Stardate's

Richard D Chatham

Mar 16, 1994, 6:07:00 PM3/16/94
In article <mreed00....@mik.uky.edu>, mre...@mik.uky.edu
(matthew reed) writes...
>Someone please tell me how the star date works. I am a member of the ST-TNG
video club and I can't make any sense of those dates. Even the tech. man.
does not explain it! Please Help.
>Matthew Reed
>mreed00.ukcc.uky.edu

That information is TOP SECRET and is handed out only on a need-to-know
basis. You, sir, have no need-to-know. [:)]

Seriously, as far as I know, the stardates for an episode are pretty
much chosen arbitrarily and capriciously (but they do seem to form a
monotonically increasing sequence). There were introduced into the original
series so that Roddenberry (and company) wouldn't have to give specific dates.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
Doug Chatham

Joel Engel

Mar 17, 1994, 2:03:49 PM3/17/94

>>Someone please tell me how the star date works. I am a member of the ST-TNG
>video club and I can't make any sense of those dates. Even the tech. man.
>does not explain it! Please Help.
>

> That information is TOP SECRET and is handed out only on a need-to-know
>basis. You, sir, have no need-to-know. [:)]
>
> Seriously, as far as I know, the stardates for an episode are pretty
>much chosen arbitrarily and capriciously (but they do seem to form a
>monotonically increasing sequence). There were introduced into the original
>series so that Roddenberry (and company) wouldn't have to give specific dates.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. When I was researching my Gene Roddenberry biography
("Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek," which will be
in stores in a couple of weeks), I had several long conversations with
Samuel A. Peeples, the great writer who wrote "Where No Man Has Gone
Before," which was the second ST pilot and the one that actually sold the
show. He told me that he and Gene had several drinks before sitting down
in front of a pictorial depiction of the known universe.

I quote Peeples from the text: "We tried to set up a system that would
be unidentifiable unless you knew how we did it....The stardate on Earth
would be one thing, but the stardate on Alpha Centauri would be different.
We thought this was hilarious, because everyone would say, 'How come this
date is before that date when this show is after that show?' The answer was
because you were in a different sector of the universe."

It's safe to say that, without Sam Peeples, there would have never been
a ST--and not just because of the first pilot. It was he who educated
Roddenberry in science fiction. Before getting the assignment from
Desilu studios to write "a science fiction pilot," GR knew nothing about
sf. He went to Peeples, an old friend who at that time had one of the
largest private sf collections, who kindly and without charge taught him
how to start thinking about sf plot and character and substance. This is
not speculation on my part, nor bragging on his (far from it; Peeples is
loathe to talk about his considerable contribution to ST's birth and
development). I found the documentation that proves Peeples's role in
history.

Joel Engel