Star Trek Novels: The Year in Review [1981]

ron c carman

Oct 17, 1992, 4:22:36 PM10/17/92
This is a review of Pocket Books' Star Trek novels published
during 1981.

1981 Releases-at-a-glance:
-----------------------------

Book # Title Date Published Rating / 5
#2 The Entropy Effect June 1981 4
#3 The Klingon Gambit October 1981 3
#4 The Covenant of the Crown December 1981 4

So, before we get into the subject:
Possible *SPOILERS* for Trek books released in '81.

>#2 The Entropy Effect Copyright June 1981
>Author: Vonda N. McIntyre
>StarDate: 5001.1
>
>Plot Summary:
> The Enterprise is summoned to transport a dangerous criminal
>from Starbase prison to a rehabilitation center: brilliant physicist
>Dr. Georges Mordreaux, accused of promising to send people back
>in time -- then killing them instead.
> But there's more at stake than just a few lives. For Mordreaux's
>experimients have somehow thrown the entire universe into a deadly
>time warp. All of existence is closing in on itself -- and only
>Spock can stop THE ENTROPY EFFECT!
>
> "Vonda McIntyre's STAR TREK adventures always have many extras."
> -- Gene Roddenberry

Vonda McIntyre must be one of the best Trek writers around.
This was a very enjoyable novel, with good characterization,
plot, and narrative.
Was this one written before RA became such an influence?
We actually have events which touch both the characters *and*
the reader. If you're a fan of time-travel adventures, this
is a must read!

(Numbers aren't the best indicators of the quality of anything,
be it book, episode, movie, what-have-you, but they do give a
better understanding of what worked/didn't work in the piece.

So, the numbers (out of 5):
Characterization: 4
Premise: 3 (time travel speeds entropy?)
Plot Handling: 4
Narrative: 4

Total: 4 [rounding up a bit for killing off Kirk ;)]

Next: The Klingon Gambit

>#3 The Klingon Gambit Copyright October 1981
>Author: Robert E. Vardeman
>StarDate: 4720.1
>
>Plot Summary:
> THE KLINGONS ARE HUNGARY FOR WAR ... THEIR TARGET: THE ENTERPRISE!
>
> When Captain Kirk and his crew are ordered to Alnath II to
>challenge the deadliest Klingon Starship Terror, they're ready
>for anything -- or so they think. But the defenseless Vulcan
>crew of a Federation science ship has been wiped out. The
>remaining members of the Alnath II mission have discovered a
>fabulous ancient city -- but their report doesn't make sense.
>The Klingon battle cruiser has the Enterprise in its sights,
>and is ready to destroy it.
> But Captain Kirk can't seem to make decisions. Spock has
>started to throw temper tantrums. And Chekov has disobeyed
>vital orders.
> The crew of the Enterprise are loosing their minds...
>one by one... all victims of... THE KLINGON GAMBIT

I don't have much to say about Vardeman. The characterization
is average, and the plot is decent, but the story is basically
forgettable. I don't remember much about it myself, and I just
recently read it...
All in all I'd call this a complacently average novel.

Characterization: 3
Premise: 2 (a stone which reads minds and grants wishes?)
Plot Handling: 3
Narrative: 3

Total: 3 [decidely average]

Next: The Covenant of the Crown

>#4 The Covenant of the Crown Copyright December 1981
>Author: Howard Weinstein
>StarDate: 7815.3
>
>Plot summary:
> THE SHADDAN CROWN IS THE KEY TO POWER
> -- AND THE KLINGONS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE!
>
> An Enterprise shuttle is forced to crash-land in a violent
>storm on the barren planet Sigma 1212. Spock, McCoy and Kailyn,
>the beautiful heir to the Shaddan throne, survive in the near disaster.
> Now, pursued by primitive hunters and a band of Klingon scouts,
>they must reach the mountain where the fabulous dynastic crown is
>hidden. With the help of Spock and McCoy, and her own fantastic
>mental powers, Kailyn must prove that she alone is the true heir to
>the throne.
> If they fail, they will open the door for Klingon takeover of the
>whole quadrant -- and the galaxy's hope to live long and prosper will
>fall in the shadow of a cruel tyranny!

I'll say this: I don't care for Mr. Weinstein's sometime practice
of bashing his readers over the head with whatever message he's trying
to convey. That tendency was notably absent from this novel, however.
I enjoyed this one. It's a story of self-trial and self-discovery,
and quite well done in that respect. I also found it refreshing to
have some of a character's background revealed. We get some interesting
tidbits about an early mission of James T. Kirk, when he was just a
Lieutenant...

