Ellison TREK Book! (from jms)

strac...@genie.geis.com

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
It's the story that followers of STAR TREK have been discussing,
analyzing, disseminating and hearing for nearly thirty years, involving what
polls and conventions have consistently shown to be the single best episode
of the original STAR TREK series ever produced: "The City on the Edge of
Forever."

What *really* happened? Who *really* did the final produced script?
How did the original script come to be, what was in it (and almost as
important, given rumors, what *wasn't* in it), and what do those most
directly involved have to say about it?
For the first time, you'll hear directly not only from Harlan
Ellison (the article in the TV Guide special ST issue was basically just a
warm-up), but also from Leonard Nimoy, Peter David, DeForest Kelley, Walter
Koenig, D.C. Fontana, Melinda Snodgrass and George Takai...not in
interviews, but in essays they have themselves written on the subject, for
publication for the first time.

Publication where, you ask? In THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER, the
definitive book on the subject just completed by Harlan and those indicated
above. The limited edition book contains not only the first version of the
script, but subsequent revisions, two of the original treatments, actual
correspondence printed here for the first time which will dispell many of
the rumors circulating for over 30 years, afterwords by those noted in the
paragraph above, and a 20,000 word introduction by Harlan Ellison.

Publication of this book is one of the most eagerly awaited events by
followers of STAR TREK. Advance orders have been pouring in, and only 330
copies of the special limited edition remain, at $75 plus $5 shipping and
handling (UPS insured) from Borderlands Press, a noted and prestigious
publisher of quality limited edition books. These will be shipping on
October 1st. The book has already been completed, and is now at the
printers being typeset and bound.

A regular trade hardcover edition will be available later, starting
December 1st, at a price of $25, plus $5 S&H.

This, as they say, is the Real Deal, with information withheld from
publication for 30 years, made available here for the first time, along with
the ability to show the progression through various stages of the script
that became "The City on the Edge of Forever." For writers interested in
studying scripts, for followers of the show who want exclusive behind the
scenes info, for anyone with an abiding interest in things Trek...this is
going to be *the* book to buy, the only Star Trek-based book ever likely to
come from Harlan Ellison, and thus a sure collector's item.

Visa/Mastercard orders can be placed at 1-800-528-3310, or send check
or money order to BORDERLANDS PRESS, PO Box 146, Brooklandville, MD 21022.

Tom Thatcher

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In <199508090901...@relay1.geis.com> strac...@genie.geis.com writes:

> It's the story that followers of STAR TREK have been discussing,
>analyzing, disseminating and hearing for nearly thirty years, involving what
>polls and conventions have consistently shown to be the single best episode
>of the original STAR TREK series ever produced: "The City on the Edge of
>Forever."
>
> What *really* happened? Who *really* did the final produced script?
>How did the original script come to be, what was in it (and almost as
>important, given rumors, what *wasn't* in it), and what do those most
>directly involved have to say about it?

Excuse me for thinking, but isn't this another cheap shot to the wallets
of Trek fans? I appreciate that Harlan has things to get off his chest
about this episode, but building a $25 book out of a single episode of
a 30 year old TV series?

--
Tom Thatcher | You can give a PC to a Homo habilis,
University of Rochester Cancer Center | and he'll use it, but he'll use it

Chris K

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95

:
: Publication where, you ask? In THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER, the

: definitive book on the subject just completed by Harlan and those indicated
: above. The limited edition book contains not only the first version of the
: script, but subsequent revisions, two of the original treatments, actual
: correspondence printed here for the first time which will dispell many of
: the rumors circulating for over 30 years, afterwords by those noted in the
: paragraph above, and a 20,000 word introduction by Harlan Ellison.

I find it sad that a supposedly accomplished author (Ellison) is wasting
his time dredging up a 30-year-old grudge. Can't he find more challenging
subjects to pursue than getting in yet another venomous "and ANOTHER
thing" about his association with Trek? Is this the only way an author of
his stature can bring in the bucks and keep a public profile these days, by
writing and compiling a cheap tell-all?
People, particularly Trek fandom, tend to believe what they wish to believe.
The subject should have stayed dead.

My apologies for continuing a thread that doesn't belong in the B5 newsgroup
in the first place. Followups set to rec.arts.startrek.fandom.

Chris

Jay Denebeim

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In article <40dq8u$4...@case.cyberspace.com>,

Chris K <chr...@case.cyberspace.com> wrote:
>My apologies for continuing a thread that doesn't belong in the B5 newsgroup
>in the first place. Followups set to rec.arts.startrek.fandom.

Actually, you didn't do it, BUT... I just thought I'd mention that
rastb5 is the only group that jms sees. Taking a shot at something
someone said, then going somewhere that person can't is a pretty poor
debating technique IMO.

Jay
--
Sig under construction
Jay Denebeim dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us

Ed Dravecky III

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Dismissed Simpson juror Tom Thatcher recently wrote:
> Excuse me for thinking, but isn't this another cheap shot to the
> wallets of Trek fans? I appreciate that Harlan has things to get
> off his chest about this episode, but building a $25 book out of a
> single episode of a 30 year old TV series?

Yeah, David Gerrold only got about $2.95/each for the "Trouble With
Tribbles" book. (And that was 20+ years ago!)

Of course, if we wait long enough, detailed books on EACH and EVERY
epiosde of TOS will be printed. Imagine the thrill on your face when
you unwrap your gifts on your birthday in 2017. "Wow!" you'll cry. "A
genuine gold-leaf edged, autographed hardback detailing the making of
'Spock's Brain'!"

Your relatives should pre-order NOW as the pre-release price is just
under $300/copy. Thanks for your support.

(Seriously, I'll be first in line to buy Harlan's new book when it
finally hits my local Bookstop...)
--
Ed Dravecky III is: > "In space, no one can hear you scream--unless
dshe...@netcom.com > it's the battle cry of a United States Marine!"

Robert Merritt

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95

With all due respect, JMS, if Ellison wants to sell the book, he should
get on the net himself. I fell kinda used when your posting an
advertisment for it. I'm not whining about ads on the net. I just
don't like how this one was done.
Rob Merritt

Howard S Shubs

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In article <dsheldonD...@netcom.com>, dshe...@netcom.com (Ed
Dravecky III) wrote:

>(Seriously, I'll be first in line to buy Harlan's new book when it
>finally hits my local Bookstop...)

I'll do the same when it comes out in paperback. Twenty-five dollers is
too much, let alone $75. If it doesn't come out in paperback, I guess
I'll either have to go to the library or live without it. What a
hardship.

--
Howard S Shubs hsh...@bix.com Reunite Gondwanaland!
The Denim Adept hsh...@ultranet.com

Daniel G. Sharpes

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95

The operator at Borderlands Press passed these two bits of info
to me:
- about 100 copies of the limited edition book remain (asof
8:45 Eastern time, 11 Aug)
- expect about a month delay in shipping
(the folks handbinding the books can't get it done any
sooner)
--
Dan Sharpes

Jim Dawson

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
rob...@online1.magnus1.com (Robert Merritt) wrote:

What? Ellison on the net to sell us books? After all he said about us
(i.e. people who spend their time on the Internet and calling
electronic bulletin boards) on the Sci-Fi channel a couple of years
ago?
---
| Jim Dawson - ji...@midwest.net FAX (618) 993-9153 |
| Ignore the propaganda, Focus on what you see - Sinclair |
| Is it October yet? - most Babylon 5 fans in North America |

gary weiner

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In article <40g4li$c...@sparky.midwest.net>,

Jim Dawson <ji...@midwest.net> wrote:
>rob...@online1.magnus1.com (Robert Merritt) wrote:
>
>>With all due respect, JMS, if Ellison wants to sell the book, he should
>>get on the net himself. I fell kinda used when your posting an
>>advertisment for it. I'm not whining about ads on the net. I just
>>don't like how this one was done.
>
>What? Ellison on the net to sell us books? After all he said about us
>(i.e. people who spend their time on the Internet and calling
>electronic bulletin boards) on the Sci-Fi channel a couple of years
>ago?

Not to mention what he said about people who buy Star Trek
stuff. Just a little more jive from H.E..

By the way, did I see that Peter David has an essay in this
book? What qualifies him to be in this book, other than the
fact that he is president of the Harlan Ellison Ass-Kissing
Society?

--
Gary J. Weiner |"Red Riding Hood screamed, not out of alarm at the
BNL-NSLS | wolf's apparent tendency toward cross-dressing,

Ducharme Jean-Francois

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

A couple of years ago I went to a Star Trek convention (my first and last
Creation Con, ughh) and there I picked up a brochure that Creation had
made to commemorate Star Trek 25th anniversary. And inside the brochure
there was a full-page advertising for an upcoming book about "The City
on the Edge of Forever". The ad listed the same features that were
present on jms's message (details on Ellison original script, commentaries
from the same bunch of people, special limited edition, etc).

Given Ellison reputation for not always finishing his projects on time,
am I right to understand that this the same (and therefore 5-years-late)
book?

Alain Ducharme

Jonathan J. Hunt

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
In article <DD5AA...@online.magnus1.com>,

Robert Merritt <rob...@online1.magnus1.com> wrote:

>With all due respect, JMS, if Ellison wants to sell the book, he should
>get on the net himself. I fell kinda used when your posting an
>advertisment for it. I'm not whining about ads on the net. I just
>don't like how this one was done.
>Rob Merritt

This may have been a little uncharacteristic if JMS' posts but heck, the
man's doing his friend a favor. There is good reason to beleive that many
in this news group would have intrest in the book after all. I don't
think it was in bad taste.
Peace,
JJH

Roger Murray

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
dshe...@netcom.com (Ed Dravecky III) writes:
>Of course, if we wait long enough, detailed books on EACH and EVERY
>epiosde of TOS will be printed. Imagine the thrill on your face when
>you unwrap your gifts on your birthday in 2017. "Wow!" you'll cry. "A
>genuine gold-leaf edged, autographed hardback detailing the making of
>'Spock's Brain'!"

Consider, though, the information contained in such a treatise:

* How to raise the dead with a TV remote control

* Fashion accessory Do's and Dont's (i.e. belts that bind and bulky bracelets)

* The answer to the most pervasive question in modern time: What *is* brain?

Well, I'll start with the COTEOF book and go from there...
--
Roger Murray (rmu...@netcom.com) | "UUNET is available to hundreds
| of thousands of users worldwide,
---------------------------------------------+ including users in New Jersey."
HRERPB/SHORT/HAPBD/TPHOU/FPLT/SK/PHE/HOU/FPLT| -- USL vs. BSDI ruling
--
Roger Murray (rmu...@netcom.com) | "UUNET is available to hundreds
| of thousands of users worldwide,
---------------------------------------------+ including users in New Jersey."
HRERPB/SHORT/HAPBD/TPHOU/FPLT/SK/PHE/HOU/FPLT| -- USL vs. BSDI ruling

Richard Feldman

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95

Rob - I agree with Jonathan; so much so that the moment I saw the note
from jms, I =immediately= called the vendor and placed an order. I'll be
the =VERY= proud owner of a signed and numbered Ellison limited edition.
If jms had NOT posted that note, I'd have had =no way= of knowing about
the book. I'm very glad that he did so.
--
The PsiCorps is your friend. Trust the Corps. We're everywhere, for your
convenience. Richard Feldman, -aka- Chats