Hugo Nomination Ballot Thoughts (short fiction), plus BOTY

Richard Horton

Feb 14, 2005, 9:33:45 PM2/14/05
Last year I tried to assemble a notional "Best of the Year" anthology
Table of Contents, assuming any publisher would indulge me in such a
fashion. And indulge is the right word! I'm doing it again this year.
I'll begin, though, by suggesting my Hugo Nomination ballot
possibilities, for short fiction.

Novella:
"Giliad", by Gregory Feeley (The First Heroes)
Mayflower II, by Stephen Baxter (PS Publishing)
"Under the Flag of Night", by Ian McDowell (Asimov's, March)
"Arabian Wine", by Gregory Feeley (Asimov's, April/May)
"The Wreck of the Godspeed", by James Patrick Kelly (Between Worlds)

Novelette:

Definite:
"The Voluntary State", by Christopher Rowe (Sci Fiction, 5/5/04) 13000
"The Third Party", by David Moles (Asimov's, September) 13600
"The Faery Handbag", by Kelly Link (The Faery Reel) 8100

Other Candidates:
"The People of Sand and Slag", by Paolo Bacigalupi (F&SF, February)
8000
"PeriAndry's Quest", by Stephen Baxter (Analog, June) 7500
"Quarry", by Peter Beagle (F&SF, May) 14300
"Biographical Notes to "A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with
Air-Planes" by Benjamin Rosenbaum", by Benjamin Rosenbaum (All-Star
Zeppelin Adventure Stories) 9300
"The Battle of York", by James Stoddard (F&SF, July) 8500
"The Gladiator's War: A Dialogue", by Lois Tilton (Asimov's, June)

Short Stories:

Definite:
"Opal Ball", by Robert Reed (F&SF, October/November) 2000
"Ten Sigmas", by Paul Melko (Talebones, Summer) 3000
"State Change", by Ken Liu (Polyphony 4) 5300

Other Candidates:
"Balance of Terror", by Albert E. Cowdrey (F&SF, August) 5600
"A Keeper", by Alan De Niro (Electric Velocipede, Spring) 4700
"Embers", by Rudi Dornemann (Realms of Fantasy, October) 6000
"All of Us Can Almost ...", by Carol Emshwiller (Sci Fiction, 11/3/04)
4200
"The Annals of Eelin-Ok", by Jeffrey Ford (The Faery Reel) 6200
"Dibs", by Brian Plante (Analog, April) 3600
"Being With Jimmy", by Aaron Schutz (Asimov's, December) 4700 words

OK, here's my proposed Dozois length (I'm using 350,000 words) Best of
the Year table of contents for 2004. As ever, I caveat it by noting
that I haven't had to deal with issues like acquisition that might
have caused other anthologists to not have their ideal TOC. (Though I
imagine they get pretty close.) I also haven't set them in any order.

The first list is SF plus Fantasy -- I follow it with additions in
each category for a supposed SF only and Fantasy only pair. And
finally a "Terry Carr"-length book (much shorter).

