Concept art for World War Z film

1 view

Amy Guskin

Jan 29, 2009, 7:21:57 PM1/29/09
Nifty first glimpse:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/28/awesome-concept-art-for-max-brooks-
world-war-z-movie/

or

http://tinyurl.com/bmpc7n

Amy
--
Ten Thousand Questions Blog:
A Question a Day for Journaling, Self-Discovery, and Transformation
"2009 is the Year of Questions"
tenthousandquestions.com

Josh Hill

Jan 30, 2009, 3:51:11 PM1/30/09
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:21:57 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

Pretty impressive!

--
Josh

"What is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?" - Sarah Palin

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Jan 31, 2009, 6:44:40 AM1/31/09
WWZ was the first (and still the best) Zombie novel I read. I'm really
looking forward to this.... :-)

Hank Arnold (MVP _ DS)

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Elko T

Feb 2, 2009, 11:03:59 PM2/2/09

Sigh... Yet another JMS piece after Changeling that I won't be
watching. When will Lensmen finally arrive, so I can see something to
my liking, when?... :)

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Feb 3, 2009, 4:30:30 AM2/3/09

What exactly are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand your
point. This is just art work, not actual film clips...

Alan Dicey

Feb 3, 2009, 5:15:51 AM2/3/09
Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:
> Elko T wrote:

>> Sigh... Yet another JMS piece after Changeling that I won't be
>> watching. When will Lensmen finally arrive, so I can see something to
>> my liking, when?... :)
>>

> What exactly are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand your
> point. This is just art work, not actual film clips...

Can't answer for Elko, but for me zombies are too ridiculous and break
my suspenders of disbelief. So it doesn't matter how good the writing
is, the concept itself snookers the presentation.

Elko T

Feb 3, 2009, 6:06:28 AM2/3/09

Well yes, you can answer for me! :) As concerns zombies, that is.
This is my reason for not watching or reading any works about them.

Amy Guskin

Feb 3, 2009, 9:38:49 AM2/3/09
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 05:15:51 -0500, thus spake Alan Dicey (in article
<uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>):

But...you're okay with Vorlons and First Ones and telepaths?

Gregory Weston

Feb 3, 2009, 9:54:47 AM2/3/09
In article <uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>,
Alan Dicey <al...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

Bummer. You won't be prepared when it happens, then.

There's a cute little parasite called toxoplasmosa gondii that infects
rats and apparently rewires their brain so they actively seek out cats.
Because cat intestines are apparently the best environment for them to
reproduce. Roughly half of the human population is also infected and
there's suspicion that it has some effect on us, too.

--
"Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
- Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix

Alan Dicey

Feb 3, 2009, 10:05:40 AM2/3/09
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 05:15:51 -0500, thus spake Alan Dicey (in article
> <uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>):
>
>> Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:
>>>>
>>> What exactly are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand your
>>> point. This is just art work, not actual film clips...
>>>
>> Can't answer for Elko, but for me zombies are too ridiculous and break
>> my suspenders of disbelief. So it doesn't matter how good the writing
>> is, the concept itself snookers the presentation. <<
>
> But...you're okay with Vorlons and First Ones and telepaths?
>
> Amy

Yep, Vorlons, Shadows and First Ones are all nice takes on the "Godlike
Elder Races" theme, encountered in other places like Brin's Uplift
books, Clarke's Childhoods End, 2001, and etc. No problem for me, I can
construct a rational explanation that lets me accept them.

Telepaths too, more so the way JMS has written them as the result of
meddling by those Elder Races, and as a socially divisive force (these
people *really* *are* different, demonstrably so), provoking tribalism
in a way similar to van Vogt's Slans. It's one of those
wish-fulfillment superpowers that crops up frequently in SF, but again I
can live with it as a plot device.

Zombies, on the other hand, I have problems with. Their origin in the
Voodoo religion doesn't help, and I associate them with trashy B-movies.
Wikipedia attributes the popular view of zombies as arising out of the
success of George Romero's 1968 movie "Night of the Living Dead", which
gives some support to my prejudice.

At best (for me) zombies are risible, cartoonish figures, cardboard
cutout monsters - although I wasn't taken by Shaun of the Dead, but that
may well be due to the dumbed-down state of modern British comedy. Any
attempt to present zombies as seriously threatening or scary is most
likely to irritate me.

Amy Guskin

Feb 3, 2009, 10:10:50 AM2/3/09
<uce-B4A6A7.0...@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net>):

> In article <uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>,
> Alan Dicey <al...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:

>>> What exactly are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand your
>>> point. This is just art work, not actual film clips...
>>>

>> Can't answer for Elko, but for me zombies are too ridiculous and break
>> my suspenders of disbelief. So it doesn't matter how good the writing
>> is, the concept itself snookers the presentation.
>
> Bummer. You won't be prepared when it happens, then. <<

But there's only a few really important rules they need to know, the most
important being: aim for the head!

Amy Guskin

Feb 3, 2009, 10:30:16 AM2/3/09
<A96dnT9mIa7TwBXU...@posted.plusnet>):

>> <uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>):

>>> Can't answer for Elko, but for me zombies are too ridiculous and break
>>> my suspenders of disbelief. So it doesn't matter how good the writing
>>> is, the concept itself snookers the presentation. <<
>>
>> But...you're okay with Vorlons and First Ones and telepaths?
>>
>> Amy
>
> Yep, Vorlons, Shadows and First Ones are all nice takes on the "Godlike
> Elder Races" theme, encountered in other places like Brin's Uplift
> books, Clarke's Childhoods End, 2001, and etc. No problem for me, I can
> construct a rational explanation that lets me accept them. <<

Pardon me while I roll my eyes a bit. <g> From this statement, it seems like
you are just picking and choosing what fictions to accept. I don't see any
more rational reason for one over the other.

