WOT book rankings. . .

1 view

J_R_R_...@frodo.net

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

Brentm001 wrote:

> I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an order. I
> know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm interested as to what
> books you found better or more important than the rest. Here is my ranking:
>
> 1. TSR
> 2. TGH
> 3. TEotW
> 4. TFoH
> 5. LoC
> 6. WH
> 7. TDR
> 8. TPoD
> 9. ACoS
>
> Just wonder what your rankings would be.

hahaha you _liked_ TSR hahaha!

Brentm001

Nov 19, 2000, 11:08:47 PM11/19/00

David Wren-Hardin

Nov 19, 2000, 11:25:43 PM11/19/00
Brentm001 wrote:

> I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an order. I
> know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm interested as to what
> books you found better or more important than the rest. Here is my ranking:
>
> 1. TSR
> 2. TGH
> 3. TEotW
> 4. TFoH
> 5. LoC
> 6. WH
> 7. TDR
> 8. TPoD
> 9. ACoS

Well, at the risk of rating a book I just finished, here's where I'd put
them:

1. TSR
2. TDR
3. TGH
4. TEotW
5. TFoH
6. LoC
7. WH
8. TPoD
9. ACoS

There's a big drop from number four to number five. Five through seven
are probably pretty close. Just curious, why does TDR rate so low on
your list?

--
David Wren-Hardin | I have discovered that all human evil
amyg...@home.com | comes from this, man's being unable
| -Blaise Pascal

Matt Lewis

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
>From: bren...@cs.com (Brentm001)
9. TPod     "worst WoT book ever cus no Mat"
8. TEotW    "week, wold be last if path had Mat"
7. ACoS     "neutral but to short"
6. ?TFoH?   "cant decide ranking 6-3"
5. ?WH?     "cant decide ranking 6-3"
4. ?TDR?    "cant decide ranking 6-3"
3. ?TGH?    "cant decide ranking 6-3"
2. TSR      "Battle of the 2 rivers"
1. LoC      "Dumai's Wells baby, Dumai's Wells"

I actually love all the books so this ranking is really hard for me.

Thom Jeffries

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <3A18A85C...@frodo.net>,
"J_R_R_...@frodo.net" <J_R_R_...@frodo.net> wrote:
> hahaha you _liked_ TSR hahaha!

I wonder what you're doing
here _other_ than trolling.

Thom Jeffries

--
spell checker hell is when the ward is
spilled write in the chequer can't tall.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thom Jeffries

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <20001119230847...@ng-fv1.news.cs.com>,

bren...@cs.com (Brentm001) wrote:
> I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an
> order. I know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm
> interested as to what books you found better or more important than
> the rest.

You and too many others.[1]

> Here is my ranking:
>
> 1. TSR
> 2. TGH
> 3. TEotW
> 4. TFoH
> 5. LoC
> 6. WH
> 7. TDR
> 8. TPoD
> 9. ACoS
>
> Just wonder what your rankings would be.

Well, in answer to your thread...

9. Shadow Rising
8. Lord of Chaos
7. Dragon Reborn
6. Winter's Heart
5. Great Hunt
4. Eye of the World
3. Fires of Heaven
2. Crown of Swords
1. Path of Daggers

Please do not ask me to back these up.

Thom Jeffries

[1] Can this thread topic be put in the FAQ
under the "DO NOT START THIS TYPE OF THREAD"
heading yet?

Bill McCarthy

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Thom Jeffries sang a little ditty, and it went something like this...

> In article <20001119230847...@ng-fv1.news.cs.com>,
> bren...@cs.com (Brentm001) wrote:
> > I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an
> > order. I know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm
> > interested as to what books you found better or more important than
> > the rest.
>
> You and too many others.[1]

<snip>

> [1] Can this thread topic be put in the FAQ
> under the "DO NOT START THIS TYPE OF THREAD"
> heading yet?

Yeah, and while we're at it, can we add the "Whoz The Best Fighter!?!?"
thread?
--
Bill McCarthy

Think. Again.

