"Duel on Syrtis", s.s. by Poul Anderson

a425couple

Jun 15, 2017, 7:18:56 PM6/15/17
The short story "Duel on Syrtis" by Poul Anderson,
written in 1951, is one of 8 short stories from his book
"Strangers from Earth". It is in my opinion, very interesting.
It had me quite interested and emotionally involved.

The alien native Martians were a protected species,
but rich Earth man Riordan really, really wanted one for
his trophy case and was quite sure he had figured out
how to hunt the toughest ever prey down and mount it.

from
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6458015-earthman-beware-and-others
is the narrative:
"DUEL ON SYRTIS
Although it was illegal to hunt Martians for sport, when one had a
enough money the laws could be circumvented. Riordan had the money now
he wanted the skin of Martian to hang on the wall of his trophy room. Of
course the Martian has other ideas."

-------------------
Seems like a real common & old topic,
where all have we seen it before this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game (1924)
"The story has been adapted numerous times, but most notably
for the 1932 RKO Pictures film The Most Dangerous Game, starring
Joel McCrea and Leslie Banks, and for a 1943 episode of the CBS
Radio series Suspense, starring Orson Welles."
'"The Most Dangerous Game" is a popular read within middle and high
school curriculums due to the strength of the themes within the story.'

Below are cut & pastes from that wiki --
A Game of Death (1945)
Run for the Sun, starring Richard Widmark, 1956
In 1961, the film Bloodlust!
Brian Trenchard-Smith's Turkey Shoot and its remake Turkey Shoot (2014)
Jean-Claude Van Damme thriller Hard Target (1993), was loosely based on
the same story.
In Surviving the Game (1994)-- the film stars Rutger Hauer, Ice-T, and
Charles S. Dutton.
In The Eliminator (2004),
The Pest (1997) is a comedic parody of the story,

Get Smart episode, "Island of the Darned"
This trope was used in the season 3 (1968), episode 22 of I Spy, "The
Name of the Game".
In the pilot episode of Fantasy Island, a big-game hunter comes to the
island to be hunted by a man, an interesting twist on the usual version
in which the hunted participates against his will.
In the Gilligan's Island episode "The Hunter", big-game hunter Jonathan
Kincaid (Rory Calhoun) turned his sights on Gilligan when he realized
there were no wild animals on the island.
In the series finale of Bonanza, entitled "The Hunter", a deranged
killer, Corporal Bill Tanner (Tom Skerritt), who was formerly a tracker
for the United States Army, hunts Little Joe (Michael Landon).
The Canadian series Relic Hunter had an episode called "Run Sydney Run"
that was very closely based on The Most Dangerous Game, with Peter
Stebbings acting as General Tsarlov.[citation needed]

also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Death_games_in_fiction

It sure seems on the edge of my memory that there was
a Star Trek episode on this. ??

Kevrob

Jun 15, 2017, 8:39:08 PM6/15/17
This trope also shows up in the comics: DC had a feature in the
1940s in ADVENTURE COMICS, "Paul Kirk, Manhunter,"* with a similarly named
character appearing a month earlier from Quality in POLICE COMICS.
When Joe Simon and Jack Kirby were handed the slot in ADVENTURE, they
replaced Paul Kirk with "Rick Nelson, big game hunter," who donned
superhero tights to "hunt the world's most dangerous game." Editors
morphed Nelson into Kirk, and that was the name used when the
character was spectacularly revived in the back pages of the 1970s
DETECTIVE COMICS, with sharp scripts by Archie ("Star Hawks") Goodwin
and innovative art by the young Walt Simonson. This version had
SF elements: cryogenic revival, a healing factor before the New X-men's
Wolverine, and more clones than you could shake a katar at.

The Spider-Man villain Kraven, the Hunter was also a big game hunter
turned manhunter, for the greater challenge.

