Question

James Nicoll

May 6, 2011, 11:51:19 AM5/6/11
I can't post polls here but I can post the question: this one got some
interesting reactions over on More Words Deeper Hole:

Should the Hugo Committee try to make the Nebulas more inclusive?

The top two* choices were Yes: 22 and No: 29. Think carefully about
your response; as Batman once said, with great power comes great
responsibility.

James Nicoll
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
* in terms of page layout; another answer got more votes.

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

Lawrence Evans

May 6, 2011, 12:20:11 PM5/6/11
On 2011-05-06 11:51:19 -0400, James Nicoll said:

> I can't post polls here but I can post the question: this one got some
> interesting reactions over on More Words Deeper Hole:
>
> Should the Hugo Committee try to make the Nebulas more inclusive?

Why am I not seeing this on MWDH?

Michael Stemper

May 6, 2011, 1:00:49 PM5/6/11
In article <iq15dm$4r1$2...@reader1.panix.com>, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:

>I can't post polls here but I can post the question: this one got some
>interesting reactions over on More Words Deeper Hole:
>
>Should the Hugo Committee try to make the Nebulas more inclusive?

What does "more inclusive" mean in this context? I can think of a
few interpretations:
1. Include tech-thrillers and vampire-shaggers in the types of
works eligible
2. Require that a minimum fraction of each year's awards be given
to <class>.

Then again, I just re-read the precise wording of the question. It
might be amusing to watch them try to influence this.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

James Nicoll

May 6, 2011, 1:23:45 PM5/6/11
It was a while ago and many pages of lamentations about the outcome of
our recent elections (short version: quaddie will be happy with the outcome*)
are between the current page and that poll:

http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/3025560.html

* I will say that I was pleased to see Michael Ignatieff, noted torture
apologist, Iraq War proponent (his essay on why Iraq failed to meet the
glorious standards he set for it is very special - if only someone somewhere
had told him that Iraq is not homogenous he might have made a different
decision) and self-confessed American, go down in career-ending flames,
but I will be happier when he is driven from the country to live out
his final days naked in an unheated shack on Elba if at all possible.
Maybe toss in a King Lear or Oedepus thing as well; I am a reasonable
guy.

It's just a bit of a pity that the side effect was handing the country to
the Conservatives for four years. I have somewhat less sympathy for the
Liberals, now reduced to a small rump party; they chose to select him
as their leader and deserve every humiliation they got, and more.

BTW, this is our new Leader of the Opposition:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotteh/2939330287/

(Circa 1991 but it's authentic; he's the one in the red shirt)

Tim McDaniel

May 6, 2011, 1:26:29 PM5/6/11
In article <iq15dm$4r1$2...@reader1.panix.com>,

I too can't find the poll in a quick glance. ...
ah, <http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/3025560.html>

... ah, I didn't pick up on "Batman" until I saw "(I saw what you did
there.)".

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Szymon Sokół

May 6, 2011, 2:15:21 PM5/6/11
On Fri, 6 May 2011 17:23:45 +0000 (UTC), James Nicoll wrote:
[----]

> BTW, this is our new Leader of the Opposition:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotteh/2939330287/
>
> (Circa 1991 but it's authentic; he's the one in the red shirt)

So, you have elected Ensign Expendable to lead your Opposition...?
Just don't beam him down to any planetary surfaces.
--
Szymon Sokół (SS316-RIPE) -- Network Manager B
Computer Center, AGH - University of Science and Technology, Cracow, Poland O

James Nicoll

May 6, 2011, 2:30:19 PM5/6/11
In article <1c0evjde...@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>,

Szymon SokóŠ<szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl> wrote:
>On Fri, 6 May 2011 17:23:45 +0000 (UTC), James Nicoll wrote:
>[----]
>> BTW, this is our new Leader of the Opposition:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotteh/2939330287/
>>
>> (Circa 1991 but it's authentic; he's the one in the red shirt)
>
>So, you have elected Ensign Expendable to lead your Opposition...?

Yeah, major props to Jack to almost tripling the number of seats his
party had in Parliament while annihilating one party and perhaps mortally
wounding another in the process but from the ruling Conservative Party's
point of view, having a left-wing social democratic party, one whose
MPs are for the most part untried novices [1], must be nearly ideal.
I forsee a Red Scare the like of which we have not seen since people
used to shoot at Tim Buck.