David Chapman

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
"Brentm001" <bren...@cs.com> wrote in message

> I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an
order. I
> know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm interested as
to what
> books you found better or more important than the rest.

TSR, TFoH, TDR, ACoS, LoC, WH, TEoTW, TPoD, TGH.

--
And the thing about failure is
It happens when you're out of time

J_R_R_...@frodo.net

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
that was not meant as a trloo. that was meant as a statement of the
fact that I can't see why so many people like TSR so much. But it's all
personal opinion.

Thom Jeffries wrote:

> In article <3A18A85C...@frodo.net>,
> "J_R_R_...@frodo.net" <J_R_R_...@frodo.net> wrote:
> >

> > Brentm001 wrote:
> > >

> > hahaha you _liked_ TSR hahaha!
> >

> I wonder what you're doing
> here _other_ than trolling.

Joseph

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00

<J_R_R_...@frodo.net> wrote in message

I just don't understand why so many people think ACOS is bad. Sure it was
time compressed, however it has some of the best Chosen scenes in the entire
series.
(and Sammeal is just the coolest badass..)

-krax

David Chapman

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
"Thom Jeffries" <thom_j...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> 9. Shadow Rising
> 8. Lord of Chaos
> 7. Dragon Reborn
> 6. Winter's Heart
> 5. Great Hunt
> 4. Eye of the World
> 3. Fires of Heaven
> 2. Crown of Swords
> 1. Path of Daggers

I reckon y'got them numbers upside down there, bo. Unless you really
think PoD was the best book, of course.

Ryan R.

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00

Brentm001 <bren...@cs.com> wrote in message

1: LoC
2: TEotW
3: tSR
4: tFoH
5: tGH
6: tDR
7: WH
8: aCoS
9: tPoD

--
Ryan R.

Davian

Nov 20, 2000, 8:34:44 PM11/20/00

Brentm001 <bren...@cs.com> wrote in message

1. TSR. - I just love the Perrin returns to the Two Rivers thread.
2. LoC

TEotW, TGH, TDR and TFoH - too close to rank.

7. TPoD - No Mat... (boo hiss)
8. ACoS - Short, glaring errors... this one just seems wrong to me.

Haven't read WH yet. Soon.

Overlord

Nov 20, 2000, 9:06:25 PM11/20/00
In article <UikS5.105715$hD4.26...@news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>,

TWotW, TGH, TDR, TSR, TFoH, LoC, ACoS, PoD, WH or maybe it's WH, PoD,
ACoC, LoC, TFoH, TSR, TDR, TGH, TEotW. Damn it I can't decide! I like
them all! My only pet peeve is that the girls piss me off! Well, in
the beginning they did, but I/they (the girls) have been coming around.

LUSNMYMIND

Nov 21, 2000, 12:24:58 AM11/21/00
I just wanted to say that I am a Robert Jordan newbie, just about to finish the
Eye of the World, and was hoping so much that I would like the next books as
well as this one. Hurray, I can't wait to go buy the next two Friday. Reading
these postings gave me the info I yearned to hear. I already want to read it
all over again!

Happy reading
Rhonda

John S. Novak, III

Nov 21, 2000, 12:56:38 AM11/21/00

This is _really_ the wrong place for you, right now.
Unless you don't mind reading and having the whole thing spoiled.

Right now, only book 9 is spoiler protected, and that's probably going
to phase out over the next week or so as people give up on it.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net
The Humblest Man on the Net

TK421

Nov 21, 2000, 1:56:41 AM11/21/00
Careful, Rhonda. There is a lot of information floating around in
this ng (newsgroup) that could spoil your fun (that's why we call them
spoilers). It's even dangerous to read the subject lines sometimes!

But despite all this.. happy reading!

TSignus

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
My Ranking from Best to Worst:

1) The Dragon Reborn
2) Lord of Chaos
3) The Great Hunt
4) The Fires of Heaven
5) Winter's Heart
6) The Shadow Rising
7) A Crown of Swords
8) The Eye of the World
9) The Path of Daggers

-TS

P Bowles

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
In article <WUgS5.84446$n9.19...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, "Joseph"
<slonim...@home.com> writes:

>I just don't understand why so many people think ACOS is bad.

