Question about humanoid inter-relationships

1 view

Greg Krehbiel

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Folks,

There was a TNG episode where Picard's former archeology professor had some
great secret that he wanted Picard in on. The Enterprise got caught up in
some wild search (racing against Klingons, Romulons, etc.) that resulted in
the discovery that some alien race had caused all the humanoid species to
evolve the way they did.

Can anyone remember (1) the name of the episode and (2) the name of the race
that did this?

Thanks,

Greg

--
=======================
http://www.dolphin.org/Greg

Samuel Sands

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
The sixth season episode, "The Chase". An interesting sidenote, the woman
who plays the alien, later plays the female changeling on DS9. Sorry, I don't
know the name of the race.

Sam Sands

Wes Street

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98

haunted...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<3664886C...@mindspring.com>...
>I always wondered if this race of humanoids was also the Preservers...

The name of the race was never established in the episode. And according to
the ST Chornology, the Preservers were doing their work long after the race
shown in "The Chase" died out. But still it's possible...

Regards,

Wes

haunted...@mindspring.com

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
I always wondered if this race of humanoids was also the Preservers...

-Kronos

PS: The Humanoid Progenitor race was never named.

Timo S Saloniemi

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
In article <ORX82.294$ZP.35...@audrey2.cais.com> "Greg Krehbiel" <kreh...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>Folks,
>
>There was a TNG episode where Picard's former archeology professor had some
>great secret that he wanted Picard in on. The Enterprise got caught up in
>some wild search (racing against Klingons, Romulons, etc.) that resulted in
>the discovery that some alien race had caused all the humanoid species to
>evolve the way they did.
>
>Can anyone remember (1) the name of the episode and (2) the name of the race
>that did this?

1) "The Chase"

2) The aliens were given no formal name. Many fans have interpreted them
to be the Preservers mentioned in TOS "Paradise Sydrome", and the
episode writer has said he kinda thought that was the case, too. But
this seems very unlikely - the Preservers were operating as of the 18th
or 19th century, busily relocating natives from America, while the
aliens of "The Chase" have been dead for billions of years, and
apparently were not interested in transplanting entire cultures the
way the Preservers did.

One might think the Preservers were responsible for the many "parallel
Earths" seen in TOS, whereas the aliens of "The Chase" have had a deeper
impact and are behind all the humanoid races and thus virtually all
Trek cultures.

Timo Saloniemi

Greg Krehbiel

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Thanks, one and all, for the info. I went down to the local Borders and
looked up the episode in the Star Trek Companion (or whatever it's called).

It seems (as is mentioned in this thread) that the race referred to in "The
Chase" cannot be the Preservers because of time differences (although time
can be dealt with in the Trek universe!). But there certainly are
similarities between the roles these two races play. Perhaps that could be
explored in a book. Perhaps, e.g., the Preservers accidentally wiped out the
other folk, and out of a sense of duty continued their mission (somewhat
like the beings who created "The Royale").

Possibilities are endless.

Greg