Pearls Before Swine: Pineapple on Pizza

Lynn McGuire

Dec 9, 2022, 3:34:37 PM12/9/22
Pearls Before Swine: Pineapple on Pizza
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2022/12/09

No, ham and pineapple on pizza is the best !

Lynn

John W Kennedy

Dec 9, 2022, 5:10:11 PM12/9/22
I usually go with straight pepperoni, but when I’m at Matsos Family
Restaurant in Wooster, OH, I generally get their Hawaiian Punch pie.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

William Hyde

Dec 9, 2022, 5:33:33 PM12/9/22
One somewhat drunken night in 1979, my roommate and I ordered two pizzas, which both
tasted fantastic. One combination is lost to history but the other was pineapple, mushroom,
and anchovies. Which we ordered forever after.

This was rare enough that when ordering it through a citywide company, it wasn't necessarily
to specify an address. Only the people at 732 Broadview ever ordered that.

In Texas I won over a convert to this sort of pizza, but at Godfather's you had to ask for
quadruple anchovies before you could, faintly, taste them.

So pineapples, yes, Hawaiian pizza, meh.

William Hyde

BCFD36

Dec 9, 2022, 5:41:19 PM12/9/22
You can put pineapple on pizza, and it is very good. But in no longer
pizza. It is something else. The same with artichokes and other whatnot.
No longer pizza.
--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Scott Lurndal

Dec 9, 2022, 6:53:06 PM12/9/22
John W Kennedy <john.w....@gmail.com> writes:
>On 12/9/22 3:34 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Pearls Before Swine:  Pineapple on Pizza
>>    https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2022/12/09
>>
>> No, ham and pineapple on pizza is the best !
>>
>> Lynn
>
>I usually go with straight pepperoni, but when I’m at Matsos Family
>Restaurant in Wooster, OH, I generally get their Hawaiian Punch pie.

Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (Happy Joe's Special) make an
tastey pizza topping.

art...@yahoo.com

Dec 9, 2022, 8:29:55 PM12/9/22
As long as there are no anchovies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SgGHlZXQc

Anchovies are the spawn of Cthulhu.

Your Name

Dec 10, 2022, 12:07:13 AM12/10/22
On 2022-12-09 22:41:15 +0000, BCFD36 said:
> On 12/9/22 12:34, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>> Pearls Before Swine:  Pineapple on Pizza
>> https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2022/12/09
>>
>> No, ham and pineapple on pizza is the best !
>>
>> Lynn
>
> You can put pineapple on pizza, and it is very good. But in no longer
> pizza. It is something else. The same with artichokes and other
> whatnot. No longer pizza.

There's no such definition or what can and connot be put on top.
According to various places:

Pizza: A dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread
with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and
cheese and often other toppings and baked.

If it's a yeasted flatbread with sauce and toppings, it's a pizza.

You don't even need cheese ... thankfuly, since cheese is disgusting. :-p

A pizza without cheese is today recognized as one of the
three official authentic Neapolitan pizzas and is called
pizza marinara.

Default User

Dec 10, 2022, 2:04:44 AM12/10/22
Anchovies I like a lot. If I'm just getting pizza for myself, which
really never happens anymore, it will be sausage, pepperoni, and
anchovy.

Brian

Dec 10, 2022, 2:05:38 AM12/10/22
That's one of those that I don't mind, but I don't go out of my way to
each. The only topping I won't eat is onions. If those are on a pizza,
I just pass.

Brian

Paul S Person

Dec 10, 2022, 12:08:16 PM12/10/22
Precisely.

Chicken pizza, OTOH ...
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Paul S Person

Dec 10, 2022, 12:15:13 PM12/10/22
Back when the issue occasionally came up, I /never/ passed on a pizza,
no matter what it had on it.

In Germany in the mid-70s I "discovered" the "Pizzatasche", or "Pizza
Pocket". For a while, it was my favorite meal.

John W Kennedy

Dec 10, 2022, 4:59:37 PM12/10/22
And the tomatoes are Gianni-come-latelies. Street pizza goes back to at
least to ancient Rome, but tomato is a New-World crop.

