Successful Writing Execution

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 9:30:22 PM2/17/09
I was reading an old post from jms regarding story 'ideas' ... It was
related to 'Gethsemane'.

http://www.jmsnews.com/thread.aspx?id=_=%20Original%20Ideas%20=,%20etc.
(if you copy and paste the url then it works)

He mentioned something about the success of ideas or stories being the
'execution' of it. I've been uncertain exactly what that means- is it
a reference to how the story is developed, it's cohesion, characters,
the writing of the complete story, etc.

Or is it in reference to the industry of writing, tv, and producing.
Such as who you present it to, what the climate is like in the
industry ...

- Ron

John W. Kennedy

Feb 18, 2009, 3:43:28 PM2/18/09

Why, in fact, both are true, depending on how you define "success" in
the first place. But in JMS's actual posting, he's clearly talking
about the first.

Duggy

Feb 18, 2009, 9:54:02 PM2/18/09

You can make a Shakespeare film with dodgy sets, bad actors, no budget
and a bad director and end up wit6h crap. You can also make great
films from Shakespeare.

The execution can make or break a story no matter how good it is.

===
= DUG.
===

Ron

Feb 18, 2009, 10:46:50 PM2/18/09
On Feb 18, 2:43 pm, "John W. Kennedy" <John.W.Kenn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 17, 9:30 pm, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was reading an old post from jms regarding story 'ideas' ... It was
> > related to 'Gethsemane'.
>
> >http://www.jmsnews.com/thread.aspx?id_%20Original%20Ideas%20,%20etc.

> > (if you copy and paste the url then it works)
>
> > He mentioned something about the success of ideas or stories being the
> > 'execution' of it.  I've been uncertain exactly what that means- is it
> > a reference to how the story is developed, it's cohesion, characters,
> > the writing of the complete story, etc.
>
> > Or is it in reference to the industry of writing, tv, and producing.
> > Such as who you present it to, what the climate is like in the
> > industry ...
>
> Why, in fact, both are true, depending on how you define "success" in
> the first place. But in JMS's actual posting, he's clearly talking
> about the first.

Well, at least I know I have talent that's going no where.

- Ron

David Williams

Feb 20, 2009, 12:59:57 AM2/20/09

"Ron" <apar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>Well, at least I know I have talent that's going no where.

That's being... hard on yourself.
You made a mistake.
That's all.

You want to write, no one's stopping you.

You want to write in the B5 universe, no one's stopping you.

You want to write in the B5 universe for others to read, no one's stopping
you. Just don't e-mail it jms or try to post it here, because...

You want to write in the B5 universe and put it in front of jms... well,
that's where the train runs out of track and plummets off the cliff. Not
going to jump back into the intellectual property rights law debate. It's
just, NOT the way to go about these things.

You want to write in the B5 universe and see it go somewhere, you first of
all have to recognize that there are no current B5 media productions, so no
one is hiring B5 writers. And reality is, if something came along, jms
would pretty much be the guy developing it, and therefore has dibs on it. I
think you could consider writing B5 novels. I just don't know what's
required to be an authorized writer and see them published. Maybe someone
here knows... Either way, I'm guessing first step is you might need to
hire an agent. But again, I dunno.

Or, you could write in a universe of your very own...

When you say you have talent but are "going no where..." I'd modify your
statement somewhat. Metaphorically speaking, you stood on the corner with
your script in your hand, took a deep breath, closed your eyes, and took a
step forward...

In front of a Mack truck...

Hit the RESET button and you're back on the sidewalk. Now you need to look
around and find the correct path to where you want to go.

Good Luck!

Regards,
David W.

Ron

Feb 20, 2009, 3:15:35 AM2/20/09
On Feb 19, 11:59 pm, "David Williams" <kosh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Ron" <apart...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks David, I have developed a series universe, and working on
another one. As a fan I just didn't like the destruction of the
station in the last episode of B5, so I wrote a plausible re-
construction and a continuation of the storyline, advancing it an
additional 5 years.

Oh well, I know better to build on another man's foundation.

No I would never post a spec/script or series breakdown in a public
forum. Send it to the series creator and alienate myself from him,
sure, but post it where the general planetary population can see it-
no.

You know, I was thinking, I would like to do some collaborative work
in sci-fi. Maybe find a like minded Christian write or at least
someone with a high moral standard. One of the things I liked about
B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
scantily dressed women.

- Ron

Amy Guskin

Feb 20, 2009, 7:54:25 AM2/20/09
<gnlgsv$9tf$1...@news.motzarella.org>):

> "Ron" <apar...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well, at least I know I have talent that's going no where.
>
> That's being... hard on yourself.
> You made a mistake.
> That's all.
>
> You want to write, no one's stopping you.
>
> You want to write in the B5 universe, no one's stopping you.
>
> You want to write in the B5 universe for others to read, no one's stopping
> you. Just don't e-mail it jms or try to post it here, because... <<

Well, let's be clear on this point. You can write whatever fanfic you want
for your own pleasure, but fanfic that is _distributed_ is technically an
infringement of copyright (that's "distributed," meaning "giving it to
others," which you should note has nothing to do with whether or not money
exchanges hands). It's true that most copyright owners of those sorts of
properties (the ones that get fanfic written about them) usually turn a blind
eye to the process if it doesn't get greedy, but it _is_ an infringement.
Which is why, if you're _going_ to write fanfic for others to read, best to
steer clear of things like printing it out and selling it. Just a little
helpful tip.

Me, I wouldn't do it at all if I wanted to be a professional writer. Seems
like a bad idea to start your career on an infringement. Plus, if your goal
is to do this for a living, you really ought to be able to create your _own_
characters and situations.

Amy
--
Ten Thousand Questions Blog:
A Question a Day for Journaling, Self-Discovery, and Transformation

Dennis (Icarus)

Feb 20, 2009, 8:43:56 AM2/20/09
"Amy Guskin" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Me, I wouldn't do it at all if I wanted to be a professional writer.
> Seems
> like a bad idea to start your career on an infringement. Plus, if your
> goal
> is to do this for a living, you really ought to be able to create your
> _own_
> characters and situations.

Indeed. While B5 is a wonderful universe, and fun to explore, it'd be better
to create your own playground.

<snip>

Dennis

.

Doug Freyburger

Feb 20, 2009, 10:47:45 AM2/20/09
Duggy <P.Allan.Dug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can make a Shakespeare film with dodgy sets, bad actors, no budget
> and a bad director and end up wit6h crap.  You can also make great
> films from Shakespeare.

On the other hand you can do a Shakespeare reading with no sets
at all, very well versed reader/actors, no budget, and excellent
direction and it will go off extremely well.

> The execution can make or break a story no matter how good it is.

The question to me was what parts are execution and what parts
aren't. Using the Shakespeare example it's clear that everything
that goes into a script is execution - story line, dialogue, accessing
the depths of human nature, memorable language, characters that
end up vivid no matter how brief their appearance and so on. Using
the Shakespeare example it's also far from clear how much of the
mapping of film script to movie counts as execution. Funny how
script writer Joe would see it with that perspective ...

So now Joe's doing a remake of Forbidden Planet which is a
remake of Tempest. Taping that old Shakespeare, very cool stuff.

Matt Ion

Feb 20, 2009, 11:12:08 AM2/20/09
Ron wrote:

> You know, I was thinking, I would like to do some collaborative work
> in sci-fi. Maybe find a like minded Christian write or at least
> someone with a high moral standard. One of the things I liked about
> B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
> scantily dressed women.

I'd attribute that less to Christian standards (JMS is a self-professed
atheist) and more to simple good taste and the desire to tell a story
without resorting to such gimmicks.