1: The last minute surge was so unexpected one NDP candidate, assuming
she'd lose as usual, was off on holiday in Las Vegas when she won.

Lawrence Evans

May 6, 2011, 2:42:01 PM5/6/11
On 2011-05-06 13:23:45 -0400, James Nicoll said:

> In article <iq173r$au9$1...@dont-email.me>, Lawrence Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>> On 2011-05-06 11:51:19 -0400, James Nicoll said:
>>
>>> I can't post polls here but I can post the question: this one got some
>>> interesting reactions over on More Words Deeper Hole:
>>>
>>> Should the Hugo Committee try to make the Nebulas more inclusive?
>>
>> Why am I not seeing this on MWDH?
>>
> It was a while ago and many pages of lamentations about the outcome of
> our recent elections (short version: quaddie will be happy with the outcome*)
> are between the current page and that poll:
>
> http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/3025560.html

Ah. I backtracked a ways, but not far enough.

Greg Goss

May 6, 2011, 2:56:32 PM5/6/11
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>It's just a bit of a pity that the side effect was handing the country to
>the Conservatives for four years. I have somewhat less sympathy for the
>Liberals, now reduced to a small rump party; they chose to select him
>as their leader and deserve every humiliation they got, and more.

I fell the other way. My hatred for Harper led to my ability to
ignore Iggy's problems.

My only fear is that the Liberals will now hand the party to Rae for
another massive humiliation.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Butch Malahide

May 6, 2011, 3:09:30 PM5/6/11
On May 6, 10:51 am, jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> Should the Hugo Committee try to make the Nebulas more inclusive?

Displaying my vast ignorance and my incompetence at googling, what
*is* the Hugo Committee whereof you speak? (I assume it has nothing to
do with the human genome.) Is it a subcommittee of the Worldcon
Committee which supervises the voting for the Hugo Awards? But how
would they have any say over the Nebulas? I thought those were given
by a separate organization.

James Nicoll

May 6, 2011, 3:20:32 PM5/6/11
In article <92iujc...@mid.individual.net>,

Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>>It's just a bit of a pity that the side effect was handing the country to
>>the Conservatives for four years. I have somewhat less sympathy for the
>>Liberals, now reduced to a small rump party; they chose to select him
>>as their leader and deserve every humiliation they got, and more.
>
>I fell the other way. My hatred for Harper led to my ability to
>ignore Iggy's problems.

I loathe Harper but at least when he makes that hand clutchy gesture
and pulls the soul out of an innocent baby for later consumption, he's
being true to what he and his party stand for. Iggie tried to pose as
a humane alternative to Harper's values when in fact Iggie would admit
if pressed [1] that he and Harper agree on a lot of things. Conservatives
are supposed to oppose and destroy when possible every good thing in
existance so I cannot hold Harper's continual unrelenting undermining
of Canada against him.

Basically, at least Sauron is frank about being the Dark Lord; Saruman
tried to convince us he was really Gandalf.

Also, Harper takes in in-need cats.

>My only fear is that the Liberals will now hand the party to Rae for
>another massive humiliation.

That would make finishing the Liberals off and settling on a new unified
party to oppose the CPC (non-communist) faster, one electoral cycle instead
of two or three (assuming, of course, this is a PC in 1993 scenario and not
Liberals in 1984).

I think, however, Rae's record and the shellacking the Liberals just took
may lead people to lean towards Justin Trudeau, for the name-magic.

1: Or waterboarded or after being kept awake for a few months. I am not
some kind of option rejecting monster here and Iggie has supported the
use of coercive interrogation; not waterboarding him any time one meets
him is really an insult to him if you think about it.

Kurt Busiek

May 6, 2011, 3:26:58 PM5/6/11
On 2011-05-06 08:51:19 -0700, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> I can't post polls here but I can post the question: this one got some
> interesting reactions over on More Words Deeper Hole:
>
> Should the Hugo Committee try to make the Nebulas more inclusive?

Presuming they're SFWA members, if they want to recommend, nominate and
vote for choices they find more inclusive, they should up and do it.

I'll have nothing to do with it, though.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

James Nicoll

May 6, 2011, 4:03:19 PM5/6/11
In article <adb629bf-ef43-4260...@32g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,

You know, I think you're the first person to actually ask me about
the Hugo Committee. I think it's important to ask questions and
obtain necessary clarifications.

Raymond Daley

May 6, 2011, 6:15:52 PM5/6/11

"James Nicoll" <jdni...@panix.com> wrote in message

>as Batman once said, with great power comes great responsibility.

Actually its from Spiderman. Peters Uncle Ben says it to him.
But thanks for playing, you've been a great contestant but you go home with
nothing.

Kurt Busiek

May 6, 2011, 6:36:05 PM5/6/11
On 2011-05-06 15:15:52 -0700, "Raymond Daley"
<raymon...@ntlworld.com> said:

Nope. Reread the question. Carefully.

Maybe you'll get why it's Batman.

kdb

For that matter, Spider-Man has a hyphen in it. And while it was
retconned into something Uncle Ben said, it was originally just the
narrator.

Taki Kogoma

May 6, 2011, 7:48:47 PM5/6/11
On 2011-05-06, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
allegedly proclaimed to rec.arts.sf.written:

"With great power comes great responsibilty."
That's the catch-phrase of old uncle Ben.
If you missed it, don't worry. They'll say the line
Again and again and again.

-- Ode to a Superhero

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk (Known to some as Taki Kogoma) quirk @ swcp.com
Just an article detector on the Information Supercollider.

David DeLaney

May 7, 2011, 12:32:35 AM5/7/11
Taki Kogoma <qu...@tenma.swcp.com> wrote:
> "With great power comes great responsibilty."
> That's the catch-phrase of old uncle Ben.
> If you missed it, don't worry. They'll say the line
> Again and again and again.
>
> -- Ode to a Superhero

But, as my FIRST Buick Century taught me, with great weight comes great
traction.

Dave "...the second one isn't even the same SHAPE" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Michael A. Terrell

May 7, 2011, 4:10:03 AM5/7/11

David DeLaney wrote:

> Taki Kogoma ?qu...@tenma.swcp.com? wrote:
> ? "With great power comes great responsibilty."
> ? That's the catch-phrase of old uncle Ben.
> ? If you missed it, don't worry. They'll say the line
> ? Again and again and again.
> ?
> ? -- Ode to a Superhero

> But, as my FIRST Buick Century taught me, with great weight comes great
> traction.

A '63 Catalina convertible, and a 73 Chevy Stepvan were my two heavy
rides. The Chevy weighed over 3 tons, empty but it was a great work
vehicle.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Lonnie Clay

May 7, 2011, 4:16:27 AM5/7/11

A pregnant silence reigns over an IT workplace...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Robert Carnegie

May 7, 2011, 10:34:46 PM5/7/11
On May 6, 11:36 pm, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> wrote:
> On 2011-05-06 15:15:52 -0700, "Raymond Daley"
> <raymond.da...@ntlworld.com> said:
>
> > "James Nicoll" <jdnic...@panix.com> wrote in message

> >> as Batman once said, with great power comes great responsibility.
>
> > Actually its from Spiderman.  Peters Uncle Ben says it to him.
> > But thanks for playing, you've been a great contestant but you go home with
> > nothing.
>
> Nope. Reread the question. Carefully.
>
> Maybe you'll get why it's Batman.
>
> kdb
>
> For that matter, Spider-Man has a hyphen in it. And while it was
> retconned into something Uncle Ben said, it was originally just the
> narrator.

RD may have meant the movie, not AMAZING FANTASY #15.

Was the "great power/great responsibility" bit not the part that was
being attributed to Batman?

Batman doesn't have "great power", he just has more money than Warren
Worthington the Third, and the best gym that it can buy. I'm having
trouble categorising him in the "motivations to actually fight crime"
section of
<http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperHeroOrigin> - anyway
the article there on "responsibility" is mainly about not using your
superpower for personal gain, which wasn't what Spider-Man did wrong
and learned the very hard way: that's /failing/ to act responsibly as
a citizen for the collective good, specifically, performing citizen's
arrest on a criminal.

As for power, the Bat-Man does have the abilities (strength,
intelligence, knowledge) of a man, a physically fit, athletically
developed, intelligent adult, and that counts. I have some of those,
too.

I think Batman is what they describe as "The Cape", and they actually
say so: "The most important feature is these heroes adhere to a strict
code of honor and sense of authority; capes can be notoriously
inflexible" - Batman opposes crime in Gotham City, motivated by losing
his parents at an early age in a bad holdup. Maybe that's so firmly
Batman's origin that it /can't/ be a trope.

