Hello and Goodbye, Quantum Leap Group?

KalElFan

Feb 2, 2011, 11:59:13 PM2/2/11

So, a Google search on Quantum Leap brings up the following Wiki
page first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap_(TV_series)#Show_summary

Then your friend the ever-present IMDb, where 5,602 voters have the
show rated 8.4/10:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096684/

Hulu's up next. They have season 1 and 2 episodes, and other seasons
if you subscribe. There are some posts on their discussion board too:

http://www.hulu.com/quantum-leap

Google has some youtube links after that, and then it's tv.com, where
2,511 voters have QL rated 8.9/10 and there was at least one post to
their boards last month:

http://www.tv.com/quantum-leap/show/173/summary.html

Then a couple of fan sites, one with a current semi-annual newsletter
and another with some posts to their forum within the last week.

In the course of researching this post I also noticed mention of a
convention, so pay attention. Here's the 600 million pound gorilla...

Facebook's Quantum Leap page is active with a whopping 31,699 who
like it. Of course that's barely 1% of those on Facebook who like
Smallville. It's also only about 1 in 20,000 Facebook users. But still,
31,699 on Facebook remember Quantum Leap fondly enough to have
indicated they like QL, and there's activity on their discussion board
there.

This Usenet group's history can be seen here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.quantum-leap/about?hl=en

It used to be active back in the day, when Facebook didn't exist. :-)
Today, Usenet being what it is, this and many other groups are inactive.

A group of 10 Role Playing Gamers on news.groups.proposals have decided
to take Usenet's woes out on this and 197 other groups by trying to get
some news servers to remove them. They've had difficulty getting news
servers to do that in the past, because they have zero authority it's just
a "suggestion" or "recommendation" they make as part of the RPG.

I doubt Google or any of the pay news servers will listen, nor many others.
But some may, and so the effect will be poorer future access for some, to
this group and 197 others. They don't plan to stop there though! Why
stop at 197? They plan to take it up to a thousand or so.

The RPGers are well meaning and think they're doing the right thing. That
can be the problem with group psychology. If they don't do anything they
have no RPG game, so they have to do something. That means they have
to look for something to do and convince themselves it needs doing.

It apparently doesn't dawn on them that all they're really going to do,
whether they realize it or not, is vandalize Usenet by damaging the ability
of 1,000 newsgroups or so to propagate. It won't eliminate 1,000 groups,
it'll just damage the propagation of 1,000 groups. News servers prepared
to remove 1,000 groups based on a bunch of Role Playing Gamers saying
they should, won't carry the groups, while most news servers will keep on
carrying them.

No word on whether they plan to change their RPG name from the Big 8
Management Board to the Big 8 Vandalization Board or not. Maybe that
will be next on their List of Things To Do.

Ironically perhaps, but poignantly more than anything else, I personally
don't care because I favor Usenet rebuilding itself on new frontiers. I've
written off the Big 8 in its current form, and so I suppose I should be
happy it's about to be vandalized. But I'm not. Some like Usenet the
way it is and that's part of the reason I want to rebuild on new frontiers.
Why change what's here, or take it away from those who like it the way
it is? Stay clear of that, and if new Usenet frontiers succeed some may
even discover the original Big 8 and come on back here including to this
group. It just won't reach as many people, because of this thing called
The Great Vandalization 2011/1. Part Deux to Dix to follow!

Ah, well, hopefully they'll reconsider, as in abandon the "idea".

Your Name

Feb 3, 2011, 12:23:10 AM2/3/11

"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote in message

> A group of 10 Role Playing Gamers on news.groups.proposals have decided
> to take Usenet's woes out on this and 197 other groups by trying to get
> some news servers to remove them. They've had difficulty getting news
> servers to do that in the past, because they have zero authority it's just
> a "suggestion" or "recommendation" they make as part of the RPG.

They've got no chance at all. No company on Earth is going to listen to such
a tiny group of morons.

KalElFan

Feb 3, 2011, 12:35:57 AM2/3/11
"Your Name" wrote in message news:iide0c$alo$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz...

They're actually quite smart, just very misguided and lacking constructive
goals. I hope they see the light. It's really just 100% logic that what
they're doing is vandalization. They acknowledge that many servers will
ignore them, the biggest ones especially, and they have no idea how
many will listen to them.

That acknowledgement is all that's required to make them self-confessed
vandals. If they could demonstrate 100% compliance, then they could at
least argue they were "achieving" something.

So again hopefully they step back, realize it's a bad idea, start thinking
straight, and just Leap back to last week. :-)