Kevin R

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(comics)

Moriarty

Jun 15, 2017, 9:04:05 PM6/15/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 10:39:08 AM UTC+10, Kevrob wrote:
> On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 7:18:56 PM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
> > The short story "Duel on Syrtis" by Poul Anderson,
> > written in 1951, is one of 8 short stories from his book
> > "Strangers from Earth". It is in my opinion, very interesting.
> > It had me quite interested and emotionally involved.
> >
> > The alien native Martians were a protected species,
> > but rich Earth man Riordan really, really wanted one for
> > his trophy case and was quite sure he had figured out
> > how to hunt the toughest ever prey down and mount it.

<snip>

> This trope also shows up in the comics: DC had a feature in the
> 1940s in ADVENTURE COMICS, "Paul Kirk, Manhunter,"* with a similarly named
> character appearing a month earlier from Quality in POLICE COMICS.
> When Joe Simon and Jack Kirby were handed the slot in ADVENTURE, they
> replaced Paul Kirk with "Rick Nelson, big game hunter," who donned
> superhero tights to "hunt the world's most dangerous game." Editors
> morphed Nelson into Kirk, and that was the name used when the
> character was spectacularly revived in the back pages of the 1970s
> DETECTIVE COMICS, with sharp scripts by Archie ("Star Hawks") Goodwin
> and innovative art by the young Walt Simonson. This version had
> SF elements: cryogenic revival, a healing factor before the New X-men's
> Wolverine, and more clones than you could shake a katar at.
>
> The Spider-Man villain Kraven, the Hunter was also a big game hunter
> turned manhunter, for the greater challenge.

It was done slightly differently in the Batman - Judge Dredd crossover "The Ultimate Riddle". Batman, the Riddler and Judge Dredd find themselves locked up with various warriors from other worlds/dimensions etc. Emperor BigBadAss announces a game in which one of the captives will be chosen as prey and the others will hunt him down, the eventual killer of the quarry to go free and the remainder to die.

Batman is chosen as quarry. Dredd refuses to play. Hijinx ensue.

-Moriarty

Butch Malahide

Jun 15, 2017, 9:32:26 PM6/15/17
Don't forget the 1987 sci-fi film "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity".

Moriarty

Jun 16, 2017, 1:13:34 AM6/16/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 11:32:26 AM UTC+10, Butch Malahide wrote:

<snip>

> Don't forget the 1987 sci-fi film "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity".

That sounds like just the sort of film one should forget.

-Moriarty

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 16, 2017, 1:18:55 AM6/16/17
In article <08c80597-d7e4-4d47...@googlegroups.com>,
Explains Buzz Lightyear's motivation though.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

David Goldfarb

Jun 16, 2017, 2:45:04 AM6/16/17
In article <2ed92b88-3eca-4c91...@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>This trope also shows up in the comics: DC had a feature in the
>1940s in ADVENTURE COMICS, "Paul Kirk, Manhunter,"* with a similarly named
>character appearing a month earlier from Quality in POLICE COMICS.

In 1960s _Adventure Comics_, a futuristic big game hunter hunted
members of the Legion of Super-Heroes. When they bested him, he
killed himself, but his son later became a member of the Legion
of Super-Villains.

--
David Goldfarb |"It's okay to disagree with me. However, once I
goldf...@gmail.com |explain where you're wrong you're supposed to
|Congratulating me on how smart I am is optional."
| -- Karl Johanson

Butch Malahide

Jun 16, 2017, 3:18:19 AM6/16/17
Whatever. At least it passes the Bechdel test. I think that cartoon
would have been funnier if the punch line was "Last movie I was able
to watch was SLAVE GIRLS FROM BEYOND INFINITY."

alie...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2017, 3:43:10 AM6/16/17
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 4:18:56 PM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:

> -------------------
> Seems like a real common & old topic,
> where all have we seen it before this?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game (1924)
> "The story has been adapted numerous times,

In Junior High School (1964-1967) I read a book I was positive had that title, but apparently not unless the detail I remember was left out of the Wiki.

I recall a bit about swords with hooked tips, and hunter and prey practising with them before the hunt.

