Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany

James Nicoll

Sep 8, 2021, 11:13:21 AM9/8/21
Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany

https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones

pete...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2021, 2:02:14 PM9/8/21
On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
>
> https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones

Have you done 'Day Million'?

I loved that story for decades, then I played a reading of it to my millenial daughter as we drove somewhere.
Only then did I realize how male-viewpoint orientated it was.

pt

Robert Carnegie

Sep 8, 2021, 3:44:17 PM9/8/21
On Wednesday, 8 September 2021 at 16:13:21 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
>
> https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones

I don't remember if I've even tried to read this story -
but I find I'm thinking of philosopher Bertrand Russell
an the taxi driver who said to him, “Well, Lord Russell,
what’s it all about? And, do you know, he couldn’t
tell me."

James Nicoll

Sep 8, 2021, 5:30:55 PM9/8/21
In article <1b7b7b7d-8549-4c35...@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of
>Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
>>

>https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones
>
>Have you done 'Day Million'?

I have not!

Mike Schilling

Sep 19, 2021, 2:52:18 AM9/19/21
On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 8:13:21 AM UTC-7, James Nicoll wrote:
> Young People Read Old Hugo Finalists: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
>
> https://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/time-considered-as-a-helix-of-semi-precious-stones

No big surprise that the young people missed the Finnegans Wake reference.

Paul S Person

Sep 19, 2021, 11:06:33 AM9/19/21
As well they should.

The /first/ time I read it, I didn't understand it, but I admired the
craftsmanship. As opposed to the other one, which I found completely
impervious to my brain.

The /second/ time I read, I actually understood it. And bailed after
the first chapter, for it turned out to be about nothing I had any
interest in whatsoever.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Michael F. Stemper

Sep 19, 2021, 1:27:37 PM9/19/21
I've read _Helix_ several times without catching it. In fact, the only
_Finnegans Wake_ reference that I've ever caught was at the end of
"Riders of the Purple Wage". (I hope that's not a spoiler.)

BTW, nice to see you again.

--
Michael F. Stemper
The FAQ for rec.arts.sf.written is at