"The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston

Lynn McGuire

Dec 1, 2022, 3:28:03 AM12/1/22
"The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston

https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/

I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".

I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.

Lynn

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 1, 2022, 8:14:09 AM12/1/22
In article <tm9oie$1kmq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Lots of cats in the Liaden universe. I remember the cat+ in Norton's
_The Zero Stone_, and, heck, "catgirls" are practically an industry in
Indie now. And how about the Kzin?
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Robert Carnegie

Dec 1, 2022, 8:48:09 AM12/1/22
Dan seems to have not read a lot of this set of "best books".
Or not recently, perhaps.

art...@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2022, 9:22:46 AM12/1/22
It was a short story, but I was fond of Space Time for Springers
I read a novel and a short story in which telling you cats were involved would be a major spoiler. I can't remember the name of the novel...

James Nicoll

Dec 1, 2022, 9:36:30 AM12/1/22
In article <jurnks...@mid.individual.net>,
Huh. I just designed a catgirl for Trinity Aeon. Every team of
investigators needs a member who took lessons from the Puma sisters
and the Lovely Angels.

Don

Dec 1, 2022, 11:04:05 AM12/1/22
Ted Nolan wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>"The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>
>>https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>>
>>I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
>>Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
>>
>>I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.
>
> Lots of cats in the Liaden universe. I remember the cat+ in Norton's
> _The Zero Stone_, and, heck, "catgirls" are practically an industry in
> Indie now. And how about the Kzin?

Kalorn in "Vault of the Beast" (van Vogt) is reasonably cat-like, no?

Pete the cat appears in my favorite Heinlein: _The Door Into Summer_.

Although cats terrify Pucky the mousebeaver, in the end he makes friends
with Katanian, who is the cat's whiskers on the planet Volat in PR 56
"The Dead Live." Many novellas later, Rhodan's storied intuition fails
in regards to Katanian and it profoundly poisons Perry's relationship
with Pucky.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 1, 2022, 11:14:10 AM12/1/22
In article <2022...@crcomp.net>, Don <g...@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Ted Nolan wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>"The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>>
>>>https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>>>
>>>I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
>>>Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
>>>
>>>I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.
>>
>> Lots of cats in the Liaden universe. I remember the cat+ in Norton's
>> _The Zero Stone_, and, heck, "catgirls" are practically an industry in
>> Indie now. And how about the Kzin?
>
>Kalorn in "Vault of the Beast" (van Vogt) is reasonably cat-like, no?

Oh, and Coeurl from "Black Destroyer" is iconic, and has an iconic cover
to boot:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/Black_Destroyer_Astounding_July_1939.jpg

Ahasuerus

Dec 1, 2022, 11:38:32 AM12/1/22

Christian Weisgerber

Dec 1, 2022, 2:30:09 PM12/1/22
On 2022-12-01, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>
> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/

There's a cat in _Memory_? Huh.

> I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.

S. Andrew Swann, _Forrests of the Night_ and _Fearful Symmetries_ [1],
whose protagonist Nohar Rajasthan is an anthropomorphized tiger,
bio-engineered as a soldier and now working as a PI. (He keeps a
domestic cat named, well, Cat.)

Where there's a PI, there's got to be a femme fatale of course,
which leads to this immortal sentence:
"Humans kept their hair in the strangest places."

[1] Anglophone audiences will recognize the origin of those titles.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Christian Weisgerber

Dec 1, 2022, 2:30:09 PM12/1/22
On 2022-12-01, Don <g...@crcomp.net> wrote:

> Although cats terrify Pucky the mousebeaver, in the end he makes friends
> with Katanian, who is the cat's whiskers on the planet Volat in PR 56
> "The Dead Live." Many novellas later, Rhodan's storied intuition fails
> in regards to Katanian and it profoundly poisons Perry's relationship
> with Pucky.

God knows how many cat-like aliens have appeared in _Perry Rhodan_,
but Dao-Lin-H'ay, who pops up somewhere beyond volume #1000, stands
out, since she becomes a major character and becomes romantically
involved with the Terran and fellow immortal Ronald Tekener.