Absolutely nothing happened. We saw a lot of buildup to meetings we never saw
with the Sea Folk, mostly filled with Nynaeve being sick, we went back over the
same 'no one believes we're Aes Sedai' ground we hoped LoC had finished with,
Egwene and the rebels did nothing, Mat's sequences told us nothing the girls'
couldn't have and were filled with his tiresome whining about them and attempts
to wriggle out of his responsibilities, the Tower witch hunt was set up but did
nothing, when the Bowl finally appeared no one did anything with it, and the
conquest of Illian and fight with Sammael was disposed of in one chapter. It
was a 600-odd page prologue to the events of PoD.

Philip Bowles

P Bowles

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
In article <UikS5.105715$hD4.26...@news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>, "Davian"
<spam.som...@home.com> writes:

>7. TPoD - No Mat... (boo hiss)

Why does this bother people? I don't like Mat and never have, but at least his
pieces used to tell us something about the story. This ended with Couladin's
death - since then whenever we've seen him he's either been leading an
uneventful march with the Band or tagging along with the girls and showing us
nothing their scenes don't. His PoVs are wasted with vast amounts of time
reminiscing about gambling and rather unsophisticated flirting, and his
thoughts are filled with nothing but attempts to evade his responsibilities,
moaning about the girls trying to do the same, and generally complaining about
women (El and Nyn in particular). Had he been in PoD, no one would have
commented on it or mentioned his chapters because they'd have been as empty as
ever, and they would have added nothing but tedious pages which did nothing to
further the story (and for all people claim that PoD was like this all the way
through, for such a short book it was among the most eventful of the recent
offerings, with most of the threads introduced in ACoS resolved or carried
further and action which furthered the Black Tower story, until then nothing
but Taim being unpleasant and the Asha'man being available on demand).

Philip Bowles

LUSNMYMIND

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Thank you John and Tk241, for the warnings-I sorta close one eye while browsing
the subject headers and quickly cruise by the spoilers, lol

Happy reading!
Rhonda

Davian

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

P Bowles <pbo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <UikS5.105715$hD4.26...@news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>,
"Davian"
> <spam.som...@home.com> writes:
>
> >7. TPoD - No Mat... (boo hiss)

Well, you seem to be focusing on how he "advances the storyline". That
isn't important to me. What is important to me is how much I enjoy
reading the chapters in question, and Mat's chapters are always
entertaining for me.

Had he been in PoD, they would have mentioned his chapters. They would
have had to be part of the Seanchan invasion, which would have been
interesting. I was going to say they would be the early WH chapters
from him, which I haven't heard anyone complain about yet, but as I
haven't read that book, I couldn't say.

P Bowles

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
In article <LzyS5.106274$hD4.26...@news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>, "Davian"
<spam.som...@home.com> writes:

>Well, you seem to be focusing on how he "advances the storyline".

Not exclusively. Plenty of pieces don't advance the storyline - Egwene's for a
start. However, while these sequences often do bore me they have rather more
variety. You don't need to read a Mat chapter to know what it says practically
verbatim - his interactions with other characters are limited, his responses to
those few identical to his previous ones(he'll always be worrying about Olver
in rough company, he'll always be annoyed and frightened by Tylin, he'll always
be puzzled by his reaction to Birgitte, he'll always be complaining about
Beslan's idea of fun, he'll always be thinking how much better Thom and Vanin
would be without Elayne around etc.). His own thoughts will always be about
trivia, and again he'll be thinking exactly the same about each - about how
nobles play cards rather than dice, about his knowledge of racing horses, about
the girls bossing him around, about the prettiness of the latest girl he's
paying to smile for him and so on. It's as though Jordan simply copies and
pastes the same chapter over and over again whenever Mat's involved.

