Century Rain. Alistair Reynolds.

Titus G

Dec 8, 2022, 4:42:51 PM12/8/22
Century Rain. Alistair Reynolds.
This began with his usual brilliance developing into two fascinating
stories with murder, intrigue, interesting characters and multiple sub
plots, the stories told in alternate chapters, but once the mysteries
and histories were explained, I lost a lot of interest in the action
adventure that developed.
Three of five stars.

Jerry Brown

Dec 9, 2022, 3:16:09 AM12/9/22
I enjoyed it more than his Revelation Space series, which was epic but
too overly gloomy for me.

I liked the way he managed to what is effectively a
time-travel/alternate history story, but with no possibilty of pesky
paradoxes - <rot13>gur bgure Rnegu vf n cynarg fvmrq onpxhc gnxra va
(VVEP) gur 1930f ol haxabja nyvraf naq nyybjrq gb eha vgf bja pbhefr
jvgu punatrf (bs gur Anmv glcr)</rot13>.

I'd enjoy a sequel, as I would for several of Reynolds' non-RevSpace
books (Terminal City, House of the Sun, Pushing Ice).

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Titus G

Dec 9, 2022, 10:55:08 PM12/9/22
I loved the Revelation Space series especially Chasm City though
disappointed with the last book.
House of Suns was a brilliant read and I have yet to read any of his
other books. Next on my list of Reynolds to read is Pushing Ice which
seems to have consistently favourable reviews.

Default User

Dec 10, 2022, 2:24:58 AM12/10/22
Titus G wrote:

>I loved the Revelation Space series especially Chasm City though
>disappointed with the last book.
>House of Suns was a brilliant read and I have yet to read any of his
>other books. Next on my list of Reynolds to read is Pushing Ice which
>seems to have consistently favourable reviews.

Have you read the "Prefect" books? They are technically Revelation
Space, but narrowly-focused. They are set in the same system as Chasm
City, but before the Melding Plague.

I enjoyed the Revenger series.

Brian

Titus G

Dec 10, 2022, 9:59:06 PM12/10/22
No. Something to look forward to, thank you.

> I enjoyed the Revenger series.

Something else to look forward to, thank you.