Tony Nance

Dec 1, 2022, 2:59:07 PM12/1/22
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 11:38:32 AM UTC-5, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 11:14:10 AM UTC-5, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> > >Kalorn in "Vault of the Beast" (van Vogt) is reasonably cat-like, no?
> > >
> > Oh, and Coeurl from "Black Destroyer" is iconic, and has an iconic cover
> > to boot:
> >
> > upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/Black_Destroyer_Astounding_July_1939.jpg

On and on Coeurl prowled....
Awesome - that's the 4th one I was going to mention. The first was Heinlein's Pete,
also mentioned elsewhere.

Is Chee Lan a cat? C'Mell?
- Tony

Michael F. Stemper

Dec 1, 2022, 3:13:28 PM12/1/22
On 01/12/2022 12.55, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-12-01, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>
>> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>
> There's a cat in _Memory_? Huh.

I was puzzled at first, too. Remember the Ma Costi sub-plot and
some kitchen shenanigans?

--
Michael F. Stemper
Economists have correctly predicted seven of the last three recessions.

Michael F. Stemper

Dec 1, 2022, 3:44:19 PM12/1/22
I don't *think* so. I can't find a full description, but in "The
Trouble Twisters", Anderson says, "[...] though not strictly
arboreal, among endless forests the race has made the branches
a second environment [...]"

Also, in "The Day of Burning", I find "[...] descendant of
carnivores who chased their prey in five-meter leaps from
branch to branch [...]"

> C'Mell?

That was the impression that I got, but my memories of
_Norstralia_ are kind of dim. (It's been sixteen years.)

Also, people have been listing one-offs from Norton's corpus.
As I recall, most of her SF includes a cat and a voyage
underground. Certainly, this one shouldn't be overlooked:

<https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?6422>

--
Michael F. Stemper
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.

Tony Nance

Dec 1, 2022, 3:55:13 PM12/1/22
Speaking of cats & voyages - GRRM's Tuf Voyaging
stories all have cats accompanying space trader
Haviland Tuf on his various voyages.

Tony

Des

Dec 1, 2022, 4:22:45 PM12/1/22
"The Unadulterated Cat" Terry Pratchett

Des

Scott Lurndal

Dec 1, 2022, 4:22:55 PM12/1/22
"Michael F. Stemper" <michael...@gmail.com> writes:
>On 01/12/2022 12.55, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> On 2022-12-01, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>>
>>> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>>
>> There's a cat in _Memory_? Huh.
>
>I was puzzled at first, too. Remember the Ma Costi sub-plot and
>some kitchen shenanigans?

Was that memory? I suppose when Miles hired Ma Costi.

The kittens were also shown in
_A Civil Campaign_ when Ekaterin brought Nikki over to the Vorkosigans
after the episode that Simon broke up at the Professors.

Ahasuerus

Dec 1, 2022, 4:27:08 PM12/1/22
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 4:22:45 PM UTC-5, Des wrote:
> On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 8:28:03 AM UTC, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
> >
> > https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
> >
> > I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
> > Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
> >
> > I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.
> >
> "The Unadulterated Cat" Terry Pratchett

Surely it's a how-to guide and not SF?

Don

Dec 1, 2022, 4:57:15 PM12/1/22
You reminded me. All of the cats shown in Bruck's interior art:
<https://www.perrypedia.de/mediawiki/images/f/f9/PR1500Illu.jpg>
pique my curiosity enough to follow Ellert's footsteps with a literary
teletemportation-travel through time to PR 1500 "Ruf der Unsterblichkeit:"
<https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Ruf_der_Unsterblichkeit_(Roman)>

Lynn McGuire

Dec 1, 2022, 5:36:45 PM12/1/22
On 12/1/2022 10:04 AM, Don wrote:
> Ted Nolan wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>>
>>> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>>>
>>> I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
>>> Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
>>>
>>> I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.
>>
>> Lots of cats in the Liaden universe. I remember the cat+ in Norton's
>> _The Zero Stone_, and, heck, "catgirls" are practically an industry in
>> Indie now. And how about the Kzin?
>
> Kalorn in "Vault of the Beast" (van Vogt) is reasonably cat-like, no?
>
> Pete the cat appears in my favorite Heinlein: _The Door Into Summer_.
>
> Although cats terrify Pucky the mousebeaver, in the end he makes friends
> with Katanian, who is the cat's whiskers on the planet Volat in PR 56
> "The Dead Live." Many novellas later, Rhodan's storied intuition fails
> in regards to Katanian and it profoundly poisons Perry's relationship
> with Pucky.
>
> Danke,

SPOILERS ! I am only at number 58.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Dec 1, 2022, 5:45:01 PM12/1/22
On 12/1/2022 2:13 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 01/12/2022 12.55, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> On 2022-12-01, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>>
>> There's a cat in _Memory_?  Huh.
>
> I was puzzled at first, too. Remember the Ma Costi sub-plot and
> some kitchen shenanigans?