Oh, and there is a good bit of swearing... just not in 20th-century
English. Abso-fraggin'-lutely! :)

Amy Guskin

Feb 20, 2009, 1:36:05 PM2/20/09
<090632ce-ff63-4957...@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>):

> Duggy <P.Allan.Dug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can make a Shakespeare film with dodgy sets, bad actors, no budget
>> and a bad director and end up wit6h crap.  You can also make great
>> films from Shakespeare.
>
> On the other hand you can do a Shakespeare reading with no sets
> at all, very well versed reader/actors, no budget, and excellent
> direction and it will go off extremely well.
>
>> The execution can make or break a story no matter how good it is.
>
> The question to me was what parts are execution and what parts
> aren't. <<

I dunno. I think you're all making this much more complicated than it was
meant to be. The way I read it, Joe was saying anyone can have an idea --
that's not what's valuable. It's the story you write from that idea that
matters, that has value.

Jan

Feb 20, 2009, 3:54:29 PM2/20/09
In article <c0241b1b-8222-40d6...@p20g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Ron says...

>You know, I was thinking, I would like to do some collaborative work
>in sci-fi. Maybe find a like minded Christian write or at least
>someone with a high moral standard. One of the things I liked about
>B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
>scantily dressed women.

When a pooster commented one time on the number of times "hell" was used on the
show JMS replied:

>That's the result when hell is the only profanity you can use in broadcast
>television.
>
>There are any number of far more colorful turms I'd much rather have used.
>
>jms

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16995

For instance the amount of profanity and nudity on Jeremiah was considerably
greater because it was on a pay cable show where it could be and because the
story was more realistic with it.

Jan

--
Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize
this singular truth: that we are one; and this singular rule: that

John W Kennedy

Feb 20, 2009, 4:41:13 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 3:15 am, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a fan I just didn't like the destruction of the
> station in the last episode of B5, so I wrote a plausible re-
> construction and a continuation of the storyline, advancing it an
> additional 5 years.

By a remarkable coincidence, I just happened to make a digital
transcription of the following this week:

Edgar
Your leave, my liege, for an unwelcome message.
Edmund (but that's a trifle) is expired.
What more will touch you, your imperious daughters,
Goneril and haughty Regan, both are dead,
Each by the other poisoned at a Banquet;
This, dying, they confessed.

Cordelia
O fatal period of ill-governed life!

Lear
Ingrateful as they were, my heart feels yet
A pang of nature for their wretched fall. --
But, Edgar, I defer thy joys too long.
Thou servedst distressed Cordelia; take her crowned,
The imperial grace fresh blooming on her brow,
Nay, Gloucester, thou hast here a father's right,
Thy helping hand to heap blessings on their heads.

Kent
Old Kent throws in his hearty wishes, too.

Edgar
The gods and you too largely recompense
What I have done; the gift strikes Merit dumb.

Cordelia
Nor do I blush to own myself o'erpaid
For all my sufferings past.

Gloucester
Now, gentle gods, give Gloucester his discharge.

Lear
No, Gloucester, thou hast business yet for life;
Thou, Kent, and I, retired to some close cell,
Will gently pass our short reserves of time
In calm reflections on our fortunes past,
Cheered with relation of the prosperous reign
Of this celestial pair; thus our remains
Shall in an even course of thoughts be passed,
Enjoy the present hour, nor fear the last.

Edgar
Our drooping country now erects her head,
Peace spreads her balmy wings, and Plenty blooms,
Divine Cordelia, all the gods can witness
How much thy love to Empire I prefer!
Thy bright example shall convince the world
(Whatever storms of fortune are decreed)
That Truth and Virtue shall at last succeed.
[Exeunt Omnes.

-- Nahum Tate's improved version of Shakespeare

> You know, I was thinking, I would like to do some collaborative work
> in sci-fi.  Maybe find a like minded Christian write or at least
> someone with a high moral standard.  One of the things I liked about
> B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
> scantily dressed women.

If you set out to write Christian SF, you're likely to end up with
something at about the literary level of the Archie/Spire comicbooks
of the early 70s. If you are a Christian, as you say you are, just
write the stories that want you to write them, and let Faith tend to
itself. (Of course, if you so much as mention Christianity, you'll be
accused of being "preachy" anyway, but that's no excuse for actually
being preachy, which is a sin against Art -- and if you believe that
God has called you to be an artist, then a sin against Art is a sin
against God.)