>> Zombies, on the other hand, I have problems with. Their origin in the
> Voodoo religion doesn't help, and I associate them with trashy B-movies.
> Wikipedia attributes the popular view of zombies as arising out of the
> success of George Romero's 1968 movie "Night of the Living Dead", which
> gives some support to my prejudice. <<

The thing is, what is a zombie in Voudon and what is a zombie in horror
movies are generally two very different things (although the "28 Days" series
was sort of leaning in the right direction). And, the funny thing about this
discussion is: there is actual scientific evidence making the case for
zombies. Not dead folks who have risen, mind: rather, living people who have
been drugged to the point that they _appear_ to be (overdramatically stated)
'living dead.' See Wade Davis's books, "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and
"Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie." Dude is a
Harvard-educated botanist.

So really, zombie movies shouldn't come under any more scrutiny, from an "is
this possible?" perspective, than movies about teeps, or Vorlons. Less, in
fact. But you have to be choosy about your zombie movies, I guess -- only go
for the ones that offer the explanation that these are people either infected
or drugged, who haven't actually dropped dead and come back to life.

>> At best (for me) zombies are risible, cartoonish figures, cardboard
> cutout monsters - although I wasn't taken by Shaun of the Dead, but that
> may well be due to the dumbed-down state of modern British comedy. Any
> attempt to present zombies as seriously threatening or scary is most
> likely to irritate me. <<

Aw, I rather liked "Shaun of the Dead." Particularly the line that they
twisted themselves into a pretzel to fit into the scene with the jukebox:
"Kill the Queen!" I guess I liked it because I thought it was a great use of
humor, while not treading over the line into spoof. I think they _marketed_
it that way, but it was actually a valid, serious zombie film.

Alan Dicey

Feb 3, 2009, 10:43:49 AM2/3/09
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:05:40 -0500, thus spake Alan Dicey (in article
> <A96dnT9mIa7TwBXU...@posted.plusnet>):

>>> <uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>):

>>> But...you're okay with Vorlons and First Ones and telepaths?
>>>

>> Yep, Vorlons, Shadows and First Ones are all nice takes on the "Godlike
>> Elder Races" theme, encountered in other places like Brin's Uplift
>> books, Clarke's Childhoods End, 2001, and etc. No problem for me, I can
>> construct a rational explanation that lets me accept them. <<
>
> Pardon me while I roll my eyes a bit. <g> From this statement, it seems like
> you are just picking and choosing what fictions to accept. I don't see any
> more rational reason for one over the other.

Look, I'm not claiming any kind of superiority here, just an inability
to take zombies seriously. Hence a lack of patience with zombie movies
in general and preferring to avoid them. A personal failing, nothing more.

>>> Zombies, on the other hand, I have problems with. Their origin in the
>> Voodoo religion doesn't help, and I associate them with trashy B-movies.
>> Wikipedia attributes the popular view of zombies as arising out of the
>> success of George Romero's 1968 movie "Night of the Living Dead", which
>> gives some support to my prejudice. <<
>
> The thing is, what is a zombie in Voudon and what is a zombie in horror
> movies are generally two very different things (although the "28 Days" series
> was sort of leaning in the right direction). And, the funny thing about this
> discussion is: there is actual scientific evidence making the case for
> zombies. Not dead folks who have risen, mind: rather, living people who have
> been drugged to the point that they _appear_ to be (overdramatically stated)
> 'living dead.' See Wade Davis's books, "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and
> "Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie." Dude is a
> Harvard-educated botanist.

That's as may be: I've put him in the same box as Pons and Fleischer,
plausible charlatans who can't reproduce their claims. Which in Davis's
case are approaching the appearance of a zombie from the wrong side - a
method of nearly killing someone that produces a mindless slave,
(plausible, just) rather than a reanimated corpse (implausible).

Dave Hayslett

Feb 3, 2009, 1:12:38 PM2/3/09
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:10:50 GMT, Amy Guskin wrote:

>>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:54:47 -0500, thus spake Gregory Weston (in article
> <uce-B4A6A7.0...@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net>):
>
>> In article <uIqdncjkq6P9hBXU...@posted.plusnet>,
>> Alan Dicey <al...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Can't answer for Elko, but for me zombies are too ridiculous and break
>>> my suspenders of disbelief. So it doesn't matter how good the writing
>>> is, the concept itself snookers the presentation.
>>
>> Bummer. You won't be prepared when it happens, then. <<
>
> But there's only a few really important rules they need to know, the most
> important being: aim for the head!

Do they have boots?

--
Dave (2/3/2009 1:12:31 PM)

Who is this "they" they're always talking about?

Jo'Asia

Feb 3, 2009, 6:00:43 PM2/3/09
Elko T wrote:

> Well yes, you can answer for me! :) As concerns zombies, that is.
> This is my reason for not watching or reading any works about them.

Not long ago I thought something like that myself. And then I had to
choose something from convention prize store - as usual most of the
interesting things I already had, so I settled on "World War Z"
remembering the JMS script.

I could not put the book down. And I will go see the movie if only it will
be shown in Poland.

Jo'Asia

--
__.-=-. -< Joanna Slupek >----------------------< http://esensja.pl/ >-