'Babylon 5 Remastered' now available on HBO Max

Ian J. Ball

Jan 26, 2021, 11:30:16 AM1/26/21
This may be of interest to some:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 26, 2021, 11:37:00 AM1/26/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>This may be of interest to some:

>https://finance.yahoo.com/news/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

Well. It's in 4:3. That's something. I'm sorry to hear we won't get the
original edit of the pilot episode, which had different music.

It says nothing about the 4 made-for-tv movies for TNT, or [spit] Lost
Tales, or Crusade.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 26, 2021, 2:25:24 PM1/26/21
"The Legend of the Rangers" was pretty much crap, too. Now that I think
of it, I never bothered to track down Lost Tales.

Ian, here's an interesting article on why the translation to 16:9 looked
so lousy.

'Babylon 5' is great, so why does it look so bad?
by D. Cooper, 1/22/2018, Engadget
https://www.engadget.com/2018-06-22-babylon-5-digital-video-quality.html

Jerry Brown

Jan 26, 2021, 3:10:31 PM1/26/21
On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 19:25:22 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>This may be of interest to some:
>
>>>https://finance.yahoo.com/news/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html
>
>>Well. It's in 4:3. That's something. I'm sorry to hear we won't get the
>>original edit of the pilot episode, which had different music.
>
>>It says nothing about the 4 made-for-tv movies for TNT, or [spit] Lost
>>Tales, or Crusade.
>
>"The Legend of the Rangers" was pretty much crap, too. Now that I think
>of it, I never bothered to track down Lost Tales.

I've said before; by that point I was thinking that it was only a
matter of time before we got "Rebo & Zooty: Narnshit!".

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

anim8rfsk

Jan 26, 2021, 3:43:32 PM1/26/21
Wow. The guy that wrote this is “as stupid as Susan Sarandon“

Pretty much everything he says or quotes anybody else as having said is
RONG.

Apparently the author here thinks that DVD is HD. The only word for that is
“bullshit“ DVD video is SD. period. The VFX work was rendered to the same
NTSC SD Sony laser disc recorders I used. They store at 640 x 480 or 720 x
480 and you can do the anamorphic trick to go to 853 x 480 although that’s
just stretching the image not actually adding more resolution. Our
computer files were 720 x 540 or 853 x 540 and got squished down when laid
off to the disc.

I don’t even understand what they think they’d be accomplishing by
re-rendering. They’d just be rendering the same stuff. You can’t just push
a magic button and say “render bigger” – we hear that all the time about
the Star Trek the motion picture special edition. You aren’t re-rendering,
you’re re-creating. The models have to have more polygons. The textures
have to have more pixels. And of course people should get paid for
re-rendering. I have no idea why the masses seem to think that should be
free.

Also, and it can’t be said enough times, Lightwave sucks.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 26, 2021, 4:08:20 PM1/26/21
On 1/26/2021 8:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> This may be of interest to some:
>
> https://finance.yahoo.com/news/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

Thanks!

B5 was actually on my mind since the actress who played Ambassador
Delenn recently passed away.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/r-i-p-mira-furlan/

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 26, 2021, 4:38:07 PM1/26/21
Ian, anim says the article isn't interesting.

anim8rfsk

Jan 26, 2021, 5:00:08 PM1/26/21
I didn’t say that. I said it was wrong.

That’s like saying I insulted Brit Morgan because somebody else referred to
her as “conventionally beautiful”

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 26, 2021, 5:04:11 PM1/26/21
Fine. The writer was conventionally not giving a shit about making any
sense.

J. Clarke

Jan 26, 2021, 5:07:24 PM1/26/21
Damn. I liked her. And she wasn't that old.

anim8rfsk

Jan 26, 2021, 5:13:29 PM1/26/21
I often wonder if people like that actually understand what they think
they’ve said or if they just hear themselves saying “blah blah blah” the
way dogs hear you talking to them.

Ubiquitous

Jan 26, 2021, 6:11:31 PM1/26/21
In article <rupg2m$deh$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote: