Atlan #3 PR "Robot Threat: New York"

Don

Jan 15, 2022, 3:07:12 PM1/15/22
This translation of "Nr. 31 Der Kaiser von New York" was originally
skipped. After Ace's awful decision to kill its profitable PR paperback
publications, the Ackerman's gave "Der Kaiser" a second look, presumably
for the sake of completeness.

Captain Orlgans' thoughts betray him as his Springer ship
skirmishes with a New Power fleet in the Beta-Albireo system.
Saboteurs sent by Orlgans re-programmed Terra's robots.
Then, three Terranian destroyers do not return from a
patrol. And an auxiliary craft class spaceship vanishes. A
group of unknown ships land on Venus and a short time later
take off. An Arkon artifact, a positronicomputer on Venus,
surmises an unknown power from deep space has located Earth
and aims to avoid open conflict, for the time being.
Rhodan's forced to visit IT's elusive eternal elixir
emporium on the planet Wanderer to acquire advanced
armament. But Venus' positronicomputer needs a couple
of days to complete coordinate calculations of Wanderer's
current locus.
The first robot law is quite flexible. A robot may not
kill a human, unless it's a human enemy. So saboteur
software stipulates all humans on Earth are now enemies.

(excerpt, read the rest of my review at
<https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0031/index.php> )

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 18, 2022, 8:44:11 PM1/18/22
Are you reviewing this 1977 book ? "Robot Threat: New York and Pale
Country Pursuit (Perry Rhodan Special Release #3 & Atlan # 3)"

https://www.amazon.com/Robot-Threat-Country-Pursuit-Special/dp/0441661211/

I think that I own this book, I will need to check.

Lynn

Don

Jan 19, 2022, 11:18:09 AM1/19/22
> Are you reviewing this 1977 book ? "Robot Threat: New York and Pale
> Country Pursuit (Perry Rhodan Special Release #3 & Atlan # 3)"
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Robot-Threat-Country-Pursuit-Special/dp/0441661211/
>
> I think that I own this book, I will need to check.

Yes, my review covers Ace's "Robot Threat" translation. German Moewigs
serve as my primary index because sometimes translations skip over
original oeuvre.
For instance, the "Robot Threat" translation truly belongs between
"#23 Peril on Ice Planet" and "#24 Infinity Flight." Here's a list of
the pertinent stories, in publication order:

"Nr. 30 Tifflor, de Partisan" "#23 Peril on Ice Planet"
"Nr. 31 Der Kaiser von New York"
"Nr. 32 Ausflug in die Unendlichkeit" "#24 Infinity Flight"

The Ackermans published "Robot Threat," apparently as an afterthought,
after Ace announced its plans to kill off Ace's profitable PR
translations.

Shols wrote "Nr. 31 Der Kaiser von New York." It's one of four PR
installments written by Shols. This thread makes me aware of how the
Ackermans also initially skipped "Nr. 9 Hilfe für die Erde" by Shols,
then later released it as "The Wasp-Men Attack" in Atlan #1.

"Flight from Tarkihl" by Clark Darlton appears in Atlan #2:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?279996

"Flight" remains a bit of a mystery to me. isfdb implies it belongs to
"Atlan Zyklus 2."