>Had he been in PoD, they would have mentioned his chapters. They would
>have had to be part of the Seanchan invasion, which would have been
>interesting.

They'd have been his attempts to run away from the Seanchan grumbling all the
time about where his bloody luck has gone and dice rolling in his head. Jordan
might be generous and describe an exploding street in a novel way, or recycle
the familiar description of insect-like helmets and lacquered armour on a
briefly seen Seanchan column Mat was running away from. There'd have been some
way to put the Seanchan off until an interesting character could have a POV
regarding them, and the only comments about his chapters would have been about
what a let down they were.

I was going to say they would be the early WH chapters
>from him, which I haven't heard anyone complain about yet, but as I
>haven't read that book, I couldn't say.

I haven't either, but I'm guessing his scenes with the DoTNM will involve some
sort of attempt to wriggle out of his destiny and a lot of complaints about how
he doesn't want to marry. No doubt she'll try to get him to do things for her
and he'll moan about bloody women. There isn't much which can make me dread a
major plot development, but Mat might just be something that can.

Philip Bowles

Thom Jeffries

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
In article <t1j7nbs...@corp.supernews.com>,

"David Chapman" <da...@evildeath.madasafish.com> wrote:
> "Thom Jeffries" <thom_j...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>
> > 9. Shadow Rising
> > 8. Lord of Chaos
> > 7. Dragon Reborn
> > 6. Winter's Heart
> > 5. Great Hunt
> > 4. Eye of the World
> > 3. Fires of Heaven
> > 2. Crown of Swords
> > 1. Path of Daggers
>
> I reckon y'got them numbers upside down there, bo. Unless you really
> think PoD was the best book, of course.

NO!
Those are really my choices!
I will stand by them until the end of time!

Thom Jeffries

--
spell checker hell is when the ward is
spilled write in the chequer can't tall.
-Anon

Ben Hiles

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:26:20 GMT, Thom Jeffries
<thom_j...@my-deja.com> wrote:

<snip which book is the best>

>[1] Can this thread topic be put in the FAQ
> under the "DO NOT START THIS TYPE OF THREAD"
> heading yet?

If you are so sick of this thread, why did you take part in it?

Which is the best book, who is the best bad ass in RL, who would play
who in the movie, etc., could all be put in the FAQ, but there is almost no
purpose since there is no answer, and the people that take part in
them usually haven't read the FAQ.

--
Ben Hiles

"Unfortunately, simplicity is a complicated mess of a concept."

Dennis De St Jeor

Nov 28, 2000, 5:06:07 PM11/28/00

"P Bowles" <pbo...@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article <UikS5.105715$hD4.26...@news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>, "Davian"
> <spam.som...@home.com> writes:
>
> >7. TPoD - No Mat... (boo hiss)
>
> Philip Bowles

I agree to some extent, Mat's role has dropped off considerably for the last
couple of books. I think why people like Mat is that his character is
interesting when things are happening and the obvious plot lines he will be
engaged in the future promise to be very interesting as well....I just RJ
would get on with it instead of spending alot of time telling us how Mat
likes to pick up and hang out. Most people want to find out what Mat will
be getting up to with the Seanchan, lose an eye, and the
gunpowder...although we know he wants to invent cannons (maybe muskets but I
don't think so) it's the how when where he will use them stuff that we're
all waiting for...IMHO of course....

OTOH, I find Perrin to be exceedingly dull with the exception of his return
to the Two Rivers. Aside from that, his character has done little and
promises little. So he talks with wolves and has a couple of bitches
arguing over him...big deal. So he's raised the flag of Manetheren...Elayne
will pull him back in, make him a lord of Andor for basically being a friend
of Rands...otherwise she'd send Birgitte over to show them how to REALLY
shoot a bow and collect on a few generations of unpaid taxes...When she is
the Queen of course...I may be wrong and I think this is why the series is
so popular is because there are characters for everyone...There might even
be people here who the Masema is even remotely interesting....Personally I'd
like to see a little more Semirhage and Mesaana....we see nothing about
these two...Are they Chosen or just a couple of fillin characters to give a
nice evil number of 13?