Apparently he's also "The Cowl" and "Bad Ass Normal", but either or
both of those aren't exactly motivations - well, "The Cowl" swoops in
on criminal acts at night and terrorises the criminal because they
perceive a need, I suppose. I don't recognise any of the individual
characters listed as "The Cowl" having another motive for pursuing
criminals, except for Angel out of Buffy, who had an agency, and of
course Astro City's Confessor, who ate them. :-)

Patriot of the Young Avengers attacked drug dealers handling the
temporary superpower-granting Mutant Growth Hormone, in order to use
it on himself. "MGH has been demonstrated to promote irascibility in
individuals" according to Wikipedia, although they don't mention you
by name...

Kurt Busiek

May 7, 2011, 11:06:02 PM5/7/11
On 2011-05-07 19:34:46 -0700, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> said:

> On May 6, 11:36 pm, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-05-06 15:15:52 -0700, "Raymond Daley"
>> <raymond.da...@ntlworld.com> said:
>>
>>> "James Nicoll" <jdnic...@panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Actually its from Spiderman.  Peters Uncle Ben says it to him.
>>> But thanks for playing, you've been a great contestant but you go home
>>> with nothing.
>>
>> Nope. Reread the question. Carefully.
>>
>> Maybe you'll get why it's Batman.
>>
>> kdb
>>
>> For that matter, Spider-Man has a hyphen in it. And while it was
>> retconned into something Uncle Ben said, it was originally just the
>> narrator.
>
> RD may have meant the movie, not AMAZING FANTASY #15.
>
> Was the "great power/great responsibility" bit not the part that was
> being attributed to Batman?
>
> Batman doesn't have "great power", he just has more money than Warren
> Worthington the Third, and the best gym that it can buy.

Read the original post. Think about it. Hard.

Heck, read the responses, you'll figure it out.

You'll feel foolish for having spent this much time "correcting" James,
but at least you'll have learned something.

kdb

j...@xmission.com

May 13, 2011, 1:16:09 AM5/13/11

There isn't really Hugo committee. Nominations come from fans, and the
most nominated works are voted on by fans. And fans do not choose the
Nebula awards, which are decided by the SFFWA.

Ahasuerus

May 13, 2011, 1:30:31 AM5/13/11
On May 6, 3:20 pm, jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote: [snip]

> 1: Or waterboarded or after being kept awake for a few months. I am not
> some kind of option rejecting monster here and Iggie has supported the
> use of coercive interrogation; not waterboarding him any time one meets
> him is really an insult to him if you think about it.

Hm. If the people who oppose waterboarding are in favor of
waterboarding those who support waterboarding, then what should the
people who oppose those who are against waterboarding do?

Robert Carnegie

May 13, 2011, 9:21:04 AM5/13/11
On May 8, 4:06 am, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> wrote:

You're overestimating my figuration. I need it spelled out. Please.
But I may end up pleading ignorance instead of foolery.

The original question of "Should the Hugo Committee try to make the
Nebulas more inclusive?" seems to me to - oh.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula_Award>

Well.

But they could still /try/, right?

So is it the /point/ that "great power, great responsibility" is the
motto of someone other than Batman?

You know, what /makes/ a joke clever is that some people don't get it.

Robert Carnegie

May 13, 2011, 9:24:13 AM5/13/11

I'm against waterboarding /without consent/. If it's what you're
into, which for several commentators it apparently is, then I will go
for it being not only permitted in their cases, but compulsory.

I shower-bathe, does that count?

David DeLaney

May 13, 2011, 4:57:37 PM5/13/11
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>The original question of "Should the Hugo Committee try to make the
>Nebulas more inclusive?" seems to me to - oh.
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula_Award>

<sfx: lightbulb type=fluorescent>

>So is it the /point/ that "great power, great responsibility" is the
>motto of someone other than Batman?

Why yes. Yes it is. One of the points, anyway. (Another point was James
doing an experiment to see how closely his commentors actually read his polls
before voting.)

>You know, what /makes/ a joke clever is that some people don't get it.

Dave "Some would say it's that it takes a bit of effort to figure out" DeLaney

Lonnie Clay

May 20, 2011, 8:54:43 PM5/20/11
to d...@vic.com

hehe Dave - Well go figure! What I figure is... She cuts a fine figure with her figure skating...
ahhh screw it, let's figure out something different. Figuratively speaking, were *ucked!

Lonnie Courtney Clay