YES !!! New B5 Group

Ed Redondo

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
From: war...@syra.net (Warren Lavallee)

Date: 26 Mar 1996 16:22:43 -0500

RESULT
moderated group rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated passes 2241:109

There were 2241 YES votes and 109 NO votes, for a total of 2350 valid
votes.
There were 3 abstains and 14 invalid ballots.

For group passage, YES votes must be at least 2/3 of all valid (YES and NO)
votes. There also must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO votes.

There is a five day discussion period after these results are posted. If
no
serious allegations of voting irregularities are raised, the moderator of
news.announce.newgroups will create the group shortly thereafter.

This RESULT posting has been broken into three articles to keep each
message under 64 kilobytes in length.

Newsgroups line:
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated Babylon 5 creators meet Babylon 5
fans. (Moderated)

This was being conducted by a neutral third party. Questions about
this proposal should be directed to the proponent.

Proponent: Jay Denebeim <dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us>
Proponent: Chris Carter <car...@teleport.com>
Proponent: David Stinson <dsti...@ix.netcom.com>
Proponent: G. O. Eddore <ghar...@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu>
Proponent: John Pietrzak <piet...@escalante.cs.byu.edu>
Proponent: John Schilling <schi...@spock.usc.edu>
Mentor: John Pimentel <pime...@roots.ultranet.com>
Votetaker: Warren Lavallee <war...@Syra.NET>

RATIONALE: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

For the past few years, the rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5 newsgroup has been
a thriving resource and conversational outlet for the fans of the
television program BABYLON 5. However, in recent months the
proliferation of flame posts, USENET spam, deliberate trolling,
and accidental and purposeful posting of spoilers have made a
congenial discussion of the show difficult.

CHARTER: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon-5.moderated is to be a moderated newsgroup
dedicated to the following topics:

* The plots and characters of Babylon 5 episodes.
* Musings and speculations about where the show is going.
* Other topics of interest to the fans in the newsgroup.

AND NOT, NOT, NOT Story Ideas.

The difference between speculation and story ideas can be rather
subtle, so please refer to the definition below, or to the
R.A.SF.TV.B5 FAQ, for more information.

The group will be fairly relaxed about what is on topic. Basically,
anything remotely related to the show, science fiction, or the television
business, is on topic.

What are not on-topic are the following:

1) Story Ideas
2) Flames
3) Trolls
4) Spam

A "Story Idea" is the description of a new character or event in the
show, the exact scripting of a scene, or any detailed discussion of
events which have not already appeared in an aired show, been
described on-line by show production staff, or specifically predicted
by dialogue and events in shows already aired.

(Obviously, parodies are acceptable.)

Speculation is allowed, however. The difference between speculation
and a story idea is that speculation is directly supported by events
or dialogue in the show or statements made on-line or published in
magazine articles which are directly attributable to the show's
production staff.

For example:
If Morden is afraid of green penguins, and Draal is shown to have
access to them, a speculation would be that Draal will use them
against Morden in the future. However if Draal only has a purple
moose, saying that he could use it against Morden would be a story
idea.

Flames are defined as posts which:

(1) personally insult or attack one or more of the members of the
newsgroup; or

(2) make defamatory allegations, without corroborating evidence,
concerning a person/poster in the newsgroup, in a deliberate and
repetitive manner (resembling a common sense definition of
libel/slander, but not specifically limited to the legal
interpretation of those terms).

Trolls are posts that the moderators believe were posted only to
provoke members of the group into responding heatedly.

Spam is a post that was made, essentially unchanged, to a number of
newsgroups, generally for religious, political, commercial, or
irrational reasons.

What is on-topic but unacceptable is a posting that contains an
unprotected spoiler. This is either because the article contains no
warning in it's subject line, no space between the header and the
spoiler, or the subject line itself is a spoiler.

Spoilers are information contained in a show that has not been
broadcast in both the U.S. and the U.K. It has been agreed that after
the last day of broadcast in both countries' first run, spoiler
protection is no longer necessary.

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
================================

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) presently used by the newsgroup
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5 will be used by this newsgroup to avoid
duplication of effort.

Amending This Charter
=====================

This charter can be amended at any time by following the procedures
then in effect for newsgroup creation.

END CHARTER.

MODERATOR INFO: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Moderation will be performed by a group of moderators assisted by
whatever scripts they deem necessary to help them accomplish their
task. Moderators can be removed or added at their discretion, although
it is intended that they will consider the opinions of the members of
the newsgroup when making their decision.

The moderators will enforce the above charter by warning people who
violate it, and by moderating posts when necessary.

Unprotected spoilers will have spoiler protection manually inserted.
This includes changing the subject line to include the term "*SPOILER*"
and to remove spoilers from the subject line if necessary. Additionally
spoiler space, "Spoilers for episode X" followed by a ^L 25 blank lines
^L, will be added to the post.

Spoiler space before, and bracketed, initialed comments of the moderator
are the only editing allowed in posts. The body of the post as written
by its original author will under no circumstances be modified by the
moderators, excepting the aforementioned additions.

Moderator: Bill Zimmer <z...@ibx.com>
Moderator: Jay Denebeim <dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us>
Moderator: John Pietrzak <piet...@escalante.cs.byu.edu>
Moderator: John Schilling <schi...@spock.usc.edu>
Moderator: Michael J. King Sr. <kin...@primenet.com>
Moderator: Patricia A. Swan <zaf...@drake.dnet.net>
Moderator: Teresa Lhotka <kem...@winternet.com>
Article submission address: rastb5-...@solon.com
Administrative contact address: ras...@solon.com

END MODERATOR INFO.

The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its
credibility. And vice versa.

Religious practice is an individual's right; *not* a right
of the public to be imposed on other individuals.
====================================== Ed Redondo ============

Jay Denebeim

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
In article <4jcvfj$1sc2...@cs1.electriciti.com>,
Ed Redondo <evrw...@powergrid.electriciti.com> wrote:

>There were 2241 YES votes and 109 NO votes, for a total of 2350 valid
>votes.
>There were 3 abstains and 14 invalid ballots.

BTW this is the HIGHEST voter turnout for a non-controversial vote in
history to the tune of about 500 votes. The previous holder was the
great linux reorganization.

Jay
--
Jay Denebeim dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us
duke.edu!wolves!deepthot!denebeim

michael kelly

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96

dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) writes:

|> Ed Redondo <evrw...@powergrid.electriciti.com> wrote:
|>
|> >There were 2241 YES votes and 109 NO votes, for a total of 2350 valid
|> >votes.
|> >There were 3 abstains and 14 invalid ballots.
|>

|> BTW this is the HIGHEST voter turnout for a non-controversial vote in
|> history to the tune of about 500 votes. The previous holder was the
|> great linux reorganization.

What do you mean by non-controversial? All the noise in these parts
seemed to indicate controversy.

The first .startrek reorg (both of them!) had multi-K votes.

What was the turnout on the "macedonia" vote?

--
+ Mike Kelly, Notre Dame Department of Physics mke...@ovid.helios.nd.edu +
+ +

porkm...@usa.pipeline.com

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
On Mar 28, 1996 19:15:21 in article <Re: YES !!! New B5 Group>,

+
>+ Oh, and never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going.
+
>+ - Ian Anderson

The "macedonia" vote? Sorry, don't get it. Hey Mike, I agree with you,
just didn't get the sarcastic humor (I'm guessing it was sarcasm, and I'm
guessing it was humor...maybe I'm wrong on both counts). You wacky
Fighting Irish. And Jethro Tull? Come on. If we're going to talk about
70's groups with instruments that don't belong, give me Electric Light
Orchestra. Now *there's* some music I can listen to. Get rid of that
wussy flute.

-A.J. Tucker-

Thomas J Lee

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
In article <4jdd7h$3...@deepthot.cary.nc.us> dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) writes:

JD>BTW this is the HIGHEST voter turnout for a non-controversial vote in
JD>history to the tune of about 500 votes. The previous holder was the
JD>great linux reorganization.

This was a non-controversial vote?

Just so my signature isn't longer than my message, I'd like to
thank you and the others for all the hard work past (getting the
moderated group created) and all the hard work to come (moderating the
durn thing). Best of luck, hope the software works, and I'll be lurking
with all the rest of them when April 2nd rolls around. I'll probably
stay here too, unless it proves to be a waste of my time.

Tom Lee (tj...@columbia.edu) | My wife says I obsess about Babylon 5.
Audiovisual and Computer Lab Support | I think she's a Shadow agent. :-)
Columbia University Law School Library | Quotation of the Day follows ...

"Mothers of large families (who claim to common sense)
Will find a Tiger well repay the trouble and expense."
-- Hilaire Belloc

Jay Denebeim

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
In article <4jeog9$4...@news.nd.edu>,
michael kelly <mke...@titanium.helios.nd.edu> wrote:

>What do you mean by non-controversial? All the noise in these parts
>seemed to indicate controversy.

From the UVV's WWW site:

Record for most votes cast for a single CFV: 3236 votes, set by
soc.support.youth.gay-lesbian-bi, October-November 1994, votetaker:
Ron Dippold (rdip...@qualcomm.com)

Record for most votes cast for a single non-controversial CFV: 1824
votes, set by comp.os.linux reorganization, July-August 1993,
votetaker: Ian Kluft (ikl...@amdahl.com)

So, controversial in this context means controversial topic. B5 is
not what I would call controversial. rec.music.white-power (who will
probably beat us) is.

David Stinson

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96

:
:>What do you mean by non-controversial? All the noise in these parts
:>seemed to indicate controversy.
:
:From the UVV's WWW site:
:
:Record for most votes cast for a single CFV: 3236 votes, set by
:soc.support.youth.gay-lesbian-bi, October-November 1994, votetaker:
:Ron Dippold (rdip...@qualcomm.com)
:
:Record for most votes cast for a single non-controversial CFV: 1824
:votes, set by comp.os.linux reorganization, July-August 1993,
:votetaker: Ian Kluft (ikl...@amdahl.com)
:
:So, controversial in this context means controversial topic. B5 is
:not what I would call controversial. rec.music.white-power (who will
:probably beat us) is.
:
:Jay
:

Well, the srj proposal that was in there while our was, would probably have
broken the controversial at 20,000+ votes, but its under question due to
alleged fraud...

** David A. Stinson ** Web Page: http://www.procom.com/~daves *
** dsti...@ix.netcom.com***********************************************
** DA...@procom.com ** "Gonna need another Timmy!" -Baby Sinclair *
** dast...@aol.com ******************************* Dinosaurs! *

Sue

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) wrote:

>In article <4jcvfj$1sc2...@cs1.electriciti.com>,
>Ed Redondo <evrw...@powergrid.electriciti.com> wrote:

>>There were 2241 YES votes and 109 NO votes, for a total of 2350 valid
>>votes.
>>There were 3 abstains and 14 invalid ballots.

>BTW this is the HIGHEST voter turnout for a non-controversial vote in

>history to the tune of about 500 votes. The previous holder was the

>great linux reorganization.

>Jay
>--
>Jay Denebeim dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us
> duke.edu!wolves!deepthot!denebeim
>Fuck censorship! Oh *shit* there goes another 100, er $200,000

Hey Jay!

Who said these newsgroups (rastb5 and rastb5.mod) was not
controversial?? Whoever it was hasn't been checking out the
moderation threads in discussion over here! : - )

BTW the bantering tone who have been useing the past day or two on
some of the other threads has been quite refreshing. Didn't know you
had it in ya! : - )
---
Sue sue.bi...@sympatico.ca

*** Carpe Diem, mes enfants!