Alternate Draka: Draka/Chtorr

Eric Oppen

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Recently, I was rereading _Drakon_ and happened to also be looking at GURPS
_War Against the Chtorr._ An interesting scenario popped into my mind...
It is the year 150 of the Final Society. _Homo Servus_ and _Homo
Drakensis_ have all but replaced _Homo Sapiens Sapiens_ on Earth; the last
biobombs and killsweeps are mopping up resistance in North America. The
war's scars are healing...
When, out of the blue sky, incurable plagues hit, striking indiscriminately
at servus, drakensis and archaic-human survivors. _Then,_ monsters appear.
Huge, man-eating worms. Incredibly-alien flora and fauna begin to crowd
out native Terran life.
All of a sudden, the Draka aren't going to be bored; not for a LONG time.
They know that their enemies on Alpha Centauri didn't do it; they don't
have the bio-skills to come up with anything this alien.

Also, another possible scenario would be the Chtorran invasion hitting
during the buildup to the Last War. That would be one of the very few
things that could have gotten the Alliance and the Domination working
together.

If It came down to a choice between the Chtorr and the Draka, my choice
would be:
"Service to the State; Glory to the Race." Nasty they may be, but compared
to the Chtorr, they're quite nice.
--
\|/ /\ \|/ |"Random action produces random political results...Why waste
\/ \/ | even a rock?"--Abbie Hoffman, in _Steal This Book_.

Joel Rosenberg

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

cc...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Eric Oppen) writes:

F. Paul Wilson's The Keep starts out to be something with that same
subtext -- who do you root for when it's the Nazis vs. Cthulhu? -- but
he complicated the plot rather than dealing with the problem he
raised.

Me, I'd love to see Steve Stirling take it on.
Joel Rosenberg | For news about upcoming books, | My opinions are mine.
jo...@winternet.com | finger jo...@winternet.com | Whose are yours?

Justin Fang

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

In article <588qgq$l...@alexander.ins.cwru.edu>,
Eric Oppen <cc...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu> wrote:

>Recently, I was rereading _Drakon_ and happened to also be looking at GURPS
>_War Against the Chtorr._ An interesting scenario popped into my mind...
>It is the year 150 of the Final Society.

[...when suddenly the Cthorrans arrive...]

Except that by time the Draka may very well have enough biotech to *win*. By
the time of _Drakon_, they almost certainly do. (Assuming there are no
technological Cthorrans, that is.) What's more, they can add all the nasty
Cthorran lifeforms to their genetic libraries...

>All of a sudden, the Draka aren't going to be bored; not for a LONG time.

I have this image of them hunting Cthorran gastropedes with stone weapons
for fun. Although I don't think that would work very well...

>Also, another possible scenario would be the Chtorran invasion hitting
>during the buildup to the Last War. That would be one of the very few
>things that could have gotten the Alliance and the Domination working
>together.

>If It came down to a choice between the Chtorr and the Draka, my choice
>would be:
>"Service to the State; Glory to the Race." Nasty they may be, but compared
>to the Chtorr, they're quite nice.

My preferred option would be to flee to space, and liberally nuke whoever or
whatever comes out on top if they still try to be annoying.

--
Justin Fang (jus...@ugcs.caltech.edu)
This space intentionally left blank.