Slobbering Fan Worship & The Egomaniac TV Producer Blues

S. Winter

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
When you really stop to think about it, this whole moderation issue is
pretty silly. Somebody expresses an opinion that he or she doesn't like a
Babylon5 actor, character, script dialogue, the storyline, or whatever, and
that person is ripped to shreds like he or she has just insulted a member
of the family. There's a lot of posts in this newsgroup, when compared to
other newsgroups. In reality, comparatively few flames. I would even go
so far to say that the vast majority of the few flames in this newsgroup
are fired off by the hard-core fans in the direction of those with an
opinion that differs from their own. Ridiculous.

For God's sake. IT'S JUST A TV SHOW. Unless you are a Babylon5 actor,
producer, a merchant selling Babylon5 merchandise, or somebody else with a
vested financial interest in the show, (or a member of their families), why
do you care that Joe Blow or Josephine Blow thinks that a storyline stinks
or somebody can't act? Why does this offend you? IT'S JUST A TV SHOW.

There's a civil war when somebody sees the concept of the Nightwatch as
implausible, or criticizes an actor or actress. What, is Bruce Boxleitner
your best friend's son? Is the late Gene Roddenberry's wife, who recently
had a scintillating guest appearance, also your mother? Were you JMS's
fifth-grade English teacher?

I laugh out loud when I see fans on the on-line Babylon5 newsgroups
tattling to JMS on merchants selling unlicensed Babylon5 merchandise. Are
these fans out any money? Why do they care? Is there some sort of reward
that I don't know about, like when you turn in a bank robber on an IRS
cheat?

Fans in tears because JMS is in pain with carpal tunnel syndrome. Fans in
tears while posting medical advise to JMS about carpal tunnel syndrome. I
might be naive, but don't they have doctors in Los Angeles?

Maybe I'm living on Planet Earth while some of you are figuratively living
on Babylon5, but I just don't get it. The show is on, one hour later it's
off. If it was a really good episode, I might think about it for a minute.
Then I go off and do something else. Maybe do some work, read the
newspaper, read the Usenet newsgroups, read a book, play with the kids, the
dog, the cat. Even talk with the wife.

All of these ridiculous arguments about a moderated newsgroup just to
appease slobbering fan magazine mentalities demanding the inalienable right
to kiss JMS, and be kissed in return. "I love your show, JMS". "Thank
you, Diane. Glad you like it." How much does it cost to join the fan
club?" "We're in the middle of discussions, Jason." "Does Ivanova eat
bacon? Isn't it against her religion?" And then the obligatory response,
which on the screen looks like it's very serious, while Straczynski is
really sitting at his keyboard busting a gut and laughing all the way to
the bank.

The regular newsgroup and the reposts of Straczynski's America Online and
Compuserve posts don't satisfy their cravings for fantasy. Don't these
people lead real lives, or do they live their lives through JMS and these
fictional characters?

Just incredible. A moderated Usenet newsgroup about a fictional television
show! The regular newsgroup with real life opinions and the inability to
kiss the producer just doesn't do it for them. It's almost like the studio
was underwriting the moderated newsgroup! Companies make huge deals with
America Online and Compuserve to promote themselves on their on-line
services. Not this time. No money changing hands. No contracts. No
reciprocal agreements. Just good old-fashioned fan worship to promote the
show. For FREE! Unfrickinbelievable.

But since there's not yet any restrictions on Usenet bandwidth, what the
hell. I guess a vote for it is a vote for keeping these yo-yos off the
streets, off the daytime talk shows, and away from the human resources
department at the Post Office. And, of course, a job at the Post Office
will likely act as a catalyst for a shooting spree. So remember this when
you're voting on this all-important issue: A "Yes" vote is a vote against
mass murder.