YES ! The cat at the Vorkosigan House guard gate that delivered a
scratch or two with its meal.

Lynn

BCFD36

Dec 2, 2022, 4:28:47 PM12/2/22
On 12/1/22 12:44, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 01/12/2022 13.59, Tony Nance wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 11:38:32 AM UTC-5, Ahasuerus wrote:
>>> On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 11:14:10 AM UTC-5, Ted Nolan
>>> <tednolan> wrote:

[Stuff Deleted]

>>   C'Mell?
>
> That was the impression that I got, but my memories of
> _Norstralia_ are kind of dim. (It's been sixteen years.)
>
> Also, people have been listing one-offs from Norton's corpus.
> As I recall, most of her SF includes a cat and a voyage
> underground. Certainly, this one shouldn't be overlooked:
>
> <https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?6422>

Yep, C'Mell was a cat person.

"She was a girly girl and they were true men, the lords of creation, but
she pitted her wits against them and she won. It had never happened
before, and it is sure never to happen again, but she did win. She was
not even of human extraction. She was **cat-derived**, though human in
outward shape, which explains the C in front of her name. Her father's
name was C'mackintosh and her name was C'mell. She won her trick against
the lawful and assembled Lords of the Instrumentality."

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 2, 2022, 11:24:33 PM12/2/22
Hid the bell with a blot, she did.

Robert Carnegie

Dec 3, 2022, 3:53:54 PM12/3/22
It briefly considers a what-if scenario if the
world had cats but not dogs. Also, the nature
of Schroedinger cats. I think they realise
what the experiment is about and they make
a quantum jump out of the box?

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 5, 2022, 1:57:50 PM12/5/22
In article <slrntohu4e...@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
(Hal Heydt)
Web comic "Doc Rat" includes a pair of characters--Pat the Tiger
and Pat the Dog--that run a company called "Florists of the
Night".

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 5, 2022, 1:57:51 PM12/5/22
In article <2022...@crcomp.net>, Don <g...@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Ted Nolan wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>"The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>>>
>>>https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>>>
>>>I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
>>>Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
>>>
>>>I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.

(Hal Heydt)
E. E. "Doc" Smith, "The Vortex Blaster".

Quadibloc

Dec 5, 2022, 8:44:03 PM12/5/22
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:28:03 AM UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I see the list did not include Tuf Voyaging, one of the few I could remember
offhand among those I read.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Dec 5, 2022, 8:45:23 PM12/5/22
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 12:30:09 PM UTC-7, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> There's a cat in _Memory_? Huh.

Well, if there is, it certainly _seems_ appropriate!

John Savard
...all alone in the moonlight

Quadibloc

Dec 5, 2022, 8:50:52 PM12/5/22
What, no link? Well, that has to be remedied...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdBVJbzkoqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gd_ohoPzYc

John Savard

Quadibloc

Dec 5, 2022, 9:26:54 PM12/5/22
Speaking of Andrew Lloyd-Webber and science-fiction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQbkhYg2DzM
although he did not in fact write the musical extract... attributed...
to him in this scene.

John Savard

Lynn McGuire

Dec 6, 2022, 8:02:29 PM12/6/22
On 12/1/2022 2:27 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>
> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>
> I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
> Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
>
> I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.
>
> Lynn

How about Kyrie in "Draw One In The Dark" by Sarah Hoyt. Kyrie is a
waitress and a shape shifter, a black panther. She works in Tom's
diner, "The George". Tom is also a shape shifter, a dragon.
https://www.amazon.com/Draw-One-Dark-Sarah-Hoyt/dp/1416555420/

And of course, Marshall Anita Blake's Nathanial is a shape shifter, a
were leopard.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0515134473/

Lynn

Tony Nance

Dec 6, 2022, 10:27:16 PM12/6/22
Shirley you were going to say Jane Yellowrock next and accidentally hit 'send'?
- Tony

Lynn McGuire

Dec 6, 2022, 11:59:34 PM12/6/22
Surely. There is no way I could forget Jane Yellowrock.