Your Name

Dec 10, 2022, 7:09:31 PM12/10/22
On 2022-12-10 21:59:27 +0000, John W Kennedy said:
> On 12/10/22 12:07 AM, Your Name wrote:

>>> You can put pineapple on pizza, and it is very good. But in no longer
>>> pizza. It is something else. The same with artichokes and other
>>> whatnot. No longer pizza.
>>
>> There's no such definition or what can and connot be put on top.
>> According to various places:
>>
>>   Pizza: A dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread
>>   with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and
>>   cheese and often other toppings and baked.
>>
>>   If it's a yeasted flatbread with sauce and toppings, it's a pizza.
>>

>> You don't even need cheese ... thankfuly, since cheese is disgusting.  :-p
>>
>>   A pizza without cheese is today recognized as one of the
>> three official authentic Neapolitan pizzas and is called
>> pizza marinara.
>
> And the tomatoes are Gianni-come-latelies. Street pizza goes back to at
> least to ancient Rome, but tomato is a New-World crop.

Yep. Europeans even considered tomatoes to be toxic when they were
first brought back from South America. Tomatoes are part of the deadly
nightshade family and tomato leaves are indeed poisoness ... brings a
whole new meaning to the "killer tomatoes" movie franchise. ;-)

John W Kennedy

Dec 11, 2022, 2:25:21 PM12/11/22
Indeed, I had a great-great-grandmother who refused to eat tomatoes,
insisting that they were “poison”, and this was Brooklyn in the 1920s.

William Hyde

Dec 11, 2022, 3:24:15 PM12/11/22
On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 4:59:37 PM UTC-5, John W Kennedy wrote:
> On 12/10/22 12:07 AM, Your Name wrote:

> >> You can put pineapple on pizza, and it is very good. But in no longer
> >> pizza. It is something else. The same with artichokes and other
> >> whatnot. No longer pizza.
> >
> > There's no such definition or what can and connot be put on top.
> > According to various places:
> >
> > Pizza: A dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread
> > with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and
> > cheese and often other toppings and baked.
> >
> > If it's a yeasted flatbread with sauce and toppings, it's a pizza.
> >

> > You don't even need cheese ... thankfuly, since cheese is disgusting. :-p
> >
> > A pizza without cheese is today recognized as one of the
> > three official authentic Neapolitan pizzas and is called
> > pizza marinara.
> And the tomatoes are Gianni-come-latelies. Street pizza goes back to at
> least to ancient Rome, but tomato is a New-World crop.

Hence my anchovy fixation is just tradition. The Romans drenched their
food, including street food, with garum to a remarkable extent. And
garum is just liquid anchovy.

Well, rotted salted fish juice, actually.

William Hyde

Paul S Person

Dec 12, 2022, 11:55:26 AM12/12/22
Covered up the stench/taste of rottenness.

William Hyde

Dec 12, 2022, 12:30:41 PM12/12/22
No doubt, but it was popular with the upper classes.

In Rosemary Rowe's "Libtertus" novels the main character, a British Celt, is on
occasion invited to dine with his patron, a high Roman official. He dreads
this as the Romans put Garum on everything and he detests the stuff.

I wonder if the author hates anchovies?

William Hyde

Paul S Person

Dec 13, 2022, 12:29:18 PM12/13/22
On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:30:38 -0800 (PST), William Hyde
No effective refrigeration, not even for Crassus.

It was an acquired taste -- acquired in childhood, by parental fiat.

It was part of being Roman, and every Roman proudly ate it, to show he
(or she, no pronoun problems back then!) was Roman.

BTW, the main reason the Spice Islands were so sought after was
because the spices they produced made food appear palatable long after
it had turned. The spices /did/ taste better than garum sounds like it
would, I suppose, but still ... it's the same idea.

>In Rosemary Rowe's "Libtertus" novels the main character, a British Celt, is on
>occasion invited to dine with his patron, a high Roman official. He dreads
>this as the Romans put Garum on everything and he detests the stuff.
>
>I wonder if the author hates anchovies?

Scott Lurndal

Dec 13, 2022, 12:33:39 PM12/13/22
Paul S Person <pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> writes:

>>> Covered up the stench/taste of rottenness.
>>
>>No doubt, but it was popular with the upper classes.
>
>No effective refrigeration, not even for Crassus.
>
>It was an acquired taste -- acquired in childhood, by parental fiat.

Not uncommon even in this modern age.

https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/o_lutefisk_o_lutefisk.htm

William Hyde

Dec 13, 2022, 12:45:42 PM12/13/22
As I understand it, this is not how it was used. It was applied to fresh
food, e.g. eggs, and while it might have been used to cover the taste
of gamy meat Crassus never had to eat that, except possibly while
on campaign.