Patrick Conley

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) wrote:

[Brilliant monologue munched]

>Maybe I'm living on Planet Earth while some of you are figuratively living
>on Babylon5, but I just don't get it. The show is on, one hour later it's
>off. If it was a really good episode, I might think about it for a minute.
> Then I go off and do something else. Maybe do some work, read the
>newspaper, read the Usenet newsgroups, read a book, play with the kids, the
>dog, the cat. Even talk with the wife.

Hmm, says he has a life, then writes a 70-line jeremiad complaining
about fans enjoying contact with the creator of their favorite show.
70 lines, mind you. Get the 16-ton weight.

--
Patrick Conley (palq...@ix.netcom.com)
Formerly (izz...@mvs.oac.ucla.edu)

Today's a day to celebrate, the foe have met their fate.
The order for rejoicing and dancing has come from our warlord.

what does THIS button do?

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) writes:
[...]

> Maybe I'm living on Planet Earth while some of you are figuratively living
> on Babylon5, but I just don't get it. The show is on, one hour later it's
> off. If it was a really good episode, I might think about it for a minute.
[...]

you _don't_ get it. I have B5 _dreams_.

in fact, some month's ago i posted an execrable haiku inspired by my B5
dreams to another froup.

I titled it "fanboy drool".

Egomaniac TV producer? Well, duh! (There wouldn't _be_ a B5 if he weren't.)

.max

i dreamt of delenn
she lives on babylon 5

porkm...@usa.pipeline.com

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96

>swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) wrote:
>>Maybe I'm living on Planet Earth while some of you are figuratively
living
>on Babylon5, but I just don't get it. The show is on, one hour later it's

>off. If it was a really good episode, I might think about it for a
minute.

> Then I go off and do something else. Maybe do some work, read the
>newspaper, read the Usenet newsgroups, read a book, play with the kids,
the
>dog, the cat. Even talk with the wife.

On Mar 16, 1996 09:11:19 in article <Re: Slobbering Fan Worship & The
Egomaniac TV Producer Blues>, 'palq...@ix.netcom.com (Patrick Conley)'
wrote:

>Hmm, says he has a life, then writes a 70-line jeremiad complaining
>about fans enjoying contact with the creator of their favorite show.
>70 lines, mind you. Get the 16-ton weight.

You're knocking *him* for not having a life? You actually took the time to
count the number of lines in his post. Unlike him, you obviously don't
have a family to spend time with, and you have to spend your time drooling
over your favorite TV producer. And if you're counting, this jeremiad is
4 lines. 4 lines, mind you. Get the 6-pack of beer.

-AJT-

Julian P. Graham

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
In article <4idett$1...@news1.h1.usa.pipeline.com>
swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. "S. Winter" writes:

> When you really stop to think about it, this whole moderation issue is
> pretty silly. Somebody expresses an opinion that he or she doesn't like a
> Babylon5 actor, character, script dialogue, the storyline, or whatever, and
> that person is ripped to shreds like he or she has just insulted a member
> of the family.

No, people only get "ripped to shreds" when they troll. For example,
stating that Michael O'Hare left the show for reasons other than those
stated by JMS/MOH, *with no evidence to back up your claim*, may well
get you flamed. OTOH, stating that you prefer Sheridan to Sinclair
will prompt some posters to disagree, while others will support your
point of view. It's called discussion.

> There's a lot of posts in this newsgroup, when compared to
> other newsgroups. In reality, comparatively few flames. I would even go
> so far to say that the vast majority of the few flames in this newsgroup
> are fired off by the hard-core fans in the direction of those with an
> opinion that differs from their own. Ridiculous.

You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

> For God's sake. IT'S JUST A TV SHOW. Unless you are a Babylon5 actor,
> producer, a merchant selling Babylon5 merchandise, or somebody else with a
> vested financial interest in the show, (or a member of their families), why
> do you care that Joe Blow or Josephine Blow thinks that a storyline stinks
> or somebody can't act? Why does this offend you? IT'S JUST A TV SHOW.

Who said anyone was offended? You seem to be confusing disagreement
with being offended. We care because this is a discussion group for
Babylon 5. If we weren't interested in reading other people's views
on the show, and putting forward our own views, we wouldn't be here.

