Babylon 20th Anniversary at Phoenix Comicon 2013!

zof...@deepthot.org

Dec 5, 2012, 10:41:09 AM12/5/12

Phoenix Comicon started guest announcements today! First announcement
is Babylon 5 20th Anniversay with Bruce Boxleitner, Bill Mumy, Claudia
Christian, Jerry Doyle, Julie Caitlin Brown, Mira Furlan, Walter
Koenig, Pat Tallman, Stephen Furst and JMS!

Woohoo! YJay and I will be there as we have been for the past 3
years. This con is always lots of fun with great media, comic and
writer guests. Fantastic panels and a dealer's room stuffed full!
Lots of great cosplay too.

I am not affiliated with Phoenix Comicon except as a very happy attendee!

http://www.phoenixcomicon.com

See you there!!

Oh, yes it is hot in Phoenix in the summer but the hotels and
convention center are very well air conditioned and most restuarants
have misters outside which work wonderfully to keep things tolerable.

Cheryl
--
*Moderator: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated ,sci.space.moderated *
*I am grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are grey. *

Jan

Dec 5, 2012, 4:25:51 PM12/5/12
You beat me, Cheryl! Expect a duplicate sometime soon-ish.

I'm definitely going to this! I missed all of the big cons while the show was on so there's no way I'm gonna miss this one.

Who else? It'll be great to see Jay and Cheryl again and we have to figure that this sort of thing isn't likely to happen again.

Jan

Nicole Massey

Dec 5, 2012, 7:58:46 PM12/5/12

"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message
I probably can't make this one -- Phoenix is a long treck for me and the
guide dog, and with my fixed income (though it always seems broken at the
end of the month) I might be able to afford Worldcon, but not this too.

Jan

Dec 6, 2012, 7:31:23 AM12/6/12
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:58:46 PM UTC-5, Nicole Massey wrote:

> I probably can't make this one -- Phoenix is a long treck for me and the
>
> guide dog, and with my fixed income (though it always seems broken at the
>
> end of the month) I might be able to afford Worldcon, but not this too.

Sorry to hear that, Nicole. Already this is shaping up to be a great opportunity to meet more of the fans I've known online for years but never in person.

Jan

Jay Denebeim

Dec 6, 2012, 9:16:40 AM12/6/12
In article <k9npul$9ug$1...@dent.deepthot>, <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:

>I am not affiliated with Phoenix Comicon except as a very happy attendee!

However, one of this newsgroup's alumni is: Lee Whiteside. I suspect
he was the one responsible for pumping people up about these guests.

As Joe said: "You don't understand, my people are coming", there's
only going to be about 30,000 people there, let's swamp the place.

Jay

--
* Jay Denebeim Moderator rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated *
* newsgroup submission address: b5...@deepthot.org *

Jay Denebeim

Dec 6, 2012, 9:20:55 AM12/6/12
In article <k9oqp6$d8e$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com> wrote:

>I probably can't make this one -- Phoenix is a long treck for me and
>the guide dog, and with my fixed income (though it always seems
>broken at the end of the month) I might be able to afford Worldcon,
>but not this too.

Sorry to hear this, but you're right about your choice. Worldcon is
always the best for people who like read books. Also, it won't be as
crowded and they're very sensative to the needs of the disabled.
Worldcon was accepting of and making arrangements for the disabled for
decades before it was cool to do so.

Charlie E.

Dec 6, 2012, 8:05:49 PM12/6/12
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:25:51 -0800 (PST), Jan <janmsc...@aol.com>
wrote:
this sounds interesting, and it only a short drive from here...

Will have to see how the finances and time are going!

Cheryl, compared to SDCC, is this event more accessible and enjoyable?
I won't go to SDCC any more, it is just too much of a zoo to be fun
anymore.

Charlie

zof...@deepthot.org

Dec 7, 2012, 1:02:34 AM12/7/12
In article <l4g2c8ha7bsta6kqv...@4ax.com>,
I've never been to SDCC. I hate large crowds. That being said, PCC
has been growing each year I've attended and reached a bit over 30K
last year. But they do a good job with line management and such. It
took no time at all to get our badges and into the main convention
space. The convention center and hotels are fully ADA compliant.

I have arthritis in my knees and hips and move real slow sometimes but
I managed the con pretty well. It will be hot outside but the A/C in
the hotels and convention center. Use sunscreen, a hat or
parasol/umbrella and carry a bottle of water around.

news

Dec 7, 2012, 8:29:16 AM12/7/12
On 12/6/2012 8:05 PM, Charlie E. wrote:

> this sounds interesting, and it only a short drive from here...
>
> Will have to see how the finances and time are going!

Lucky you! For me it's over $500 in airfare from Newark NJ to Phoenix.
It's probably one of the last times to see a group like this together.
I may just do it.

Mike

Jay Denebeim

Dec 8, 2012, 2:52:46 PM12/8/12
In article <k9npul$9ug$1...@dent.deepthot>, <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:

>http://www.phoenixcomicon.com
>
>See you there!!

And it seems like there's alot of interest. I'm thinking of some sort
of party, or something. It would be good to gather again.

