Re: Quantum Leap reboot

Ubiquitous

Sep 16, 2022, 7:03:17 AM9/16/22
che...@post.harvard.edu wrote:

> When Usenet was cutting edge, I followed the Quantum Leap group, probably
> rec.arts.sf.tv.quantum-leap (which I understand was downsized around 2011).
> I don't the last time I wrote to, or even read from, Usenet, and I don't
> have a news server or news reader.

I remember reading alt.tv.quantum-leap back then but this is the first time I
heard of the rec.arts group.

> But here we are, according to the promo on the Sunday night NFL game,
> there is going to be a Quantum Leap reboot on September 19, 2022.

I see Bakula issued what I presume to be an attempt at distancing himself
from this lame rehash.

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Sep 20, 2022, 4:18:14 AM9/20/22
OK, pilot episode watched.

It wasn’t nearly as awful as I was expecting. That doesn’t mean it was good
or anything.

I only have a passing acquaintance with the original. I quit watching it
the beginning of season two when it turned out they were working directly
for the Lord God and he smote a senator trying to shut them down.

This is a direct continuation of the original show. They show us pictures
and mention the names of both Sam and Al.

And they say Al died last year. :-(

Apparently Al’s daughter will be in future episodes.

But there are strange inconsistencies. For instance even though they’ve
been spending five years trying to get Sam‘s work up and running again they
apparently never bothered to read the files. They’ve only heard rumors of
the Swiss cheese memory effect. And what happened to the bit where the
person being leapt into appeared in the future in the waiting room? They
seem to have done away with that and are keeping into that person in the
past with the leaper somehow inhabiting them.

There’s a nonbinary project leader as we figured there would be who is
incredibly annoying.

They definitely watched THE TIME TUNNEL when formulating this.

Deborah Pratt plays the voice of Ziggy!

I’ve read that Ernie Hudson is reprising his role from the original series
but I can’t find anything on IMDb to confirm that.

The big problem is that neither of the leads are particularly good actors.

Next week Sam Junior (that’s a bad sign, I don’t remember any of the
regular characters names) is on board the space shuttle ATLANTIS.

I think I’ll give this another episode and see how it goes.

Oh, instead of saying “oh boy” Sam Junior apparently says “oh shit” but
they have to do something to drown out that shit part. That’s going to get
old real fast.

Ubiquitous

Sep 20, 2022, 2:12:59 PM9/20/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:

>Deborah Pratt plays the voice of Ziggy!

Didn'y only make meeping and beeping sounds?

>I've read that Ernie Hudson is reprising his role from the original series
>but I can't find anything on IMDb to confirm that.

He was in the original? I have no memory of that!

>Oh, instead of saying “oh boy” Sam Junior apparently says “oh shit” but
>they have to do something to drown out that shit part. That's going to get
>old real fast.

Starting with you telling us about it.

anim8rfsk

Sep 20, 2022, 6:53:20 PM9/20/22
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim...@cox.net wrote:
>
>> Deborah Pratt plays the voice of Ziggy!
>
> Didn'y only make meeping and beeping sounds?

I don’t recall hearing Ziggy talk but as I said I didn’t watch much of it
after season one. Deborah Pratt was Mrs. Bellisario and the REAL LIFE
mother of McProbie‘s sister on NCIS OWM and also a writer on the various
shows and as I recall the narrator on quantum Leap and of course most
importantly Marella on AIRWOLF!

>> I've read that Ernie Hudson is reprising his role from the original series
>> but I can't find anything on IMDb to confirm that.
>
> He was in the original? I have no memory of that!
>
>> Oh, instead of saying “oh boy†Sam Junior apparently says “oh shit†but
>> they have to do something to drown out that shit part. That's going to get
>> old real fast.
>
> Starting with you telling us about it.

Hey!

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 24, 2022, 3:29:26 PM9/24/22
On 9/20/2022 1:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
snip

> I’ve read that Ernie Hudson is reprising his role from the original series
> but I can’t find anything on IMDb to confirm that.

Not the same actor, the same character from the season 3 episode "The
Leap Home (Part 2) – Vietnam." I vaguely remember part 1, but have no
memory of part 2. Based on the cast of part 2 (Andrea Thompson, Tia
Carrere and Patrick Warburton) I'm tempted to revisit the episodes
again. At least part 2 which is where Hudson's character appears.

Apparently this will all be explicitly addressed by Hudson in the 4th
episode.

I have to assume since Sam leaped into Hudson's character, he has known
about the project since the 70s. He might have even had some
involvement in getting it up and running creating a bit of a time loop.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2022, 6:05:45 PM9/24/22
Thanks!

The original actor is still working. I wonder how annoyed he is…