> There's a civil war when somebody sees the concept of the Nightwatch as
> implausible, or criticizes an actor or actress. What, is Bruce Boxleitner
> your best friend's son? Is the late Gene Roddenberry's wife, who recently
> had a scintillating guest appearance, also your mother? Were you JMS's
> fifth-grade English teacher?

AFAIK, I'm not related to anyone involved with the show. Does that
mean I shouldn't have an opinion on the storylines, and the issues
raised? That's what I come here to read about. Didn't you realise
that this was the purpose of rastb5?

> I laugh out loud when I see fans on the on-line Babylon5 newsgroups
> tattling to JMS on merchants selling unlicensed Babylon5 merchandise. Are
> these fans out any money? Why do they care? Is there some sort of reward
> that I don't know about, like when you turn in a bank robber on an IRS
> cheat?

These fans care about the show, and are concerned when people selling
unlicensed merchandise try to rip off those involved with the show.
BTW, some of us would turn in a bank robber even without the offer of a
reward. We'd consider it the right thing to do. YMMV.

> Fans in tears because JMS is in pain with carpal tunnel syndrome. Fans in
> tears while posting medical advise to JMS about carpal tunnel syndrome. I
> might be naive, but don't they have doctors in Los Angeles?

Fans in tears? Which fans?

> Maybe I'm living on Planet Earth while some of you are figuratively living
> on Babylon5, but I just don't get it. The show is on, one hour later it's
> off. If it was a really good episode, I might think about it for a minute.
> Then I go off and do something else. Maybe do some work, read the
> newspaper, read the Usenet newsgroups, read a book, play with the kids, the
> dog, the cat. Even talk with the wife.

Me too. Alternatively, I might make some comments about the episode
here on the newsgroup, and get involved in a discussion with fellow
fans of the show.

> All of these ridiculous arguments about a moderated newsgroup just to
> appease slobbering fan magazine mentalities demanding the inalienable right
> to kiss JMS, and be kissed in return. "I love your show, JMS". "Thank
> you, Diane. Glad you like it." How much does it cost to join the fan
> club?" "We're in the middle of discussions, Jason." "Does Ivanova eat
> bacon? Isn't it against her religion?" And then the obligatory response,
> which on the screen looks like it's very serious, while Straczynski is
> really sitting at his keyboard busting a gut and laughing all the way to
> the bank.

How exactly is JMS "laughing all the way to the bank"? He makes no money
from being online. Your statement would seem to be based on a false
premise.

> The regular newsgroup and the reposts of Straczynski's America Online and
> Compuserve posts don't satisfy their cravings for fantasy. Don't these
> people lead real lives, or do they live their lives through JMS and these
> fictional characters?

I'm sure they all lead very real lives. Part of their life is being a
fan of the TV show, Babylon 5. Do you have a problem with this?

> Just incredible. A moderated Usenet newsgroup about a fictional television
> show! The regular newsgroup with real life opinions and the inability to
> kiss the producer just doesn't do it for them. It's almost like the studio
> was underwriting the moderated newsgroup! Companies make huge deals with
> America Online and Compuserve to promote themselves on their on-line
> services. Not this time. No money changing hands. No contracts. No
> reciprocal agreements. Just good old-fashioned fan worship to promote the
> show. For FREE! Unfrickinbelievable.

You know, this "fan worship" is a funny thing. The thing is, no matter
how much money you throw around, you can't buy it. It simply cannot be
purchased. It can only be earned by creating something that people
consider to be worthwhile and of value. I think that says quite a lot
about Babylon 5.

> But since there's not yet any restrictions on Usenet bandwidth, what the
> hell. I guess a vote for it is a vote for keeping these yo-yos off the
> streets, off the daytime talk shows, and away from the human resources
> department at the Post Office. And, of course, a job at the Post Office
> will likely act as a catalyst for a shooting spree. So remember this when
> you're voting on this all-important issue: A "Yes" vote is a vote against
> mass murder.