> One of the things I liked about
> B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
> scantily dressed women.

"And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many
publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, "Why
eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?"

But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, "They that be whole need
not a physician, but they that are sick. But go ye and learn what that
meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to
call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

John W Kennedy

Feb 20, 2009, 4:48:26 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 10:47 am, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Duggy <P.Allan.Dug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can make a Shakespeare film with dodgy sets, bad actors, no budget
> > and a bad director and end up wit6h crap.  You can also make great
> > films from Shakespeare.

> On the other hand you can do a Shakespeare reading with no sets
> at all, very well versed reader/actors, no budget, and excellent
> direction and it will go off extremely well.

Not, as a rule, with "no budget".

> > The execution can make or break a story no matter how good it is.

> The question to me was what parts are execution and what parts
> aren't.  Using the Shakespeare example it's clear that everything
> that goes into a script is execution - story line, dialogue, accessing
> the depths of human nature, memorable language, characters that
> end up vivid no matter how brief their appearance and so on.  Using
> the Shakespeare example it's also far from clear how much of the
> mapping of film script to movie counts as execution.  Funny how
> script writer Joe would see it with that perspective ...

> So now Joe's doing a remake of Forbidden Planet which is a
> remake of Tempest.  Taping that old Shakespeare, very cool stuff.

Despite decades of mythology on the subject, "Forbidden Planet" is a
long way from being a "remake of 'The Tempest'". It has many elements
displaying clear isomorphisms to "The Tempest", but, in the end, it's
an entirely different story, just as "Hamlet" is entirely different
from "The Libation Bearers".

John W Kennedy

Feb 20, 2009, 4:50:59 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 1:36 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> I dunno.  I think you're all making this much more complicated than it was
> meant to be.  The way I read it, Joe was saying anyone can have an idea --
> that's not what's valuable.  It's the story you write from that idea that
> matters, that has value.

I agree that that is what Joe meant at the time. The conversion of the
script into a DVD is also "execution" in its own way, but is another
issue.

Amy Guskin

Feb 20, 2009, 7:43:50 PM2/20/09
<gnn5a...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> In article
> <c0241b1b-8222-40d6...@p20g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
> Ron says...
>>

>> You know, I was thinking, I would like to do some collaborative work
>> in sci-fi. Maybe find a like minded Christian write or at least
>> someone with a high moral standard. One of the things I liked about
>> B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
>> scantily dressed women.
>>

> When a pooster commented one time on the number of times "hell" was used on
> the
> show JMS replied:
>
>> That's the result when hell is the only profanity you can use in broadcast
>> television.
>>
>> There are any number of far more colorful turms I'd much rather have used.<<

And this all made me think of _this_ post:

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-6389&query=censors

Amy Guskin

Feb 20, 2009, 7:48:33 PM2/20/09
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:48:26 -0500, thus spake John W Kennedy (in article
<a935b9ff-0647-4522...@q25g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>):

....and as The Monkees are entirely different from The Beatles...

Wes Struebing

Feb 20, 2009, 8:33:09 PM2/20/09
On 20 Feb 2009 12:54:29 -0800, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>In article <c0241b1b-8222-40d6...@p20g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
>Ron says...
>>

>>You know, I was thinking, I would like to do some collaborative work
>>in sci-fi. Maybe find a like minded Christian write or at least
>>someone with a high moral standard. One of the things I liked about
>>B5 is the minimum amount of cursing and the very few appearances of
>>scantily dressed women.
>>

>When a pooster commented one time on the number of times "hell" was used on the
>show JMS replied:
>
>>That's the result when hell is the only profanity you can use in broadcast
>>television.
>>
>>There are any number of far more colorful turms I'd much rather have used.
>>
>>jms
>
>http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16995
>
>For instance the amount of profanity and nudity on Jeremiah was considerably
>greater because it was on a pay cable show where it could be and because the
>story was more realistic with it.