Characterization: 3 [nothing very revealing here]
Premise: 4
Plot Handling: 4 [good work with the story]
Narrative: 3

Total: 4 [a good read]

RC Carman

--
/=======================================================================\
| Ron C. Carman || 'What you want is irrelevant. |

David Pipgras

Oct 17, 1992, 8:35:44 PM10/17/92
> Vonda McIntyre must be one of the best Trek writers around.

Gasp! Ack! Choke! eh! Vonda McIntyre and best in the same sectence, much
less the same reference??? Ack!. I have found her writing to be totally
uneventful, and more often than not, an effort to finish. Especially
"Enterprise" -- now that was a god-awful novel....and before R'nold was
ever in power.....

Dave

Kurt Roithinger

Oct 18, 1992, 4:48:37 AM10/18/92
In <1992Oct17....@pro-freedom.cts.com>
p...@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:

amen to that.
H. Beam Piper lives forever........in PARATIME!

ProLine: kfr@pro-freedom
Internet: k...@pro-freedom.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-freedom!kfr

ron c carman

Oct 23, 1992, 9:08:41 PM10/23/92
This is a review of Pocket Books' Star Trek novels published
during 1984.
Ratings translate as follows:

Rating Meaning
--------------------------------------
5 SUPERIOR: Run out and buy this NOW
4 EXCELLENT: Make sure to buy this soon
3 AVERAGE: Purchase as funds allow
2 POOR: Wait for your tax refund
1 AWFUL: Avoid at ALL costs

1984 Releases-at-a-glance:
-----------------------------

Book # Title Date Published Rating / 5

#14 The Trellisane Confrontation February 1984 2+
#15 Corona April 1984 4-
#16 The Final Reflection May 1984 5-
#18 My Enemy, My Ally July 1984 5
#19 The Tears of the Singers September 1984 4+
#20 The Vulcan Academy Murders November 1984 4

/* place comments here */
Possible *SPOILERS* for Trek books released in '84.

>#14 The Trellisane Confrontation Copyright February 1984
>Author: David Dvorkin
>StarDate: 7521.6
>
>Plot Summary:
> The Enterprise has rushed to war-torn Trellisane! Kirk is on
>the bridge of a Klingon warship, McCoy is dining with cannibals,
>and the ship is surrounded by Romulans. In the Neutral Zone,
>power is up for grabs. Now only the ingenuity and raw courage
>of the Enterprise crew can avert catastrophe!

Probably the most *forgettable* Trek novel to come along
in a great while. I read this just recently, and I can't
remember one significant thing about it. Dvorkin writes well,
but seems to have trouble coming up with involving, significant
plots.

Characterization: 3
Premise: 2
Plot Handling: 2
Narrative: 3

Total: 2+

Next: Corona

>#15 Corona Copyright April 1984
>Author: Greg Bear
>StarDate: 4380.4
>
>Plot Summary:
> An awesome, sentient force of protostars -- Corona -- has
>taken control of a stranded team of Vulcan scientists. The
>Enterprise has come on a rescue mission, with a female reporter
>and a new computer that can override Kirk's command. Suddenly,
>the rescuers must save themselves and the entire Universe --
>before Corona unleashes a Big Bang!

Now here's an interesting concept. A star which is sentient,
plotting to create a new Big Bang, so that more sentient stars
can evolve and keep it company.
The plot is interesting, and Bear keeps things moving along
nicely. He also does a competent job of portraying the Vulcans.
I enjoyed this one; it's a good light read.

Characterization: 4

Premise: 4
Plot Handling: 4

Narrative: 3

Total: 4-

Next: The Final Reflection

>#16 The Final Reflection Copyright May 1984
>Author: John M. Ford
>StarDate: 8405.15
>
>Plot Summary:
> Klingon Captain Krenn is a ruthless war strategist. But on a
>mission to Earth, Krenn learns a lesson in peace. Suddenly he
>must fight a secret battle of his own. His Empire has a covert
>plan to shatter the Federation. Only Krenn can prevent a war --
>at the risk of his own life!

Probably the authoritative work on the Klingons.
This is a fabulous novel, if you can get over not seeing
much of the usual central characters.
In addition to gaining new insights into the Klingons
(and their form of chess, Klin Zha), we get to see a very
young Spock, and meet McCoy's Great-Grandfather.