Dennis

P Bowles

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
In article <3a24...@usenet.per.paradox.net.au>, "Dennis De St Jeor"
<den...@outputdsj.com.au> writes:

>OTOH, I find Perrin to be exceedingly dull with the exception of his return
>to the Two Rivers. Aside from that, his character has done little and
>promises little.

He doesn't do all that much, it has to be admitted - though the Two Rivers
story was among the best in the series, and his history with Slayer is
promising. Nor is he surrounded by especially interesting characters at
present; Morgase may be showing herself to be intelligent and capable for the
first time since tEotW, but she's with the ever-so-boring Shaido. Balwer does
little but hand in reports, Elyas and Gaul just go out scouting, the Aes Sedai
don't do much and Sulin hasn't spoken a word since joining him. Despite all
this, however, Perrin as a character is someone I can relate to, with a more
finely honed sense of decency and right than either of the others. That's why I
find his pieces interesting even when not much happens, at least now he's
stopped fretting constantly about what he's doing wrong with Faile. Mat the
hedonist, however, is too one-dimensional to enliven his passages when
nothing's happening - his success as a character, such as it is, relies on what
goes onaround him and makes it that much more obvious when nothing does.

There might even
>be people here who the Masema is even remotely interesting...

Interesting, no, though I'd rather see an eternity of Masema than one more
scene with Sevanna, but his storyline is necessary in the context of the series
and it needs to be resolved.

.Personally I'd
>like to see a little more Semirhage and Mesaana....we see nothing about
>these two...Are they Chosen or just a couple of fillin characters to give a
>nice evil number of 13?

Mesaana's caused the White Tower to split into armed camps and she had Rand put
in a box - we don't see her very much, but she has an effect. Ditto Semirhage,
if she really is where people seem to suppose (I haven't got that far in WH
yet).

Philip Bowles

Eugene Moore

Dec 2, 2000, 9:28:10 PM12/2/00

"Dennis De St Jeor" <den...@outputdsj.com.au> wrote in message

> "P Bowles" <pbo...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > In article <UikS5.105715$hD4.26...@news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>, "Davian"
> > <spam.som...@home.com> writes:

<snip>

> I agree to some extent, Mat's role has dropped off considerably for the
last
> couple of books. I think why people like Mat is that his character is
> interesting when things are happening and the obvious plot lines he will
be
> engaged in the future promise to be very interesting as well....I just RJ
> would get on with it instead of spending alot of time telling us how Mat
> likes to pick up and hang out. Most people want to find out what Mat will
> be getting up to with the Seanchan, lose an eye, and the
> gunpowder...although we know he wants to invent cannons (maybe muskets but
> don't think so) it's the how when where he will use them stuff that we're
> all waiting for...IMHO of course....
<snip>
> Dennis

My first post on this group with liberal trimming.
Minor point, and I don't know if it's been made before - anyone think Mat
will lose an eye tinkering with explosives? His "cannons" may help drive
back/defeat the Seanchan which may be construed as saving the world.

Eugene Moore
...Sig? No thanks.

C. Matt Detzel

Dec 2, 2000, 11:54:47 PM12/2/00
In article <20001121044656...@nso-fz.aol.com>,

On the contrary, a great deal of characterization was included in ACoS.
It is _the_ best book about Mat, the only character _not_ corrupted by
the world around him to this point. Is it just me, or has Perrin's
thread (and purpose, other than being Rand's friend/ally/partner and
ta'veren) become utterly boring and useless?

1. TEotW
2. LoC
3. ACoS
4. TSR
5. WH
6. TDR
7. TGH
8. TFoH
9. TPoD

--
C. Matt Detzel
"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?

P Bowles

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <_ciW5.41724$iy3.9...@news1.rdc1.tn.home.com>, "Eugene Moore"
<dry...@home.com> writes:

Possibly, if he was doing the inventing - but Aludra's already done it all for
him...

