TLDV Bibliography

John M. Gamble

Aug 17, 2005, 6:40:01 AM8/17/05
As many of you know, the anthology *The Last Dangerous Visions* was to
be the final volume of original stories that began with *Dangerous
Visions*. Unfortunately, this has not happened yet. Thanks to letters
published in The Alien Critic and Locus, and to comments in other
sources, we have a good idea as to what the volume could be, or could
have been.

My friend Roger has done extensive research on the contents of the book,
including a search for the stories that have been published elsewhere
over the years. The following list is as complete as he has been able
to make it, but if anyone has any additions or corrections, we would
appreciate hearing from you.

The format of the listing is:

Author Name
"Story Title" (word count}
Source for Listing {abbreviations foot-noted below}.
Comment for listing {optional}.
Alternate Publications {also optional}.

Note: One title involves the square root sign, which is difficult to
represent in this format. I've rendered it as the HTML character
entity &#8730, which is bad, but not as bad as all of the other
choices. All I can say is, please read &#8730 -1 as "square root of
negative one."

A final note: Many people nowadays cannot mention TLDV without
sputtering a little. This post is not meant to incite them. It's
hard not to have an opinion on the matter, but the following list
is not meant to fuel those flames. It is meant only to serve as a
reference for what was a publishing phenomenon, and to ask for
corrections. This may be a hopeless request, but please don't
respond if you only want to talk about due dates. Thank you.

THE LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS BIBLIOGRAPHY

Russell Bates
"Search Cycle: Beginning and Ending"
"1. The Last Quest" (2250)"
"2. Fifth and Last Horseman" (5000)"
AC7, L222
AC7 had the 5000 word count as the total.

Alfred Bester
"Emerging Nation" (2000)
AC7, L222

Steven Bryan Bieler
"Where Are They Now?"
Author's e-mail.
Sold to TLDV Sept 1984, withdrawn April 1988

Michael Bishop
"Dogs' Lives" (6000)
AC7, L222
The Missouri Review, volume 7, #2, 1984;
Best American Short Stories: 1986;
Nebula Awards 20

Nelson S. Bond
"Pipeline to Paradise" (5000)
L222
The Far Side of Nowhere, 2002

Anthony Boucher
"Precis of the Rappacini Report" (850)
AC7, L222
As "Rappacini's Other Daughter", The Compleat Boucher, NESFA 1999

Leigh Brackett
see Edmond Hamilton

Mildred Downey Broxon
"The Danaan Children Laugh" (5300)
AC7, L222

Edward Bryant
"War Stories" (10000)
AC7, L222

Frank Bryning
"The Accidents of Blood" (5500)
AC7, L222

Doris Pitkin Buck
"Cacophony in Pink and Ochre" (5500)
AC7, L222

Algis Budrys
"Living Alone in the Jungle" (1352)
L222
Spec-Lit #1, 1997

Octavia E. Butler
"Childfinder" (3250)
AC7, L222

Orson Scott Card
"Geriatric Ward" (7000)
L222

Grant Carrington
"In A Spaceship, Maybe" (3800)
AC7, L222

Delbert Casada
"The Bing Bang Blues" (2000)
AC7, L222

A. Bertram Chandler
"The True Believers" (7000)
AC7, L222

Graham Charnock
"The Burning Zone" (6000)
AC7, L222

John Christopher
"A Journey South" (21500)
AC7, L222
Interzone, Feb 1991;
Infinity Plus website, December 2000

William E. Cochrane
"Cargo Run" (18800)
AC7, L222
The story is listed in AC7 under the author's pseudonym S. Kye Boult.

Michael G. Coney
"Suzy is Something Special" (8000)
L222

Gerard Conway
"Blackstop" (5500)
AC7, L222

Arthur Byron Cover
"Various Kinds of Conceits" (2000)
AC7, L222

Philippe Curval
"The Taut Arc of Desire" (English & French versions-7200 each)
L222

Jack Dann
"The Carbon Dreamer" (9500)
AC7, L222

Avram Davidson
"The Stone Which the Builders Rejected" (2000)
AC7, L222

Chan Davis
"The Names of Yanils" (9000)
AC7, L222
Crank! #3, 1994

Hank Davis
"Copping Out" (1000)
AC7, L222

Stephen Dedman
"The Great Forest Lawn Clearance Sale: Hurry Last Days!!"
DED

Gordon R. Dickson
"Love Song" (6000)
AC7, L222

Stan Dryer
"Halfway There" (3000)
AC7, L222

G. C. Edmondson
"A Time For Praying" (7700)
L222

George Alec Effinger
"False Premises:"
"1. The Capitals Are Wrong" (4000)
"2. Stage Fright" (2500)
"3. Rocky Colavito Batted .268 in 1955" (5500)
"4. Fishing with Hemingway" (3000)
AC7, L222
AC7 does not have "Fishing with Hemingway" listed, and gives the word
count total as 5500.