"Giliad", by Gregory Feeley (The First Heroes) 18000
Mayflower II, by Stephen Baxter (PS Publishing) 26000
"Under the Flag of Night", by Ian McDowell (Asimov's, March) 18000
"The Bad Hamburger", by Matthew Jarpe and Andrew Sheen (F&SF,
December) 18000
"The Wreck of the Godspeed", by James Patrick Kelly (Between Worlds)
24000
"The Voluntary State", by Christopher Rowe (Sci Fiction, 5/5/04) 13000
"The Third Party", by David Moles (Asimov's, September) 13600
"The Faery Handbag", by Kelly Link (The Faery Reel) 8100
"The People of Sand and Slag", by Paolo Bacigalupi (F&SF, February)
8000
"PeriAndry's Quest", by Stephen Baxter (Analog, June) 7500
"Quarry", by Peter Beagle (F&SF, May) 14300
"Biographical Notes to "A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with
Air-Planes" by Benjamin Rosenbaum", by Benjamin Rosenbaum (All-Star
Zeppelin Adventure Stories) 9300
"The Battle of York", by James Stoddard (F&SF, July) 8500
"The Gladiator's War: A Dialogue", by Lois Tilton (Asimov's, June)
14000
"Metal More Attractive", by Ysabeau S. Wilce (F&SF, February) 11600
"Leviathan Wept", by Daniel Abraham (Sci Fiction, 7/7/04) 8500
"The Clapping Hands of God", by Michael F. Flynn (Analog, July/August)
16500
"The Wings of Meister Wilhelm" by Theodora Goss (Polyphony 4) 10000
"Has Anyone Here Seen Kristie?", by John Grant (The Third Alternative,
Summer) 10000
"A Little Learning", by Matthew Hughes (F&SF, June) 11000
"The Soul Bottles", by Jay Lake (Leviathan 4: Cities) 9100
"In the Palace of Repose", by Holly Phillips (HPL's Magazine of
Horror, Summer) 9400
"The Lost Pilgrim", by Gene Wolfe (The First Heroes)9800
"Opal Ball", by Robert Reed (F&SF, October/November) 2000
"Ten Sigmas", by Paul Melko (Talebones, Summer) 3000
"State Change", by Ken Liu (Polyphony 4) 5300
"The Great Old Pumpkin", by John Aegard (Strange Horizons, 10/25/04)
2500
"Balance of Terror", by Albert E. Cowdrey (F&SF, August) 5600
"A Keeper", by Alan De Niro (Electric Velocipede, Spring) 4700
"Embers", by Rudi Dornemann (Realms of Fantasy, October) 6000
"All of Us Can Almost ...", by Carol Emshwiller (Sci Fiction, 11/3/04)
4200
"Women are Ugly", by Eliot Fintushel (Strange Horizons, 6/21/04) 6700
"The Annals of Eelin-Ok", by Jeffrey Ford (The Faery Reel) 6200
"The Seventh Daughter", by Bruce McAllister (F&SF, April) 1100
"Dibs", by Brian Plante (Analog, April) 3600
"Family Bed", by Kit Reed (Sci Fiction, 5/12/04) 4600
"Being With Jimmy", by Aaron Schutz (Asimov's, December) 4700 words
"Ool Athag", by Don Webb (Crossroads) 3500

That's 38 total stories, 5 novellas, 18 novelettes, 15 short stories.
Dozois only collects 28 stories, but more novellas (8) -- I think the
word counts are the same.

The next two lists attempt to split the stories between SF and
Fantasy. Here I make no claims for the correctness of my distinction
-- how I placed Gregory Feeley's "Giliad" in the SF category and his
"Arabian Wine" in the Fantasy category, for example, is not easy to
justify. "Giliad" has computers and "Arabian Wine" has a women
practicing magic -- is that enough?

So, SF only:

"Giliad", by Gregory Feeley (The First Heroes) 18000
Mayflower II, by Stephen Baxter (PS Publishing) 26000
"The Bad Hamburger", by Matthew Jarpe and Andrew Sheen (F&SF,
December) 18000
"The Wreck of the Godspeed", by James Patrick Kelly (Between Worlds)
24000
"The Garden", by Eleanor Arnason (Synergy SF) 19000 words
"Sergeant Chip", by Bradley Denton (F&SF, August) 19000 words
"The Voluntary State", by Christopher Rowe (Sci Fiction, 5/5/04) 13000
"The Third Party", by David Moles (Asimov's, September) 13600
"The People of Sand and Slag", by Paolo Bacigalupi (F&SF, February)
8000
"PeriAndry's Quest", by Stephen Baxter (Analog, June) 7500
"Biographical Notes to "A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with
Air-Planes" by Benjamin Rosenbaum", by Benjamin Rosenbaum (All-Star
Zeppelin Adventure Stories) 9300
"The Gladiator's War: A Dialogue", by Lois Tilton (Asimov's, June)
14000
"Leviathan Wept", by Daniel Abraham (Sci Fiction, 7/7/04) 8500
"The Gift", by L. Timmel Duchamp (Love's Body, Dancing in Time) 14700
"The Clapping Hands of God", by Michael F. Flynn (Analog, July/August)
16500
"Volunteers", by Alex Irvine (Sci Fiction, 7/28/04) 8500 words
"Men Are Trouble", by James Patrick Kelly (Asimov's, June) 17500 words
"Palace Resolution", by Tom Purdom (Microcosms) 8400
"A Plague of Life", by Robert Reed (Asimov's, March) 14400 words
"Revision", by Jason Stoddard (Strange Horizons, 9/13-9/20) 11700
"Opal Ball", by Robert Reed (F&SF, October/November) 2000
"Ten Sigmas", by Paul Melko (Talebones, Summer) 3000
"Balance of Terror", by Albert E. Cowdrey (F&SF, August) 5600
"A Keeper", by Alan De Niro (Electric Velocipede, Spring) 4700
"The Rose Egg", by Jay Lake (Postscripts, Spring) 6400
"All of Us Can Almost ...", by Carol Emshwiller (Sci Fiction, 11/3/04)
4200
"Gwendolyn is Happy to Serve You", by Eliot Fintushel (Asimov's, July)
6500
"Dibs", by Brian Plante (Analog, April) 3600
"Family Bed", by Kit Reed (Sci Fiction, 5/12/04) 4600
"Being With Jimmy", by Aaron Schutz (Asimov's, December) 4700 words
"Is You Is/Is You Ain't", by Michael Canfield (Futurismic, November)
4400
"7C", by Jason Roberts (McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing
Stories) 4700
"Night Waking", by Benjamin Rosenbaum (Flytrap, November) 800
"Start the Clock", by Benjamin Rosenbaum (F&SF, August) 6700
"A Wow Finish", by James Van Pelt (Amazing, November) 6500
"The Mutable Borders of Love", by Leslie What (Amazing, November) 4000