I wonder what it was?

Mark L. Fergerson

Robert Carnegie

Jun 16, 2017, 3:44:34 AM6/16/17
Somewhere between "Arena" and "The Gamesters of
Triskelion". Or maybe "The Cage". None quite
there.

_Ultimate X-Men_, the comic, had a
shown-on-reality-TV one. I think the villain was
"Arcade". Later, Arcade on Earth-616 did that.
In fact, the original version is what Arcade
/always/ does.

Also: <http://dilbert.com/strip/2012-06-27>
that I viewed recently.

Kevrob

Jun 16, 2017, 5:49:04 AM6/16/17
Mojo used the TV gimmick on the mutants, first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojo_(comics)

Betsy (Psylocke) Braddock got the camera/eyeball
treatment.

Kevin R

J. Clarke

Jun 16, 2017, 6:03:01 AM6/16/17
In article <51c0f76b-926e-4ad7...@googlegroups.com>,
alie...@gmail.com says...
The hooked swords sound like one of the Barsoom novels--I forget which.

Juho Julkunen

Jun 16, 2017, 8:36:28 AM6/16/17
In article <MPG.33ad76d09...@news.eternal-september.org>,
j.clark...@gmail.com says...
The yellow martians living on north pole had hooked swords, but they
hunted Barsoomian polar bears, not people. No doubt John Carter was on
the receiving end at some point, though. They're in _Warlord of Mars_.

--
Juho Julkunen

Scott Lurndal

Jun 16, 2017, 8:39:29 AM6/16/17
a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> writes:

>from
>http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6458015-earthman-beware-and-others
>is the narrative:
>"DUEL ON SYRTIS
>Although it was illegal to hunt Martians for sport, when one had a
>enough money the laws could be circumvented. Riordan had the money now
>he wanted the skin of Martian to hang on the wall of his trophy room. Of
>course the Martian has other ideas."
>
>-------------------
>Seems like a real common & old topic,
>where all have we seen it before this?

This trope plays a role in the first of Moon's Serrano books.

Juho Julkunen

Jun 16, 2017, 8:41:28 AM6/16/17
In article <orMMz...@kithrup.com>, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu says...

> In article <2ed92b88-3eca-4c91...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >This trope also shows up in the comics: DC had a feature in the
> >1940s in ADVENTURE COMICS, "Paul Kirk, Manhunter,"* with a similarly named
> >character appearing a month earlier from Quality in POLICE COMICS.
>
> In 1960s _Adventure Comics_, a futuristic big game hunter hunted
> members of the Legion of Super-Heroes. When they bested him, he
> killed himself, but his son later became a member of the Legion
> of Super-Villains.

The Spider-Man villain Kraven the Hunter was a big game hunter who
decided to cement his reputation by hunting a more dangerous prey. You
may guess who that was.

--
Juho Julkunen

Jerry Brown

Jun 16, 2017, 2:11:32 PM6/16/17
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:39:27 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
MZB's "Hunters of the Red Moon" comes to mind, as does its homage in
2000AD, "BlackHawk".

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 16, 2017, 2:25:29 PM6/16/17
In article <2i78kc9l3uh1thgbi...@jwbrown.co.uk>,
I remember reading a column from a TV insider (maybe Mark Evanier?)
saying something to the effect that "Every TV adventure show, if it
runs long enough, does a 'The Most Dangerous Game' episode". I think
he also had something similar for comedy shows, though I can't recall
what the trope was there.

Kevrob

Jun 16, 2017, 2:55:52 PM6/16/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 2:45:04 AM UTC-4, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <2ed92b88-3eca-4c91...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >This trope also shows up in the comics: DC had a feature in the
> >1940s in ADVENTURE COMICS, "Paul Kirk, Manhunter,"* with a similarly named
> >character appearing a month earlier from Quality in POLICE COMICS.
>
> In 1960s _Adventure Comics_, a futuristic big game hunter hunted
> members of the Legion of Super-Heroes. When they bested him, he
> killed himself, but his son later became a member of the Legion
> of Super-Villains.