I'm sorry, but I can no longer follow your rather strange progression
of thought. Are you implying that post office workers are likely to
commit mass murder? I thought that you claimed earlier that you were
living on Planet Earth?

BTW, just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know how easy it is
to set up multiple user names on a usa.pipeline.com account?

Regards
Julian P. Graham | "I suppose you'll have to skip the country now.
Warrington, | A fugitive, eh. You'll be hunted down like...
England. | well, a dog." Wallace, _A_Close_Shave_
============================= jpgr...@starfury.demon.co.uk ==========

The_Doge of St. Louis

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
In article <4idett$1...@news1.h1.usa.pipeline.com>,
swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) wrote:

>When you really stop to think about it, this whole moderation issue is
>pretty silly. Somebody expresses an opinion that he or she doesn't like a
>Babylon5 actor, character, script dialogue, the storyline, or whatever, and
>that person is ripped to shreds like he or she has just insulted a member
>of the family.

This is a rather wildly exaggerated characterization of what goes on
here, to say the least. In fact, it's my impression that fans of the show
have a tendency to nit-pick it to death in this forum. The only people
who get flamed to any degree are those who are not only critical but
critical in an abusive, insulting, or arrogant fashion, or who make a
habit of personally attacking other posters or jms.

>There's a lot of posts in this newsgroup, when compared to
>other newsgroups. In reality, comparatively few flames. I would even go
>so far to say that the vast majority of the few flames in this newsgroup
>are fired off by the hard-core fans in the direction of those with an
>opinion that differs from their own. Ridiculous.

Yes, that is rather a ridiculous statement. >:-{)> It's innacurate, in
any case. The reality of the situation is that the s/n ratio here is
about average for usenet. Better than (say) talk.abortion, but worse than
some others. And your comment about the source of that flamage is simply
inaccurate, in my experience.

[Much insult-slinging deleted]

Fer Dobbs' sake, man, why have you gotten your knickers in such a twist
about this? After all, it's only a usenet news group. If you're so
offended by everyone who posts in it and feel such contempt for them, why
not just unsubscribe? There are literally thousands of newsgroups in the
distribution list (the number varies according to what NNTP server you
use, of course). Why spend your valuable time on such a lenghty attack on
the folks who post in this one? Why not just do some work, read the
newspaper, read the other Usenet newsgroups, read a book, play with the
kids, the dog, the cat? Or even talk with the wife?
In fact, why read usenet at all? It's just the internet, after all.
The vast majority of the American populace doesn't even know what it is,
except that it needs to be censored. >:-{)>
Seems to me you're taking this whole thing far too seriously.

--
<*> ObQuote: "In Hollywood, if you don't have happiness, you send out for it."
-- Rex Reed

Aimee Powell

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
In article <laneDoC...@netcom.com>,
Charles Hoppenrath <la...@netcom.com> wrote:

>'Waste of USENET bandwidth to have a moderated group?'
>
>Well thank you very much Senator Exxon......but what holy authority
>appointed you guardian of the Internet? hmm???? Obviously you were not
>here when the flame war proceeded....god it was ugly. I dont know If I
>favor moderation, but I sure as hell dont think its a waste of bandwidth,
>especially when you have so many more dumb ass groups out there
>(alt.chicks.want.joe-bob anyone????)

I don' t think that Senator Exxon is *for* freedom of expression/opinion, in
this medium at least. The moderation proposed strikes me as exactly the sort
of thing he would like to see happen on a larger scale. I can't see that a
proposal to moderate discussion affords anyone more opportunity and less
guardianship than the alternative.

jere7my tho?rpe

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) wrote:

*"Does Ivanova eat
*bacon? Isn't it against her religion?" And then the obligatory response,
*which on the screen looks like it's very serious, while Straczynski is
*really sitting at his keyboard busting a gut and laughing all the way to
*the bank.

If you think "Given that she had a relationship with Talia Winters, I
would imagine that she's eaten many things that aren't kosher" looked
"very serious," I suggest you beg, borrow or steal a sense of humor.

And quit changing your username, Porkmatzoh (@usa.pipeline.com).
You're getting past my killfile.

----j7y

**************************** <*> ****************************
jere7my tho?rpe "Something..."
Physicist and Artist Guy <Something _fell_!>
jtho...@cc.swarthmore.edu "...fell."
(610) 604-0669 Cerebus, _Church and State_

Michael J.King Sr.

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
porkm...@usa.pipeline.com() wrote:

>*************************************************************************************
>You're knocking *him* for not having a life? You actually took the time to
>count the number of lines in his post. Unlike him, you obviously don't
>have a family to spend time with, and you have to spend your time drooling
>over your favorite TV producer. And if you're counting, this jeremiad is
>4 lines. 4 lines, mind you. Get the 6-pack of beer.
>

>-AJT-

Could you possibly be anymore condescending?
Later.Mike#139

Jay Denebeim

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <1996Mar1...@fnalv.fnal.gov>,
what does THIS button do? <max...@fnalv.fnal.gov> wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^

You sir, are sick and twisted. BTW there's a few people I'd like you
to demonstrate what the accelerator looks like on the inside when
powered up to. Think you could help me with this?

Jay
--
Jay Denebeim dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us
duke.edu!wolves!deepthot!denebeim

Chris Carter

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <jthorpe1-170...@ara8.beardsley.swarthmore.edu>,
jtho...@cc.swarthmore.edu (jere7my tho?rpe) wrote:
:swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) wrote:
:
:*"Does Ivanova eat bacon? Isn't it against her religion?"
^^^^^

:And quit changing your username, Porkmatzoh (@usa.pipeline.com).
^^^^^^^^^^

What's wrong with this picture?

Chris Carter -- car...@teleport.com Unaffiliated with Teleport or FOX TV.
http://www.teleport.com/~carter/ ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/carter/
'finger -l car...@teleport.com' for PGP public key.
<*> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes. <*>

Jay Denebeim

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <827013...@starfury.demon.co.uk>,

Julian P. Graham <jpgr...@starfury.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>BTW, just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know how easy it is
>to set up multiple user names on a usa.pipeline.com account?

Trivial. I see you noticed that this person's posts sound like the
other two psudonyms of the traif one too, eh?

Raymond Francis Fitzpatrick

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
On 16 Mar 1996 porkm...@usa.pipeline.com wrote:
> You're knocking *him* for not having a life? You actually took the time to
> count the number of lines in his post. Unlike him, you obviously don't
> have a family to spend time with, and you have to spend your time drooling
> over your favorite TV producer. And if you're counting, this jeremiad is
> 4 lines. 4 lines, mind you. Get the 6-pack of beer.

Hmmm. 492 msgs between this jewel and the end of the list as I write this.
I wonder how many people bothered to point out that the jeremiad was 5 lines.

Dormouse

Max Monningh

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
porkm...@usa.pipeline.com writes:

>dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) wrote:
>>what does THIS button do? <max...@fnalv.fnal.gov> wrote:
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
[...]

>>You sir, are sick and twisted. BTW there's a few people I'd like you
>>to demonstrate what the accelerator looks like on the inside when
>>powered up to. Think you could help me with this?
>>
>>Jay
> For the first time, I agree with Denebeim. I don't know about the
> accelerator, but I'd like to know what he's doing posting in a rec.
> newsgroup using a government account. Your tax dollars at work. What a
> country.

*plonk*

.max
max...@fnalv.fnal.gov
max...@mcs.com
mmon...@igc.apc.org

porkm...@usa.pipeline.com

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

On Mar 17, 1996 06:29:20 in article <Re: Slobbering Fan Worship & The

wrote:

>You know, you moron, most newsreaders today have a handy little
>feature that tell you how many lines are in a post. I guess
>pipeline's software doesn't have this feature.
>Incidently, your post was 5 lines. If you keep practicing those basic
>math skills, you can go to the second grade some day!!

>Patrick Conley (palq...@ix.netcom.com)

You're right. Pipeline's newsreader doesn't have this feature. Thanks for
the intelligent name-calling, though. Brilliant satire. And if you keep
practicing your remedial spelling skills, you'll learn how to spell
"incidentally".

-A.J. Tucker-

porkm...@usa.pipeline.com

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
On Mar 18, 1996 22:13:47 in article <Re: Slobbering Fan Worship & The
Egomaniac TV Producer Blues>, 'Raymond Francis Fitzpatrick

Not on my reader, Door Mouse.

-A.J. Tucker-

porkm...@usa.pipeline.com

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

>In article <827013...@starfury.demon.co.uk>,
>Julian P. Graham <jpgr...@starfury.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>BTW, just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know how easy it is
>>to set up multiple user names on a usa.pipeline.com account?

It's easy. Pay an extra $60.00 per year for each additional user name, on
top of the standard $240.00 per year. So with as many people as I've been
accused of being, I spend about $5,000.00 per year on Internet services.
Nice theory, though. Keep it up. See you in the next Pink Panther sequel.

-A.J. Tucker-

what does THIS button do?

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

Hernan Espinoza

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
Porkmatzoh calling itself swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) trolls:

>I laugh out loud when I see fans on the on-line Babylon5 newsgroups
>tattling to JMS on merchants selling unlicensed Babylon5 merchandise. Are
>these fans out any money? Why do they care? Is there some sort of reward
>that I don't know about, like when you turn in a bank robber on an IRS
>cheat?

I'd like to think that it is a basic sense of right and wrong and
respect for the law. It's unfashionable, but some people are still
motivated by things other than "what's in it for me?"

>Fans in tears because JMS is in pain with carpal tunnel syndrome. Fans in
>tears while posting medical advise to JMS about carpal tunnel syndrome. I
>might be naive, but don't they have doctors in Los Angeles?

Compassion, you may want to look into it. For instance, I feel
compassion for you when I think about the life that led you to have so
much bile to spread around. Good luck. -Hernan

Chris Carter

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
In article <thedoge-1703...@thedoge.inlink.com>,
the...@inlink.com (The_Doge of St. Louis) wrote:
:In article <314a8438...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, palq...@ix.netcom.com
:(Patrick Conley) wrote:
:
:>Hmm, says he has a life, then writes a 70-line jeremiad complaining

:>about fans enjoying contact with the creator of their favorite show.
:>70 lines, mind you. Get the 16-ton weight.

: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition....>:-{)>

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.spanish-inquisition ?

"And we will moderate for three different criteria; flames, trolls, story
ideas and sp-- No, make that four different criteria; flames, trolls,
story ideas and spam!"

"Spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam, Lovely Spam... Lovely Spam"

porkm...@usa.pipeline.com

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

>In article <1996Mar1...@fnalv.fnal.gov>,
>what does THIS button do? <max...@fnalv.fnal.gov> wrote:
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^

On Mar 18, 1996 01:07:15 in article <Re: Slobbering Fan Worship & The
Egomaniac TV Producer Blues>, 'dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim)'
wrote:

>You sir, are sick and twisted. BTW there's a few people I'd like you
>to demonstrate what the accelerator looks like on the inside when
>powered up to. Think you could help me with this?
>
>Jay

For the first time, I agree with Denebeim. I don't know about the
accelerator, but I'd like to know what he's doing posting in a rec.
newsgroup using a government account. Your tax dollars at work. What a
country.

-A.J. Tucker-

Max Monningh

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
>>what does THIS button do? <max...@fnalv.fnal.gov> wrote:
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
[...]

>>You sir, are sick and twisted. BTW there's a few people I'd like you
>>to demonstrate what the accelerator looks like on the inside when
>>powered up to. Think you could help me with this?
>>
>>Jay
> For the first time, I agree with Denebeim. I don't know about the
> accelerator, but I'd like to know what he's doing posting in a rec.
> newsgroup using a government account. Your tax dollars at work. What a
> country.

*plonk*

.max
max...@fnalv.fnal.gov
max...@mcs.com
mmon...@igc.apc.org

Raymond Francis Fitzpatrick

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
On 19 Mar 1996 porkm...@usa.pipeline.com wrote:

> >Hmmm. 492 msgs between this jewel and the end of the list as I write this.
>
> >I wonder how many people bothered to point out that the jeremiad was 5
> lines.
> >

> >Dormouse
> >

> Not on my reader, Door Mouse.

Hmmm. I'm 3rd in line to point it out & I'm the one quoted.
By some one who picks on people for spelling, and doesn't know Dormouse
no less.
Well, at least it wasn't Door Stop.

Patrick Conley

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
porkm...@usa.pipeline.com wrote:

>>porkm...@usa.pipeline.com() wrote:
>

>You're right. Pipeline's newsreader doesn't have this feature. Thanks for
>the intelligent name-calling, though. Brilliant satire. And if you keep
>practicing your remedial spelling skills, you'll learn how to spell
>"incidentally".
>

>-A.J. Tucker-

It's considered bad form to correct spelling on the usenet. Of
course, one could technically argue that I did much the same when I
pointed out that you couldn't count. But then, of course, you
originally flamed me because my newsreader wasn't as lame as yours.

I've seen the light. I want to have a life, just like yours, A.J.,
with your numerous internet aliases and your obvious people skills and
popular personality.

Michael Stegbauer

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
porkm...@usa.pipeline.com() wrote:

>>swi...@usa.pipeline.com(S. Winter) wrote:
>>>Maybe I'm living on Planet Earth while some of you are figuratively
>living
>>on Babylon5, but I just don't get it. The show is on, one hour later it's
>
>>off. If it was a really good episode, I might think about it for a
>minute.
>> Then I go off and do something else. Maybe do some work, read the
>>newspaper, read the Usenet newsgroups, read a book, play with the kids,
>the
>>dog, the cat. Even talk with the wife.
>

>On Mar 16, 1996 09:11:19 in article <Re: Slobbering Fan Worship & The
>Egomaniac TV Producer Blues>, 'palq...@ix.netcom.com (Patrick Conley)'

>wrote:
>
>>Hmm, says he has a life, then writes a 70-line jeremiad complaining
>>about fans enjoying contact with the creator of their favorite show.
>>70 lines, mind you. Get the 16-ton weight.
>*************************************************************************************
>You're knocking *him* for not having a life? You actually took the time to
>count the number of lines in his post. Unlike him, you obviously don't
>have a family to spend time with, and you have to spend your time drooling
>over your favorite TV producer. And if you're counting, this jeremiad is
>4 lines. 4 lines, mind you. Get the 6-pack of beer.
>

>-AJT-

You ever get one of those joke VMails which is nothing but 200 people
saying "I think this will interest you" or some such thing... Well,
here we go...

You're Knocking **him** for not having a life? *You* actually took the
time to count the number of lines in *his* post... obviously, you don't
have 'wc' handy... Send *me* the 6-pack of beer. ;-)

Chocolate is a terrible thing to waste.
stegbau...@tandem.com

Rothwang

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
In article <4iid03$9...@deepthot.cary.nc.us>, dene...@deepthot.cary.nc.us
(Jay Denebeim) wrote:

> In article <1996Mar1...@fnalv.fnal.gov>,

> what does THIS button do? <max...@fnalv.fnal.gov> wrote:
>

> You sir, are sick and twisted. BTW there's a few people I'd like you
> to demonstrate what the accelerator looks like on the inside when
> powered up to. Think you could help me with this?
>
> Jay

Dude, that's funny as hell!!!!!! Let the dude alone! ;)

david....@wash.coll.edu