Bones Season 3 Question - Spoilers for Gormogon & Zack Addy

Mac Breck

Dec 30, 2008, 9:53:23 AM12/30/08
We have the old, toothless Gormogon in the nursing home (the hissing guy
in the wheelchair that looks like Abe Vigoda.), the active, current
Gormogon and the Gormogon apprentice (maybe more than one).

In the Season 3 episode "The Knight on the Grid," at the very end, the
lobbyist is killed by someone who looks a lot like *Dr. Sweets* ( *NOT*
Zack Addy).

In "The Pain in the Heart," Zack admits to killing the lobbyist, and to
being the Gormogon apprentice. Also, the active, current Gormogon is
killed by Booth when the FBI raids the active, current Gormogon's home,
on information supplied by Zack to Brenner to Booth.

As of "The Pain in the Heart" (Season 3 finale) the Gormogon case is
supposedly closed, and through the first four episodes of Season 4 (on
the Season 3 DVD set as a bonus), nothing is mentioned about the
Gormogon case still being open.

1. Zack did not kill the lobbyist. That killer waiting in the closet
did NOT look like Zack, completely wrong face.

2. The current active Gormogon, killed by Booth, did not kill the
lobbyist, again completely wrong face.

3. The only one who actually looks like the guy who killed the lobbyist,
is Dr. Sweets, the FBI psychologist who is assigned to Brenner and
Booth, and apparently on the team, the killer in their midst.

The questions I have for people who are regular "Bones" watchers, who
have seen all of the Bones episodes *including* the Season 4 episodes
*after* "The Finger in the Nest" is:

IS the Gormogon case actually closed? The Gormogon apprentice, or the
at least, sole Gormogon apprentice *couldn't have been* Zack. The guy
who killed the lobbyist was NOT Zack. Cam suspected Dr. Sweets, and
doesn't, now, (apparently) as of "The Finger in the Nest," but I can't
shake the feeling that it IS Dr. Sweets, and that he's the Gormogon
apprentice that has or will become the next active, current Gormogon.

Any thoughts?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

Actually, Galen was wrong. TNT killed 99% of all hope for Crusade in
1999. Then, Warner Brothers and The Sci-Fi Channel came along and
killed the remaining 1% sometime in 2001.

Remysun

Dec 30, 2008, 10:07:30 AM12/30/08
Case closed, Zack's the apprentice but the confession is false. See
Early Season 4 when he confronts Sweets.

EGK

Dec 30, 2008, 1:03:18 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:53:23 -0500, "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The questions I have for people who are regular "Bones" watchers, who
>have seen all of the Bones episodes *including* the Season 4 episodes
>*after* "The Finger in the Nest" is:
>
>IS the Gormogon case actually closed? The Gormogon apprentice, or the
>at least, sole Gormogon apprentice *couldn't have been* Zack. The guy
>who killed the lobbyist was NOT Zack. Cam suspected Dr. Sweets, and
>doesn't, now, (apparently) as of "The Finger in the Nest," but I can't
>shake the feeling that it IS Dr. Sweets, and that he's the Gormogon
>apprentice that has or will become the next active, current Gormogon.
>
>Any thoughts?

The only answer I can give is that this story arc is one of the most f'd up
arcs I've ever seen on any show. Yeah, you can partially blame it on the
writer's strike but they wrote this like they were on strike all season.

As was pointed out when it occurred, Zack never fit the profile either. Let
alone looked like the figure they showed.

They're already trying to mitigate this colossal fuckup in season 4 with
scenes of Zack in the mental institution.

suzee

Dec 30, 2008, 1:09:33 PM12/30/08

I think they might have been going with Sweets as the killer earlier,
but when they decided to let Zack's character go, came up with him as
the new apprentice instead. Yeah, they dropped it on this SL and when
they picked up all the cards, they were in totally different order.

Remysun

Dec 30, 2008, 1:33:45 PM12/30/08
On Dec 30, 1:09 pm, suzee <su...@imbris.com> wrote:

> I think they might have been going with Sweets as the killer earlier,
> but when they decided to let Zack's character go, came up with him as
> the new apprentice instead. Yeah, they dropped it on this SL and when
> they picked up all the cards, they were in totally different order.

It's the second time Eric Millegan has left. Is he working on other
stuff, musicals perhaps?

erilar

Dec 30, 2008, 2:16:51 PM12/30/08
In article <i-mdndi9hLxlqMfU...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The questions I have for people who are regular "Bones" watchers, who
> have seen all of the Bones episodes *including* the Season 4 episodes
> *after* "The Finger in the Nest" is:
>
> IS the Gormogon case actually closed? The Gormogon apprentice, or the
> at least, sole Gormogon apprentice *couldn't have been* Zack. The guy
> who killed the lobbyist was NOT Zack. Cam suspected Dr. Sweets, and
> doesn't, now, (apparently) as of "The Finger in the Nest," but I can't
> shake the feeling that it IS Dr. Sweets, and that he's the Gormogon
> apprentice that has or will become the next active, current Gormogon.
>
> Any thoughts?

I would LOVE to have it be Sweets and free Zack to rejoin the team
instead of all the awful grad student fill-ins, but don't believe it
will ever happen.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Rob Jensen

Dec 30, 2008, 2:39:14 PM12/30/08

Well, Milligan didn't actually leave a second time. That was a guest
appearance and he's supposed to be in at least a couple more in the
second half of the season.

-- Rob

Rob Jensen

Dec 30, 2008, 2:39:14 PM12/30/08
<macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>IS the Gormogon case actually closed? The Gormogon apprentice, or the
>at least, sole Gormogon apprentice *couldn't have been* Zack. The guy
>who killed the lobbyist was NOT Zack. Cam suspected Dr. Sweets, and
>doesn't, now, (apparently) as of "The Finger in the Nest," but I can't
>shake the feeling that it IS Dr. Sweets, and that he's the Gormogon
>apprentice that has or will become the next active, current Gormogon.
>
>Any thoughts?

The Gormogon case is currently closed as far as I can tell because,
well, Zack's been convicted of it and sentenced to a loony bin.
However, Zack is enough of a savant that even given the times where
his logic fails him (uh, Gormagon), it seems to me that if he
suspected Sweets of being The Apprentice he probably *wouldn't* have
told Sweets his suspicions *or* to keep it quiet from Brennan and
Booth. Given how well that Sweets does fit the profile (height,
social deficiencies, etc.), letting the killer know that you're onto
him would make Zack too good a target for Sweets -- if Sweets were the
killer. And Sweets would be book-smarts enough to clean up his trail
in one way or another if he were the Apprentice and if he had killed
Zack.

While I'm keeping an open mind about Sweets being a possibility (I
can't totally rule him out), it seems to me that there would be too
many conditions regarding a war of the minds between a Killer!Sweets
and Zack for Sweets to be the Apprentice. I still think that Sweets
is most likely a red herring.

Now, given that it only makes sense for the Apprentice to be an
insider at the Jeffersonian, it's entirely possible and plausible (and
I almost want to say probable) that the Apprentice is literally one of
the rotating new Apprentices of Brennan. Perhaps Brennan's
fangirl/Sweets's girlfriend, even. Yes, she has many of the same
issues of physical likelihood as Zack does (smaller than the killer,
etc.), but she's clearly obsessed on Brennan and could be an
obsessive-compulsive savant that somehow faked all of the details.
Yes, it's likely that if Gormagon's Apprentice really is one of
Brennan's new Assistants (ie: Apprentices), then Sweets's girlfriend
(Daisy?) is likely yet another red herring, but she's the only
Apprentice that I can think of right now besides Michael Badalucco --
and he's clearly *not* the Apprentice.

-- Rob -- adds, "It's too bad that under the circumstances and in
retrospect, Gormagon didn't look anything like Donald Trump."

Anim8rFSK

Dec 30, 2008, 3:26:40 PM12/30/08
In article <gjdo0t$34q$1...@news.motzarella.org>, suzee <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:

Yeah, Sweets never has made any sense as a character, except to have
turned out to be a killer.

--
Bad Reboot's 'Crap Trek' 2009: "No Shat, No Show"

Mac Breck

Dec 30, 2008, 4:28:48 PM12/30/08
suzee wrote:
> EGK wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:53:23 -0500, "Mac Breck"
>> <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> The questions I have for people who are regular "Bones" watchers,
>>> who have seen all of the Bones episodes *including* the Season 4
>>> episodes *after* "The Finger in the Nest" is:
>>>
>>> IS the Gormogon case actually closed? The Gormogon apprentice, or
>>> the at least, sole Gormogon apprentice *couldn't have been* Zack.
>>> The guy who killed the lobbyist was NOT Zack. Cam suspected Dr.
>>> Sweets, and doesn't, now, (apparently) as of "The Finger in the
>>> Nest," but I can't shake the feeling that it IS Dr. Sweets, and
>>> that he's the Gormogon apprentice that has or will become the next
>>> active, current Gormogon.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> The only answer I can give is that this story arc is one of the most
>> f'd up arcs I've ever seen on any show. Yeah, you can partially
>> blame it on the writer's strike but they wrote this like they were
>> on strike all season.
>>
>> As was pointed out when it occurred, Zack never fit the profile
>> either. Let alone looked like the figure they showed.
>>
>> They're already trying to mitigate this colossal fuckup in season 4
>> with scenes of Zack in the mental institution.

Are they only digging themselves a deeper hole?

> I think they might have been going with Sweets as the killer earlier,
> but when they decided to let Zack's character go, came up with him as
> the new apprentice instead.

And that was just WRONG. They could have let Zack's character go
without making him the apprentice. Zack being the apprentice just
doesn't fit. Sweets fits. That guy gives me the creeps and sets off
my spidey sense BIG TIME. I couldn't BELIEVE it when Booth left Parker
with Sweets. Unbelievable.

Why'd they bring Zack back if he was only going to go again. Instead of
making him the apprentice to Gormogon, which is completely out of
character for Zack, why not make him recurring, going on sabbaticals to
see more of the world, and occasionally coming back and helping out on
cases?

> Yeah, they dropped it on this SL and when
> they picked up all the cards, they were in totally different order.

That sums it up, a completely screwed up storyline, where the writers
weren't true to the characters. Sweets isn't a red herring; he's just a
writing MISTAKE.

Mac Breck

Dec 30, 2008, 4:31:34 PM12/30/08

Are they only digging themselves a deeper hole?

EGK

Dec 30, 2008, 5:13:37 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:26:40 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

>In article <gjdo0t$34q$1...@news.motzarella.org>, suzee <su...@imbris.com>
>wrote:

>> I think they might have been going with Sweets as the killer earlier,

>> but when they decided to let Zack's character go, came up with him as
>> the new apprentice instead. Yeah, they dropped it on this SL and when
>> they picked up all the cards, they were in totally different order.
>
>Yeah, Sweets never has made any sense as a character, except to have
>turned out to be a killer.

That's the only reasoning that makes sense. They thought he was too obvious
and they wanted to jolt the audience with a big surprise. I don't think
having the audience metaphorically puke is what they had in mind.

EGK

Dec 30, 2008, 5:16:48 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:31:34 -0500, "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>EGK wrote:

>> As was pointed out when it occurred, Zack never fit the profile
>> either. Let alone looked like the figure they showed.
>>
>> They're already trying to mitigate this colossal fuckup in season 4
>> with scenes of Zack in the mental institution.
>
>Are they only digging themselves a deeper hole?

I haven't looked at ratings for Bones this season but from reading various
forums, I was far from alone in my dislike for this arc. Basically it was
nonsensical. I'm not sure they can dig themselves deeper. I mean this was
so bad it was one of those shows where you actively wish they had trotted
out the cliched "It was only a dream".

PV

Dec 31, 2008, 2:12:12 PM12/31/08
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> writes:
>And that was just WRONG. They could have let Zack's character go
>without making him the apprentice. Zack being the apprentice just
>doesn't fit. Sweets fits. That guy gives me the creeps and sets off
>my spidey sense BIG TIME. I couldn't BELIEVE it when Booth left Parker
>with Sweets. Unbelievable.

Of course, as it turned out he was right and Sweets isn't a bad guy. In the
latest season, he's been played very well as comic relief. I don't know
what they did or didn't plan to do with the storyline, but I'd like to
think they realized that the actor had good chemistry with the cast and fit
in better as a minor regular. *
like corkscrews.

Mac Breck

Dec 31, 2008, 7:00:30 PM12/31/08
PV wrote:
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> writes:
>> And that was just WRONG. They could have let Zack's character go
>> without making him the apprentice. Zack being the apprentice just
>> doesn't fit. Sweets fits. That guy gives me the creeps and sets
>> off my spidey sense BIG TIME. I couldn't BELIEVE it when Booth left
>> Parker with Sweets. Unbelievable.
>
> Of course, as it turned out he was right and Sweets isn't a bad guy.
> In the latest season, he's been played very well as comic relief.

Like I said, I've seen through the first three episodes (actually four,
since the first is a two parter), of this season (Season 4).
59. 4- 1 3AKY19 3 Sep 08 Yanks in the UK (1)
60. 4- 2 3AKY20 3 Sep 08 Yanks in the UK (2)
61. 4- 3 3AKY16 10 Sep 08 Man in the Outhouse
62. 4- 4 3AKY17 17 Sep 08 The Finger in the Nest

...but I can't shake the feeling that the other shoe hasn't dropped re.
Dr. Sweets, like there's something bad lurking out there. Who knows,
maybe after seeing:

63. 4- 5 4AKY01 24 Sep 08 The Perfect Pieces in the Purple
Pond
64. 4- 6 3AKY18 1 Oct 08 The Crank in the Shaft
65. 4- 7 3AKY15 8 Oct 08 The He in the She
66. 4- 8 4AKY03 5 Nov 08 The Skull in the Sculpture
67. 4- 9 4AKY04 12 Nov 08 The Con Man in the Meth Lab
68. 4-10 4AKY05 19 Nov 08 The Passenger in the Oven
69. 4-11 4AKY02 26 Nov 08 The Bone That Blew

...I'll change my mind about Dr. Sweets.

> don't know what they did or didn't plan to do with the storyline, but
> I'd like to think they realized that the actor had good chemistry
> with the cast and fit in better as a minor regular. *

What's the deal with Zack Addy/Eric Millegan? Did the actor want off
the show, and then decide he wanted to come back? I mean first he's
there, then he goes to Iraq, then he's back, then he's gone to to the
insane asylum, and is now back as what, recurring guest star consulting
from the asylum??

Rob Jensen

Jan 3, 2009, 4:37:07 PM1/3/09
wrote:

>Yeah, Sweets never has made any sense as a character, except to have
>turned out to be a killer.

Which is all the more reason for him to NOT be the killer. Red
herrings are a feature of mystery stories for a very good reason:
namely, to throw the reader/viewer off.

-- Rob

Remysun

Jan 5, 2009, 12:37:27 AM1/5/09
On Jan 3, 4:37 pm, Rob Jensen <ShutUp...@aol.com> wrote:

> Which is all the more reason for him to NOT be the killer.  Red
> herrings are a feature of mystery stories for a very good reason:
> namely, to throw the reader/viewer off.

Yeah, they knew for a while that there was a mole, but it was Zack
being able to save Hodgins that was supposed to be the hint that he
knew too much about what was going on.

bdsc...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2009, 12:37:17 PM1/6/09
I took a screenshot from The Knight on the Grid and the killer was
definitely Eric Millegan.

Michael Black

Jan 6, 2009, 1:03:36 PM1/6/09
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, bdsc...@gmail.com wrote:

> I took a screenshot from The Knight on the Grid and the killer was
> definitely Eric Millegan.

But is that from the time it was aired, or a later rerun or DVD release?

They can go back and change things to match the story now, so just because
someone saw something once doesn't mean it exists anymore.

Michael

Mac Breck

Jan 6, 2009, 5:31:16 PM1/6/09

I was watching the DVD version, and upon zooming in to 4X, the killer
looked like Dr. Sweets, to me. The killer didn't look perfectly like
either Zack Addy or Dr. Sweets, and in fact he looked like an actor we
haven't otherwise seen in the show, but he looked *more* like Dr. Sweets
than Zack Addy, to me.

Air Heart

Aug 28, 2022, 12:07:31 PM8/28/22
why