Wes, so long, farewell, amen!

TBrannan

Mar 30, 1994, 4:10:02 AM3/30/94
"Wesley Crusher has become unstuck in time..."

With all regards to Kurt Vonegut....

Actually I think this is rather a nice end to Wes, (the most hate being in
Starfleet), imaging a 50+ Crusher popping in and out reality to aid the
federation like a Dr. Who-ish character. Or a Pan-galactic wanderer ala Ford
Prefect.

High potential...

Tim Brannan
tbrannan @ aol.com
tbrannan @ siucvmb.siu.edu

R Henry

Mar 30, 1994, 6:24:28 AM3/30/94
In article <2nbfla$q...@search01.news.aol.com>, tbra...@aol.com (TBrannan)
wrote:

> Actually I think this is rather a nice end to Wes, (the most hate being in
> Starfleet), imaging a 50+ Crusher popping in and out reality to aid the
> federation like a Dr. Who-ish character. Or a Pan-galactic wanderer ala Ford
> Prefect.

I'm not too sure we should be saying goodbye just yet.... JE episode seems
like a perfect lead-in to get the lil weasle and his Odo-faced mentor onto
Voyager!
--
Ron Henry
rg...@cornell.edu

Brian P. Myrick

Apr 4, 1994, 1:39:33 PM4/4/94
In article <rgh3-300...@128.253.70.90> rg...@cornell.edu (R Henry) writes:
>From: rg...@cornell.edu (R Henry)
>Subject: Re: Wes, so long, farewell, amen!
>Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 11:24:28 +0000

>In article <2nbfla$q...@search01.news.aol.com>, tbra...@aol.com (TBrannan)
>wrote:

>I'm not too sure we should be saying goodbye just yet.... JE episode seems

>like a perfect lead-in to get the lil weasle and his Odo-faced mentor onto
>Voyager!
>--

or onto his own show?

Mark Hutton

Apr 8, 1994, 10:22:52 AM4/8/94
Brian P. Myrick (myr...@clark.net) wrote:

Reading the views on the net and elsewhere (friends and so on) Wes
must have been the most unpopular character in Star Trek (TOS, TNG and
DS9 combined). It is amazing Paramount didn't take Wil Weaton out the
back of the studio and shoot him. They got rid of the Pulaski
character fast enough when it was evident she wasn't popular with the
viewers. It must be said I watched Toy Soldiers when I found out that
Wil gets shot, it was the best part of the film!

Mark Hutton

Dennis Bailey

Apr 13, 1994, 6:38:38 PM4/13/94
In article <Cny2M...@oasis.icl.co.uk> ma...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Hutton) writes:

>Reading the views on the net and elsewhere (friends and so on) Wes
>must have been the most unpopular character in Star Trek (TOS, TNG and
>DS9 combined). It is amazing Paramount didn't take Wil Weaton out the
>back of the studio and shoot him. They got rid of the Pulaski
>character fast enough when it was evident she wasn't popular with the
>viewers. It must be said I watched Toy Soldiers when I found out that
>Wil gets shot, it was the best part of the film!

>Mark Hutton

That's not why Pulaski was written out, though fans like to think so -- there
were other backstage issues involved. And based on fan mail, Wesley was the
most popular character on the series for the first couple of years. Bear in
mind that the whole-audience profile of the series isn't represented by us
self-selected ST fans who hang out together and critique the series endlessly.
<g>

Kenton L. Campbell

Apr 17, 1994, 10:42:33 AM4/17/94
In article <Cny2M...@oasis.icl.co.uk>, ma...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Hutton) writes:

> Reading the views on the net and elsewhere (friends and so on) Wes
> must have been the most unpopular character in Star Trek (TOS, TNG and
> DS9 combined). It is amazing Paramount didn't take Wil Weaton out the
> back of the studio and shoot him. They got rid of the Pulaski
> character fast enough when it was evident she wasn't popular with the
> viewers. It must be said I watched Toy Soldiers when I found out that
> Wil gets shot, it was the best part of the film!

Hmmn. I've found that of my friends who watch TNG and (at least
occasionally) read R.A.S.C, Wesley is disliked to hated. Of my friends
who watch TNG and *don't* read R.A.S.C, Wesley is generally neutral to
well-liked.

It seems like once a handful of people posted that they hated Wes,
everyone here just jumped on the Wesley-bashing bandwagon, and now
hatred for Wesley is like a runaway train....ain't nothin' gonna stop
it. New people come on, see that Wes is despised, and pretty soon
they despise him too.

And FYI Pulaski wasn't dismissed because fans hated her. She was
dismissed because Muldaur was reportedly difficult to work with and
didn't get along with the rest of the cast, who wanted McFadden back.

-- Kenton L. Campbell ------------------------- 01klca...@BSUVAX1.BITNET --
-- Ball State University, Muncie IN -------- 01klca...@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu --

Phil Verdieck (x246)

Apr 21, 1994, 9:42:01 AM4/21/94
01klca...@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu (Kenton L. Campbell) writes:

>Hmmn. I've found that of my friends who watch TNG and (at least
>occasionally) read R.A.S.C, Wesley is disliked to hated. Of my friends
>who watch TNG and *don't* read R.A.S.C, Wesley is generally neutral to
>well-liked.

