Kira creams Damar

Nelson Lu

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

In article <63j5h6$2tq$1...@new-news.cc.brandeis.edu>,
Robert Sekuler <sek...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu> wrote:
>In DS9's "Favor the Bold" Major Kira Nerys beat the living daylights
>out of that Cardassian creep Damar (Gul Dukat's henchman). Everyone in
>front of my tv cheered at the pulverization. Then we thought: "How did
>she manage that?" Damar had all the odds on his side, didn't he? Size,
>reach, protective clothing, etc. We admire Major Kira and rejoice in her
>repersonal victory, but can someone please explain her secret?

She had the element of surprise; he didn't expect her to dare to attack him.
Once she landed the first blow, Damar never got a chance to get the
initiative back.

Besides, size doesn't mean much if the smaller fighter is agile and strong.

Lynn

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

sek...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu (Robert Sekuler) wrote:

>In DS9's "Favor the Bold" Major Kira Nerys beat the living daylights
>out of that Cardassian creep Damar (Gul Dukat's henchman). Everyone in
>front of my tv cheered at the pulverization. Then we thought: "How did
>she manage that?" Damar had all the odds on his side, didn't he? Size,
>reach, protective clothing, etc. We admire Major Kira and rejoice in her
>repersonal victory, but can someone please explain her secret?
>

>Bob Sekuler

The element of Surprise?

Lynn

Robert Sekuler

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

Matthew Jeremy Blevins

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

Fighting isn't really that kind of equation- knowing -how- to
fight is way the hell more important than size or physical strength, and
believe me Kira (and just about everyone else on DS9) is a great fighter!
I knew for a fact that she would kick the shit out of Demar. And
-atttitude- is a big part of being a BAMF, too.

--
-Matthew Blevins

"Women. Once they know you respect them, it's all over..."

Brian Barjenbruch

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

> Elbows into the stomach can be effective

With that Cardassian armor? Kira must be stronger than she looks.

Brian

Vernon Rochon

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

Agreed. This scene was very well done by someone who doesn't confuse
fighting with boxing or wrestling (as does a LOT of people).

Vern R

Kok-Leong Chin

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

In article <63j5h6$2tq$1...@new-news.cc.brandeis.edu>,
Robert Sekuler <sek...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu> wrote:
>In DS9's "Favor the Bold" Major Kira Nerys beat the living daylights
>out of that Cardassian creep Damar (Gul Dukat's henchman). Everyone in
>front of my tv cheered at the pulverization. Then we thought: "How did
>she manage that?" Damar had all the odds on his side, didn't he? Size,
>reach, protective clothing, etc. We admire Major Kira and rejoice in her
>repersonal victory, but can someone please explain her secret?

Other than the element of surprise, I might remind you that she's
a former resistance fighter -- trained to fight tooth and nail.
(Nice of the writers to remember that.) And if have seen a few
martial arts demo's of smashing bricks, tiles, ice, wood, etc.
it doesn't seem too incredible.

--
| Kok-Leong | k o k l e o n g @ c s . i a s t a t e . e d u |
| Chin | http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~kokleong/ |

id2...@american.edu

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

n...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) wrote:

> In article <63j5h6$2tq$1...@new-news.cc.brandeis.edu>,
> Robert Sekuler <sek...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu> wrote:
> >In DS9's "Favor the Bold" Major Kira Nerys beat the living daylights
> >out of that Cardassian creep Damar (Gul Dukat's henchman). Everyone in
> >front of my tv cheered at the pulverization. Then we thought: "How did
> >she manage that?" Damar had all the odds on his side, didn't he? Size,
> >reach, protective clothing, etc. We admire Major Kira and rejoice in her
> >repersonal victory, but can someone please explain her secret?
>
> She had the element of surprise; he didn't expect her to dare to attack him.
> Once she landed the first blow, Damar never got a chance to get the
> initiative back.
>
> Besides, size doesn't mean much if the smaller fighter is agile and strong.

Besides, Damar knows that if he actually *hits* Kira, he'll have to
answer to none other than Dukat. Why do you all think Dukat hasn't
arrested the Major despite knowing (the man's not stupid) that *she's*
behind the new resistance? Kira *knows* she can do that to Damar and
just walk away. She *knows* Dukat won't touch her and she's not beyond
taking FULL advantage of the man's weakness for her. What does that
say about our "heroic" Major, hmm? I wonder.

Indrani.

A. LANGSDORF

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97
to Kok-Leong Chin

On 3 Nov 1997, Kok-Leong Chin wrote:

> In article <63j5h6$2tq$1...@new-news.cc.brandeis.edu>,
> Robert Sekuler <sek...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu> wrote:
> >In DS9's "Favor the Bold" Major Kira Nerys beat the living daylights
> >out of that Cardassian creep Damar (Gul Dukat's henchman). Everyone in
> >front of my tv cheered at the pulverization. Then we thought: "How did
> >she manage that?" Damar had all the odds on his side, didn't he? Size,
> >reach, protective clothing, etc. We admire Major Kira and rejoice in her
> >repersonal victory, but can someone please explain her secret?
> >

> Other than the element of surprise, I might remind you that she's
> a former resistance fighter -- trained to fight tooth and nail.
> (Nice of the writers to remember that.) And if have seen a few
> martial arts demo's of smashing bricks, tiles, ice, wood, etc.
> it doesn't seem too incredible.

Damar's big mistake was underestimating Kira (and trying this when she
*really* need to hit something). Even if you've got the reach and the
size over someone, if you don't respect the fact that they *can* hurt you
anyway they *are* going to hurt you, severely.

Also, Kira really needed to vent at that moment, and Damar just went about
trying to get Ziyal back all wrong.

I noticed that Dukat *automatically* assumed Damar was the one to provoke
the beating, (and was none too sympathetic <snerk>); anyone else find
themselves laughing at that?

Anne L

Darkwynd

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

tbol...@netonecom.alpha.net wrote:

> We don't know whether it is armour per se, or merely a cosmetically
> enhanced material. Everyone knows how big the Cardies on appearances.
>
> May all the harvesters rot in prison.
> To reply, delete ".alpha" from the address above.

Both Klingon and Cardassian armor (actually, any armor we've seen
in Trek) looks like it's made of some type of think leather or
vynl(sp?). It should be able to take most common punches. In
"Way of the Warrior," the Klingon armor didn't do a thing to
protect them from punches or bladed weapons.

But this is not just limited to Trek. Look at the stormtrooper
armor in Star Wars. One shot, one kill.

Oh well, it's in the script, it's in the show.

DARKWYND

Ed Tang

Nov 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/5/97

In a previous article, bri...@home.com (Brian Barjenbruch) says:

>> Elbows into the stomach can be effective
>
>With that Cardassian armor? Kira must be stronger than she looks.

It has been stated that most races in the universe, Bajorans included are
stronger than humans. Humans are one of the most physically weak races in
the universe according to Star Trek but humans have persistance and
ingenuity on their side and according to Star Trek, humans are one of the
smartest and potentially dangerous races despite their physical inferiority
to most races.

--
Ed Tang