Gordon Eklund
"The Children of Bull Weed" (17000)
AC7, L222

Howard Fast
"All Creatures Great and Small" (1200)
AC7, L222

Jonathan Fast
"The Malibu Fault" (1750)
L222

Leslie A. Fiedler
"What Used to be Called Dead" (2800)
AC7, L222
Kenyon Review, Winter 1990;
A New Fiedler Reader, 1999

Firesign Theatre
"Giant Rat of Sumatra, or By the Light of the Silvery" (5000)
L222
As "By the Light of the Silvery" (1967 radio script) in Pink Hotel Burns
Down, 1998 CD

Franklin Fisher
"Adversaries" (4700)
AC7, L222

Felix C. Gotschalk
"A Day in the Life of A-420" (2600)
AC7, L222
In AC7 the author of this story is listed as Jacques Goudchaux.

Ron Goulart
"The Return of Agent Black" (3800)
AC7, L222

Joseph Green
"Play Sweetly, In Harmony" (6300)
AC7, L222

James E. Gunn
"Among the Beautiful Bright Children" (9100)
AC7, L222
Human Voices, 2002;
as "The Historian" in The Dreamers, 1980

Joe Haldeman
"Fantasy for Six Electrodes and One Adrenaline Drip (A Play
in the Form of a Feelie Script)" (10000)
AC7, L222

Graham Hall
"Golgotha" (3200)
AC7, L222

Edmond Hamilton and Leigh Brackett
"Stark and the Star Kings" (10000)
AC7, L222

Charles L. Harness
"Signals" (13125)
L222
Synergy 1, 1987

Harry Harrison
"A Dog and His Boy" (4000)
L222
Harry Harrison - An Annotated Bibliography, ed. Tomlinson, 2002

Frank Herbert
"The Accidental Ferosslk" (3500)
AC7, L222

Steve Herbst
"Leveled Best" (1300)
AC7, L222

P. C. Hodgell
"Dark Threshold" (1500)
L222

Leonard Isaacs
"&#8730 -1 Think, Therefore &#8730 -1 Am" (1000)
AC7, L222

John Jakes
"Uncle Tom's Time Machine" (3000)
AC7, L222

Langdon Jones
"To Have and to Hold" (20000)
L222

Raul Judson
"On the Way to the Woman of Your Dreams" (3800)
L222

Daniel Keyes
"Mama's Girl" (4000)
L222

William Kotzwinkle
"Two From Kotzwinkle's Bestiary" (5000)
L222

Bob Leman "How Dobbstown Was Saved"
FASF (under the entry for Bob Leman).
Sold to TLDV February 1981
Feesters In the Lake, 2002

Susan C. Lette
"Grandma, What's the Sky Made Of?" (1500)
AC7, L222

Robert Lilly
"Return to Elf Hill" (900)
AC7, L222

Anne McCaffrey
"The Bones Do Lie" (7000)
AC7, L222
The Girl Who Heard Dragons, 1994

Vonda N. McIntyre
"XYY" (1600)
AC7, L222

Michael Moorcock
"The Swastika Set-Up" (10000)
AC7
Corridor #4, 1972;
The Cornelius Chronicles, Volume II, 1986;
The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius, 2003

Michael Moorcock
"The Murderer's Song" (7500)
L222
Tales from the Forbidden Planet, 1987;
Casablanca, 1989

Raylyn Moore "End" (9250)
L222

Ward Moore
"Falling From Grace" (4000)
AC7, L222

John Morressy
"Rundown" (1200)
AC7, L222

Janet Nay
"Las Animas" (6800)
AC7, L222

Edgar Pangborn
"The Life and the Clay" (6500)
AC7, L222

Richard E. Peck
"None So Deaf" (2000)
L222

Doris Piserchia
"The Residents of Kingston" (5000)
AC7, L222

Charles Platt
"The Red Dream" (9800)
AC7, L222

P. J. Plauger
"The Dawn Patrol" (10000)
L222

Jerry Pournelle
"Free Enterprise" (11000)
AC7, L222

Joseph F. Pumilia
"A Night at Madame Mephisto's" (1200)
AC7, L222

Tom Reamy
"Potiphee, Petey and Me" (17000)
L222

Mack Reynolds
"Ponce De Leon's Pants" (1800)
AC7, L222

D. M. Rowles
"Thumbing it on the Beam and Other Magic Melting Moments" (2000)
L222

Fred Saberhagen
"The Senior Prom" (4800)
AC7, L222
Prom Night, 1999

Thomas N. Scortia
"The Isle of Sinbad" (10000)
AC7

Bob Shaw
"Dark Night in Toyland" (4000)
L222
Interzone #26, 1988;
Dark Night in Toyland, 1989

Robert Sheckley
"Primordial Follies" (4000)
AC7, L222

Clifford D. Simak
"I Had No Head and My Eyes Were Floating Way Up In the Air" (6600)
AC7, L222

Bruce Sterling
"Living Inside" (2250)
L222

Cordwainer Smith
"Himself in Anachron" (2500)
L222
The Rediscovery of Man, 1993

Craig Strete
"Ten Times Your Fingers and Double Your Toes" (3500)
L222
If All Else Fails... 1980