ADVENTURE #358: Otto Orion

https://www.comics.org/issue/21091/cover/4/

Orion's son, Adam, son attempts his revenge against Chuck
(Bouncing Boy) Taine in

SUPERBOY #199

https://www.comics.org/issue/26853/

Don't laugh at BB. Duo Damsel dug him, which made him plenty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_(comics)

Kevin R

David Goldfarb

Jun 17, 2017, 10:15:03 PM6/17/17
In article <6f8ea63c-bce2-41c2...@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 2:45:04 AM UTC-4, David Goldfarb wrote:
>> In 1960s _Adventure Comics_, a futuristic big game hunter hunted
>> members of the Legion of Super-Heroes. When they bested him, he
>> killed himself, but his son later became a member of the Legion
>> of Super-Villains.
>
>ADVENTURE #358: Otto Orion
>
>https://www.comics.org/issue/21091/cover/4/
>
>Orion's son, Adam, son attempts his revenge against Chuck
>(Bouncing Boy) Taine in
>
>SUPERBOY #199

Right, and he also appeared as a minor player in the Levitz/Giffen
Legion of Super-Villains story -- you know, the one where Giffen got
to kill off Karate Kid for the first time. (He's gone on to do
it at least twice more, that I can recall.)

--
David Goldfarb | "Oh, death from on high. Neat."
goldf...@gmail.com | -- Tom Servo, Mystery Science Theater 3000

alie...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 2:37:25 AM6/18/17
No, it was set on Earth, and was very generally similar to the described TMDG, but the villain wasn't a Russian ex-officer though his name was... odd to me at the time.

I have a vague recollection the hunter was the father and the prey-to-be the son, but that may have been a mind game the hunter was playing.

Mark L. Fergerson

alie...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 3:04:50 AM6/18/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 12:44:34 AM UTC-7, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Friday, 16 June 2017 00:18:56 UTC+1, a425couple wrote:

> > The alien native Martians were a protected species,
> > but rich Earth man Riordan really, really wanted one for
> > his trophy case and was quite sure he had figured out
> > how to hunt the toughest ever prey down and mount it.

> > It sure seems on the edge of my memory that there was
> > a Star Trek episode on this. ??
>
> Somewhere between "Arena" and "The Gamesters of
> Triskelion". Or maybe "The Cage". None quite
> there.

DS9 and VOY had an entire species dedicated to hunting sophonts, the Hirogen. They appear in several episodes hunting various individuals and groups, taking trophies.

I can't think of a straight-up trophy hunt in TOS either.

Mark L. Fergerson

Robert Carnegie

Jun 18, 2017, 7:53:03 AM6/18/17
There are some more "predator on humans"
and "obsessive pursuit" stories in TOS.
"Wolf in the Fold" has a motivation somewhere
between psychological and biological necessity,
and an unpleasant accumulation of corpses.

In "The Man Trap", "That Which Survives",
"Spock's Brain", "The Lorelei Signal", and
most stories with Majel Barret in whichever
century, it's women pursuing men. ;-)
Scoring highest in the first two stories
named, I think... I don't know how many
kills Majel Barrett achieved??

a425couple

Jun 18, 2017, 1:44:59 PM6/18/17
On 6/15/2017 4:18 PM, a425couple wrote:
> The short story "Duel on Syrtis" by Poul Anderson,
> written in 1951, is one of 8 short stories from his book
> "Strangers from Earth". It is in my opinion, very interesting.
> It had me quite interested and emotionally involved.
>
> The alien native Martians were a protected species,
> but rich Earth man Riordan really, really wanted one for
> his trophy case and was quite sure he had figured out
> how to hunt the toughest ever prey down and mount it.

If anyone is interested in reading this story, or hearing
it read aloud, here is a youtube with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1vRiJfW_A
Duel on Syrtis by Poul Anderson
The 16th Cavern
Probably the only downside (but maybe not?) is, it's 50 minutes.