Here I indulge myself with three Benjamin Rosenbaum stories. The
totals: 6 novellas, 14 novelettes, 16 short stories, 36 total.

And the all-Fantasy book:

"Arabian Wine", by Gregory Feeley (Asimov's, April-May) 30000 words
"Under the Flag of Night", by Ian McDowell (Asimov's, March) 18000
words
"The Gorgon in the Cupboard", by Patricia A. McKillip (To Weave a Web
of Magic) 21000
"The Concrete Jungle", by Charles Stross (The Atrocity Archives) 24000
words
"They Are Girls, Green Girls", by Ian McDowell (Realms of Fantasy)
15500
"The Faery Handbag", by Kelly Link (The Faery Reel) 8100
"Quarry", by Peter Beagle (F&SF, May) 14300
"The Battle of York", by James Stoddard (F&SF, July) 8500
"Metal More Attractive", by Ysabeau S. Wilce (F&SF, February) 11600
"The Wings of Meister Wilhelm" by Theodora Goss (Polyphony 4) 10000
"Has Anyone Here Seen Kristie?", by John Grant (The Third Alternative,
Summer) 10000
"A Little Learning", by Matthew Hughes (F&SF, June) 11000
"The Soul Bottles", by Jay Lake (Leviathan 4: Cities) 9100
"Flat Diane", by Daniel Abraham (F&SF, October/November) 11000
"In the Palace of Repose", by Holly Phillips (HPL's Magazine of
Horror, Summer) 9400
"Pat Moore", by Tim Powers (Flights) 13600
"The Lost Pilgrim", by Gene Wolfe (The First Heroes) 9800
"The Man From Breakneck", by Larry Tritten (Amazing, December) 8000
words
"State Change", by Ken Liu (Polyphony 4) 5300
"The Great Old Pumpkin", by John Aegard (Strange Horizons, 10/25/04)
2500
"Embers", by Rudi Dornemann (Realms of Fantasy, October) 6000
"Women are Ugly", by Eliot Fintushel (Strange Horizons, 6/21/04) 6700
"The Annals of Eelin-Ok", by Jeffrey Ford (The Faery Reel) 6200
"Family Bed", by Kit Reed (Sci Fiction, 5/12/04) 4600
"Ool Athag", by Don Webb (Crossroads) 3500
"Alone in the House of Mims", by Barth Anderson (Strange Horizons,
4/26/04) 5500
"The Seventh Daughter", by Bruce McAllister (F&SF, April) 1100
"Five Irrational Histories", by David Moles (Rabid Transit: Petting
Zoo) 2900
"The Right God", by Richard Parks (Realms of Fantasy, August) 6000
"Charlie the Purple Giraffe is Acting Strangely", by David D. Levine
(Realms of Fantasy, June) 3300
"In a Glass Casket", by Tim Pratt (Realms of Fantasy, October) 5000
"Cold Fires", by M. Rickert (F&SF, October/November) 6200
"The World in Words", by Lane Robins (Fortean Bureau, November) 3900
"The Enchanted Trousseau", by Deborah Roggie (Lady Churchill's, June)
6500
"A Resurrection Artist", by Christopher Barzak (The Third Alternative,
Fall) 5000

Assuming I didn't lose count, this is 4 novellas, 14 novelettes, 17
short stories.

Now a "Terry Carr"-length volume -- disciplining myself to about
150,000 words, as with Carr's 70s Best of the Year collections:

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

John Pelan

Feb 14, 2005, 11:22:34 PM2/14/05
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:33:45 GMT, Richard Horton
<rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

LIST SNIPPED>>>

Okay, you caught the Reed story from F & SF (and good on ya for that),
but missed "The Growlimb" by Michael Shea?????

Cheers,

John

Richard Horton

Feb 15, 2005, 6:58:51 AM2/15/05
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:22:34 -0800, John Pelan <jpe...@qwest.net>
wrote:

>Okay, you caught the Reed story from F & SF (and good on ya for that),
>but missed "The Growlimb" by Michael Shea?????

It was on my list of good stories from F&SF, but didn't make my final
cut.

John Pelan

Feb 15, 2005, 8:45:40 AM2/15/05
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:58:51 GMT, Richard Horton
<rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:22:34 -0800, John Pelan <jpe...@qwest.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Okay, you caught the Reed story from F & SF (and good on ya for that),
>>but missed "The Growlimb" by Michael Shea?????
>>

>It was on my list of good stories from F&SF, but didn't make my final
>cut.

Hmmm. YMMV... It was the only story I recc'd for a Stoker this year...
By the way, did you get the Ash-Tree Press antho Acquainted with the
Night? Came out early December and is loaded with great stuff.

Cheers,

John

Niall Harrison

Feb 15, 2005, 9:25:07 AM2/15/05
Previously, on rec.arts.sf.written - Richard Horton wrote:

> Novella:
> "Giliad", by Gregory Feeley (The First Heroes)
> Mayflower II, by Stephen Baxter (PS Publishing)
> "Under the Flag of Night", by Ian McDowell (Asimov's, March)
> "Arabian Wine", by Gregory Feeley (Asimov's, April/May)
> "The Wreck of the Godspeed", by James Patrick Kelly (Between Worlds)

Hmm. Disagree pretty strongly about 'The Wreck of the Godspeed'; I thought
it was ok, but no better than that. On the other hand I thought Nancy
Kress 'Shiva In Shadow' from the same anthology was outstanding. Agree
about 'Arabian Wine' and 'Mayflower II'; haven't read 'Giliad'; and would
probably drop 'Under The Flag of Night' in favour of Stross' 'The Concrete
Jungle'.

> Novelette:

> Definite:
> "The Voluntary State", by Christopher Rowe (Sci Fiction, 5/5/04) 13000
> "The Third Party", by David Moles (Asimov's, September) 13600
> "The Faery Handbag", by Kelly Link (The Faery Reel) 8100

Strongly agree on the Rowe and the Link. I'm only lukewarm on the Moles.
The rest of my balloy would probably be one of Paolo Bacigalupi's stories,
'Periandry's Quest', 'Flat Diane' by Daniel Abraham and maybe 'The Fear
Gun' by Judith Berman.

> Short Stories:
>
> Definite:
> "Opal Ball", by Robert Reed (F&SF, October/November) 2000
> "Ten Sigmas", by Paul Melko (Talebones, Summer) 3000
> "State Change", by Ken Liu (Polyphony 4) 5300

The only one I've read of those three is 'State Change', and I didn't like
it enough to nominate. I'd probably go for 'The Annals of Eelin-Ok',
'Being With Jimmy', 'Tetrarchs' (I preferred it to 'A Keeper'), and then
it gets harder. M Rickert's 'Cold Fires', perhaps, or Jeff Vandermeer's
'Three Days In A Border Town', or Dale Bailey's 'The End of the World As
We Know It'.

> OK, here's my proposed Dozois length (I'm using 350,000 words) Best of
> the Year table of contents for 2004.

This is a fun game. Here's an SF plus Fantasy list for 350,000 words
(although I don't know many exact word counts; I'm going to count shorts
as 5k, novellettes as 12k and novellas as 25k).

