Spike TV's "Red Mars" on hold as showrunner exits

David

Mar 25, 2016, 6:28:23 PM3/25/16
http://deadline.com/2016/03/red-mars-pushed-spike-tv-showrunner-exits-1201726651/

Spike TV ‘Red Mars’ Series On Pause After Showrunner Exits
by Nellie Andreeva

Spike TV has pushed the pause button on Red Mars, its 10-episode
straight-to-series drama adaptations of Kim Stanley Robinson’s
best-selling “hard” science-fiction trilogy. The move comes as
executive producer/showrunner Peter Noah has exited the project,
produced by Skydance TV.

“We will continue to develop Red Mars with Skydance,” a spokesman for
Spike TV said in a statement to Deadline. “The Red Mars trilogy is one
of the most beloved, modern science fiction properties, in part
because of its tremendous scope and ambition. We are pausing to
ensure we get the script right and to deliver fans what they want– a
fantastic show that fully captures the spirit of these wonderful
books.”

Jim G.

Mar 26, 2016, 4:23:44 PM3/26/16
David sent the following on 03/25/2016 at 05:28 PM:
> The move comes as
> executive producer/showrunner Peter Noah has exited the project,
> produced by Skydance TV.
>
> “We will continue to develop Red Mars with Skydance,” a spokesman for
> Spike TV said in a statement to Deadline. “The Red Mars trilogy is one
> of the most beloved, modern science fiction properties, in part
> because of its tremendous scope and ambition. We are pausing to
> ensure we get the script right and to deliver fans what they want– a
> fantastic show that fully captures the spirit of these wonderful
> books.”

As eulogies go, I've heard worse.

“Were we the only ones that got the 'no weapons' memo?” – Lance Hunter,
MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

anim8rfsk

Mar 26, 2016, 5:05:36 PM3/26/16
In article <nd6quf$id8$6...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> David sent the following on 03/25/2016 at 05:28 PM:
> > The move comes as
> > executive producer/showrunner Peter Noah has exited the project,
> > produced by Skydance TV.
> >
> > ³We will continue to develop Red Mars with Skydance,² a spokesman for
> > Spike TV said in a statement to Deadline. ³The Red Mars trilogy is one
> > of the most beloved, modern science fiction properties, in part
> > because of its tremendous scope and ambition. We are pausing to
> > ensure we get the script right and to deliver fans what they want­ a
> > fantastic show that fully captures the spirit of these wonderful
> > books.²
>
> As eulogies go, I've heard worse.

Anything that reduces JMS' involvement can only be a good thing; I'd
rather they didn't do it than do that sick creep's version.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 6, 2016, 8:26:43 PM4/6/16
On 4/6/2016 1:23 PM, Mike K. wrote:
> anim8rfsk wrote on 2016-03-26 21:05 +0000:
>> Anything that reduces JMS' involvement can only be a good thing; I'd
>> rather they didn't do it than do that sick creep's version.
>
> JMS as in J. Michael Straczynski of BABYLON 5 fame? I'm not a huge fan
> of his style of writing, but didn't have him down as a sick creep. What
> have I missed?

Anim does not like some of the things he did when he was writing for the
Spider-Man comic.

--
Privacy IS Security

David Johnston

Apr 6, 2016, 8:31:54 PM4/6/16
Even though some of them were the product of editorial interference.

David Johnston

Apr 7, 2016, 4:20:41 AM4/7/16
On 4/7/2016 1:35 AM, Mike K. wrote:
> David Johnston wrote on 2016-04-07 00:31 +0000:
>>> Anim does not like some of the things he did when he was writing for
>>> the Spider-Man comic.
>>
>> Even though some of them were the product of editorial interference.
>
> What did he do when he was writing SPIDER-MAN? I'm way behind on my
> comix reading --- last time I was up-to-date, the Ultimate universe was
> still the new hotness...

He wanted to introduce a Gwen Stacy lookalike who would actually be the
real Gwen Stacy's daughter with Peter Parker. But the editor wouldn't
allow Peter Parker to have a child, even a speed-grown one, so instead
the father was Norman Osborn. Why Norman Osborn's son and her twin
brother was a Peter Parker lookalike is a mystery for the ages. It was
a mess. He should have abandoned the idea when it got the first
thumbs-down.

anim8rfsk

Apr 8, 2016, 11:54:58 AM4/8/16
In article <ne8g80$urd$3...@dont-email.me>, "Mike K." <mi...@koralatov.com>
wrote:

> David Johnston wrote on 2016-04-07 08:20 +0000:
> > He wanted to introduce a Gwen Stacy lookalike who would actually be
> > the real Gwen Stacy's daughter with Peter Parker. But the editor
> > wouldn't allow Peter Parker to have a child, even a speed-grown one,
> > so instead the father was Norman Osborn. Why Norman Osborn's son and
> > her twin brother was a Peter Parker lookalike is a mystery for the
> > ages. It was a mess. He should have abandoned the idea when it got
> > the first thumbs-down.
>
> Just reading all that made me all kinds of sad and confused. Not really
> sure what the point of the Gwen Stacy lookalike was before the editorail
> interference, but after that, it makes no sense. Poor JMS has perhaps
> finally lost his marbles...

What David said. Where I really lost respect for JMS was in the various
stories he told in the aftermath. He was claiming credit until he
realized how everybody hated it, then suddenly his story became that it
was forced on him, then he said that he knew BRAND NEW DAY was coming
and he always assumed he'd be able to retcon it first (I have no idea
how) so he wrote it and then they betrayed him by not letting him retcon
the retcon, then he claimed huge hunks were rewritten by the editor so
he didn't write it at all ...

As you say, the initial concept makes no sense. Who cares if Peter
Parker has force grown twin kids that look just like him and Gwen?

There's a reveal where we see the boy's face for the first time, and ...
well the art is so bad it's hard to be sure WHO he is. It's obviously
not Norman (he doesn't have that Osborn hair!) so if he's anybody, he's
Peter, but ... again, as David said, why would he possibly look like
Peter? JMS went out of his way to say that Peter and Gwen never made
the sign of the beast with two backs, and MJ refused to tell Peter if
Gwen did it with anybody else (I always assumed she'd done it with
Harry, which makes her doing it with his father even creepier, and why
would MJ refuse to tell Peter if Gwen had been fooling around with other
guys as well unless she had?). I was sure they'd say that Norman had
'Goblin Magnetism' powers towards women or something, making him
irresistible, and effectively making it rape and Gwen a victim, but JMS
made it clear that he'd just made Gwen into a slut (and a cuckolding one
at that). He also dug in on the timeline, insisting that there was a
big enough gap for her to have force grown kids while in England, when
in fact she was in the Savage Land running around in a bikini.

https://rokfogo.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/gog-2.jpeg

Then there's Peter making out with the Gwen lookalike while he still
thinks she might be his kid! (And no matter whose kid she is, he knows
she's only chronologically like 3 years old!) The entire story line
makes NO sense if Parker's the father, and editorial would have had to
have changed a LOT more than the results of the DNA test to make it turn
out the way it did.

Oh, and JMS claims that the reason Peter couldn't be the father is
because it would make Peter too old. Huh? How does Gwen being the
mother not make him the same age?

And JMS retconned "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" by claiming that Norman
killed Gwen to have the kids all to himself, and that it had nothing to
do with her being The Spider Squeeze. Um ... so then why did any of
that entire storyline go down the way it did?

Oh, and there was the whole 'Peter defiles Gwen's grave to get a DNA
sample' which is just wrong in *so* many ways, not the least of which
is, they'd run DNA tests years before to prove that the clones were
really her, so the damn stuff is on record.

The Stacy Twins survived the BRAND NEW DAY reboot, but I have no idea if
they exist in the current restart, where Peter is Tony Stark.

Anyway, that's why I consider JMS a 'sick creep' and have no interest in
anything else he writes, especially if he's playing in somebody else's
playground.

J. Clarke

Apr 13, 2016, 4:58:47 AM4/13/16
In article <anim8rfsk-52335...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net says...
If that makes him a "sick creep" you need to meet some real sick creeps.