[Special Request] Making History by Stephen Fry

James Nicoll

Jul 9, 2019, 3:59:40 PM7/9/19

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 9, 2019, 9:45:02 PM7/9/19
In article <qg2rn9$i1j$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>Making History by Stephen Fry
>
>https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me

Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

James Nicoll

Jul 10, 2019, 9:36:52 AM7/10/19
In article <puEKI...@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <qg2rn9$i1j$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>Making History by Stephen Fry
>>
>>https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
>>

>Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
>Thompson.

Hmmm.

Making History is

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me

Rosewater is

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me

Similar but not quite the same....

David Johnston

Jul 10, 2019, 11:17:54 AM7/10/19
On 2019-07-10 7:36 a.m., James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <puEKI...@kithrup.com>,
> Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>> In article <qg2rn9$i1j$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>> James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Making History by Stephen Fry
>>>
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
>>>

>> Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
>> Thompson.
>>
> Hmmm.
>
> Making History is
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
>
> Rosewater is
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me
>
> Similar but not quite the same....

Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.

Martin

Jul 10, 2019, 12:28:54 PM7/10/19

Robert Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019, 2:16:39 PM7/10/19
There's an argument that the provisions of the
Treaty of Versailles basically caused the trouble.
You could also look at the Russian Revolution.

Can someone produce the SMBC cartoon where a time
traveller removed the criminal-against-humanity of
their own history, which meant we got Hitler?

Neither that nor Stephen Fry's novel are hard
science fiction, of course. Instead they propose
that putting the world right is not as simple as
you think. Or someone would do it /without/
a time machine.

See also _Star Trek Into Darkness_ which was on TV
the other night.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 10, 2019, 2:30:02 PM7/10/19
In article <qg4vit$ig2$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
>a worse world.

Time for me to link

https://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

again.

Juho Julkunen

Jul 10, 2019, 3:22:02 PM7/10/19
In article <119c3fc4-9cfa-4301...@googlegroups.com>,
rja.ca...@excite.com says...

> On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 16:17:54 UTC+1, David Johnston wrote:
> > On 2019-07-10 7:36 a.m., James Nicoll wrote:

> > > Hmmm.
> > >
> > > Making History is
> > >
> > > https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
> > >
> > > Rosewater is
> > >
> > > https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me
> > >
> > > Similar but not quite the same....
> > >

> > Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
> > a worse world.
>
> There's an argument that the provisions of the
> Treaty of Versailles basically caused the trouble.
> You could also look at the Russian Revolution.
>
> Can someone produce the SMBC cartoon where a time
> traveller removed the criminal-against-humanity of
> their own history, which meant we got Hitler?

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2013-03-19

I thought finding it was as easy as searching for "smbc" and "hitler",
but it turned out not to be:

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/killing-hitler

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2014-02-12

--
Juho Julkunen

Peter Trei

Jul 10, 2019, 3:42:59 PM7/10/19
I liked this version:

http://www.viruscomix.com/page382.html

pt

Kevrob

Jul 10, 2019, 4:34:47 PM7/10/19
Alternate strategy: bribe the admissions officers of Vienna's
Academy of Fine tys to let Hitler in. Bribe his instructors
to give him good grades. When he has an exhibit, use stooges
to buy his paintings.

Let it slip that his "scholarship" was funded by Jewish philanthropists. :)

Not quite as good as making an ex-pat SF writer out of him,
but it might work. :)

Kevin R

Juho Julkunen

Jul 10, 2019, 7:23:17 PM7/10/19
In article <b2332a06-9295-4775...@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com says...
Yeah, that's a fun one. Somebody is having a "are we the baddies?"
moment.

--
Juho Julkunen

Juho Julkunen

Jul 10, 2019, 7:25:37 PM7/10/19
In article <097f295c-4c37-4c0e...@googlegroups.com>,
kev...@my-deja.com says...
The last one seems like a misstep.

Also: "tys"?

--
Juho Julkunen

William Hyde

Jul 10, 2019, 7:36:27 PM7/10/19
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 11:17:54 AM UTC-4, David Johnston wrote:
Spoiler space for Saberhagen's "A century of progress"

Hitler is killed in Chicago in 1933. We don't see what happens next, but the people responsible have killed Hitler before, in other timelines. They probably wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work.

William Hyde

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 10, 2019, 9:10:25 PM7/10/19
In article <097f295c-4c37-4c0e...@googlegroups.com>,
I've already linked to "Wikihistory," so I won't again.

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 10, 2019, 9:31:06 PM7/10/19
Or they keep doing it because they figure they've GOT to get it right
eventually.

instinct are running screaming.

David Goldfarb

Jul 11, 2019, 1:10:24 AM7/11/19
In article <MPG.3790a074e...@news.kolumbus.fi>,
Juho Julkunen <giao...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Also: "tys"?

Take the word "Arts". Drop off the first letter and it becomes
"rts". Take the first two letters and move them over one key on
the keyboard to the right, and rt becomes ty. "tys".

--
David Goldfarb | Nunc, Pince, tibi nocendus sum.
goldf...@gmail.com |

Kevrob

Jul 11, 2019, 2:07:58 AM7/11/19
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 1:10:24 AM UTC-4, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <MPG.3790a074e...@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> Juho Julkunen <giao...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Also: "tys"?
>
> Take the word "Arts". Drop off the first letter and it becomes
> "rts". Take the first two letters and move them over one key on
> the keyboard to the right, and rt becomes ty. "tys".

M$ was forcing through updates and causing my browser to misbehave,
and I MEGOed the typo. Good catch.

Kevin R

Gene Wirchenko

Jul 11, 2019, 4:21:01 PM7/11/19
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 02:23:21 +0300, Juho Julkunen
<giao...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <b2332a06-9295-4775...@googlegroups.com>,
>pete...@gmail.com says...

[snip]

>> I liked this version:
>>
>> http://www.viruscomix.com/page382.html
>
>Yeah, that's a fun one. Somebody is having a "are we the baddies?"
>moment.

That is the best killing-Hitler strip I have seen. You tying it
in with "Are We the Baddies?" is just golden.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

William Hyde

Jul 11, 2019, 5:05:20 PM7/11/19
IIRC the last line is:

"One more timeline without Hitler".

William Hyde

andrew...@msn.com

Jul 11, 2019, 6:23:47 PM7/11/19
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 11:17:54 AM UTC-4, David Johnston wrote:

> Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
> a worse world.

If I recall correctly that happens in Lawrence Watt-Evans' "The Murderer."

Leif Roar Moldskred

Jul 12, 2019, 4:58:47 PM7/12/19
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Alternate strategy: bribe the admissions officers of Vienna's
> Academy of Fine tys to let Hitler in. Bribe his instructors
> to give him good grades. When he has an exhibit, use stooges
> to buy his paintings.
>
> Let it slip that his "scholarship" was funded by Jewish philanthropists. :)
>
> Not quite as good as making an ex-pat SF writer out of him,
> but it might work. :)

Haring off on that tangent, which persons from our history have been
"de-Hitlerified" in similar manners? Hemingway, of course, but who
else?

(I'm also reminded of the "Alternate Warriors" anthology edited by
Mike Resnick.)

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

Kevrob

Jul 12, 2019, 6:42:20 PM7/12/19
I'm thinking of Niven's "The Return of William Proxmire."

Kevin R

David DeLaney

Jul 16, 2019, 8:57:04 AM7/16/19
On 2019-07-11, Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> I've already linked to "Wikihistory," so I won't again.

... it might have changed since you linked last!

Dave, hutp://, hyper-universe transport protocol