"The Thrall of Hypno (Perry Rhodan #20)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

Lynn McGuire

Dec 29, 2021, 5:36:54 PM12/29/21
"The Thrall of Hypno (Perry Rhodan #20)" by Clark Darlton, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Thrall-Hypno-Perry-Rhodan/dp/B0006WT706/

Book number twenty of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space opera
books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets, number
in the thousands. The English books started with two translated German
stories per book and transitioned to one story per book with the sixth
book. The German books were written from 1961 to present time, having
sold two billion copies and even recently been rebooted. I read the
well printed and well bound book published by Ace in 1972 that I had to
be very careful with due to age. My copy is a second edition from 1974.
I bought an almost complete box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago
on ebay that I am finally getting to since I lost my original Perry
Rhodans in The Great Flood of 1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book
#101, plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 27 of the German Pamphlets. There is
a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Im_Banne_des_Hypno

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of 500.

Perry Rhodan has run the mutant master from Earth to Mars. The mutant
master used the three New Power destroyers that the mutant master stole
to build a base and transport himself and several of his mutants. And,
the mutant master has a secret mutant who can breach force shields.

One has to remember that this book was written in German in 1962 and
translated to English in 1972. Many items that came about in the 1970s
and beyond such as cell phones are not reflected in the book. However,
commercial aircraft commonly traveling at Mach 3 are not available to
the public as talked about in the book. Niels Bohr's saying "Prediction
is very difficult, especially about the future" comes to mind.

Two observations:
1. The publisher should have put two to four of the translated stories
in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked out
well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would never
allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 3.6 out of 5 stars (3 reviews)

Lynn

Don

Dec 31, 2021, 5:29:31 PM12/31/21
Your voracious PR habit makes me feel fallen further behind than the
Ackermans. The linked review at the bottom is a re-work of a review
posted earlier. My formulaic PR review template finally gelled so the
old review was recast into it.
Although _Mutineer's Moon_'s siren song serenades me from my TBR
shelf, there's simply not enough time. For the time being, PR requires
all of my recreational reading time.

Ten earth years have passed since the crew led by US Space
Force Major Perry Rhodan made the first lunar landing in
history. Near the moon's north pole, a few dozen kilometers
into the dark side, the crew discovered a stranded alien
Arkonide vessel with technology centuries ahead of earth's.
They also discovered the Milky Way teems with intelligent,
space faring, and at times openly hostile, life.
Human mutants appear on earth as an unintended
consequence of atomic research. Many are now in league with
Rhodan's Third Power. But one mutant named Monterny, who can
hypnotize people on sight, bitterly resents Rhodan. Monterny
uses his unparalleled mental power to enthrall over a dozen
other mutants, including a bicephalous natural born bomb maker.
Monterny intends to smash the Third Power and become world
dictator.

(excerpt, read the rest of my review at
https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0027/index.php )

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Lynn McGuire

Dec 31, 2021, 5:34:58 PM12/31/21
As I mentioned, I think that Forry Ackerman made a horrible marketing
mistake when he dropped to one PR story per novel in book #6 and added a
bunch of other stuff. I don't care about the other stuff whatsoever. I
want more PR stories per book and I suspect that a lot of other people
did also.

Lynn

Will Dockery

Jan 19, 2022, 5:13:27 AM1/19/22
The double book concept was much better, and Ace would have made it to over 200 by the end, as well.

By the way, I have (heavily edited) letters in Perry Rhodan #32 and #43, Forry Ackerman mainly just excerpted blurbs from the letters.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 19, 2022, 2:00:10 PM1/19/22
I will try to remember that when I get back to PR. Maybe in the spring.

Lynn