Your Top Ten SF&F

bkt...@hamp.hampshire.edu

Sep 4, 1994, 2:23:27 AM9/4/94
Okiedoke. This is just my list as of right now ... I'm always getting
into different phases, and right now I'm real influenced by the fact that I'm
working on a hard sf story ...

Tastes : David Bowie and other "style-conscious" rock, good cyberpunk,
Larry Niven and other accessible hard sf, Swamp Thing, X-Files, Clive Barker.

In no particular order :

_Stranger in a Strange Land_ by Robert Heinlein
_Ringworld_ by Larry Niven
"Inconstant Moon" by Larry Niven (short fiction)
_When Gravity Fails_ by George Alec Effinger
_Snow Crash_ by Neal Stephenson
_The Stars My Destination_ by Alred Bester
"The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke (short fiction)
"Anatomy Lesson", Swamp Thing #21, by Alan Moore (comic book)
_The Hollow Earth_ by Rudy Rucker
_Fools_ by Pat Cadigan

Honorable Mention (ie, I can't limit myself to ten items):
"Three Septembers and a January", Sandman #31, by Neil Gaiman (comic book)
_The Great & Secret Show_ by Clive Barker
"The Soft Weapon" by Larry Niven (short fiction)
_Footfall_ by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (the penultimate alien invasion
novel -- I love all the Niven & Pournelle collaborations, but this is the
best)
"I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison (short fiction)

bill

Lynn McGuire

Jan 19, 2022, 5:49:31 PM1/19/22
1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber
2. "Citizen Of The Galaxy" by Robert Heinlein
3. "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein
4. "The Star Beast" by Robert Heinlein
5. "Shards Of Honor" by Lois McMaster Bujold
6. "Jumper" by Steven Gould
7. "Dies The Fire" by S. M. Stirling
8. "Emergence" by David Palmer
9. "The Tar-Aiym Krang" by Alan Dean Foster
10. "Under A Graveyard Sky" by John Ringo
11. "Live Free Or Die" by John Ringo
12. "Footfall" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
13. "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
14. "The Zero Stone" by Andre Norton
15. "Going Home" by A. American
16. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
17. "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline
18. "The Martian" by Andy Weir
19. "The Postman" by David Brin
20. "We Are Legion" by Dennis E. Taylor

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jan 19, 2022, 7:17:13 PM1/19/22
21. "Bitten" by Kelley Armstrong
22. "Moon Called" by Patrica Briggs

Lynn

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 20, 2022, 8:55:20 AM1/20/22
On 19/01/2022 16.49, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On Sunday, September 4, 1994 at 1:23:27 AM UTC-5, bkt...@hamp.hampshire.edu wrote:
>> Okiedoke. This is just my list as of right now ... I'm always getting

> 1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber

How on Earth are you following up on a twenty-eight year old post?
And why?

--
Michael F. Stemper
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jan 20, 2022, 9:27:07 AM1/20/22
In article <ssbpk4$3ol$1...@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 19/01/2022 16.49, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 4, 1994 at 1:23:27 AM UTC-5,
>bkt...@hamp.hampshire.edu wrote:
>>> Okiedoke. This is just my list as of right now ... I'm always getting
>
>> 1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber
>
>How on Earth are you following up on a twenty-eight year old post?
>And why?

Why not? I, for one, don't recall the responses from 28 years ago.
(Though I was here).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

The Horny Goat

Jan 20, 2022, 3:26:28 PM1/20/22
On 20 Jan 2022 14:27:02 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <ssbpk4$3ol$1...@dont-email.me>,
>Michael F. Stemper <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 19/01/2022 16.49, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> 1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber
>>
>>How on Earth are you following up on a twenty-eight year old post?
>>And why?
>>

>Why not? I, for one, don't recall the responses from 28 years ago.
>(Though I was here).

Ditto - though I DO remember some of the discussions on
soc.history.what-if but then I'm a history nerd

Lynn McGuire

Jan 20, 2022, 3:47:56 PM1/20/22
On 1/20/2022 7:55 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 19/01/2022 16.49, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 4, 1994 at 1:23:27 AM UTC-5,
>> bkt...@hamp.hampshire.edu wrote:
>>> Okiedoke. This is just my list as of right now ... I'm always getting
>
>> 1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber
>
> How on Earth are you following up on a twenty-eight year old post?
> And why?

Because I wanted to. I cannot find the posting on my top twenty that I
made several years (a decade ago) so I used this one.

https://groups.google.com/ has all of the postings for thousands of
group going back to the beginning.

Lynn

BCFD36

Jan 20, 2022, 3:59:43 PM1/20/22
On 1/20/22 05:55, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 19/01/2022 16.49, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 4, 1994 at 1:23:27 AM UTC-5,
>> bkt...@hamp.hampshire.edu wrote:
>>> Okiedoke. This is just my list as of right now ... I'm always getting
>
>> 1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber
>
> How on Earth are you following up on a twenty-eight year old post?
> And why?

Notice that I didn't ask this question, this time. Even Miss Dorothy
chastised me when I did it.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 20, 2022, 6:55:29 PM1/20/22
In article <sscifq$sd0$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>On 1/20/22 05:55, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> On 19/01/2022 16.49, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> 1. "Mutineer's Moon" by David Weber
>>
>> How on Earth are you following up on a twenty-eight year old post?
>> And why?
>>
>Notice that I didn't ask this question, this time. Even Miss Dorothy
>chastised me when I did it.

Um... I haven't been a "Miss" for fifty years. Mrs. or Ms., pick
one.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Robert Carnegie

Jan 21, 2022, 3:19:50 PM1/21/22
Your top ten? You have been spending too much time
with Dan Livingston.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 21, 2022, 4:10:54 PM1/21/22
Heh.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Sep 8, 2022, 9:54:38 PM9/8/22
On 1/19/2022 4:49 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
21. “Bitten” by Kelley Armstrong
22. “Moon Called” by Patrica Briggs
23. “Red Thunder” by John Varley

I need to add about 20 or 30 more.