> It was an acquired taste -- acquired in childhood, by parental fiat.

The closest thing we have to it now, I am told, is Thai fish sauce. I
quite like that, but it's too salty for me nowadays.

> It was part of being Roman, and every Roman proudly ate it, to show he
> (or she, no pronoun problems back then!) was Roman.

That and wine without perfumes in it.

> BTW, the main reason the Spice Islands were so sought after was
> because the spices they produced made food appear palatable long after
> it had turned. The spices /did/ taste better than garum sounds like it
> would, I suppose, but still ... it's the same idea.

I used to joke that the Romans acquired their empire precisely because their only
local spice was rotted fish guts. The joke falls a little flat in that they had quite
a variety of spices and flavourings and decent garum was probably pretty
good. For anyone who likes anchovies, anyway.

William Hyde

art...@yahoo.com

Dec 13, 2022, 2:53:40 PM12/13/22
On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 12:33:39 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Not uncommon even in this modern age.
>
> https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/o_lutefisk_o_lutefisk.htm

Once in a class I was teaching, I mentioned that Scandinavia had a relatively small founder population.
One student replied "That explains lutefisk".
Smart guy...

Paul S Person

Dec 14, 2022, 12:20:49 PM12/14/22
On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:33:35 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
Thankfully, the Scandavian Christmas items /I/ was raised were all of
the "cookie" variety.

My mom actually had a Krumkake iron
([https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Norwegian-Krumkake-Iron/dp/B00004RFPK/ref=asc_df_B00004RFPK?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852084166627&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451671849763&psc=1]
is an example -- and she had something like the "7-piece set"
illustrated on that page, although possibly for use with a different
sort of cookie).

We ate them pre-rolled, with no filling.

And I suspect they tasted a /lot/ better than lutefisk!

Scott Lurndal

Dec 14, 2022, 12:28:46 PM12/14/22
Paul S Person <pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> writes:
>On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:33:35 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>wrote:
>
>>Paul S Person <pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> writes:

>>>No effective refrigeration, not even for Crassus.
>>>
>>>It was an acquired taste -- acquired in childhood, by parental fiat.
>>
>>Not uncommon even in this modern age.
>>
>>https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/o_lutefisk_o_lutefisk.htm
>
>Thankfully, the Scandavian Christmas items /I/ was raised were all of
>the "cookie" variety.

Whereas we had Lutefisk every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Along with
meatballs and mashed potatoes for those of us who weren't fond of
the sensation of slimey boiled reconstituted dried fish slithering
down the throat.

I still make Lefse for the holidays, but forgo the fish. I believe the
local Sons of Norway still has a fish dinner for the holidays.

>And I suspect they tasted a /lot/ better than lutefisk!

Lutefisk, being drowned in butter, doesn't really taste
-bad-, but the texture is offputting.

Now Rommegrot, on the other hand, was delicious, and a heart
attack waiting to happen...

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 14, 2022, 11:03:01 PM12/14/22
In article <d240dfbe-319a-420a...@googlegroups.com>,
(Hal Heydt)
Them's fightin' words.

Kevrob

Dec 15, 2022, 5:36:25 AM12/15/22
Eat the little fishies before the Big C devours you!

I made a pizza for dinner last night" anchovy & pepperoni.

--
Kevin R

Paul S Person

Dec 15, 2022, 12:07:08 PM12/15/22
On Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:20:42 -0800, Paul S Person
<pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>My mom actually had a Krumkake iron
>([https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Norwegian-Krumkake-Iron/dp/B00004RFPK/ref=asc_df_B00004RFPK?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852084166627&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451671849763&psc=1]
>is an example -- and she had something like the "7-piece set"
>illustrated on that page, although possibly for use with a different
>sort of cookie).

Of course, /hers/ was cast iron, two pieces with a hinge, heated on a
stove burner (and before that, no doubt, various other sources, all
the way back to the fireplace), and handled with great care, as cast
iron gets /very/ hot when used for cooking.

The one shown is rather more modern.

Paul S Person

Dec 15, 2022, 12:10:46 PM12/15/22
n Fri, 9 Dec 2022 17:29:52 -0800 (PST), "art...@yahoo.com"
I forget the title, but I once saw a film of an underwater scientific
outpost that had to be evacuated by (if memory serves) trudging across
the Mariana Trench to an escape pod and then escaping.