<grins> Especially Kurdy!

But the language fit, and did NOT "stand out" or take you out of the
story because it was gratuitous...(IOW it was NOT gratuitous)

But, yeah - certainly more and certainly more varied...

Chris Adams

Feb 20, 2009, 9:59:14 PM2/20/09
Once upon a time, Wes Struebing <str...@carpedementem.org> said:
>But the language fit, and did NOT "stand out" or take you out of the
>story because it was gratuitous...(IOW it was NOT gratuitous)

Back on "Dead Like Me" (since it is fresh in my mind), there was a
pretty good bit of swearing in that show. However, it fit; George is 18
years old after all, and reacts to everything with the first word that
comes in to her mind.

On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
over-frakking-done. I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
circumstances?

--
Chris Adams <cma...@hiwaay.net>

Ron

Feb 20, 2009, 11:36:16 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 7:33 pm, Wes Struebing <str...@carpedementem.org> wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2009 12:54:29 -0800, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >In article <c0241b1b-8222-40d6-9cd5-4d0fed8ac...@p20g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
> But, yeah - certainly more and certainly more varied...- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps thats the reason I didn't notice it so much. It didn't
detract from the story or the general dialog, dialogue, dialogi ...

- Ron

Ron

Feb 20, 2009, 11:37:21 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 8:59 pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
> Once upon a time, Wes Struebing  <str...@carpedementem.org> said:
>
> >But the language fit, and did NOT "stand out" or take you out of the
> >story because it was gratuitous...(IOW it was NOT gratuitous)
>
> Back on "Dead Like Me" (since it is fresh in my mind), there was a
> pretty good bit of swearing in that show.  However, it fit; George is 18
> years old after all, and reacts to everything with the first word that
> comes in to her mind.
>
> On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
> over-frakking-done.  I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
> frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
> circumstances?
>
> --
> Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>

> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Well it obvisouly fraks up the show.

- Ron

caddickj

Feb 20, 2009, 10:54:57 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 4:41 pm, John W Kennedy <John.W.Kenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 3:15 am, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>snip<

>...which is a sin against Art -- and if you believe that

> God has called you to be an artist, then a sin against Art is a sin
> against God.)

"Our Father, who is Art in heaven..."
-- Bull (Night Court)

Amy Guskin

Feb 21, 2009, 8:41:34 AM2/21/09
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:36:16 -0500, thus spake Ron (in article
<d590121d-454c-48d9...@g38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>):

_Didn't notice_ the profanity in Jeremiah??!! Are you sure you _saw_ it?
;-)

Jan

Feb 21, 2009, 11:26:58 AM2/21/09
In article <0001HW.C5C56EBE...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
says...

>>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:36:16 -0500, thus spake Ron (in article=20
><d590121d-454c-48d9...@g38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>):

>> On Feb 20, 7:33=A0pm, Wes Struebing <str...@carpedementem.org> wrote:
>>> On 20 Feb 2009 12:54:29 -0800, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20

>ut
>>>=20
>sed=20

>>>=20
>adcast
>>>=20
> used.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>use=20

>>>=20
>>> <grins> =A0Especially Kurdy!
>>>=20

>>> But the language fit, and did NOT "stand out" or take you out of the
>>> story because it was gratuitous...(IOW it was NOT gratuitous)
>>>=20
>>> But, yeah - certainly more and certainly more varied...- Hide quoted t=
>ext -
>>>=20

>>=20

>> Perhaps thats the reason I didn't notice it so much. It didn't
>> detract from the story or the general dialog, dialogue, dialogi ... <<
>
>_Didn't notice_ the profanity in Jeremiah??!! Are you sure you _saw_ it?=
> =20
>;-)

He may have seen it on the Sci-Fi Channel which was the sanitized version. I
still regret missing the first part of the pilot to find out what JMS replaced
Kurdy's 'fuckosity' rant with. <g>

David Williams

Feb 21, 2009, 11:56:36 AM2/21/09

> On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
> over-frakking-done. I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
> frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
> circumstances?

Gordon Ramsay

Bill

Feb 21, 2009, 5:52:00 PM2/21/09
On Feb 20, 9:59�pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
> On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
> over-frakking-done. �I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
> frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
> circumstances?

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you have never served
in the U.S. military. Using the f-word as every other word is actually
common in the service. The Air Force, where I served, is *good* about
it. The Navy is a little worse and the Army a little worse than that.
And then there's the Marines <shudder>

Bill

Amy Guskin

Feb 21, 2009, 7:33:19 PM2/21/09
<gnpa0...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> In article <0001HW.C5C56EBE...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
> says...

>>> Perhaps thats the reason I didn't notice it so much. It didn't

>>> detract from the story or the general dialog, dialogue, dialogi ... <<
>>
>> _Didn't notice_ the profanity in Jeremiah??!! Are you sure you _saw_ it?=
>> =20
>> ;-)
>>

> He may have seen it on the Sci-Fi Channel which was the sanitized version. I
> still regret missing the first part of the pilot to find out what JMS
replaced
> Kurdy's 'fuckosity' rant with. <g> <<

Ah, yeah, I totally forgot they ran it. I'm still so pissed that the second
season isn't on DVD...

Wes Struebing

Feb 21, 2009, 10:30:33 PM2/21/09

Only he doesn't know from frakking...<G>

Frakkin' idiot!

David Williams

Feb 22, 2009, 1:14:43 AM2/22/09

"Bill" <feline...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Feb 20, 9:59?pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
> I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you have never
> served in the U.S. military.

Two of the greatest acronyms ever contain it, and we have the U.S. Military
to thank for both:

SNAFU
FUBAR

Oh, and I'll also go out on a limb and suggest Ron has never served time in
a restaurant kitchen...

David W.

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 22, 2009, 1:27:13 AM2/22/09
On Feb 21, 5:52 pm, Bill <feline_ran...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you have never served
> in the U.S. military. Using the f-word as every other word is actually
> common in the service.

A classic example being an anonymous private's description of a broken-
down Jeep:

"The f***in' f***er's f***ed!"

<g>

Joe

Ron

Feb 22, 2009, 1:38:40 AM2/22/09
On Feb 22, 12:14 am, "David Williams" <kosh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Bill" <feline_ran...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Did my stint in the USN. Some KP duty during training lay-over.. but
no, I've never worked as a civilian in a restaurant.

- Ron

Matt Ion

Feb 22, 2009, 2:08:22 AM2/22/09
David Williams wrote:
> "Bill" <feline...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 20, 9:59?pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
>> I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you have never
>> served in the U.S. military.
>
> Two of the greatest acronyms ever contain it, and we have the U.S. Military
> to thank for both:
>
> SNAFU
> FUBAR

One of my favorite quotes comes from a Ted Nugent interview... I don't
recall exactly what he was referring to, but he summed his thoughts up
with, "We had a term for it when I was in the military; it's three
syllables, and the first two are 'cluster'."

Dennis (Icarus)

Feb 22, 2009, 7:11:38 AM2/22/09
>"Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
The fracking frackkers fracked?

Dennis

.

Amy Guskin

Feb 22, 2009, 8:31:56 AM2/22/09
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 07:11:38 -0500, thus spake Dennis \(Icarus\) (in article
<2c3e2$49a14461$4c499b29$29...@KNOLOGY.NET>):

Nope, "The fracking _fracker's_ fracked!" <g>

Donald Arseneau

Feb 21, 2009, 11:18:40 PM2/21/09
On Feb 20, 6:59 pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
> On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
> over-frakking-done. I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
> frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
> circumstances?

Soldiers.

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 22, 2009, 8:55:51 AM2/22/09

Teenagers.