Characterization: 5
Premise: 5
Plot Handling: 4
Narrative: 5

Total: 5-

Next: My Enemy, My Ally

>#18 My Enemy, My Ally Copyright July 1984
>Author: Diane Duane
>StarDate: 304.6
>
>Plot Summary:
> Ael t'Rllaillieu is a noble -- and dangerous -- Romulan Commander.
>But when the Romulans kidnap Vulcans to genetically harness their
>mind power, Ael decides on treason. Captain Kirk, her old enemy,
>joins her in a secret pact to destroy the research laboratory and
>free the captive Vulcans. When the Romulans discover their plan,
>the Neutral Zone seethes with schemes and counter-schemes, sabotage,
>and war!

If John Ford's _Final_Reflection_ was the authoritative source
on the Klingons, _My_Enemy_ is its Romulan counterpart. An excellent
plot and superior characters make this action-packed novel a one-of-
a-kind happening. An absolute must-read.

Characterization: 5
Premise: 5
Plot Handling: 5
Narrative: 5

Total: 5

Next: The Tears of the Singers

>#19 The Tears of the Singers Copyright September 1984
>Author: Melinda Snodgrass
>StarDate: 3126.7
>
>Plot Summary:
> Captain Kirk and the Enterprise join the Klingons to avert disaster
>in the Taygeta V system -- where a time/space warp has swallowed a
>spaceship without a trace. Spock suspects a link between the anomaly
>and the inhabitants of Taygeta, semi-aquatic creatures killed for the
>jewel-like tears secreted at the moment of death. But a mutinous
>Klingon officer threatens the vital mission, as a desperate Kirk and
>Spock race to save the Taygetians, the Federation -- and the entire
>universe!

Another great novel in a year with several. Snodgrass has created
a fantastic race in the Singers. This one also makes quite a statement
regarding current times' hunting practices...
The characterization here is very good. The reader is actually
able to feel what the characters are going through; and that's something
that happens all too seldom in Trek novels of late.

Characterization: 5

Premise: 4
Plot Handling: 4

Narrative: 4

Total: 4+

Next: The Vulcan Academy Murders

>#20 The Vulcan Academy Murders Copyright November 1984
>Author: Jean Lorrah
>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>
>Plot Summary:
> Kirk and McCoy accompany Spock to the Vulcan Academy Hospital,
>seeking experimental treatment for a badly wounded Enterprise
>crew member. Spock's mother is also a patient in the hospital,
>and Kirk soon becomes involved in the complex drama of Spock's
>family...
> Suddenly, patients are dying, and Kirk suspects the unthink-
>able -- murder on Vulcan! But can he convince the Vulcans that
>something as illogical as murder is possible? Until the killer
>is caught, everyone is in danger!

A murder mystery set in the Vulcan desert. This is a good
read. That familiar Spock-McCoy give-and-take is something which
is too often absent from the novels, and it's good to see it work
here.

Characterization: 4

Premise: 4
Plot Handling: 4

Narrative: 4

Total: 4

RC Carman

--
/=======================================================================\
| Ron C. Carman || 'N C C 1 7 0 1. |

ron c carman

Oct 24, 1992, 6:50:26 PM10/24/92
This is a review of Pocket Books' Star Trek novels published
during 1985.
Ratings translate as follows:

Rating Meaning
--------------------------------------
5 SUPERIOR: Run out and buy this NOW
4 EXCELLENT: Make sure to buy this soon
3 AVERAGE: Purchase as funds allow
2 POOR: Wait for your tax refund
1 AWFUL: Avoid at ALL costs

1985 Releases-at-a-glance:
-----------------------------

Book # Title Date Published Rating / 5

#21 Uhura's Song January 1985 5
#22 Shadow Lord March 1985 3+
#23 Ishmael May 1985 4-
#24 Killing Time July 1985 4+
#25 Dwellers in the Crucible September 1985 5
#26 Pawns and Symbols November 1985 4
------------------
Year Average: 4+

/* Good stuff follows :-) */
Possible *SPOILERS* for Trek books released in '85.

>#21 Uhura's Song Copyright January 1985
>Author: Janet Kagan
>StarDate: 2950.3
>
>Plot Summary:
> Years ago, Lt. Uhura befriended a diplomat from Eeiauo, the land
>of graceful, cat-like beings. The two women exhanged forbidden
>songs and promised never to reveal their secret.
> Now the Enterprise is orbiting Eeiauo in a desperate race to save
>the inhabitants before a deadly plague destroys them. Uhura's secret
>songs may hold the key to a cure -- but the clues are veiled in layers
>of mystery. The plague is killing humans, threatening other planets
>-- and Kirk must crack the code before the Enterprise succumbs!

