Winter's Tale

Karl-Johan Noren

Sep 27, 2020, 6:02:20 AM9/27/20
Looking into the group, and feeling sad.

A Sea Folk darter trapped in ice by Bandar Ebon
Soldiers drill in Almoth in the snow
Watchtower by the Blight, a Tinker on her wagon
Falme's lighthouse where the storm hits land
Dense snow slowly melting in the steep hills of Caemlyn
Sweat in The Three Stars in Ebou Dar
Caravan in misty snow from Maradon to distant land
The lights go out in Tremalking

It is now the time when the Last Battle will begin
And from Aryth sea rise a frigid ice-chilled wind

The mist in Tear scratched by hammers of the smithies
and the ships are filled with refugees
A horse pulls a wagon against the wind on Whitebridge
A gleeman in Chachin sings "The Wind from the North"
The To'raken mighty bellow is driving through the night
The farms are dousing their last lights
A storm drenched Tanchico sends prayers to The Light
The Inner City staggers drunkenly

It is now the time when the Last Battle will begin
And from Aryth sea rise a frigid ice-chilled wind

Sailor's inn in Illian in the shadow of the ships
A Warder stabbed to death in Tar Valon
Snowed-in farms somewhere in the Two Rivers
And the drunks are taking over The Long Man
Far beyond the forest the melody goes silent
And the lights they flicker out and die
People huddle when the snowstorm strikes upon their land
Doors are closed, curtains they are pulled

It is now the time when the Last Battle will begin
And from Aryth sea rise a frigid ice-chilled wind

(Can be sung to the tune of "Vintersaga" by Ted Ström)

jjvors

Sep 27, 2020, 6:34:38 PM9/27/20
Hi Karl,

This is the first on-topic post I've seen in a while. Good for you, Karl!

I'm Jeff Smith. I joined the group in 94 or 95 and posted quite a bit in the 90s. I ran the daily Parasha for a while. With the demise of Usenet (went to Yahoo and then Google) I retained a subscription to posts in a few groups.

How are you doing?

Karl-Johan Noren

Sep 28, 2020, 2:19:27 PM9/28/20
On 2020-09-27 22:34:36 +0000, jjvors said:

> I'm Jeff Smith. I joined the group in 94 or 95 and posted quite a bit
> in the 90s. I ran the daily Parasha for a while. With the demise of
> Usenet (went to Yahoo and then Google) I retained a subscription to
> posts in a few groups.
> How are you doing?

Huh. You must have joined the froup at about the same time as I did,
but I can't say I remember you. I do remember I sent in the proposal
for what ended up as Parasha, though. But didn't it run weekly?

Most of us migrated to Livejournal, and then Dreamwidth. Nowadays
it's mostly The Cabal (TINC) Discord server, though you can find some
exiles in other spots as well. If you want to, I can send over an
invite.

jjvors

Sep 29, 2020, 6:18:44 PM9/29/20
I never got the memo on the other sites. I just kept my subscription to raswrj.

Thanks for any invite. Use my author email, andy...@andyzach.net

Karl-Johan Noren

Oct 2, 2020, 3:45:06 PM10/2/20
On 2020-09-29 22:18:42 +0000, jjvors said:

> I never got the memo on the other sites. I just kept my subscription to raswrj.
>
> Thanks for any invite. Use my author email, andy...@andyzach.net

At least the first migration out off here happened rather organically;
it was not like it was planned by anyone. But I've sent an invite
to There Is No Cabal to you now.

jjvors

Oct 7, 2020, 12:02:54 AM10/7/20
Thanks for the invitation. I got onto No Cabal and it just seems to be a messaging system, no discussion groups. So I don't know how to use it.

Scott Lurndal

Oct 7, 2020, 12:14:23 PM10/7/20
Just wait around here. When the Amazon version of The Eye of the World
comes out next year, perhaps this usenet newsgroup may become popular
again. Probably not to the level that caused it to spin out of
rec.arts.sf however.

Chucky@Work

Oct 14, 2020, 6:14:58 AM10/14/20
Nicely done, and nice to see a little twitch of life in the old group. I still check in every now and then on the ~3 groups I regularly visited back in the good ole days.

It's going to be interesting to see if the TV show brings anyone back to discuss things. The GRRM TV show didn't do a whole lot, I think it just appealed to a different demographic. Either that or the day of usenet and other text-based discussion media is really over.

C@w
--
https://hatboy.blog/

Joel Hafvenstein

Oct 23, 2021, 8:10:18 PM10/23/21
Hej Karl-Johan! Long time no see. Once in another life, you translated my work. :)

I don't think I ever quite qualified for The Cabal, but I'd enjoy joining a C(TINC) Discord, if alt.shrugged is enough of a calling card to get me in the door. Do send me an invite if you see this...