James Sutherland
"The Amazonas Link" (6000)
AC7, L222

Steve Rasnic Tem
"A Thin Silver Line"
TEM

Robert Thom
"Son of 'Wild in the Streets'" (15800)
AC7, L222

Robert Thurston
"Ugly Duckling Gets the Treatment and Becomes Cinderella Except Her
Foot's Too Big for the Prince's Slipper and is Webbed Besides" (3500)
AC7, L222

Wilson Tucker
"Dick and Jane Go To Mars" (7500)
L222

Lisa Tuttle
"Child of Mind" (6800)
AC7, L222

Steven Utley
"Goodbye" (2000)
L222

A. E. van Vogt
"Skin" (7000)
AC7, L222

John Varley
"The Bellman" (11500)
L222
Asimov's, June 2003;
The John Varley Reader, 2004;
Year's Best SF 21, ed. Dozois

Daniel Walther
"The 100 Million Horses of Planet Dada" (English & French versions-4200 each)
AC7, L222

Ian Watson
"Universe on the Turn" (4200)
L222
Last Wave #4, Autumn 1984;
Slow Birds, 1985

Manly Wade Wellman
"Not All A Dream" (5400)
L222

Wallace West
"On the Other Side of Space" (6500)
L222

Jack Williamson
"Previews of Hell" (3000)
L222
Seventy-Five, Hafner 2004

Richard Wilson
"At the Sign of the Boar's Head Nebula" (47000)
AC7, L222

David Wise
"A Rousing Explanation of the Events Surrounding My Sister's Death" (1800)
AC7, L222

Robert Wissner
"A Night at the Opera" (3000)
AC7, L222

Laurence Yep
"The Seadragon" (17000)
AC7, L222

Pamela Zoline
"Dreamwork, A Novel" (16000)
L222

Footnotes:

AC7 - Letter to The Alien Critic #7, November 1973
DED - <http://eidolon.net/homesite.html?section_name=stephendedman&
pagename=/stephendedman/bibliography.html&
pagetitle=Stephen++Dedman+Bibliography>
FASF - <http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/bibliography/bibliography.htm>
L222 - Article titled “Final Dangerous Visions Contents” in Locus 222,
June 1979, presumably submitted by Harlan Ellison.
TEM - <http://www.m-s-tem.com/sstory5.htm>

Michael Moorcock wrote a letter on www.multiverse.org dated January 29,
2001 regarding TLDV:

"Harlan is a good friend of mine and I have a fairly easy relationship
with him on this. Every five years I take the story I originally did for
him and let someone else have it. Then I write him a new story." This
explains the 2 different Moorcock titles listed in AC7 and L222.

Stephen King's "Squad D" has been listed as being part of TLDV. He wrote
"Squad D" in the late 1970's and submitted the story to Harlan Ellison,
but it does not appear to have been accepted by Ellison for TLDV (from
The Stephen King Companion).

The story "A Day in the Life of A-420" is listed in AC7 as by Jacques
Goudchaux and in L222 as by Felix C. Gotschalk. Presumably one name is a
pseudonym; I have not been able to determine which is the actual
author's name.

"Mama's Girl" by Daniel Keyes appeared in the author's Japanese
collection Collected Stories (Hayakawa, 1993). I am not aware of any
English language reprint.

Edmond Hamilton and Leigh Brackett's "Stark and the Star Kings" is
scheduled to appear in the forthcoming Hamilton & Brackett Haffner Press
Stark and the Star Kings collection

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

Rich Horton

Aug 17, 2005, 7:56:40 AM8/17/05
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:40:01 +0000 (UTC), jga...@ripco.com (John M.
Gamble) wrote:

>My friend Roger has done extensive research on the contents of the book,
>including a search for the stories that have been published elsewhere
>over the years. The following list is as complete as he has been able
>to make it, but if anyone has any additions or corrections, we would
>appreciate hearing from you.

This is great stuff.

At least one more story should be on the list, I think. This is
Christopher Priest's "An Infinite Summer". Priest writes about it in
his notorious _The Last Deadloss Visions_. "An Infinite Summer" is a
great story. It appeared in Peter Weston's Andromeda 1, back in 1976,
so he would appear to have withdrawn it very early indeed. (Perhaps
that's why it didn't show up on these lists.)

John M. Gamble

Aug 20, 2005, 11:11:20 AM8/20/05
In article <6996g19csfhpihsco...@4ax.com>,

Actually, according to *The Book on the Edge of Forever* Ellison
never bought the story (he might have had Priest not lost patience
with the long wait for acceptance, but since Priest never received
a check and acceptance letter, i don't think that it counts).

And on a related subject, wouldn't you know that right around the time
i posted this, the Hamilton and Brackett story went from "scheduled"
to "in print," as the book is now out. So move the foot note to an
actual entry. Also, there's a typo under Williamson's entry, the
publisher should be Haffner, of course.

I find that the list makes me both sad and hopeful. Sad for what
might have been (the book after all was composed back before
Elwood did his best to kill the anthology market; and many of the
authors were indeed rising stars when they submitted their stories).
Hopeful because the stories are slowly getting published. Now if
only the Tim Kirk illustrations could find a home.