Christophe Bachmann

Feb 22, 2009, 10:15:27 AM2/22/09
Dennis (Icarus) a écrit :

>> A classic example being an anonymous private's description of a broken-
>> down Jeep:
>>
>> "The f***in' f***er's f***ed!"
>>
>> <g>
>>
> The fracking frackkers fracked?
>
> Dennis
> .

No, the frakking frakker's frakked.
Because there is one frakker, and not multiple frakkers, and the frakker
is frakked and did not frak.

Thus less you have frakking meaning in the frakking words less you can
frak with the frakking grammar without frakking communication.

Reading the smurfs brings lots of practice in this exercise.
--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Château du Ciel, Drachenwald,

Dennis (Icarus)

Feb 22, 2009, 11:00:30 AM2/22/09

>>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 07:11:38 -0500, thus spake Dennis \(Icarus\) (in
>>> article
> <2c3e2$49a14461$4c499b29$29...@KNOLOGY.NET>):
>
>>> "Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> A classic example being an anonymous private's description of a broken-
>>> down Jeep:
>>>
>>> "The f***in' f***er's f***ed!"
>>>
>>> <g>
>>>
>> The fracking frackkers fracked? <<
>
> Nope, "The fracking _fracker's_ fracked!" <g>

<g>
Now there's an example of executing unsuccesful writing.
No, not Amy's, go up two more two more lines, starting with ">> The".

May I plead typo?
</g>

Dennis

.

Amy Guskin

Feb 22, 2009, 12:14:46 PM2/22/09
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:00:30 -0500, thus spake Dennis \(Icarus\) (in article
<b0693$49a1774d$4c499b29$27...@KNOLOGY.NET>):

And here I was willing to assume that you were simply mistaken in context,
and were instead referring to two fracking frackers, er, fracking. :-)

gabi

Feb 22, 2009, 1:29:30 PM2/22/09
On Feb 21, 9:56 am, "David Williams" <kosh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Ron" <apart...@gmail.com> wrote in message

my younger sister! though she's not into scifi, so she uses freak'n.
all the freak'n time.

lg

Dennis (Icarus)

Feb 22, 2009, 8:06:08 PM2/22/09
"Amy Guskin" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
<snip>

>>> Nope, "The fracking _fracker's_ fracked!" <g>
>>
>> <g>
>> Now there's an example of executing unsuccesful writing.
>> No, not Amy's, go up two more two more lines, starting with ">> The".
>>
>> May I plead typo?
>> </g> <<
>
> And here I was willing to assume that you were simply mistaken in context,
> and were instead referring to two fracking frackers, er, fracking. :-)

Nope, had an extra k and misplaced the apostrophe.
Though I understand municipalities are starting to do the same for street &
plane names.

Dennis

.

Vince M Hudd

Feb 23, 2009, 6:18:51 AM2/23/09
cma...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

> On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
> over-frakking-done. I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
> frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
> circumstances?

How the frell should I frelling know?

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Vince M Hudd

Feb 23, 2009, 6:21:13 AM2/23/09
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

[Jeremiah]

> I'm still so pissed that the second season isn't on DVD...

You and me both!

I have the region one set of season one - and a few years ago, Sky One had
season two listed in their schedules for just after Christmas that year. I
quickly dug out the DVDs to watch it again over the next couple of weeks so
that it was all fresh in my mind...

...and Season Two then disappeared from the schedules.

Bah!

Dan Dassow

Feb 23, 2009, 7:50:53 AM2/23/09
On Feb 23, 5:18 am, Vince M Hudd <s...@softrock.co.uk> wrote:

> cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
> > On the other hand, in what little I've seen of the new BSG, it seems
> > over-frakking-done.  I mean, come on; who frakking uses frak every other
> > frakking word out of their frakking mouth, no matter the frakking
> > circumstances?
>
> How the frell should I frelling know?

Feldercarb!

Dan Dassow

Amy Guskin

Feb 23, 2009, 9:12:12 AM2/23/09
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:50:53 -0500, thus spake Dan Dassow (in article
<5ed4871c-b2b4-470e...@e6g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>):

Sorry to nitpick, Dan: that's actually "felgercarb."