>It seems like once a handful of people posted that they hated Wes,
>everyone here just jumped on the Wesley-bashing bandwagon, and now
>hatred for Wesley is like a runaway train....ain't nothin' gonna stop
>it. New people come on, see that Wes is despised, and pretty soon
>they despise him too.

I think the Wes hating started with the excesses of his role in the
First season episodes. Too many Wes the wonderboy saving the day
stuff.

I really don't have a problem with the later Wes stuff, like I think
Final Mission was well done, that's a great episode....

Phil V.
--

"Either he's dead, or my watch has stopped!"

Philip Verdieck ph...@sonosam.wisdom.bubble.org

Neil Sarver

Apr 23, 1994, 1:45:02 PM4/23/94
Phil Verdieck (x246) <ph...@sonosam.wisdom.bubble.org> writes:

>I think the Wes hating started with the excesses of his role in the
>First season episodes. Too many Wes the wonderboy saving the day
>stuff.

That's such a fucking crock! Name all these first season Wes the Wonderboy
saving the day episodes. Name three, that would genuinely prove you point to
me. Two would, at least, be more than I think there are...

>I really don't have a problem with the later Wes stuff, like I think
>Final Mission was well done, that's a great episode....

That is a genuinely interesting and well acted episode. It is definitely the
best Wesley episode.

Neil

THE TREKNOLOGIST

Apr 26, 1994, 9:46:17 PM4/26/94
In article <pk0sTHO.n...@delphi.com>, Neil Sarver <neils...@delphi.com> writes:
> Phil Verdieck (x246) <ph...@sonosam.wisdom.bubble.org> writes:
>
> Name all these first season Wes the Wonderboy
> saving the day episodes. Name three, that would genuinely prove you point to
> me. Two would, at least, be more than I think there are...

Well, Neil, here's some for starters...

"The Naked Now": Reverses tractor beam to push E out of way of stellar material
"The Battle": Recognizes similarity in Picard and sphere's brain wave patterns
or was that "Lonely Among Us?"
"Where No One has Gone Before": Helps the Traveller make the E go superwarp
"The Big Goodbye": Repairs Holodeck single-handedly!
"Datalore": The only one to realize Lore is impersonating Data
"Skin of Evil": Sacifices self. Oops, that was Yar. Damn!

>>I really don't have a problem with the later Wes stuff,

Well, I sure do...

"The Dauphin": Basically just a sick romance story between him & shape-shifter,
Although I did enjoy watching him shit his pants when she changed into that
beast to challenge her guardian.
"Peak Performance": School project used for warp drive
"Evolution": Creates a sentient race
"The Enemy": Detects Geordi's signal from Galorndon Core
"The High Ground": Locates undergound base of the Ansata Terrorists
"A Matter of Perspective": Helps Geordi find source of mysterious radiation
"Yesterday's Enterprise": Appears in alternate timeline to sacrifice self once
more... Oops, that was Yar. Dammit!
"Menage a Troi": Recognizes pattern in Riker's transmission
"Best of Both Worlds, part II": Managed not to collide E with Borg vessel
"Remember Me": Summons the Traveller with mere thought

>> like I think Final Mission was well done, that's a great episode....

I'm sure you thought it was. All TrekHeads know that a tricorder can be
modified to do anything. Especially in conjuction with other peices of
equipment. (See CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER, The Enemy, etc...)
In this case, his communicator.

> That is a genuinely interesting and well acted episode.

You must go for that Picard nostalgia, huh? The good ol' days w/ Boothby!

> It is definitely the
> best Wesley episode.

Don't you mean Weasel episode?

Clifford Hall

Dennis Bailey

Apr 28, 1994, 5:03:46 PM4/28/94
In article <1994Apr26...@acad.drake.edu> cth...@acad.drake.edu (THE TREKNOLOGIST) writes:
>From: cth...@acad.drake.edu (THE TREKNOLOGIST)
>Subject: Re: Wes hating ...purge
>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 01:46:17 GMT

>> It is definitely the
>> best Wesley episode.

>Don't you mean Weasel episode?

>Clifford Hall

This follows the first rule of Wesley-bashing: when we can't think of
anything clever or interesting to say, make fun of the character's name. Duh.

Timothy Brannan

May 5, 2022, 5:46:09 PM5/5/22
OK. Here we are nearly 30 years later.
Do I get to say I called it?

Tim

thedaemon

Jun 20, 2022, 2:55:18 PM6/20/22
Yes, nailed it!

pH

Jun 23, 2022, 7:30:20 PM6/23/22
I concur. Although at the time I must say I heard people saying they were
dismayed by the Will Robinson--err, Crusher character and wished he'd fall
victim to a worm hole or transporter accident.

Pureheart in Aptos

Travoltron

Jun 25, 2022, 5:33:51 PM6/25/22
On 6/23/2022 4:30 PM, pH wrote:
> I concur. Although at the time I must say I heard people saying they were
> dismayed by the Will Robinson--err, Crusher character and wished he'd fall
> victim to a worm hole or transporter accident.

I'm still hoping for that, to be honest.

pH

Jun 25, 2022, 6:35:42 PM6/25/22
I never cared for the character, nor the female Dr.

The buddy/guy energy of the original series just does not flow w/ mixed
genders, even girls agree.

pH