Say you really miss Joe Straczynski on rastb5? & More of Joe Straczynski's Dialogue

1 view

Robert Holland

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
>> And, it does, I must admit, raising another question: why will
>>JMS tolerate and be involved in flame wars on AOL, and continue to
>>participate there, but will not tolerate them here in rastb5 on Usenet?
>>Is it merely a matter of degree? Or what?
>>
>> I really do not understand.

They're the very same flames, too.

I think he does it for control. He feels safe on CI$, AOL and Genie
where the paying crowd perhaps treats him with respect, almost
unanimously. He could only gain control over a usenet newsgroup's
discussion of his work if he can get someone to eliminate the
persons he does not like. Jay is just the rube for the job.

For all his talk of wanting to be "one of the gang", JMS sure
asks for some special concessions. He'll get them, too.

--RH

The_Doge of St. Louis

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
In article <name deleted> wrote:

>For all his talk of wanting to be "one of the gang", JMS sure
>asks for some special concessions. He'll get them, too.

And you know what, kiddo? He deserves 'em.
Sorry to bust anyone's faux egalitarian bubble, but in the real world
(as opposed to the never-never land of usenet) some people really are more
interesting to communicate with than others. Some people have
accomplished more than others. And some people - the ones who are more
interesting and have accomplished more - are more deserving of respect and
attention than others.
Yes, incredible as it may seem, I am much more interested in what the
creator of B5 has to say about the show than what some random fanboys have
to say. It's rare that one has the opportunity to exchange ideas directly
with the creator of something like this, and I find that a much better use
of my rather precious free time than wading through endless flame wars
among jejune wankers who've gotten their noses out of joint over the
suggestion that a published author and executive producer of an innovative
TV series just *might* have more to contribute to a discussion of that
series then they have.
And in any case, most of the people whining about the creation of the
moderated group are precisely the ones who have had the lowest
signal-to-noise ratios in their posts.
As they say over in alt.slack: "Deal with it, pinkboy."

--
<*> ObQuote: "Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary" -- Robert Louis Stevenson
The_Doge of St. Louis

Robert Holland

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
Mario Mike Irani wrote:

> In article <4i37qk$a...@news.wco.com>,

> Robert Holland <rhol...@triton.mayfield.hp.com> wrote:
> >
> >For all his talk of wanting to be "one of the gang", JMS sure
> >asks for some special concessions. He'll get them, too.
> >
> >--RH
> >

> You're right, and the reason is we're more interested in hearing
> what he has to say than what you, or the other flamers have to say.
> I don't care what kind of a bastard you think JMS is. He has
> insight into the show like none other, so yes, I'll allow some
> concessions to hear them.
>
> Mike

I think you will be very happy in a fan-club newsgroup. That's why
I voted yes.

My only questions: why don't you believe JMS is worth subscribing
to one of the three pay services he belongs to?

How much is his insight worth?

Are you willing to risk the loss of seasons 4 or 5 by encouraging
JMS to write long answers, aggravating his CTS condition? Would
you be willing to give him a few months off to recuperate?

--RH

Robert Holland

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
The_Doge of St. Louis wrote:

> In article <name deleted> wrote:
>
> >For all his talk of wanting to be "one of the gang", JMS sure
> >asks for some special concessions. He'll get them, too.
> And you know what, kiddo? He deserves 'em.
> Sorry to bust anyone's faux egalitarian bubble, but in the real world
> (as opposed to the never-never land of usenet) some people really are more
> interesting to communicate with than others. Some people have
> accomplished more than others. And some people - the ones who are more
> interesting and have accomplished more - are more deserving of respect and
> attention than others.
> Yes, incredible as it may seem, I am much more interested in what the
> creator of B5 has to say about the show than what some random fanboys have
> to say. It's rare that one has the opportunity to exchange ideas directly
> with the creator of something like this, and I find that a much better use
> of my rather precious free time than wading through endless flame wars
> among jejune wankers who've gotten their noses out of joint over the
> suggestion that a published author and executive producer of an innovative
> TV series just *might* have more to contribute to a discussion of that
> series then they have.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You can buy a Genie account anytime. Or CI$. Or AOL,
if you were to back your hollow words with a little cash. You could
probably
con your boss into footing the bill, if you made the effort.

> And in any case, most of the people whining about the creation of the
> moderated group are precisely the ones who have had the lowest
> signal-to-noise ratios in their posts.

The Rangers, four volunteers who fed JMS the usenet feed, and may do so
for Jay's group, argued with the promoderators for 3 months that
moderation was a bad idea. That you accord them little respect by
characterizing their posts in this manner shows your words about
respect were empty.

> As they say over in alt.slack: "Deal with it, pinkboy."

I take it you'll vote yes, then. I did.

--RH

Mario Mike Irani

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
In article <4i37qk$a...@news.wco.com>,

Robert Holland <rhol...@triton.mayfield.hp.com> wrote:

>For all his talk of wanting to be "one of the gang", JMS sure
>asks for some special concessions. He'll get them, too.

Stew Barnes

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
In article <31472D...@wco.com>, Robert Holland <rhol...@wco.com> wrote:

> I take it you'll vote yes, then. I did.

Robert,

Quick question: Will you read the moderated group?

Thanks,

Stew

Robert Holland

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96

Should I? I like the great discussion going on in rastb5 right now.
I expect it will continue.

Will you read rastb5?

--RH

Robert Holland

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
Stew Barnes wrote:

> In article <3148D4...@wco.com>, Robert Holland <rhol...@wco.com> wrote:
>
> > Stew Barnes wrote:

> > > Robert,
> > >
> > > Quick question: Will you read the moderated group?
> zip

> > Should I? I like the great discussion going on in rastb5 right now.
> > I expect it will continue.
> >
> > Will you read rastb5?
>
> Yes; when I have time I will continue to read rastb5. However, you
> haven't answered the question- will you read the moderated group? Or does
> the setup and "fanboy" nature of it preclude your involvment in the
> future?
>
> Stew

I'll read it only if it is interesting. Will you make it interesting?

As soon as Jay gets his group, I'll configure the Stanford news filtering
service to pull from it so I can read at my leisure in email. With luck
I can filter out the chaff to find the wheat.

I remain confident that it will be rastb5 that holds the nuggets of gold.

--RH

Stew Barnes

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96

Scott A. H. Ruggels

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
the...@inlink.com (The_Doge of St. Louis) wrote:

>In article <name deleted> wrote:
>
>>For all his talk of wanting to be "one of the gang", JMS sure
>>asks for some special concessions. He'll get them, too.
> And you know what, kiddo? He deserves 'em.
> Sorry to bust anyone's faux egalitarian bubble, but in the real world
>(as opposed to the never-never land of usenet) some people really are more
>interesting to communicate with than others. Some people have
>accomplished more than others. And some people - the ones who are more
>interesting and have accomplished more - are more deserving of respect and
>attention than others.
> Yes, incredible as it may seem, I am much more interested in what the
>creator of B5 has to say about the show than what some random fanboys have
>to say. It's rare that one has the opportunity to exchange ideas directly
>with the creator of something like this, and I find that a much better use
>of my rather precious free time than wading through endless flame wars
>among jejune wankers who've gotten their noses out of joint over the
>suggestion that a published author and executive producer of an innovative
>TV series just *might* have more to contribute to a discussion of that
>series then they have.
> And in any case, most of the people whining about the creation of the
>moderated group are precisely the ones who have had the lowest
>signal-to-noise ratios in their posts.
> As they say over in alt.slack: "Deal with it, pinkboy."
>
>--
><*> ObQuote: "Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary" -- Robert Louis Stevenson
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>The_Doge of St. Louis

I agree with this sentiment. If someone else out in the land of entertainment wishes to contribute, then those rules would be expand=
ed to include thenmn as well. Rick Berman would probably garner the same special treatment that JMS recieves. But the difference bet=
ween Rick and JMS is the JMS posts. And the difference between JMS and the rest of the internet hoi polloi on this list, is that JMS=
is THE CREATOR OF THE SHOW THAT THIS NEWSGROUP IS BASED ON!!! Anyine who disagrees is either hopelessly egalitarian or dumb as a bo=
x of rock, with an ego that won't let them admit it.

Scott

Paul T. Riddell

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
I really hate to say it, but you're right, m'man. It's the same
reason why most SF writers don't get on the Web or Usenet: they have
better things to do than listen to a bunch of fanboy glibbering and
meeping.

This is a point for everyone: JMS doesn't owe you a thing. You
don't owe him a thing, either, besides taking the time to watch his
show. If he figures that he's better off staying away from this
newsgroup because of legal reasons or simply because he's tired of
flamewars, that's his right. He's a creator of a TV show, not a god
to be feted and hated, and just because you don't have a life doesn't
mean that he doesn't have one, either. If he doesn't want to put out
a line of "B5" action figures and "B5" authentic Super Soakers and
"B5" condoms, then he doesn't have to. Try to remember this, and
apply it to everyone in your life, and everyone will be a lot happier.

Cordially,

Paul T. Riddell
http://www.merid.com
For information on "Green Lantern: The Movie", check out
http://themet.net this Friday!

codex

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
In article <315136...@onramp.net>, "Paul T. Riddell"
<prid...@onramp.net> wrote:

> This is a point for everyone: JMS doesn't owe you a thing. You
> don't owe him a thing, either, besides taking the time to watch his
> show. If he figures that he's better off staying away from this
> newsgroup because of legal reasons or simply because he's tired of
> flamewars, that's his right. He's a creator of a TV show, not a god
> to be feted and hated, and just because you don't have a life doesn't
> mean that he doesn't have one, either. If he doesn't want to put out
> a line of "B5" action figures and "B5" authentic Super Soakers and
> "B5" condoms, then he doesn't have to. Try to remember this, and
> apply it to everyone in your life, and everyone will be a lot happier.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Paul T. Riddell
> http://www.merid.com
> For information on "Green Lantern: The Movie", check out
> http://themet.net this Friday!

I cannot believe the newsgroup was ever so fortunate to have him on to
begin with. I don't worship the man, but if there's another usenet group
that has that kind of access to creative insight of an ongoing project,
please let me know which one.

I'm sure with his bux and his connexions, JMS has a lot better things to
do w/ his time than read this horseshit. But he did. A free gift. People
just do not know how fortunate they are.

--
Tim Johnson
co...@primenet.com