[tears] Atlan (Atlan, volume 3) by Jane Gaskell

James Nicoll

Sep 26, 2021, 9:20:58 AM9/26/21

Quadibloc

Sep 26, 2021, 12:14:01 PM9/26/21
On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:20:58 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> Atlan (Atlan, volume 3) by Jane Gaskell

> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/somewhere-after-midnight

It is an ill wind indeed that blows no good at all.

Perhaps this book might inspire some people, out of curiosity, to
investigate the works of _Elizabeth_ Gaskell?

John Savard

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 26, 2021, 2:40:02 PM9/26/21
In article <08afa507-5e12-4521...@googlegroups.com>,
I bought and read that trilogy, long ago; having read it, I
gaveit away.

Gaskell was first published at the age of (twelve? fourteen?),
with a sort of half-baked fantasy, but at her age it was not too
bad to get published. I don't remember whether I still have that
book or not (Chorus: cats in the fiction room....). Title,
_Strange Evil_, if anyone cares. The personification of Evil is
a Baby.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Quadibloc

Sep 27, 2021, 11:41:57 PM9/27/21
On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 12:40:02 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> I bought and read that trilogy, long ago; having read it, I
> gaveit away.

I can hardly blame you. Given James Nicoll's description,
it sounds like it barely qualifies as having entertainment
value.

I can't bring myself to describe providing an excuse to paint
a scantily-clad woman on its cover as a redeeming feature.

John Savard

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 28, 2021, 1:15:25 AM9/28/21
In article <f494d223-751e-490c...@googlegroups.com>,
The woman (hardly out of her teens, if memory serves) has all
sorts of bad things happen to her. I forget what happens in the
end.