Charles Stross, 'The Concrete Jungle'
Christopher Rowe, 'The Voluntary State'
Bruce Sterling, 'Luciferase'
Daniel Abraham, 'Flat Diane'
Zoran Zivkovic, 'Compartments'
Theodora Goss, 'The Wings of Master Wilhelm'
Chris Beckett, 'Tammy Pendant'
Nancy Kress, 'Shiva In Shadow'
Alan DeNiro, 'Tetrarchs'
Jeff Vandermeer, 'Three Days in a Border Town'
M Rickert, 'Cold Fires'
Daniel Kaysen, 'The Opposition'
Adam Roberts, 'Eleanor'
Robert Reed, 'A Plague of Life'
Peter F Hamilton, 'Footvote'
Gregory Feeley, 'Arabian Wine'
Gary Shockley, 'Of Imaginary Airships and Miniscule Matter'
David Moles, 'Five Irrational Histories'
Kelly Link, 'The Faery Handbag'
Judith Berman, 'The Fear Gun'
Aaron Schultz, 'Being With Jimmy'
Karen Fishler, 'Someone Else'
Kristine Kathryn Rusch, 'Collateral Damage'
Paolo Bacigalupi, 'The People of Sand and Slag'
M John Harrison, 'Tourism'
Jon Courtenay Grimwood, 'Point of No Return'
Dale Bailey, 'The End of the World as we Know it'
Stephen Baxter, 'Mayflower II'
Charles Stross and Cory Doctorow, 'The Rapture of the Nerds'
Jeffrey Ford, 'The Annals of Eelin-Ok'
Gene Wolfe, 'Pulp Cover'

6 novellas, 10 novellettes, 15 short stories.

For a 150k-word book:

Alan DeNiro, 'Tetrarchs'
Aaron Schultz, 'Being With Jimmy'
Nancy Kress, 'Shiva In Shadow'
Stephen Baxter, 'PeriAndry's Quest'
Christopher Rowe, 'The Voluntary State'
Daniel Abraham, 'Flat Diane'
David Moles, 'Five Irrational Histories'
Paolo Bacigalupi, 'The People of Sand and Slag'
Jeffrey Ford, 'The Annals of Eelin-Ok'
Jeff Vandermeer, 'Three Days in a Border Town'
Kelly Link, 'The Faery Handbag'
Bruce Sterling, 'Luciferase'
M Rickert, 'Cold Fires'
Gregory Feeley, 'Arabian Wine'
Gene Wolfe, 'Pulp Cover'

Niall

--
Verbing weirds language.

Richard Horton

Feb 15, 2005, 10:24:22 PM2/15/05
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:45:40 -0800, John Pelan <jpe...@qwest.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:58:51 GMT, Richard Horton
><rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:22:34 -0800, John Pelan <jpe...@qwest.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, you caught the Reed story from F & SF (and good on ya for that),
>>>but missed "The Growlimb" by Michael Shea?????
>>>

>>It was on my list of good stories from F&SF, but didn't make my final
>>cut.
>

>Hmmm. YMMV... It was the only story I recc'd for a Stoker this year...
>By the way, did you get the Ash-Tree Press antho Acquainted with the
>Night? Came out early December and is loaded with great stuff.

I haven't seen it. It does look interesting.

You do probably like horror a bit more than I do, which might account
for our differences of opinion re "The Growlimb" -- which I doubt are
severe differences -- I do think "The Growlimb" a fine story.

Richard Horton

Feb 15, 2005, 10:34:47 PM2/15/05
On 15 Feb 2005 14:25:07 GMT, Niall Harrison <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Previously, on rec.arts.sf.written - Richard Horton wrote:
>
>> Novella:
>> "Giliad", by Gregory Feeley (The First Heroes)
>> Mayflower II, by Stephen Baxter (PS Publishing)
>> "Under the Flag of Night", by Ian McDowell (Asimov's, March)
>> "Arabian Wine", by Gregory Feeley (Asimov's, April/May)
>> "The Wreck of the Godspeed", by James Patrick Kelly (Between Worlds)
>
>Hmm. Disagree pretty strongly about 'The Wreck of the Godspeed'; I thought
>it was ok, but no better than that. On the other hand I thought Nancy
>Kress 'Shiva In Shadow' from the same anthology was outstanding. Agree
>about 'Arabian Wine' and 'Mayflower II'; haven't read 'Giliad'; and would
>probably drop 'Under The Flag of Night' in favour of Stross' 'The Concrete
>Jungle'.

"The Wreck of the Godspeed" was a close choice among several including
"The Concrete Jungle", "The Bad Hamburger", "The Garden", "Sergeant
Chip" and "The Gorgon in the Cupboard".

Definitely a good list -- not one story I'd call bad on it. ( I
wouldn't include all of "The Rapture of the Nerds" simply on the
grounds that half of it appeared in Sci Fiction a couple of years ago,
and that all of it is like 40,000 words or something.) I don't
remember seeing "Point of No Return" -- where did it appear?

Niall Harrison

Feb 16, 2005, 7:44:52 AM2/16/05
Previously, on rec.arts.sf.written - Richard Horton wrote:

> Definitely a good list -- not one story I'd call bad on it.

Thanks.

> (I

> wouldn't include all of "The Rapture of the Nerds" simply on the
> grounds that half of it appeared in Sci Fiction a couple of years ago,
> and that all of it is like 40,000 words or something.)

I did wonder about that, but I really like the whole thing, so... :)

> I don't
> remember seeing "Point of No Return" -- where did it appear?

New Scientist, in the Christmas issue. It got enough nominations to make
the shortlist for the BSFA short fiction award, and can now be found
online here:

http://www.j-cg.co.uk/point.htm

(Other nominees: http://www.bsfa.co.uk/awards.html)

Niall

--
When memes collide.

Peter D. Tillman

Feb 16, 2005, 3:03:15 PM2/16/05
In article <dcdQd.30505$by5....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Novelette:
>
> Definite:
> "The Voluntary State", by Christopher Rowe (Sci Fiction, 5/5/04) 13000
> "The Third Party", by David Moles (Asimov's, September) 13600
> "The Faery Handbag", by Kelly Link (The Faery Reel) 8100
>
> Other Candidates:
> "The People of Sand and Slag", by Paolo Bacigalupi (F&SF, February)
> 8000
> "PeriAndry's Quest", by Stephen Baxter (Analog, June) 7500
> "Quarry", by Peter Beagle (F&SF, May) 14300
> "Biographical Notes to "A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with
> Air-Planes" by Benjamin Rosenbaum", by Benjamin Rosenbaum (All-Star
> Zeppelin Adventure Stories) 9300
> "The Battle of York", by James Stoddard (F&SF, July) 8500
> "The Gladiator's War: A Dialogue", by Lois Tilton (Asimov's, June)

As usual, I've read maybe a third of these. Well, 1/4 <G>. Do recall
being impressed with the Tilton, but the standout novellette of 2004 for
me was James Patrick Kelly, "Men Are Trouble" (Asimov's, 6-04).

Kelly notes he's had very good luck with his June Asimov's stories, of
which this is the 21st. This is another Kelley June winner.

Also in my "A" 2004 story list is Eileen Gunn & Leslie What, "Nirvana
High", first published in Gunn's new collection, Stable Strategies and
Others (2004). Don't recall its length, but likely a novelet.

Cheers -- Pete Tillman

Matt Hughes

Feb 16, 2005, 5:36:09 PM2/16/05
<rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>"A Little Learning", by Matthew Hughes (F&SF, June) 11000

Thank you for the nod, Rich.

For anyone who's interested, that was the first sf short story I ever
wrote, and the only reason I did so was because a fan named Nick
Andreychuk (aka Nick Aires) asked me to do something for a POD antho
he was putting together. Since then I've sold about a dozen to F&SF
and Asimov's and Night Shade is bringing out a collection in July.
All because Nick came along and gave me a nudge.

Matt Hughes
Read the first chapter of Black Brillion at
http://www.archonate.com/black-brillion

John Pelan

Feb 16, 2005, 11:19:57 PM2/16/05
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:24:22 GMT, Richard Horton
<rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:45:40 -0800, John Pelan <jpe...@qwest.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:58:51 GMT, Richard Horton
>><rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>>>It was on my list of good stories from F&SF, but didn't make my final
>>>cut.
>>

>>Hmmm. YMMV... It was the only story I recc'd for a Stoker this year...
>>By the way, did you get the Ash-Tree Press antho Acquainted with the
>>Night? Came out early December and is loaded with great stuff.
>
>I haven't seen it. It does look interesting.
>
>You do probably like horror a bit more than I do,

Well, it IS what I do for a living. ;-)

> which might account for our differences of opinion re "The Growlimb" -- which I doubt are
>severe differences -- I do think "The Growlimb" a fine story.

Indeed. I've always been of the Ferman mindset regarding editing; if
you don't toss at least one surprise at 'em, you haven't really done
your job. That's probably what I've always loved about the Magazine
of Fantasy & SF. Under Ed there was always a surprise in most every
issue, Gordon has maintained that tradition very nicely.

Cheers,

John