Sally Forth, Sunday January 9

peterw...@hotmail.com

Jan 9, 2022, 7:30:50 PM1/9/22
The _Sally Forth_ comic strip has often veered into science fiction
and fantasy. Several of the characters are themselves shown as
SF fans and involved in fannish activities, such as several trips
by the Forth family to Comic-Con over the years.

When _Sally Forth_ started 40 years ago, Greg Howard, the creator,
writer, and original artist, could just about draw talking heads, and
admitted as much when he took on Craig MacIntosh as artist. Since
then, with MacIntosh and later Jim Keefe drawing, _Sally Forth_
has had some of the most remarkable artwork in the field. Today's
strip is a good example:

https://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth/2022-01-09

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Kevrob

Jan 9, 2022, 9:33:15 PM1/9/22
"Greps no kapootie." - Snorky.

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F6%2F0%2F6%2F19606510%5D%2Csizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

The "real" Sally.

http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/84/sallyforth3.jpg

In other news:

"Captain Marvel" wears a red suit with a golden flash of lightning,
and a white, cavalry-length cape, and resembles a young Fred McMurray.

--
Kevin R

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jan 10, 2022, 12:11:27 AM1/10/22
In article <36f0845d-7876-420c...@googlegroups.com>,
See
https://mediumlarge.wordpress.com/

for the author's thoughts on this and the recent anniversary strips.
It includes the referents.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

pete...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2022, 9:59:53 AM1/10/22
Except in recent cinema, where the dude you describe is 'Shazam', and
Captain Marvel is played by the easy-on-the-eyes Brie Larson.

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 10, 2022, 12:40:51 PM1/10/22
In article <a2ac36d7-79a5-4b3f...@googlegroups.com>,
And by an even-easier-on-the-eyes cat. Sort of.

(I have not seen the film, but Meg sent me a good-bits video
featuring the cat-sort-of, whom she had to explain.

Which I bookmarked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwwsEGW3Ck0

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Kevrob

Jan 10, 2022, 2:15:05 PM1/10/22
"Shazam" is the wizard.

Pat and Dick Lupoff at the 1960 Worldcon, masquerading
as Mary Mar vel and her brother, The Big Red Vheese:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SDYmESwYeIo/VhxsJVNkApI/AAAAAAAAWcw/FERbxombZEQ/s1600/lupoff.jpg

The guy throwing the boomerang is Daredevil.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1516/cover/4/

--
Kevin R

Quadibloc

Jan 10, 2022, 3:17:07 PM1/10/22
On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 5:30:50 PM UTC-7, peterw...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Today's
> strip is a good example:
>
> https://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth/2022-01-09

I recognized the references to Blondie and Dennis the Menace.

John Savard

J. Clarke

Jan 10, 2022, 3:22:24 PM1/10/22
I have got to see that movie again. I completely forgot about the
"cat".

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 10, 2022, 5:35:29 PM1/10/22
In article <4b5ptg5tlanvr2j7u...@4ax.com>,
I've never seen it (don't get out much), but I wouldn't mind
doing so if I could find it online somewhere. I'll ask Meg.

J. Clarke

Jan 11, 2022, 5:02:41 PM1/11/22
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 22:28:50 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Disney+ or 4 bucks to rent on Amazon. Disney+ may be bundled with
another service.

Will Dockery

Jan 20, 2022, 10:35:50 AM1/20/22
On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 9:33:15 PM UTC-5, Kevrob wrote:
> On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 7:30:50 PM UTC-5, peterw...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > The _Sally Forth_ comic strip has often veered into science fiction
> > and fantasy. Several of the characters are themselves shown as
> > SF fans and involved in fannish activities, such as several trips
> > by the Forth family to Comic-Con over the years.
> >
> > When _Sally Forth_ started 40 years ago, Greg Howard, the creator,
> > writer, and original artist, could just about draw talking heads, and
> > admitted as much when he took on Craig MacIntosh as artist. Since
> > then, with MacIntosh and later Jim Keefe drawing, _Sally Forth_
> > has had some of the most remarkable artwork in the field. Today's
> > strip is a good example:
> >
> > https://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth/2022-01-09
> >
> "Greps no kapootie." - Snorky.
>
> https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F6%2F0%2F6%2F19606510%5D%2Csizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
>
> The "real" Sally.
>
> http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/84/sallyforth3.jpg

Yes, I immediately thought of the late, great Wally Wood when I spotted this thread.