Amy Guskin

Dec 18, 2012, 11:24:26 PM12/18/12
(in article <ka05qe$gpn$1...@dent.deepthot>):

> In article <k9npul$9ug$1...@dent.deepthot>, <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.phoenixcomicon.com
>>
>> See you there!!
>
> And it seems like there's alot of interest. I'm thinking of some sort
> of party, or something. It would be good to gather again. <<

My husband was just laid off (it's December  if you work in high tech, you
have a 47% chance of being laid off!), but if he gets a good (or any) job
soon enough, I might come out for this. Although it'll definitely make me
sad. So many B5 people, but so many huge absences still very keenly felt.

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

Lee.Wh...@phoenixcomicon.com

Jan 16, 2013, 9:22:39 PM1/16/13
Yes, I am still around and very much involved with Phoenix Comicon. I am the Books & Authors Manager and am also involved with the Babylon 5 stuff. As Jan indicated, I really don't see any other convention doing anything like this for Babylon 5. Things like the Firefly reunion at last year's SDCC was pretty much arranged by the Science Channel and we all know how Warners feels about B5.

We're planning to do some fan panels as well (although scheduling them so they aren't opposite a B5 related guest may be tricky). If you have any ideas for fan panels, send them to my email noted at the end of the post.

For those planning flights, make sure you are there Sunday afternoon, which will be the big Babylon 5 panel. Solo and group panels with the actors and Joe will be scattered throughout Friday and Saturday.

And there will be some additional Babylon 5 related guests announced soon, likely as the last ones in the current round of announcements.

Any questions, send them to my Phoenix Comicon email, lee dot whiteside at phoenixcomicon.com

Amy Guskin

Jan 19, 2013, 11:34:03 AM1/19/13
(in article <ca91eb4a-68ac-4d27...@googlegroups.com>):

> For those planning flights, make sure you are there Sunday afternoon, which
> will be the big Babylon 5 panel. Solo and group panels with the actors and
> Joe will be scattered throughout Friday and Saturday.<<

Hey Lee, any idea what time on Sunday afternoon? I am trying to figure out
whether I am going to fly home on Sunday, or early Monday.

Thanks!

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

Jan

Jan 30, 2013, 9:57:41 AM1/30/13
to ais...@fjordstone.com
For those who may not have heard, four more actors have been added to the line-up:

Peter Jurasik
Tracy Scoggins
Robin Atkin Downes
Andrea Thompson

...which brings the count to 14 actors plus JMS. Woo-hoo!!

Jan

Stile4aly

Feb 22, 2013, 2:06:40 PM2/22/13
For once, I am very glad to be living in Phoenix. Happy anniversary, everyone.

Faith manages.

Stile4aly

Amy Guskin

Feb 26, 2013, 8:07:43 AM2/26/13
(in article <10347e8a-e385-402a...@googlegroups.com>):

> For once, I am very glad to be living in Phoenix. Happy anniversary,
> everyone. <<

See you in May, then!

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

Troy A. Rutter

Feb 27, 2013, 9:44:47 AM2/27/13
It's been a while since I've posted here, but thought I'd chime in and say I am really looking forward to it too. Took some creative scheduling to make it happen, but really, really happy I was able to do so.

See you there!

zof...@deepthot.org

Mar 5, 2013, 2:10:50 PM3/5/13
In article <6fe6be9b-5c04-49e9...@googlegroups.com>,
Woo hoo! I hope we all get a chance to meet and hang out.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:34:13 PM6/14/16
From: Jan <janmsc...@aol.com>

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:35:13 PM6/14/16
From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:35:33 PM6/14/16
From: Charlie E. <edmo...@ieee.org>

wrote:

>You beat me, Cheryl! Expect a duplicate sometime soon-ish.
>
>I'm definitely going to this! I missed all of the big cons while the show was
on so there's no way I'm gonna miss this one.

>Who else? It'll be great to see Jay and Cheryl again and we have to figure
that this sort of thing isn't likely to happen again.

>Jan
this sounds interesting, and it only a short drive from here...

Will have to see how the finances and time are going!

Cheryl, compared to SDCC, is this event more accessible and enjoyable?
I won't go to SDCC any more, it is just too much of a zoo to be fun
anymore.

Charlie

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:35:57 PM6/14/16
From: dene...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim)

In article <k9npul$9ug$1...@dent.deepthot>, <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:

>I am not affiliated with Phoenix Comicon except as a very happy attendee!

However, one of this newsgroup's alumni is: Lee Whiteside. I suspect
he was the one responsible for pumping people up about these guests.

As Joe said: "You don't understand, my people are coming", there's
only going to be about 30,000 people there, let's swamp the place.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:41:46 PM6/14/16
From: Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>

>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:52:46 -0500, Jay Denebeim wrote
(in article <ka05qe$gpn$1...@dent.deepthot>):

> In article <k9npul$9ug$1...@dent.deepthot>, <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.phoenixcomicon.com
>>
>> See you there!!
>
> And it seems like there's alot of interest. I'm thinking of some sort
> of party, or something. It would be good to gather again. <<

My husband was just laid off (it's December 侠if you work in high tech, you

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:41:51 PM6/14/16
From: "news" <ne...@newsfe03.iad.highwinds-media.com>

On 12/6/2012 8:05 PM, Charlie E. wrote:

> this sounds interesting, and it only a short drive from here...
>
> Will have to see how the finances and time are going!

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:43:45 PM6/14/16
From: Stile4aly <stil...@yahoo.com>