Amazon developing "Ringworld," more sci-fi shows

David

Sep 28, 2017, 9:27:26 PM9/28/17
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/

Amazon Increases Production Spending for 2018, Developing 3 New Sci-Fi
Series
By Debra Birnbaum

The streaming service is developing the following:

• “Lazarus,” based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (“Marvel’s Jessica
Jones”), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has
been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a
feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other
families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a
Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.

Rucka serves as writer and executive producer on “Lazarus,” along with
Michael Lark (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier”) and Angela Cheng
Caplan.

• “Snow Crash,” which is based on Neal Stephenson’s cult novel, is a
one-hour science fiction drama set in futuristic America. In reality,
Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza
Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong
into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers
everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a
search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain.

A co-production with Paramount Television, “Snow Crash” is executive
produced by Joe Cornish (“Ant-Man”) and Frank Marshall (“Back to the
Future”).

• “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s
sci-fi book series from the 70’s. It tells the story of Louis Gridley
Wu, a bored man celebrating his 200th birthday in a
technologically-advanced, future Earth. Upon being offered one of the
open positions on a voyage, Louis joins a young woman and two aliens
to explore Ringworld, the remote artificial ring beyond “Known Space.”

shawn

Sep 28, 2017, 10:07:46 PM9/28/17
While I like the idea of seeing these brought to life in video form I
just can't see anyone doing them justice. Doesn't matter if Amazon
wants to throw big bucks at them they just won't be as good as the
books.

anim8rfsk

Sep 28, 2017, 10:50:06 PM9/28/17
In article <d98rsc5bs9834t3o0...@4ax.com>,
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-12
YES
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yessity yes YES!!!!!!

The decade long Syfy option had bee winding down and we've been so
hoping something, something else was going to happen with the property.

Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

And that's the *first* press release that got the storyline right!!!!

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

BTR1701

Sep 28, 2017, 11:14:08 PM9/28/17
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> LAZARUS - based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (Marvel's JESSICA
> JONES), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has
> been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a
> feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other
> families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a
> Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.

Oh, for gawd's sake. More literal decimation of the English language.

If it's one person, it's not a squad, by definition.

J. Clarke

Sep 28, 2017, 11:22:15 PM9/28/17
Unless he can split himself into a dozen or so people.

Obveeus

Sep 28, 2017, 11:31:24 PM9/28/17

On 9/28/2017 9:27 PM, David wrote:
> http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/
>
> Amazon Increases Production Spending for 2018, Developing 3 New Sci-Fi

> • “Lazarus,” based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (“Marvel’s Jessica
> Jones”), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has
> been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a
> feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other
> families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a
> Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.

If I was the head of one of the families, I'd free up the budget and
have a two man kill squad. None of the other families would stand a chance.

> • “Snow Crash,” which is based on Neal Stephenson’s cult novel, is a
> one-hour science fiction drama set in futuristic America. In reality,
> Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza
> Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong
> into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers
> everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a
> search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain.

Is this similar to TRON?

> • “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s
> sci-fi book series from the 70’s.

Anim8r should be happy.

anim8rfsk

Sep 28, 2017, 11:32:20 PM9/28/17
In article <atropos-011679...@news.giganews.com>,
Maybe they meant a squad formed to kill only one person?

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2017, 12:02:09 AM9/29/17
On 9/28/2017 8:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <atropos-011679...@news.giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <d98rsc5bs9834t3o0...@4ax.com>,
>> David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> LAZARUS - based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (Marvel's JESSICA
>>> JONES), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has
>>> been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a
>>> feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other
>>> families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a
>>> Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.
>>
>> Oh, for gawd's sake. More literal decimation of the English language.
>>
>> If it's one person, it's not a squad, by definition.
>
> Maybe they meant a squad formed to kill only one person?

If it takes an entire trained squad to kill that one person, wouldn't
you be better off just hiring the one person?

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2017, 12:29:31 AM9/29/17
In article <oqkeqb$7sd$5...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
It sounds like something Charlie Harper would write a theme song for.

> > • “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s
> > sci-fi book series from the 70’s.
>
> Anim8r should be happy.

I'm doing my Snoopy dance!

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2017, 12:29:53 AM9/29/17
In article <oqkgk0$iup$1...@dont-email.me>,
damn

Jerry Brown

Sep 29, 2017, 4:00:08 AM9/29/17
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 22:07:44 -0400, shawn
<nanof...@notformailgmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 21:27:23 -0400, David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/

>>• “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s
>>sci-fi book series from the 70’s. It tells the story of Louis Gridley
>>Wu, a bored man celebrating his 200th birthday in a
>>technologically-advanced, future Earth. Upon being offered one of the
>>open positions on a voyage, Louis joins a young woman and two aliens
>>to explore Ringworld, the remote artificial ring beyond “Known Space.”
>
>While I like the idea of seeing these brought to life in video form I
>just can't see anyone doing them justice. Doesn't matter if Amazon
>wants to throw big bucks at them they just won't be as good as the
>books.

I'll give it a chance. I recall the dark days of the TV adaptation of
Varley's "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" which ditched the entire 8
Worlds background and added in a plot to overthrow an oppressive
government. I survived that, so I can survive this.

I predict many long flamewars over the casting of Louis and whether
Nessus should be animatronic or CGI.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Obveeus

Sep 29, 2017, 8:18:39 AM9/29/17

On 9/29/2017 12:29 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqkeqb$7sd$5...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/28/2017 9:27 PM, David wrote:
>>> http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-
>>> 1202576048/
>>>
>>> Amazon Increases Production Spending for 2018, Developing 3 New Sci-Fi
>>
>>> • “Lazarus,†based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (“Marvel’s Jessica
>>> Jones†), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has
>>> been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a
>>> feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other
>>> families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a
>>> Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.
>>
>> If I was the head of one of the families, I'd free up the budget and
>> have a two man kill squad. None of the other families would stand a chance.
>>
>>> • “Snow Crash,†which is based on Neal Stephenson’s cult novel, is a
>>> one-hour science fiction drama set in futuristic America. In reality,
>>> Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza
>>> Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong
>>> into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers
>>> everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a
>>> search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain.
>>
>> Is this similar to TRON?
>
> It sounds like something Charlie Harper would write a theme song for.
>

>>> • “Ringworld,†a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s
>>> sci-fi book series from the 70’s.
>>
>> Anim8r should be happy.
>
> I'm doing my Snoopy dance!

I'm less thrilled as it sort of sounds like this might just end up being
a cheap knockoff of Syfy series like THE EXPANSE.

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2017, 10:47:50 AM9/29/17
In article <oqldmu$ahv$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 12:29 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <oqkeqb$7sd$5...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:

> >> If I was the head of one of the families, I'd free up the budget and
> >> have a two man kill squad. None of the other families would stand a
> >> chance.

> >> Is this similar to TRON?
> >
> > It sounds like something Charlie Harper would write a theme song for.

> >> Anim8r should be happy.
> >
> > I'm doing my Snoopy dance!
>
> I'm less thrilled as it sort of sounds like this might just end up being
> a cheap knockoff of Syfy series like THE EXPANSE.

I hate you.

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2017, 10:53:20 AM9/29/17
In article <cturscdqembu1so5o...@jwbrown.co.uk>,
The casting wars over Louis (and to a lesser extent Teela) has been
going on for years, and has begun anew today. Invariably somebody will
insist on Chow Yun Fat, simply on Louis' last name, despite the fact
that he's totally wrong for the part. And then somebody will insist on
Drew Barrymore for Teela, a 6' tall 19 year old raven haired beauty,
because they want a blonde. I at least understand where Fat comes from.
... about the only agreement ever reached is Michael Dorn as the voice
of Speaker.

Obveeus

Sep 29, 2017, 11:14:44 AM9/29/17

On 9/29/2017 10:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqldmu$ahv$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/2017 12:29 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> It sounds like something Charlie Harper would write a theme song for.

>>> I'm doing my Snoopy dance!
>>
>> I'm less thrilled as it sort of sounds like this might just end up being
>> a cheap knockoff of Syfy series like THE EXPANSE.
>
> I hate you.

hee hee

Barry Margolin

Sep 29, 2017, 11:24:46 AM9/29/17
In article <atropos-011679...@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

It's a fucking metaphor. It means he's as effective as a squad.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Obveeus

Sep 29, 2017, 11:48:37 AM9/29/17
The squad with two backs?

Shooting one's squad?

Doc O'Leary

Sep 29, 2017, 12:22:03 PM9/29/17
For your reference, records indicate that
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> If it takes an entire trained squad to kill that one person, wouldn't
> you be better off just hiring the one person?

Modern management theory (i.e., short term) says no. Survival of the
fittest doesn’t benefit the weaker multitude, so the person doing the
hiring is always inclined to hire less capable workers, even if they
have to hire more of them to get the job done. The leader of the pack
doesn’t want a better leader of the pack, they want a new goon.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2017, 1:24:31 PM9/29/17
I don't agree that The Expanse is a cheap knockoff. (Which obviously
means someone managed to sneak it around B. Hammer to get it greenlit.)

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2017, 1:31:12 PM9/29/17
On 9/29/2017 9:22 AM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
> For your reference, records indicate that
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> If it takes an entire trained squad to kill that one person, wouldn't
>> you be better off just hiring the one person?
>
> Modern management theory (i.e., short term) says no. Survival of the
> fittest doesn’t benefit the weaker multitude, so the person doing the
> hiring is always inclined to hire less capable workers, even if they
> have to hire more of them to get the job done. The leader of the pack
> doesn’t want a better leader of the pack, they want a new goon.

But modern management theory also says to hire less people than you
really need and just force them to work more. Can't get any "less" than
just 1 and still get any work done. :P

Jim G.

Sep 29, 2017, 2:26:46 PM9/29/17
David sent the following on 09/28/2017 at 08:27 PM:
> http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/
>
> Amazon Increases Production Spending for 2018, Developing 3 New Sci-Fi
> Series
> By Debra Birnbaum
>
> The streaming service is developing the following:
>
> • “Lazarus,” based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (“Marvel’s Jessica
> Jones”), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has
> been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a
> feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other
> families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a
> Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.
>
> Rucka serves as writer and executive producer on “Lazarus,” along with
> Michael Lark (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier”) and Angela Cheng
> Caplan.

I'm so there. I love Rucka's work and currently read both his LAZARUS
and BLACK MAGICK books. And he recently finished a 25-issue run on
WONDER WOMAN that will join the classics. I like that he's big on strong
female protagonists (like Forever Carlyle and Rowan Black in LAZARUS and
BLACK MAGICK respectively), along with the fact that he won't tolerate
cover artists who sex up those protagonists too much (as one WW cover
artist learned not too long ago when Rucka used his clout in this regard.)

> • “Snow Crash,” which is based on Neal Stephenson’s cult novel, is a
> one-hour science fiction drama set in futuristic America. In reality,
> Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza
> Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong
> into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers
> everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a
> search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain.
>
> A co-production with Paramount Television, “Snow Crash” is executive
> produced by Joe Cornish (“Ant-Man”) and Frank Marshall (“Back to the
> Future”).

I'm so there again. Love Stephenson, loved SNOW CRASH. SC and
CRYPTONOMICON are classics. (I really don't think that I'm overusing
that word at the moment.)

> • “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s
> sci-fi book series from the 70’s. It tells the story of Louis Gridley
> Wu, a bored man celebrating his 200th birthday in a
> technologically-advanced, future Earth. Upon being offered one of the
> open positions on a voyage, Louis joins a young woman and two aliens
> to explore Ringworld, the remote artificial ring beyond “Known Space.”

Damn. Three for three. I'm loving you, Amazon.

"I intend to save her beautiful, stubborn ass. And if you keep being
weird about this, I intend to poke you in the lung hole." -- D'avin
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2017, 4:34:06 PM9/29/17
In article <oqlvk7$m02$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 8:14 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> >

> > On 9/29/2017 10:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> >> I hate you.
> >
> > hee hee
>
> I don't agree that The Expanse is a cheap knockoff. (Which obviously
> means someone managed to sneak it around B. Hammer to get it greenlit.)

I never said The Expanse was cheap.

Your Name

Sep 29, 2017, 4:51:23 PM9/29/17
On 2017-09-29 02:07:44 +0000, shawn said:

> While I like the idea of seeing these brought to life in video form I
> just can't see anyone doing them justice. Doesn't matter if Amazon
> wants to throw big bucks at them they just won't be as good as the
> books.

They rarely are thanks to the egotistical morons in Hollyweird who
insist on making changes to suit themselves, chop bits out, or add
superfluous crap to make it more "dramatic" ... not to mention often
awful casting choices. :-(

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2017, 5:42:26 PM9/29/17
On 9/29/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqlvk7$m02$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> hee hee
>>
>> I don't agree that The Expanse is a cheap knockoff. (Which obviously
>> means someone managed to sneak it around B. Hammer to get it greenlit.)
>
> I never said The Expanse was cheap.

Obveeus did.

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2017, 6:15:32 PM9/29/17
In article <oqmeo0$p9$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <oqlvk7$m02$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> I don't agree that The Expanse is a cheap knockoff. (Which obviously
> >> means someone managed to sneak it around B. Hammer to get it greenlit.)
> >
> > I never said The Expanse was cheap.
> >
> Obveeus did.

Well then there you go!

FPP

Sep 29, 2017, 6:28:09 PM9/29/17
There are no metaphors in Thanny's Dojo.

--
White House: "Don't call it Trumpcare." 3-8-17
"How bad does something have to be, that Donald Trump doesn't want to

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2017, 7:09:56 PM9/29/17
On 9/29/2017 3:15 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqmeo0$p9$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> I never said The Expanse was cheap.
>>>
>> Obveeus did.
>
> Well then there you go!

But I'm still sitting right here!

Obveeus

Sep 29, 2017, 11:09:41 PM9/29/17
No I didn't. I said that the Amazon RINGWORLD series would just be a

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2017, 11:40:20 PM9/29/17
There you go again! Calling 'The Expanse' a cheap knockoff!!

Obveeus

Sep 30, 2017, 12:06:32 AM9/30/17
Off to the dungeon with you!

anim8rfsk

Sep 30, 2017, 3:44:26 AM9/30/17
In article <oqn1tk$76f$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 5:42 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> > On 9/29/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> >> I never said The Expanse was cheap.
> >>
> > Obveeus did.
>
> No I didn't. I said that the Amazon RINGWORLD series would just be a
> cheap knockoff of Syfy series like THE EXPANSE.

I hate you.

anim8rfsk

Sep 30, 2017, 4:02:20 AM9/30/17
In article <oqn587$lrc$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 11:40 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> >> No I didn't.� I said that the Amazon RINGWORLD series would just be a
> >> cheap knockoff of Syfy series like THE EXPANSE.
> >>
> > There you go again!� Calling 'The Expanse' a cheap knockoff!!
>
> Off to the dungeon with you!

With the cheap knocker offers behind The Expanse.

T987654321

Sep 30, 2017, 4:34:43 AM9/30/17
I see much audiance confusion thinking it's a Halo flick.

Doc O'Leary

Sep 30, 2017, 12:20:57 PM9/30/17
For your reference, records indicate that
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 9:22 AM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
> > For your reference, records indicate that
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> >> If it takes an entire trained squad to kill that one person, wouldn't
> >> you be better off just hiring the one person?
> >
> > Modern management theory (i.e., short term) says no. Survival of the
> > fittest doesn’t benefit the weaker multitude, so the person doing the
> > hiring is always inclined to hire less capable workers, even if they
> > have to hire more of them to get the job done. The leader of the pack
> > doesn’t want a better leader of the pack, they want a new goon.
> >
> But modern management theory also says to hire less people than you
> really need and just force them to work more. Can't get any "less" than
> just 1 and still get any work done. :P

But with just one person, you don’t have the power to *fire* them and
still get any work done. Plus, if they really know what they’re doing,
one might even be too much for the task at hand. A super-soldier is a
waste if you just want to collect protection money from a bunch of
shopkeepers.

No, the “better” solution is to keep goons fighting against goons (and
superheroes battling supervillains). That allows the wars to
perpetuate, which is really all that warlords want. Give them someone
who can end the wars and they’d have no idea what to do with themselves.

Mike Van Pelt

Oct 2, 2017, 7:45:48 PM10/2/17
Jerry Brown <je...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>I predict many long flamewars over the casting of Louis and whether
>Nessus should be animatronic or CGI.

Well, there's at least one person who can put on a Puppeteer suit
and walk in it, not entirely unconvincingly.

Or could. In 1984. For long enough to walk across the stage
at Worldcon. Maybe not so much now. I don't know who it was
in that suit, but ... quite impressive, at least from where I
was sitting.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane