SOT: Real Live Steampunk

Bill Gill

Jun 7, 2010, 9:15:19 AM6/7/10
I saw this yesterday and immediately realized that steampunk was
alive and well in the 70s.

Bill

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 7, 2010, 9:24:16 AM6/7/10
In article <yh6Pn.36593$rU6....@newsfe10.iad>,

Well, it's a lovely piece of gadgetry, but I don't think it
actually used steam.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Alex Markov

Jun 7, 2010, 10:42:42 AM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 3:24 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <yh6Pn.36593$rU6.2...@newsfe10.iad>,

> Bill Gill <billne...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >I saw this yesterday and immediately realized that steampunk was
> >alive and well in the 70s.
>
> >http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100606.html
>
> Well, it's a lovely piece of gadgetry, but I don't think it
> actually used steam.

or clockworks, or massive copper rivets...

noRm d. plumBeR

Jun 7, 2010, 11:20:09 AM6/7/10
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>In article <yh6Pn.36593$rU6....@newsfe10.iad>,
>Bill Gill <bill...@cox.net> wrote:
>>I saw this yesterday and immediately realized that steampunk was
>>alive and well in the 70s.
>>
>>http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100606.html
>
>Well, it's a lovely piece of gadgetry, but I don't think it
>actually used steam.

I especially like the little conical thing with the spiral decoration
(top left corner of the pic), I wonder what it's for. Maybe it's a
reindeer attractor, or a prototype of Galileo's helicoptor?

--
"Vengeance is mine" saith Montezuma

Bill Gill

Jun 7, 2010, 12:47:19 PM6/7/10
On 6/7/2010 8:24 AM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article<yh6Pn.36593$rU6....@newsfe10.iad>,
> Bill Gill<bill...@cox.net> wrote:
>> I saw this yesterday and immediately realized that steampunk was
>> alive and well in the 70s.
>>
>> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100606.html
>
> Well, it's a lovely piece of gadgetry, but I don't think it
> actually used steam.

It may not use steam, but it certainly looks like something out
of a steampunk story manga.

Bill

Anthony Frost

Jun 7, 2010, 12:37:40 PM6/7/10
In message <ld3q065udfbnncr3l...@4ax.com>

Rather more boring, low gain antenna for use when the high gain is
pointing the wrong way or stuck.

Anthony

noRm d. plumBeR

Jun 7, 2010, 12:56:24 PM6/7/10
Anthony Frost <Vu...@vulch.org> wrote:

Yeah, I was hoping it was a reindeer attractor. Thanks though.

Michael Grosberg

Jun 7, 2010, 12:58:29 PM6/7/10

Yeah, well, the Russians, very good with technology, industrial
design? not so much. It doesn't really remind me of steampunk - what
it does remind me of is that thingamajig E.T. put together from a
speakn'nspell, a gramophone, a fork and some other odds and ends to
contact his home planet. This one must have been made from a wash tub,
a couple of strollers and perhaps some bits taken from Willy Wonka's
chocolate factory.

Oh, and as for steampunk, it definitely existed as back as 1954.

Chris

Jun 7, 2010, 1:07:41 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 12:56 pm, "noRm d. plumBeR" <s...@money.com> wrote:
> Anthony Frost <Vu...@vulch.org> wrote:
> >In message <ld3q065udfbnncr3la8sl02pi8khj8k...@4ax.com>

> > > I especially like the little conical thing with the spiral decoration
> > > (top left corner of the pic), I wonder what it's for.  Maybe it's a
> > > reindeer attractor, or a prototype of Galileo's helicoptor?
>
> >Rather more boring, low gain antenna for use when the high gain is
> >pointing the wrong way or stuck.
>
> >        Anthony
>
> Yeah, I was hoping it was a reindeer attractor.  Thanks though.

I was rooting for a sno-cone maker.

Chris

Chris

Jun 7, 2010, 1:08:58 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 12:58 pm, Michael Grosberg <grosberg.mich...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 7, 4:15 pm, Bill Gill <billne...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > I saw this yesterday and immediately realized that steampunk was
> > alive and well in the 70s.
>
> >http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100606.html
>
> > Bill
>
> Yeah, well, the Russians, very good with technology, industrial
> design? not so much.

Hmmm. Designed to work for 90 days, and stayed operational for 11
months? Sounds like decent tech and design to me.

Chris

Michael Grosberg

Jun 7, 2010, 3:26:22 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 8:08 pm, Chris <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 12:58 pm, Michael Grosberg <grosberg.mich...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 7, 4:15 pm, Bill Gill <billne...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > > I saw this yesterday and immediately realized that steampunk was
> > > alive and well in the 70s.
>
> > >http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100606.html
>
> > > Bill
>
> > Yeah, well, the Russians, very good with technology, industrial
> > design? not so much.
>
> Hmmm. Designed to work for 90 days, and stayed operational for 11
> months? Sounds like decent tech and design to me.
>
> Chris

Industrial design is the part of product development that deals with
styling and appearance, and in case of products meant to be used by
humans, usability and ergonomics, but that's not the case here.
Industrial designers are not involved with the actual engineering.
Evidently, the Russians are not the only ones who pay little attention
to styling on their space gear - the American mars explorers didn't
look much better. But there was a tendency, in the early russian space
program designs, to favor spheres and other ovoid shapes over the more
boxlike (or in space capsules, conical) American designs.