An auspicious start to 1985. This is a wonderful novel.
Kagan has come up with some of the most wonderful characters
I've ever seen. This is one of the handful of novels which
I would concede are masterful. Characterization, plot,
dialogue, everything comes together to create a thoroughly
involving, entertaining book.

Characterization: 5
Premise: 5
Plot Handling: 5
Narrative: 5

Total: 5

Next: Shadow Lord

>#22 Shadow Lord Copyright March 1985
>Author: Laurence Yep
>StarDate: 1831.5
>
>Plot Summary:
> Angira is a primitive, violent planet -- and yound Prince Vikram
>returns from Earth filled with new ideas. When Sulu and Spock
>accompany Vikram home, they walk into a bloodbath: reactionary
>forces, afraid of any modernization, have seized Vikram's rightful
>throne. Suddenly the men from the Enterprise are on an underground
>journey with a Prince who is coming of age. The future of Angira
>is at stake, and each man's survival depends on his skill -- and
>daring -- with a sword!

This one was less than average. I don't really know what
put me off of this novel, but I just didn't like it. Perhaps
it was because the characterization wasn't quite up to par,
or just that I didn't like Prince Vikram.....

Characterization: 3
Premise: 4

Plot Handling: 3
Narrative: 3

Total: 3+

Next: Ishmael

>#23 Ishmael Copyright May 1985
>Author: Barbara Hambly
>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>
>Plot Summary:
> The Enterprise is on a peaceful mission at Starbase 12 when a
>bizarre cosmic phenomenon causes a Klingon ship to suddenly vanish
>-- with Spock aboard for the ride. Spock's last message from the
>Klingon ship is cryptic and frightening. The Klingons are traveling
>into the past, searching for the one man who holds a vital key to
>the future. If they can kill that man, the course of history will
>be changed -- and the Federation will be destroyed!

This would seem to be another novel that you will either love
or hate. I quite enjoyed it. If you enjoy time travel stories,
then you might like this one... but this novel's resemblance to
'Here Come the Brides' may be a hindrance.
Even with that, seeing a bit of Spock's distant past was
quite interesting enough to keep me interested, and the novel
was quite well-written.

Characterization: 4
Premise: 4
Plot Handling: 3
Narrative: 4

Total: 4-

Next: Killing Time

>#24 Killing Time Copyright July 1985
>Author: Della Van Hise
>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>
>Plot Summary:
> Second History: a Romulan time-tampering project that has transported
>the Enterprise and the galaxy into an alternate dimension of reality.
>Now, Kirk is an embittered young ensign and Spock is a beseiged Starship
>commander.
> Lured into a Romulan trap, Captain Spock and Ensign Kirk must free
>themselves from both their captors and their own altered selves ...
>before the galaxy hurtles toward total destruction!

Another story involving time travel. Due to a Romulan time-
tampering experiment, Spock is now Captain of the "Enterprise", and
Kirk is just an ensign. The two must work together to restore
the universe to the proper time-line.
Van Hise has done a great job on the interaction between
Kirk and Spock. And the rest of the characters are as well done.
The plot rolls along just fine, and works very well...

Characterization: 4
Premise: 5

Plot Handling: 4
Narrative: 4

Total: 4+

Next: Dwellers in the Crucible

>#25 Dwellers in the Crucible Copyright September 1985
>Author: Margaret Wander Bonanno
>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>
>Plot Summary:
> Warrantors of Peace: the Federation's daring experiment to prevent
>war among its members. Each Warrantor, man or woman is hostage for the
>government of his native world -- and is instantly killed if that world
>breaks the peace.
> Now Romulans have kidnapped six Warrantors, to foment political chaos
>-- and then civil war -- within the Federation. Captain Kirk must send
>Sulu to infiltrate Romulan territory, find the hostages, and bring them
>back alive -- before the Federation self-destructs!

The only thing I can say about this one is Incredible. _Dwellers_
is a fascinating study of friendship between a Vulcan and a Human.
Not the Vulcan and Human we all know so well, but two women.
This one's too good to spoil here, but it is an absolute must-read.

Characterization: 5
Premise: 5
Plot Handling: 5
Narrative: 5

Total: 5

Next: Pawns and Symbols

>#26 Pawns and Symbols Copyright November 1985
>Author: Majliss Larson
>StarDate: 5960.2
>
>Plot Summary:
> Threatened by a deadly famine, the Klingon Empire is on the verge
>of igniting a mad interplanetary war of conquest. When an earthquake
>destroys a remote Federation research station, Jean Czerny, agricultural
>scientist, succumbs to amnesia. Stranded on enemy borders, she is
>imprisoned by Kang, the evil commander of a Klingon battleship. Now
>Kirk must play a dangerous game of mind strategy to prevent a savage
>attack on the Federation!