Lynn

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 12, 2022, 6:37:58 PM12/12/22
In article <tmp6jh$fqgg$1...@dont-email.me>,
Poul Anderson's "Operation: Chaos" has a were-tiger in it. (And
a werewolf and a were-fennec.)

Cannabis knewz

Jan 12, 2023, 9:46:24 PMJan 12
Buy polka dot shroom bars, one up mushroom bars and Trippy flip chocolate bars
Polkadot chocolate helps you conquer your day or make it an adventure depending on how you choose to dose. Polka dot magic belgian chocolate bars are not only delicious, but also very powerful. These mushroom chocolates are equivalent to 4 grams of Psilocybin & Psilocin from Psychedelic Mushrooms. Aside from the full-fledged high of eating a number of chocolates, these are helpful for those who are fans of microdosing, as the chocolate hide the fungi flavor and you can eat 1 square at a time. Now available here at affordable prices. Being the official producers and suppliers of polka dot chocolate bars, it has also come to our attention that magic mushrooms have been decriminalized in Washington, DC. Each bar contains 15 easily-breakable pieces.

Polka dot shroom bars review
To continue, this is 1 of the oldest and safest medicines in the world. This psilocybin and psilocin from psychedelic mushrooms reduces stress, depression, stimulate brain cell growth. She will also increase focus, and sharpen your senses.

POLKADOT CHOCOLATE DOSAGE

MICRODOSE: 1-3 PIECES. STIMULATE THE MIND.

THERAPEUTIC: 4-9 PIECES. MINDFUL AND ELEVATED.

GOD MODE: 10-15 PIECES. WALLS MIGHT MELT.

Micro dosing psychedelics is the practice of consuming very low, sub-hallucinogenic doses of a psychedelic substance. Substances such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), mushroom chocolates or psilocybin containing mushrooms. Polka dot shroom bars have different verities. Each flavor taste different since they all have different ingredients. With the Cinnamon toast crunch flavor, the main ingredients are mushrooms, a naturally flavored chocolate sweetened wheat and rice cereal with a hint of cinnamon. This mushroom chocolate bar has a sweet taste due to a whopping 17 grams of sugar and 6 grams of sugar that is present in the chocolate bar.

Polka dot chocolate bars at https://www.legalweedzon.com/product/polka-dot-mushroom-chocolate/
Buy Polka dot chocolate bars
Buy trippy flip mushroom chocolates https://www.legalweedzon.com/product/trippy-flip-chocolate-bar/
Buy one up mushroom bar https://www.legalweedzon.com/product/one-mushroom-bar

We provide next-day overnight drop-off at your secured delivery address with no signature required. You don’t sign up for a package and delivery is 100% secured and guaranteed, 100% money back if anything happens with the package or the package not deliver, and with the help and confirmation from the delivery company, we reship within 4 days or refund money back if you will not like to use our services.
Phone N0: +15156614951

#where to buy mushroom chocolate

#buy mushroom chocolate bar

#where can i buy mushroom chocolate

#buy mushroom chocolate

#where to buy mushroom chocolate bars

#buy mushroom chocolate bars

#where can you buy mushroom chocolate

#can you buy mushroom chocolate i colorado

#can you buy mushroom chocolate

#how to buy mushroom chocolate

Butch Malahide

Jan 14, 2023, 12:33:57 AMJan 14
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 2:28:03 AM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "The Best Science Fiction Books with Cats in Them" by Dan Livingston
>
> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-science-fiction-books-with-cats-in-them/
>
> I have read "The Pride of Chanur", "Beast Master", "The Cat Who Walks
> Through Walls", "Memory", "On Basilisk Station", and "Alien".
>
> I have a couple more but am drawing a blank at the moment.
>
> Lynn
_Galactic Odyssey_ by Keith Laumer
"The Crime and the Glory of Commander Suzdal" by Cordwainer Smith
"The Smile of the Sphinx" by William F. Temple
"Cat" by Reginald Bretnor

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 15, 2023, 4:08:34 PMJan 15