David Weber's plans for the next 22 books ...

Lynn McGuire

Aug 29, 2022, 5:39:21 PM8/29/22
From David Weber's Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/pfbid02FjnvX56nzzcej5PLiPn6n4fy6KHygEm2LVihw38KXcGyYLAD1sDCSaQpLPoXWKuDl

"Um. I posted this as a comment in a conversation about unfinished
series and storylines that would probably never be completed on one of
the TRMN pages, and someone suggested I should make it more broadly
available, so …..
———-
Okay, I am looking to the future of the Honorverse and several of the
other series I have going. There almost certainly WILL be at least one,
and probably 2-3, more novels in the Honorverse, following END IN FIRE's
merger of the main series and the Crown of Slaves series. They won't be
written with ERIC (which i hate) but he and I always knew exactly where
the books were going, and they will go there. It is possible that the
collaborator I have in mind will also replace ME before the end of the
journey (as someone said, I am --- alas --- mortal, and I am one of
those writers who will never be "done"), but the end will be reached,
Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I will be wrapping the MANTICORE ASCENDANT
series in the next couple of books, at which point we will tie it off
with a bow. Jacob Holo and I will be writing the story of Edward
Saganami shortly. Joelle and I are working on the next MULTIVERSE/HELL'S
GATE book, and we know precisely where that series will ultimately end
up. I don't know that I'll be here to see the final book, but I know
what will be in it and I totally trust Joelle, Sharon, and Toni
Weisskopf to get the series there with quality writing. Richard Fox and
I have about 3 more books to bring Terrence Murphy's immediate story to
a close, though we may go a tiny bit farther than that. We are looking
at doing the second book in the Murphyverse later this fall/winter. It's
already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the
sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far
we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers
satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I
set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's
likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather
than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got
farther in the current book than we'd really expected. I need to sit
down with Jane Lindskold some time in the next couple of months and lay
out the writing outline for the next STAR KINGDOM novel. We are
envisioning three more in that series, too. I have at least two more
novels in SAFEHOLD (might be 3) at which point I will be at a thoroughly
satisfying stopping point. (Could go farther if I brought in the right
collaborator, but I don't think it's likely.) 3-4 more books in the
SWORD OF THE SOUTH series, and then that's done.
So, by my calculations, that's another 22 books I need to get written to
wrap up my current series plans.
I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago.
Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly
2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to
the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the
production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another
ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes
to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of
which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them
firmly in the existing universes going forward.
People, like the characters in Richard Adams' PLAGUE DOGS, I'll probably
still be writing "when the dark comes down." That means, obviously, that
I won't be "finished" when I leave, but don't go around thinking that
you're getting rid of me next week!
Just saying."

Amazing plans.

Lynn

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 30, 2022, 12:41:10 AM8/30/22
In article <tejbm3$18gco$1...@dont-email.me>,
>I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago.
>Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
>production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly
>2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
>I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to
>the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the
>production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another
>ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
>with mortality) seems entirely plausible.

(Hal Heydt)
Not in the same league in terms of either popularity or volume,
but Dorothy was still writing at 80, including her final piece 6
days before she died. (There are several 3-ring binders in the
house with either WIPs or finished but unsold works.)

Lynn McGuire

Aug 30, 2022, 12:57:40 AM8/30/22
David Weber says that he has sold over eight million books to date and I
do not doubt it. He is at 45 ? 48 ? books published now. Very, very
popular. Most science fiction with a few fantasy books thrown in.

I just gave my wife James Patterson's new autobiography. He claims to
have 30+ works in progress at any given moment. And he writes them out
in longhand on pads. By the time he hit the fifth rewrite, he is done.
300 million copies sold.

Lynn

Scott Lurndal

Aug 30, 2022, 9:14:59 AM8/30/22
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
>On 8/29/2022 11:34 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <tejbm3$18gco$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From David Weber's Facebook:
>>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/pfbid02FjnvX56nzzcej5PLiPn6n4fy6KHygEm2LVihw38KXcGyYLAD1sDCSaQpLPoXWKuDl
>>>
>>> I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago.
>>> Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
>>> production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly
>>> 2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
>>> I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to
>>> the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the
>>> production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another
>>> ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
>>> with mortality) seems entirely plausible.
>>
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> Not in the same league in terms of either popularity or volume,
>> but Dorothy was still writing at 80, including her final piece 6
>> days before she died. (There are several 3-ring binders in the
>> house with either WIPs or finished but unsold works.)
>
>David Weber says that he has sold over eight million books to date and I
>do not doubt it. He is at 45 ? 48 ? books published now. Very, very
>popular. Most science fiction with a few fantasy books thrown in.

"Very Very popular" is Steven King and James Patterson (350 & 275 million books sold each),
or Bill Shakespeare (4 billion), or Spock's favorite Harold Robbins (700 million).

Jack Bohn

Aug 30, 2022, 10:29:36 AM8/30/22
>> I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago.
> Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
> production) 74 solo and collaborative novels,
> And let's assume that I write for another
> ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
> with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes
> to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of
> which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them
> firmly in the existing universes going forward.

74 published or in the pipeline, a prospect of 25 more, with a firm idea of 22 of them. Is he teasing by suggesting juuuuuust under a hundred novels?

--
-Jack

Lynn McGuire

Aug 30, 2022, 1:08:00 PM8/30/22
You forgot J. K. Rowling. 1.2 billion books sold IIRC.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Aug 30, 2022, 1:12:07 PM8/30/22
Nope, he is being serious. And most of those books have coauthors who
are way younger than him.

Lots of people continuously ask him on Facebook about book status since
he has friended around 800 of us. The Prince Roger books are very
popular for more. I asked him once about more Dahak sequels and he said
that he actually has a plan but no time.

Lynn

Tony Nance

Aug 30, 2022, 3:40:15 PM8/30/22
On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 1:12:07 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 8/30/2022 9:29 AM, Jack Bohn wrote:
> > Among the things Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> From David Weber's Facebook:
> >>
> >> https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/pfbid02FjnvX56nzzcej5PLiPn6n4fy6KHygEm2LVihw38KXcGyYLAD1sDCSaQpLPoXWKuDl

> >> Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
> >> production) 74 solo and collaborative novels,
> >> And let's assume that I write for another
> >> ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
> >> with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes
> >> to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of
> >> which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them
> >> firmly in the existing universes going forward.
> >
> > 74 published or in the pipeline, a prospect of 25 more, with a firm idea of 22 of them. Is he teasing by suggesting juuuuuust under a hundred novels?
>
> Nope, he is being serious. And most of those books have coauthors who
> are way younger than him.

I think Jack was aiming at the total being 99 - as in, Shirley he'd make it 100?
- Tony