Philip Bowles

P Bowles

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <90cjmm$bld$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, C. Matt Detzel <wyv...@liquednet.net>
writes:

>n article <20001121044656...@nso-fz.aol.com>,
> pbo...@aol.com (P Bowles) wrote:
>> In article <WUgS5.84446$n9.19...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, "Joseph"
>> <slonim...@home.com> writes:
>>
>> >I just don't understand why so many people think ACOS is bad.
>>
>> Absolutely nothing happened. We saw a lot of buildup to meetings we
>never saw
>> with the Sea Folk, mostly filled with Nynaeve being sick, we went
>back over the
>> same 'no one believes we're Aes Sedai' ground we hoped LoC had
>finished with,
>> Egwene and the rebels did nothing, Mat's sequences told us nothing
>the girls'
>> couldn't have and were filled with his tiresome whining about them
>and attempts
>> to wriggle out of his responsibilities, the Tower witch hunt was set
>up but did
>> nothing, when the Bowl finally appeared no one did anything with it,
>and the
>> conquest of Illian and fight with Sammael was disposed of in one
>chapter. It
>> was a 600-odd page prologue to the events of PoD.
>>

>On the contrary, a great deal of characterization was included in ACoS.
>It is _the_ best book about Mat,

Only if you enjoy reading a litany of complaints. The problem with giving Mat
nothing to do in his chapters is that RJ is forced to try and build up his
character instead, but Mat's never been given one ACoS just emphasised how
shallow he is.

the only character _not_ corrupted by
>the world around him to this point.

Given his incessant drinking, gambling, womanising and general obsession with
worldly pleasures, one might not notice him being MORE corrupted, but that's
because he's the only one of three who started out that way...

Is it just me, or has Perrin's
>thread (and purpose, other than being Rand's friend/ally/partner and
>ta'veren) become utterly boring and useless?

It's become shorter apart from anything else - except for PoD's loss of Mat,
Perrin has had a lot less to do than the other two since he left the Two Rivers
with his archers. He was only given a new plot in PoD, and there was nothing
wrong with that until the Shaido arrived. My one disappointment with WH so far
is the failure to resolve that. On the other hand, Perrin, unlike Mat, has a
personality and I tend to enjoy reading his PoV enough not to notice the slow
pace.

>1. TEotW
>2. LoC
>3. ACoS
>4. TSR
>5. WH
>6. TDR
>7. TGH
>8. TFoH
>9. TPoD

I'm not sure precisely where to rank WH since I haven't finished it, but for
the rest:

1. TSR
2. TGH
3. TDR
4. TEotW (probably, I can't really decide between this and TDR).
5. FoH (would have been better with less Luca)
6. LoC (would have been a lot better with less SAS).
7. PoD
8. ACoS

So far, I'm enjoying WH as much as some of the better bits in LoC, even if
parts of the plot are rather obvious (who here doesn't think Teslyn will become
the rebels' first Red, and a respected Sitter at that who may know enough about
the 'vileness' to confirm the story about false Dragons?), so I'll probably
rank it above the last two books at least.

Philip Bowles

Eifion Jones

Dec 12, 2000, 6:43:25 PM12/12/00
> > I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an
> order. I
> > know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm interested as
> to what
> > books you found better or more important than the rest.
>
> TSR, TFoH, TDR, ACoS, LoC, WH, TEoTW, TPoD, TGH.
>
> --

TDR-The point where things started clicking
TSR-This was when things started getting REALLY epic
TGH-The more I reread this one, the better it gets, often overlooked, but
one of the best written IMHO
TEoTW-Again well written, well paced, dragged me in
TFoH-Lots of great action but started to slow a bit
LoC-Still grabbed me, with some great scenes but started to really show how
the pace was slowing

All the above books I consider excellent novels. There is a SIGNIFICANT
drop between them and my opinion of the last three.

WH-Started picking up the series a bit after books 7 and 8, but still not up
to the quality of the first books.
ACoS-dissapointing, felt tacked together and really dropped the ball
TPoD-REALLY dissapointing. Nothing happened. Almost made me drop the
series entirely.