Matt Ion

Feb 23, 2009, 10:46:32 AM2/23/09

I found a torrent or two of season two... so far neither seems to have
any seeders. Probably sourced off someone's PVR.

Doug Freyburger

Feb 23, 2009, 11:15:57 AM2/23/09
"David Williams" <kosh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Bill" <feline_ran...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you have never
> > served in the U.S. military.

It permanently f'ed my vocabulary.

> Two of the greatest acronyms ever contain it, and we have the U.S. Military
> to thank for both:
>
> SNAFU
> FUBAR

And yet the more artistic BOHICA manages it without using
the word. There's a lot of situations that any of those acronyms
fit throughout the B5 arc.

Bill

Feb 23, 2009, 11:43:21 PM2/23/09
On Feb 22, 12:14�pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> And here I was willing to assume that you were simply mistaken in context,
> and were instead referring to two fracking frackers, er, fracking. �:-)

Is it just me, or does "Two frakkers frakking" sound like a line from
the BSG version of the 12 Days of Christmas?

Bill

Wes Struebing

Feb 24, 2009, 9:53:31 PM2/24/09
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:12:12 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:50:53 -0500, thus spake Dan Dassow (in article
><5ed4871c-b2b4-470e...@e6g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>):

>>> How the frell should I frelling know?
>>>

>> Feldercarb! <<
>
>Sorry to nitpick, Dan: that's actually "felgercarb."

Thanks, Amy. You beat me to it...<G>
(Good ol' Battelstar Ponderosa.)

Wes Struebing

Feb 24, 2009, 9:54:12 PM2/24/09

BOHICA?

Amy Guskin

Feb 24, 2009, 10:03:47 PM2/24/09
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:54:12 -0500, thus spake Wes Struebing (in article
<4mc9q4hrvgub7auf1...@4ax.com>):

Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 24, 2009, 10:57:16 PM2/24/09
On Feb 24, 10:03 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> > BOHICA?<<
>
> Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

Thanks for explaining that. I always wondered what those letters
meant on the IRS seal.

Later,

Joe

Joe Osman

Feb 25, 2009, 6:31:45 AM2/25/09
On Feb 24, 10:03 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:54:12 -0500, thus spake Wes Struebing (in article
>
> <4mc9q4hrvgub7auf1uckknl5il9uogp...@4ax.com>):

When I was in the Marines, whenever they were screwing us about
something, the Staff NCO's would always say "It's no big deal". We
would respond with the words from the UCMJ Article for rape -
"Penetration, however slight, constitutes an offense".

Joe

Chris Patterson

Feb 25, 2009, 3:53:05 PM2/25/09
In article
<ae832340-35c0-4462...@e18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
Joseph DeMartino <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

The entire casts of "Weeds" and "The Sopranos". West coast and east
coast...
Chris Patterson        chris dot s dot patterson at gmail dot com
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of
doubts." -- Bertrand Russell

Wes Struebing

Feb 25, 2009, 10:18:36 PM2/25/09
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 03:03:47 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:54:12 -0500, thus spake Wes Struebing (in article

><4mc9q4hrvgub7auf1...@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:15:57 -0800 (PST), Doug Freyburger
>> <dfre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> It permanently f'ed my vocabulary.

>>> And yet the more artistic BOHICA manages it without using
>>> the word. There's a lot of situations that any of those acronyms
>>> fit throughout the B5 arc.
>>
>> BOHICA?<<
>
>Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

OK...(actually, I'll be getting it come the end of March...)

Bill

Feb 25, 2009, 11:03:19 PM2/25/09
On Feb 24, 10:03�pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >BOHICA?<<
>
> Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

heh heh ... Here's a case that could only be called providence of a
sort. I recently bought a combo VCR/DVD recorder and have been
transferring my tapes to DVD. So what did I transfer the very day this
post was made? A Dr. Who story called "The Brain of Morbius." So now
I'm wondering if this character name, http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0120164/,
was influenced by the above acronym.

Bill