Etymology of "ansible"

Dave Goldman

Apr 7, 2001, 3:53:14 PM4/7/01
A few years ago there was some discussion here of where Ursula Le Guin got
the name "ansible" for her instantaneous communication device.

Well, I've just started a writing workshop from Ms. Le Guin, so I asked her.

(I've been away for a while, so I hope this message isn't redundant.)

- Dave Goldman
Portland, OR

P.S. She was amused to learn that "ansible" is an anagram of "lesbian".

---------------------------------
SPOILER ALERT

DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU PREFER
ROMANTIC OR DEEPLY LINGUISTIC
ETYMOLOGICAL THEORIES!
---------------------------------

Turns out that she derived "ansible" from "answerable".

Mark A. Mandel

Apr 9, 2001, 9:59:33 PM4/9/01
I don't usually read rasfw, but Paul Ciszek forwarded Dave's post to me --
thanks, Paul! And when I read it I started jumping up and down in my chair
(which began to creak ominously) shrieking "I was right! I was right! I
was right!"

And funnily enough, I was discussing this just last week with a co-worker
whom I have recently discovered to be a fellow fan.

-- Mark A. Mandel :-D\
http://world.std.com/~mam/

Dave Goldman <da...@rsd-erase-this-bit.com> wrote:
: ---------------------------------

: SPOILER ALERT
:
: DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU PREFER
: ROMANTIC OR DEEPLY LINGUISTIC
: ETYMOLOGICAL THEORIES!

: Turns out that she derived "ansible" from "answerable".

(Mark here again.) Because it enables you to get an answer in a reasonable
time, like your lifetime: you can send an answerable message.

-- Mark A. Mandel
FIJAGH! Now, *filking*, on the other hand...
http://world.std.com/~mam/filk.html

--
To reply by email, remove the obvious spam-blocker from my edress.