Erica Sadun

Dec 12, 2000, 6:58:44 PM12/12/00
My Rankings:

1. Tie between TGH and TDR. Both superb.
3. TSR: First read through I thought it was the best, especially
for the whole Rhuidean sequence and Perrin. Rereads have not stood
up as well. For one, thing Rand does too little in the first section
where he just *waits* around in Tear. For another, we see the genesis
of the wonder girls. Overall, a great book.
4. EotW: Horrible beginning. Got good towards the end.

--IMPORTANT ORDER OF MAGNITUDE LOSS OF QUALITY OCCURS HERE--

5. LoC: It wasn't nearly a great book, but I loved the Nynaeve
healing Logain sequence.
6. FoH: (Not to be confused with Friends of Humanity) It gets a
nod here only because of the Mat-as-General sequence, even with the
off-the-page fight with Couladin. Otherwise...yuck.
7. Winter's Heart: Yawn.
8. Path of Daggers: Disappointing, Disappointing, Disapointing
9. Crown of Swords: Hated it hated it hated it.

Fortunately, rasfwr-j provides more consistent and better
entertainment value for the dollar than more recent RJ books do.

-- E

--
Digital Photography! I Didn't Know You Could Do That...
Sybex Books, September 2000, ISBN 0782128432

Oneiromancer

Dec 21, 2000, 2:49:13 PM12/21/00
Right now I am ranking the books on scenes that made an impression on
me, not necessarily how the rest of the book was.

1. TSR Both Finn scenes with Mat. My favorite scenes of the whole
series.
2. TGH Loved the Portal Stone chapter, and the Heroes coming back,
but the rest of the book was kinda blah for me.
3. TFOH Moiraine and Lanfear duking it out.
4. TDR Mat fighting Gawyn and Galad with his quarterstaff. Probably
my favorite part of the book. If I was just ranking the books as a
whole, this one would be last for me, even considering the most recent
ones.
5. TEOTW Machan Shin (sp?) in the Ways. Totally disturbed me the first
time I read it.
6. LOC Nynaeve Healing Logain. The introduction of Aran'gar and
Osan'gar. Halima trying to use saidin on Mat during the dance in
Salidar (that scene is stuck in my mind for some reason, don't ask me
why).
7. TPOD Rand letting loose with Callandor. Nice and humbling.
8. WH Mat meeting Tuon.
9. ACOS Is there anything memorable about this book? Everything I
think of turns out to be from another book. All I can remember is the
wall falling on Mat, although the gholam scenes were interesting.

All these memories were spur of the moment ones...I read WH a month ago,
but I haven't read the others in a while. I will probably read through
them all again right before the next one comes out, which is what I have
been doing for all of the books except for WH so far.

Rock on,

The Oneiromancer

Mark Anagnostou

Dec 21, 2000, 8:31:16 PM12/21/00

"Oneiromancer" <oneiro...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
Ive been doing the same.Rereading them allover again though i didnt for
WH.Which i just finished.Ive been thinking of waiting till the series is
over before i read any more.I just hated finishing WH and not being able to
read any more.
And to think another 2 year wait for book 10,2 more years for book 11.God,i
was 18 when i first read TEOTW and TGH and ever since ive been waiting for
the next book.

Digby

Dec 22, 2000, 6:17:26 AM12/22/00

"Oneiromancer" <oneiro...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Right now I am ranking the books on scenes that made an impression on
> me, not necessarily how the rest of the book was.
>
> 9. ACOS Is there anything memorable about this book? Everything I
> think of turns out to be from another book. All I can remember is the
> wall falling on Mat, although the gholam scenes were interesting.