This one's another interesting study of the Klingons and their
culture. It's a bit slow going, though. It is interesting, but
the plot does drag at points.

Characterization: 4
Premise: 5
Plot Handling: 3
Narrative: 4

Total: 4

RC Carman
--
/=======================================================================\

Gym Z. Quirk

Oct 25, 1992, 5:55:16 PM10/25/92
In article <rccarm00....@mik.uky.edu> rcca...@mik.uky.edu (ron c carman) writes:
> This is a review of Pocket Books' Star Trek novels published
>during 1985.
>[snip!]
>/* Good stuff follows :-) */
> Possible *SPOILERS* for Trek books released in '85.

>>#21 Uhura's Song Copyright January 1985
>>Author: Janet Kagan
>>StarDate: 2950.3
>>
>>Plot Summary:[Deleted]

> An auspicious start to 1985. This is a wonderful novel.
>Kagan has come up with some of the most wonderful characters
>I've ever seen. This is one of the handful of novels which
>I would concede are masterful. Characterization, plot,
>dialogue, everything comes together to create a thoroughly
>involving, entertaining book.
>
> Total: 5

Agreed whole-heartedly. Ranks in my top three (exact placement
depends on how recently I've read _The Final Reflection_ and _My
Enemy, My Ally_. ;-)

>>#22 Shadow Lord Copyright March 1985
>>Author: Laurence Yep
>>StarDate: 1831.5
>>

>>Plot Summary:[Deleted]

> This one was less than average. I don't really know what
>put me off of this novel, but I just didn't like it. Perhaps
>it was because the characterization wasn't quite up to par,
>or just that I didn't like Prince Vikram.....
>
> Characterization: 3
> Premise: 4
> Plot Handling: 3
> Narrative: 3
>
> Total: 3+

You are too kind. The only plus on this book I can think of is the
treatment of Sulu. 2- in my book.

>>#23 Ishmael Copyright May 1985
>>Author: Barbara Hambly
>>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>>

>>Plot Summary:[Deleted]

> This would seem to be another novel that you will either love
>or hate. I quite enjoyed it. If you enjoy time travel stories,
>then you might like this one... but this novel's resemblance to
>'Here Come the Brides' may be a hindrance.
> Even with that, seeing a bit of Spock's distant past was
>quite interesting enough to keep me interested, and the novel
>was quite well-written.
>

> Total: 4-

About right here.

>>#24 Killing Time Copyright July 1985
>>Author: Della Van Hise
>>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>>

>>Plot Summary:[Deleted]

> Another story involving time travel. Due to a Romulan time-
>tampering experiment, Spock is now Captain of the "Enterprise", and
>Kirk is just an ensign. The two must work together to restore
>the universe to the proper time-line.
> Van Hise has done a great job on the interaction between
>Kirk and Spock. And the rest of the characters are as well done.
>The plot rolls along just fine, and works very well...

I had some problems with the premise and something about the
characters diddn't ring quite true for me.

> Total: 4+

More like 3+ here.

>>#25 Dwellers in the Crucible Copyright September 1985
>>Author: Margaret Wander Bonanno
>>StarDate: UNKNOWN
>>

>>Plot Summary:[Deleted]

> The only thing I can say about this one is Incredible. _Dwellers_
>is a fascinating study of friendship between a Vulcan and a Human.
>Not the Vulcan and Human we all know so well, but two women.
>This one's too good to spoil here, but it is an absolute must-read.

Sorry. I found the entire 'Warrantors' premise flimsy (which more or
less destroys the plot as far as I'm concerned). Unlike other books
which do not focus on the _Enterprise_ crew, I found the principal
characters uninteresting. This did not improve when I attempted a
re-read.

> Characterization: 5
> Premise: 5
> Plot Handling: 5
> Narrative: 5
>
> Total: 5

3+ here.

>>#26 Pawns and Symbols Copyright November 1985
>>Author: Majliss Larson
>>StarDate: 5960.2
>>

>>Plot Summary:[Deleted]

> This one's another interesting study of the Klingons and their
>culture. It's a bit slow going, though. It is interesting, but
>the plot does drag at points.

Despite not following Ford's Klingons ;-), I found this a generally
entertaining read. While I much perfer the Komerex Zha to the society
depicted here, it is a decent 'alternate Klingon' description. ;-)

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk (Known to some as Taki Kogoma) qu...@pioneer.unm.edu
I'll get a life when someone demonstrates that it would be superior to