On the escape, a very large ... thing ... appeared and they were
pursued by smaller things. The making-of asserted that these were
supposed to Cthulhu and his spawn.

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 15, 2022, 1:03:01 PM12/15/22
In article <tn1b28$1ju1e$1...@dont-email.me>,
(Hal Heydt)
I go for pepperoni, mushrooms, pineapple, and anchovies.

Gary R. Schmidt

Dec 15, 2022, 9:39:09 PM12/15/22
Eh, boring.

Either *everything* with extra anchovies, or Marinara, with extra anchovies.

Pizza in Oz is slightly different.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

The Horny Goat

Dec 29, 2022, 10:59:38 PM12/29/22
On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 23:53:02 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (Happy Joe's Special) make an
>tastey pizza topping.

Never have figured out how bacon gets a nationality. I've had it both
in Canada and in California and didn't see much of a difference.

Guess it's like applying a nationality to soft drinks (eg. Canada Dry
as one of the better ginger ales)

Mark Jackson

Dec 29, 2022, 11:44:39 PM12/29/22
On 12/29/2022 10:59 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 23:53:02 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott
> Lurndal) wrote:
>
>> Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (Happy Joe's Special) make an tastey
>> pizza topping.
>
> Never have figured out how bacon gets a nationality. I've had it
> both in Canada and in California and didn't see much of a
> difference.

It's to differentiate Canadian bacon from American bacon, which with our
usual cultural blindness we just call "bacon."

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/canadian-bacon-vs-bacon

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without

John W Kennedy

Dec 30, 2022, 1:18:15 PM12/30/22
Canadian Bacon is back bacon. American Bacon is streaky rashers.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 30, 2022, 1:37:16 PM12/30/22
In article <8eqcnYDyf9LDtjL-...@giganews.com>,
John W Kennedy <john.w....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 12/29/22 10:59 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 23:53:02 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (Happy Joe's Special) make an
>>> tastey pizza topping.
>>
>> Never have figured out how bacon gets a nationality. I've had it both
>> in Canada and in California and didn't see much of a difference.
>>
>> Guess it's like applying a nationality to soft drinks (eg. Canada Dry
>> as one of the better ginger ales)
>
>Canadian Bacon is back bacon. American Bacon is streaky rashers.

Which would be a good band name if you put a 'The' in front!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Your Name

Dec 30, 2022, 4:10:18 PM12/30/22
On 2022-12-30 18:18:06 +0000, John W Kennedy said:
> On 12/29/22 10:59 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 23:53:02 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (Happy Joe's Special) make an
>>> tastey pizza topping.
>>
>> Never have figured out how bacon gets a nationality. I've had it both
>> in Canada and in California and didn't see much of a difference.

It should depend on where the pig was born and/or what passport(s) it has. ;-)

>> Guess it's like applying a nationality to soft drinks (eg. Canada Dry
>> as one of the better ginger ales)
>
> Canadian Bacon is back bacon. American Bacon is streaky rashers.

American bacon vs real bacon
<https://i.stack.imgur.com/NtTmW.jpg>

Canadian bacon vs American bacon vs British bacon
<https://englishbreakfastsociety.com/style/images/art/BaconGuide.jpg>

Your Name

Dec 30, 2022, 4:11:02 PM12/30/22
On 2022-12-30 18:18:06 +0000, John W Kennedy said:

> On 12/29/22 10:59 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 23:53:02 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (Happy Joe's Special) make an
>>> tastey pizza topping.
>>
>> Never have figured out how bacon gets a nationality. I've had it both
>> in Canada and in California and didn't see much of a difference.
>>
>> Guess it's like applying a nationality to soft drinks (eg. Canada Dry
>> as one of the better ginger ales)
>
> Canadian Bacon is back bacon. American Bacon is streaky rashers.

But where on the pig does Kevin Bacon come from?? ;-)

Lynn McGuire

Dec 30, 2022, 8:43:02 PM12/30/22
The real stringy lean part of the pig.

Lynn

Tony Nance

Jan 1, 2023, 11:35:40 AM1/1/23
I'm sure there's a six-degrees-of-separation gag in here somewhere,
but I'm failing to find it. That's probably a good thing.
- Tony

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 6, 2023, 12:18:24 AM1/6/23
In article <c91266ee-56c8-459c...@googlegroups.com>,
(Hal Heydt)
I suspect the only gag is the reflexive one.