Definitely the gholam scene in ACOS on the roof. When Mat sees the gholam
going for Elayne and he says "You can't have her!" I get chills every time I
think of it.

nick

Dec 25, 2000, 9:04:30 PM12/25/00

"Oneiromancer" <oneiro...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

1. TGH -- constant action, arrival of the seanchan, portal stones, alternate
worlds, rand loose as a lord in cairhien, thom comes back, the horn of
valere
2. tSR -- adventures in the waste, flashbacks to the aol, finnland, perrin's
homecoming
3. LoC -- everything gets super-complicated, the little tower, rand whoops
some ass at the end
4. tFoH -- cool battles, the wondergirls loose in tanchico
5. TDR -- lots of mat action, balefire, darkhounds, everyone coming back
together at the end, that one scene with julin and mat climbing the outside
of the stone
6. tEotW -- this is really in a different category, it's style is so much
simpler than the rest of the series, adventures in the ways and the blight,
first cities
7. WH -- finally some more action, major happenings at the end w/ saidin &
shadar logoth, but i had to force myself through the first half of the book
8. CoS - yuck... mat w/ the golem in ebou dar, that's about it..
9. PoD -- i hate the sea folk, i hate faile, i hate perrin. this book
sucked.

Janet Cone

Dec 27, 2000, 3:37:00 AM12/27/00
On 20 Nov 2000 04:08:47 GMT, bren...@cs.com (Brentm001) wrote:

>I was just curious as to how you guys would rate the WOT books in an order. I
>know the point is to take the series as a whole, but I'm interested as to what

>books you found better or more important than the rest. Here is my ranking:
>
>1. TSR
>2. TGH

>3. TEotW
>4. TFoH
>5. LoC
>6. WH
>7. TDR
>8. TPoD
>9. ACoS

1. TDR
2. TGH
3. TSR
4. TEotW
5. WH
6. TFoH
7. PoD
8. ACoS
9. LoC

|\ _,,,---,,_ Janet (Perrin and Peugeot) |
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
The email address in the header is a spamcatcher, if
you want to send me real email instead of spam try
janet(dot)cone(at)inet(dot)net(dot)nz.

Mark Erikson

Dec 27, 2000, 12:40:38 PM12/27/00

Oneiromancer <oneiro...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Right now I am ranking the books on scenes that made an impression on
> me, not necessarily how the rest of the book was.

My ranking is as follows:

LoC: I love this book because there are so many plot threads, all of them
progress and the metaphysics of the whole WOT universe because more complex.
However, these new metaphysics are not big new discoveries, but things that
have been next to obvious from the start. For instance, Ishamael offers to
resurrect Ilyena for LTT in the tEotW prologue.

tEotW: This one I love just because it is so different from the rest. It
was great to go back and read after aCoS came out just to see how innocent
Rand and the others were in it. It's also great to see exactly how much
stuff that isn't revealed until books six and on that is hinted at in this
volume. RJ had the whole WOT concept together even then.

tSR: Because it's the turn in the series. Things start getting revealed
about the AoL, the Aiel become prominent and major character development
starts for everyone - Rand starts his hardening process, Mat leaps from
confused, angry farmboy to general, and Perrin gets thrust into the role of
a Lord.

WH: Major plot movement after all this time. Character development for Rand
and others. More metaphysics become apparent. Mainly enjoyable because
it's like tEotW, tGH and tDR, but Rand is now a powerful and impressive
character, not a confused boy.

tFoH: Mostly for the same reasons as tSR, but they'd lost some of their
impact at this point. The book had a really good atmosphere though.
Interaction between Rand and Aviendha was probably the best part.

tGH: Because it's much like tEotW, and enjoyable to watch the boys develop
more.

tPoD: Nothing much happened, but it was actually fairly good writing on
Jordan's part. How he deftly weaves all the plot threads in and out,
keeping as updated on so many of them. There are pages and pages and pages
of Rand fighting Seanchan with no real conclusions, but I was captivated
none the less.

tDR: Not so good simply because Perrin's entire part never really amounts to
anything. Rand is portrayed as insane and hardly gets a mention. Mat's and
the girls parts are fairly interesting though.

aCoS: The only really good stuff in this book is the revelation of the TP
and the brief POV from Shaidar Haran.

Life _is_ good.

-Mark Erikson