Sanderson on WoT Series

Jason Evans

Nov 30, 2021, 8:22:59 AM11/30/21
From: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2021/11/23/brandon-sanderson-
is-not-a-fan-of-one-big-wheel-of-time-change/

Quoth Sanderson:

“Biggest thing he and I disagreed on was Perrin's wife. I realize that
there is a good opportunity here for Perrin to be shown with rage issues,
and to be afraid of the potential beast inside of him. I liked that idea,
but didn't like it being a wife for multiple reasons. First off, it feels
a lot like the disposable wife trope (AKA Woman in the Fridge.) Beyond
that, I think the trauma of having killed your wife is so huge, the story
this is telling can't realistically deal with it in a way that is
responsible. Perrin killing his wife then going off on an adventure
really bothers me, even still. I have faith that the writers won't treat
it lightly, but still. That kind of trauma, dealt with realistically and
responsibly, is really difficult for an adventure series to deal with.

“I suggested instead that he kill Master Luhhhan. As much as I hate to do
Luhhan dirty like that, I think the idea Rafe and the team had here is a
good one for accelerating Perrin's plot. Accidentally killing your master
steps the trauma back a little, but gives the same motivations and
hesitance. One thing I don't want this WoT adaptation to try to do is
lean into being a tonal Game of Thrones replacement—IE, I don't want to
lean into the "Grimdark" ideas. Killing Perrin's wife felt edgy just to
be edgy.”

- The author of the article then says:

I think this makes a lot of sense and I wish Judkins had listened to the
advice. A lot of book fans are upset with this change as well as with
some others, like the notion that the Dragon Reborn can be any of the
five Two Rivers youths, not just Rand al’Thor (it’s probably going to be
Nynaeve).

---------------------------

Sanderson's original Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qxt9h5/
some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_one/

jjvors

Nov 30, 2021, 7:52:30 PM11/30/21
Well, that tears it. I thought the idea of Perrin killing his wife was impossibly stupid and it discouraged me from watching. Now I know it was INTENTIONAL and it was to show his issues with aggression sooner. That is even more stupid. I will never watch this show now.

Perrin had no aggression issues in the Two Rivers. He acquired them as Trollocs killed his family and he had to fight them and Myrrdraahl to save his life and the lives of his friends. Then he became a wolf brother with wolf instincts. How much more rational do you need?

Jason Evans

Dec 1, 2021, 4:43:28 AM12/1/21
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:52:29 -0800 (PST), jjvors wrote:

> Well, that tears it. I thought the idea of Perrin killing his wife was
> impossibly stupid and it discouraged me from watching. Now I know it was
> INTENTIONAL and it was to show his issues with aggression sooner. That
> is even more stupid. I will never watch this show now.
>
> Perrin had no aggression issues in the Two Rivers. He acquired them as
> Trollocs killed his family and he had to fight them and Myrrdraahl to
> save his life and the lives of his friends. Then he became a wolf
> brother with wolf instincts. How much more rational do you need?

I think they thought Mat and Perrin were too bland for TV like Merry and
Pippin in LoTR and so they had to spice up those characters. I think it
would have been more faithful to maybe make Perrin appear at first to be
a "simple-minded" blacksmith's apprentic who was actually exceedingly
intelligent but was always afraid to hurt someone with his great size and
so played that role. They could have shown an endearing "gentle giant"
who hated violence and his own possibility for violence until it was
absolutely necessary. This is, of course, literally the opposite that
they went for.

jjvors

Dec 1, 2021, 11:43:16 PM12/1/21
I don't know who they think their audience is. There are millions of readers of the WoT books. This kind of crap turns off not just me but millions of others.

I was looking forward to something DIFFERENT FROM the Game of Throne, not a knock off.

Nicolas George

Dec 3, 2021, 4:38:02 AM12/3/21
jjvors , dans le message
<03de9df5-26dc-4274...@googlegroups.com>, a écrit :
> I don't know who they think their audience is. There are millions of
> readers of the WoT books.

... which is a tiny fraction of the audience of a video series.

jjvors

Dec 3, 2021, 5:35:48 PM12/3/21
Cool. I was not aware any of these 'made for cable' series got past even a million in their ratings. What are the ratings for WoT?

Nicolas George

Dec 4, 2021, 5:22:49 AM12/4/21
jjvors , dans le message
<28c61f75-c807-423b...@googlegroups.com>, a écrit :
> Cool. I was not aware any of these 'made for cable' series got past even a
> million in their ratings. What are the ratings for WoT?

In the US alone, upwards of two millions per episode for the first season,
upwards of ten millions per episode for the last season. I do not know if it
is total or just on the release.

Scott Lurndal

Dec 4, 2021, 1:41:10 PM12/4/21
The first season of WoT hasn't completely aired yet.

You must be confusing WoT with GoT.

Nicolas George

Dec 5, 2021, 5:39:47 AM12/5/21
Scott Lurndal, dans le message <8DOqJ.102763$Wkjc....@fx35.iad>, a
écrit :
> The first season of WoT hasn't completely aired yet.
>
> You must be confusing WoT with GoT.

Indeed. I hadn't considered jjvors would ask such a nonsensical question as
comparing the audience of books that have been out for more than a quarter
of a century with the audience of a TV series that have been out for a
little more than half a month.