .despam for email replies--


Singh

unread,
Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
to
>Foundation Imaging has done a test CGI clip of
> the launch, and it looks ever so cool.
>
> Rick

Where can I get this and how much would you like? <g>

Daniel J. Ellis

unread,
Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
to
Does this mean we'll get to see it soon?

---
Dan Ellis


>lift engines for VTOL ops. Foundation Imaging has done a test CGI clip of

Rick Sternbach

unread,
Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99
to
In article <7fvv18$ql2$3...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Daniel J. Ellis"
<dan...@danellis.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Depends on what you mean by soon. Maybe season 6, maybe never. It may be
that we need a darned good reason for using it, like with landing the
ship. The writers puzzled over that one a long time before committing.

Shaun Turner

unread,
Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
to
On Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:22:38 -0700, rsternba...@earthlink.net
(Rick Sternbach) wrote:


>Anyhow, the idea was to provide Voyager with a Captain's Yacht type of
>shuttle/escape vehicle with out having to go too far away from an existing
>set, namely the Runabout, which we had over on Deep Space 9. Yes, the
>AeroShuttle (formerly called AeroWing but that name is TM'ed to a Mighty
>Ducks toy aircraft) was very much like a runabout with aerosurfaces and

>lift engines for VTOL ops. Foundation Imaging has done a test CGI clip of
>the launch, and it looks ever so cool.
>

>Rick


You shoulent have said this about the test, now we all will want to
see it in an ep!! Think you could arange it :)))


------------------------------------------------------------
Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~sajt


Catch up with me as Galron on AUSTnet IRC. Come into #enterprise
or on ICQ #21901074
------------------------------------------------------------
Slight signature change for Supernews compliance

FPilot/nWMo--Stephen Bierce

unread,
Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
to
Rick Sternbach wrote:

> Before I read the replies to this post, let me say that it's *awfully*
> late in the game to have just noticed the AeroShuttle under the forward
> hull. Gee, where have you been? ;)

Too poor to afford a model kit at retail ^_^" And late again because I just
went on vacation.

> Anyhow, the idea was to provide Voyager with a Captain's Yacht type of
> shuttle/escape vehicle with out having to go too far away from an existing
> set, namely the Runabout, which we had over on Deep Space 9. Yes, the

> AeroShuttle was very much like a runabout with aerosurfaces and


> lift engines for VTOL ops. Foundation Imaging has done a test CGI clip of
> the launch, and it looks ever so cool.
>
> Rick

Glad to hear it. Can never have too many of those ever so cool looking CGI
clips. :)

But does this mean I should configure my parasite ship to have an aerodynamic
shape or keep it "slab-sided"? (Probably the former...) As an overall
concept I'm calling the type of craft "Gundalow" (which in the American
Revolution meant a whaleboat or sailing launch that was armed with a small
cannon). Runabout command section...everything else new and extrapolated
from the Intrepid and Sovereign idioms.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce (sharpening the pencils and readying the light table)
nWMo

-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages