ABC orders H.G. Wells, Cuban "Macbeth," alternate history drama pilots

David

Jan 28, 2016, 6:26:19 PM1/28/16
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dramas-kevin-williamson-reese-witherspoon-858226

Dramas From Kevin Williamson, Reese Witherspoon, 'Agent Carter' Duo
Among ABC Pilot Pickups
by Lesley Goldberg

ABC is adding to its drama pilot haul.

The network on Thursday picked up four new drama pilots from producers
Kevin Williamson, Reese Witherspoon and Agent Carter's Michele Fazekas
and Tara Butters, among others, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

First, Witherspoon's untitled divorce drama (formerly known as Please
Don't Go) scored a script commitment in December. It follows a
ruthless Dallas divorce attorney’s life begins to unravel when her
emotionally damaged, love-addicted sister resurfaces triggering
self-destructive tendencies and exposing long-hidden family secrets.
Fear the Walking Dead's Meaghan Oppenheimer created the drama and will
exec produce the drama alongside Witherspoon and her ABC Studios-based
Pacific Standard topper Bruna Papandrea. The drama was one of multiple
sales this development season for Pacific Standard. The company also
is readying a romantic mystery drama from Rob Long for ABC and is
among the producers attached to HBO's Big Little Lies, in which
Witherspoon will star.

Second, Williamson's Time After Time is based on the Karl Alexander
novel of the same name. The drama uses the 1979 book and subsequent
movie as a starting point and chronicles the adventures of a young
H.G. Wells and his time machine. From Warner Bros. Television,
Williamson will pen the script and exec produce via his studio-based
Outerbanks banner. The drama marks Williamson's second pilot order of
the season and joins Fox's Recon, which reunites him with The Vampire
Diaries' Julie Plec and Caroline Dries.

ABC's third order of the day is Spark, a drama set in an alternate
history where gas and coal fuel the world. The so-called genre soap
centers on the battle for power between two rival families and a
rebellious young woman with a spark of invention that could level both
their empires. Michael Cooney (Center Stage) penned the script and
will exec produce the WBTV drama alongside Ian Sander and Kim Moses
(Reckless, Ghost Whisperer).

Rounding out the orders is The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez, from ABC
Studios-based Agent Carter duo Fazekas and Butters. The soap is
described as MacBeth with a Cuban twist and centers on Eva Sofia
Valdez, an immigrant who rose from rags to riches. The character is a
Miami entrepreneur and a champion for immigrant rights — but her
success is fueled by an insatiable ambition that could destroy her
family, a vendetta against the lover who betrayed her, and ghosts from
the past who threaten to reveal the dark sacrifices Eva Sofia made to
attain the American Dream. Fazekas and Butters exec produce alongside
Charise Castro Smith (Devious Maids), who will pen the script. Sofia
marks ABC's second Shakespeare-themed drama this season and joins
Shondaland's Romeo and Juliet follow-up Still Star-Crossed.

The four pickups bring ABC's drama haul to 11 (off one from 12 a year
ago) this pilot season. They joins previously announced drama pilots
including Model Woman, Kiefer Suthlerland's Designated Survivor
(picked up straight to series), courtroom anthology The Jury, legal
soap Conviction, Agents of SHIELD spinoff Marvel's Most Wanted, John
Ridley's PI drama Presence and Shondaland's Romeo and Juliet follow-up
Still Star-Crossed. Last season, the network ordered 12 dramas to
pilot (down one from 2014).

Obveeus

Jan 28, 2016, 6:33:49 PM1/28/16

On 1/28/2016 6:26 PM, David wrote:

> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dramas-kevin-williamson-reese-witherspoon-858226

> ABC's third order of the day is Spark, a drama set in an alternate
> history where gas and coal fuel the world.

What does that mean? Alternate history? Isn't that the world we live
in already?

> The so-called genre soap
> centers on the battle for power between two rival families and a
> rebellious young woman with a spark of invention that could level both
> their empires.

Um...the pun there seems to hint that this alternate world never
discovered electricity? If so, will we be seeing coal powered cell
phones and coal gas powered refrigerators?

The Last Doctor

Jan 28, 2016, 7:13:55 PM1/28/16
Cell phones seem unlikely but in my early twenties (about 1983) I lived for
a time in a rented bedsit that did indeed have a gas fridge. It seemed
counterintuitive to have cooling powered by flames, but it worked quite
well. Except that the place was so damn draughty that I had to check that
the pilot light was still working two or three times a day.

--
"I am and always will be the optimist.
The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams."

Jack Bohn

Jan 28, 2016, 10:48:26 PM1/28/16
Without electricity, I don't think you find radio waves. Maybe little semaphore flags you signal the nearest cell tower with?

--
-Jack

David Johnston

Jan 29, 2016, 12:50:17 AM1/29/16
On 1/28/2016 4:33 PM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 1/28/2016 6:26 PM, David wrote:
>
>> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dramas-kevin-williamson-reese-witherspoon-858226
>>

>> ABC's third order of the day is Spark, a drama set in an alternate
>> history where gas and coal fuel the world.
>
> What does that mean?

It means steampunk, a subgenre that has been waiting to get out of books
for a while now.

Michael Black

Jan 29, 2016, 1:48:36 AM1/29/16
Wasn't that show with "MacGyver" (well the actor) after MacGyver supposed
to be steampunkish? I never saw it, but I seem to recall some comment
about it that suggested it was.

"Wild Wild West", the movie, seamed Steampunkish.

Michael

Alan

Jan 29, 2016, 7:49:40 AM1/29/16
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrotR:
You can do a lot with gas and coal, including making synthetic
gasoline, but from a practical standpoint you need petroleum to get
much past 1900 technology on a large scale. Or perhaps they were just
trying to say nothing electrical or electronic?

--
Alan

anim8rfsk

Jan 29, 2016, 7:54:55 AM1/29/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
LEGEND, and, yes.

> "Wild Wild West", the movie, seamed Steampunkish.

Certainly THE SECRET ADVENTURES OF JULES VERNE was. Much of THE
ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY JUNIOR and QED as well.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Michael Black

Jan 29, 2016, 1:38:59 PM1/29/16
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016, anim8rfsk wrote:

>> Wasn't that show with "MacGyver" (well the actor) after MacGyver supposed
>> to be steampunkish? I never saw it, but I seem to recall some comment
>> about it that suggested it was.
>
> LEGEND, and, yes.
>>
>> "Wild Wild West", the movie, seamed Steampunkish.
>>
> Certainly THE SECRET ADVENTURES OF JULES VERNE was. Much of THE
> ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY JUNIOR and QED as well.

I'd forgotten about the Jules Verne one. I recall it was made here, there
was a lot of talk when it first went on the air.

Of course, Jules Verne was kind of proto-steampunk, certainly the Disney
"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was, trying to make an old story about
future technology back then into a current day movie.

Michael

J. Clarke

Feb 8, 2016, 6:42:38 AM2/8/16
In article <hp8labl22b57a6u0c...@4ax.com>, dimlan17
@yahoo.com says...
> ABC's third order of the day is Spark, a drama set in an alternate
> history where gas and coal fuel the world. The so-called genre soap
> centers on the battle for power between two rival families and a
> rebellious young woman with a spark of invention that could level both
> their empires. Michael Cooney (Center Stage) penned the script and
> will exec produce the WBTV drama alongside Ian Sander and Kim Moses
> (Reckless, Ghost Whisperer).

I do hope that (a) the Foglios trademarked "Spark" in this connection
and that (b) they are making out like bandits on this. I also do hope
that they aren't goint to have to go after ABC with lawyers.